MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start - Mavs2021 - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 03:54 PM)mvossman Wrote: My problem with this mentality is that when this mistake is repeated regularly you start running into cap and tax issues and next thing you know the owner is letting the second best player on the team walk because he is choking on the tax bill (I'm not saying that is the only reason Brunson walked).  When we continually do unnecessary contracts like Powell, Burke, Brown, Boban, McGee it adds up.

It´s absolutely flabbergasting how people cannot comprehend this after being NBA fans for decades. The Mavs are in this consistent state of lack of high end talent and player/trade assets, because they make so many dumb mistakes, small and big.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - cow - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 04:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Still time to turn Powell/Green into a rotation-worthy non-center, so I’ll keep hoping.

Those players don't have enough value to return a rotation-worthy player without attaching assets.  I'm also 87% sure that all statistics are made up on the spot.  Everyone knows the JB situation sucks and it's left a hole, but using that and Powell's lousy contract as bullets in the clip to shoot down a partial rMLE signing at a position of need seems ridiculous.  Brunson walking for nothing and our cap situation always meant we'd be barrel scraping to improve the roster.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - KillerLeft - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 04:18 PM)cow Wrote: Someone being on the roster on a bad contract doesn't mean you shouldn't try to bolster the position group.  Brunson leaving is kind of an arbitrary bullet point.  

Powell might have some value as an expiring contract as part of a salary match in a bigger deal but you aren't just going to get rid of him for nothing.

This doesn’t really address my point. It’s about roster balance.

WITH THE ROSTER IN ITS CURRENT STATE, both McGee and Powell are in their top 9, so both will get played. If not, there is no way they can exist without DEPENDING on one of Green, Ntilikina, Hardy or whomever mystery guest #15 is. Let’s say Dorsey for holding the place. 

And, they CERTAINLY can’t get away with not player EITHER McGee or Powell, no matter how much they might want to. At least one of them, and probably both, are going to see the floor, imho.

…without some sort of additional roster shakeup. I’m going to keep praying.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - Kammrath - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 04:28 PM)Winter Wrote: Most of these threads the last few days are just rampant with speculation.

[Image: all-of-this-pointing.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - KillerLeft - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 04:28 PM)Winter Wrote: This is all pretty weird if you think about. I'm not calling you out at all KillerLeft, but I need to state the obvious here.

Most of these threads the last few days are just rampant with speculation. We are speculating on a head coaching change less than a year old, a Front Office less than a year old, and players under contract who have never played together in a system we are only vaguely familiar with. 

I realize this is what message boards do. But the last few days, it's hard to call most of these posts well-grounded opinions. There's almost no history to the Mavericks coaches, front office, or several players. We're all just imagining what it will be like, then getting overly morose about outcomes we can't possibly predict.

I have no good idea how these guys will play together, don't feel particularly informed about Kidd's "system" right now, and haven't really seen enough of Wood or McGee to tell you exactly what these guys will bring. Since we got to the WCF last season, I'll at least give the coaches a chance of putting together the pieces they choose without gnashing my teeth. 

I get that Free Agency has been historically bad for the Mavericks, but I feel we chewed all the flavor out of that gum two weeks ago. 

Honestly, I'm at a point where I expect one more trade so I keep checking the wire and reading the posts. But it's getting downright apocalyptic in here.

The “wait until the end of the off-season” part of your point is valid, but as you say, this is what we do. I’ve tried to be careful to qualify everything with “in the roster’s current state,” etc. But sure - there’s still time. 

As far as how the current pieces fit together, I disagree that we can’t make the assumptions I’m making. Maybe I’m not doing a good enough job of articulating my concerns, but I feel like I can see problems coming from a mile away.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - cow - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 04:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This doesn’t really address my point. It’s about roster balance.

WITH THE ROSTER IN ITS CURRENT STATE, both McGee and Powell are in their top 9, so both will get played. If not, there is no way they can exist without DEPENDING on one of Green, Ntilikina, Hardy or whomever mystery guest #15 is. Let’s say Dorsey for holding the place. 

And, they CERTAINLY can’t get away with not player EITHER McGee or Powell, no matter how much they might want to. At least one of them, and probably both, are going to see the floor, imho.

…without some sort of additional roster shakeup. I’m going to keep praying.

There are nights when Powell is effective.  He had a stretch towards the end of the season where he looked worthy of his contract.  He can be played off the floor.  Most of our rotation can, but we have different pieces now that will help us counter those situations.  

Preaching "roster balance" is all well and good but the MBT fucked up with JB.  Our cap situation is only going to allow for so many moves and the Mavs took what was available to them in McGee rather than waiting and missing out on a chair when the music stopped.  JB or not, there was very little room for us to have major upgrades to this team.  With him gone and downgraded that aspect of the team, we just need to try to get by until another opportunity presents itself.  

I don't think anyone is over the moon about this offseason, but it is what it is.  We just have to barrel scrape and why the notion of scoffing at someone like Schroder is an arrogance this team shouldn't have.

(07-11-2022, 04:30 PM)Kammrath Wrote: [Image: all-of-this-pointing.gif]

Idk man. You’ve been saying another move is coming. You say that every summer. If/when it happens, you’ll claim victory. If/when it doesn’t, you’ll say it wasn’t needed. 

Tear my opinions down if it makes you feel better, but I stick by what I think, and I don’t change my narrative later. I admit when I was wrong, but I feel I’ve been right about a lot of what I’ve written these past few years.

I don’t know why dissenting opinions bother people so much. I am not trying to be gratuitously negative, I’m just engaging with my reactions to what they’re doing. And again, I’ve been one of the most Mavs-positive contributors here, historically. It’s basically just this off-season and the one in 2011 that have bothered me.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - Winter - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 04:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The “wait until the end of the off-season” part of your point is valid, but as you say, this is what we do. I’ve tried to be careful to qualify everything with “in the roster’s current state,” etc. But sure - there’s still time. 

As far as how the current pieces fit together, I disagree that we can’t make the assumptions I’m making. Maybe I’m not doing a good enough job of articulating my concerns, but I feel like I can see problems coming from a mile away.

For the record, I sense this from several posters. And I have seen it worse on other message boards. 

In a nutshell, I think there's an exaggerated sense of dread when there's little evidence. I don't see this as a "dissenting opinion".

(07-11-2022, 04:40 PM)Winter Wrote: For the record, I sense this from several posters. And I have seen it worse on other message boards. 

In a nutshell, I think there's an exaggerated sense of dread when there's little evidence. I don't see this as a "dissenting opinion".

You’re fine, my guy. There is not over a decade of baggage with us, so don’t read too much into my tone - I intend it to be affable and amicable. I’m happy to engage with you about anything/everything - it’s fun, and you’re smart.

Again, it is factual that the roster isn’t complete, so that part is valid. 

It is also factual that currently, BOTH McGee and Powell are in the Mavs’ top 9. In my opinion, this likely means MORE of what people didn’t like about Powell’s playoff minutes, not less, whether they realize it now or not. It is an opinion based somewhat on speculation, sure, but both of those elements are applied resposibly and pretty educated.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - RoyTarpleysGhost - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 04:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Idk man. You’ve been saying another move is coming. You say that every summer. If/when it happens, you’ll claim victory. If/when it doesn’t, you’ll say it wasn’t needed. 

Tear my opinions down if it makes you feel better, but I stick by what I think, and I don’t change my narrative later. 

[Image: 200.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - Winter - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 04:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: You’re fine, my guy. There is not over a decade of baggage with us, so don’t read too much into my tone - I intend it to be affable and amicable. I’m happy to engage with you about anything/everything - it’s fun, and you’re smart.

Again, it is factual that the roster isn’t complete, so that part is valid. 

It is also factual that currently, BOTH McGee and Powell are in the Mavs’ top 9. In my opinion, this likely means MORE of what people didn’t like about Powell’s playoff minutes, not less, whether they realize it now or not. It is an opinion based somewhat on speculation, sure, but both of those elements are applied resposibly pretty educated.

See, that's a perfectly stated opinion. All Fine.

My response to that in particular is that there's no way for me to know how McGee is supposed to work in this offense. Kidd and Nico obviously see something. On the other hand, I had several years to think about Powell's flaws.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - dirkfansince1998 - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 04:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: There is not over a decade of baggage with us

I think that plays a big role. Some of us have had the same kind of debates for 10+ years. One would think that after all this time we know better but that´s not the case. Still here. Still having the same debates.
From my personal experience:
In some cases I cannot stop myself from thinking "Not again. That´s the same kind of story you told us last year and the year before." And I would bet that others feel the same way when they read my posts. Younger posters (I am not even that old) or people that haven´t been following the Mavs since the late 90s probably don´t suffer from offseason PTSD and have a more positive outlook.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - dirkfansince1998 - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 04:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Idk man. You’ve been saying another move is coming. You say that every summer. If/when it happens, you’ll claim victory. If/when it doesn’t, you’ll say it wasn’t needed. 

Tear my opinions down if it makes you feel better, but I stick by what I think, and I don’t change my narrative later. I admit when I was wrong, but I feel I’ve been right about a lot of what I’ve written about these past few years.

I don’t know why dissenting opinions bother people so much. I am not trying to be gratuitously negative, I’m just engaging with my reactions to what they’re doing. And again, I’ve been on of the most Mavs-positive contributors here, historically. It’s basically just this off-season and the one in 2011 that have bothered me.

And that makes you an angel. How many times has this board been convinced that the Mavs would make a big move or sign a big free agent. Answer. More often than I can count. Plan Powder broke me and the way this board continued to fall for the same narrative every single offseason made it worse. Final straw was the Giannis chase. I was ready to rip off heads. Still am if someone mentions the word flexibility, capspace or powder.

(07-11-2022, 04:59 PM)Winter Wrote: My response to that in particular is that there's no way for me to know how McGee is supposed to work in this offense. Kidd and Nico obviously see something. On the other hand, I had several years to think about Powell's flaws.

Right.

But, we KNOW they’re going to be a pnr based offense. It’s built around Luka. Not Kawhi Leonard, not LeBron. Luka.

We KNOW what, GENERALLY, McGee can/can’t do within that system. We can debate whether he’d do it better or worse than Powell, but in reality the potential improvement isn’t some magical realm of wonder. He’s not going to add the dimension of catching on the short roll and executing a two-dribble pull-up. Consequently, he’s not going to catch on the short roll and make a second pass to a cutter or to the corner, because there’s no reason for him to be respected by the defense outside of the paint. I could go on, but the moral of the story is that he’s going roll hard every time, just like Powell. And honestly, my SPECULATION is that he won’t be quite as clever with reacting to the defense on his angle, or screen assisting in the paint for Luka when the first action breaks down. These are things that Powell does routinely that go almost completely unappreciated around here. 

Powell’s degree of ability to do what he’s good at wasn’t the issue. It’s the other stuff that he can’t do that was missing. Even if McGee is better at all the same things, he will still be unguarded in the playoffs, just like Powell was. 

You know who IS capable of adding offensive dimensions? Wood. Can roll OR pop. Can catch on the short roll and put stress on the defense, both on the move with dribble moves or by simply stopping and facing up. Can punish switches in a variety of ways in situations when Luka can’t. All of this will be mitigated significantly with someone in the dunker’s spot. It’s nothing personal against McGee.

And on top of all that, I’m honestly worried (speculation, as again, I admit they aren’t done yet) that they’re positioning themselves to need to play BOTH of them.

(07-11-2022, 05:06 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: And that makes you an angel. How many times has this board been convinced that the Mavs would make a big move or sign a big free agent. Answer. More often than I can count. Plan Powder broke me and the way this board continued to fall for the same narrative every single offseason made it worse. Final straw was the Giannis chase. I was ready to rip off heads. Still am if someone mentions the word flexibility, capspace or powder.

DAJ is what broke me.  The sooner everyone realizes that the Dallas Mavericks are one of the worst run organizations in basketball, the better.  We aren't and as long as Cuban is the owner, will not be a destination city.  We've just been lucky enough to be bolstered by two of the best basketball players that have ever drawn a breath.  Flexibility, cap space and powder don't trigger me, it's when we start talking about fit of other stars like we'd be able to get them in the first place.  Beggars can't be choosers or what not.  We are going to have to pay more or offer more years to get the free agents willing to look our way which is why Crowder isn't here and McGee is.

JB's the textbook example of our asset management.  This horse has been kicked to death though.

Nico is another example of Cuban's mismanagement.  And that's not really a knock Nico or saying that he can't succeed, but here we are with another transcendent talent and and asset pool and cap situation in shambles and what does our owner do?  Hires a replacement GM with no experience to try and dig out of the hole.  Kidd was another interesting choice but that's a different story altogether.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - Hypermav - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 04:59 PM)Winter Wrote: See, that's a perfectly stated opinion. All Fine.

My response to that in particular is that there's no way for me to know how McGee is supposed to work in this offense. Kidd and Nico obviously see something. On the other hand, I had several years to think about Powell's flaws.
I am trusting Kidd and Nico a bit on McGee as well.  We don't need Powell and we do need a third ball handling guard.  (I think a Utah trade makes some sense)

(07-11-2022, 05:15 PM)cow Wrote: We are going to have to pay more or offer more years to get the free agents willing to look our way which is why Crowder isn't here and McGee is.

Mavs reality but just hard to accept when it feels like other teams are getting the same players on bargain deals. McGee signed the 2nd biggest contract of his career. Also the second multi year deal since the end of his rookie contract. Since his last stint in Dallas he was on one year deals every single season. And on top of that they have to promise him a starting role. Hard to stomach...

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - ItsGoTime - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 04:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: If they move Powell for a wing or a PG, we’ll all be much closer to common ground again. 

I’m 99% sure the majority of folks arguing with @"mvossman", @"dirkfansince1998" and myself simply haven’t thought through the future implications of what we’re seeing enough to realize how mad they could potentially be when this plays out. 

@"DanSchwartzgan" gets it, I think. With the information available at this time concerning roster balance, they’re setting themselves up for their DEFAULT to be a 4-big rotation (wood, McGee, Kleber AND Powell). This might NOT be the end of Powell, as most are assuming. I believe this is what Dan has been hoping they’d do, that’s the difference. I think it’s the worst possible direction they could’ve chosen.

Still time to turn Powell/Green into a rotation-worthy non-center, so I’ll keep hoping.
In my mind, there may be a possibility (again, if this is the set roster) that Nico could be looking at the roster building this way. There is nothing that I saw with Kidd (starting with him not really wanting to name Powell the starting C at the beginning of the season and letting the player's leadership group decide instead) that makes me think he wants to play Powell other than in emergency. Wait, maybe Cuban will force his will on Kidd in that regard...

IF Wood and Powell are played during the same game, I'm right there with you. That is a horrible, horrible plan. I really just see no way that Kidd could possibly think that will help him win games.

(07-11-2022, 05:12 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: And on top of all that, I’m honestly worried (speculation, as again, I admit they aren’t done yet) that they’re positioning themselves to need to play BOTH of them.

Well that certainly could be. But I'm not "worried" about it. 

It's an experiment that can be altered on the fly. You have McGee, Wood, and Kleber, and maybe Powell. There's all sorts of possibilities based on matchups. It sounds more like a flexible opportunity to get the matchups you want on any given night.

(07-11-2022, 05:20 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs reality but just hard to accept when it feels like other teams are getting the same players on bargain deals. McGee signed the 2nd biggest contract of his career. Also the second multi year deal since the end of his rookie contract. Since his last stint in Dallas he was on one year deals every single season. And on top of that they have to promise him a starting role. Hard to stomach...

He signed a 2YR deal in 19-20 and he made 5 million last year.  The CAP is also a LOT larger in 2022 that when he signed his biggest deal in 2012. I hate the years too but I don't think he is grossly overpaid.  

My larger point is everyone is at everyone else's throat over JaVale Fucking McGee who is going to make 5.5m this year.  I was easily the biggest cheerleader to bring McGee here throughout the season.  He's a useful rotation piece and nothing more.  He isn't going to make or break this team.  I don't think the organization thinks this either and he certainly isn't getting paid like a difference maker.