MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - omahen - 09-23-2023

(09-23-2023, 02:00 PM)mvossman Wrote: I doubt they are coming out of the gate starting two rookies.  I focus more on the first quote where he said they will try different combinations with their core three (Luka, Kyrie and Williams).  It does sound like Green does not have a guaranteed starting spot.

I read it more like "we don't believe Green will be a long term solution as a starter". Perhaps rookies are not ready at this point and he will be a starter. But just as a stop gap solution, before the rookies are ready. Sure they may have communicated all of this with Green already. 

I think this might impact on what to expect related to Green new deal. Do you want to pay someone you don't see as a long term solution more than lets say MLE level deal? Great if Green settles for that of less. But what if he doesn't?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - RoyTarpleysGhost - 09-23-2023

One of the Mavs sources (can’t remember who) said Thybulle would have started over Green if Portland hadn’t matched.

Justin Holiday came in off the unemployment line and started over Green last year.

Now no mention of Green by the head coach.

Maybe if it’s a negotiating tactic but more likely Kidd is not a big Josh Green fan.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - Chicagojk - 09-23-2023

https://x.com/sam_vecenie/status/1705755816211743100?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

https://x.com/sam_vecenie/status/1705757151799689530?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - ballsrchr - 09-23-2023

Well...if all this is true...then it looks like JKidd has settled on his whipping boy for the year. And JG will be going to some other team next year. Assuming all this crap is true.

Damn. Look what I've devolved to for the off season...

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - surfpuckmd - 09-23-2023

Jason Kidd bringing a new twist to his unique style of NBA coaching incompetence.  He is asserting that two rookies who have not yet played an NBA game nor even had an NBA practice are in line to start over multiple proven veterans.  This is not merely insulting to Josh Green but also to the other vets who have played their best for the Mavericks over the past several years-  Maxi Kleber, THJ and Dwight Powell.  He is actually making starting lineup decisions based on his male intuition!

It is often difficult to determine which side of Jason Kidd is speaking-  is it the cognitively challenged moron within him?  Or is it the condescending sociopath?  I just can't recall another NBA head coach who made important decisions based upon exactly nothing.  I have also never seen a professional coach routinely insult his own players.   

I suspect Kidd has some recordings of Mark Cuban saying some really stupid things and is using those to maintain his position.  Otherwise, it is incredible that Jason Kidd remains the Mavericks head coach with all the terrible nonsense he has said and done over the past year.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - F Gump - 09-24-2023

(09-23-2023, 11:18 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Jason Kidd bringing a new twist to his unique style of NBA coaching incompetence.  He is asserting that two rookies who have not yet played an NBA game nor even had an NBA practice are in line to start over multiple proven veterans.

Not how I heard it.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-saturday-stein-line-with-marc-stein-september-23/id1696632485?i=1000628930446  The talk about rookies starts at about 20:10.

From the hype, I listened to this pod expecting news. But it seemed liked basic coach-speak to me.

While Kidd talked up the rookies, I heard him positively speak about every player Stein asked about, no negative on any possibility for anyone, and he may have ended up mentioning and praising every player. In that context I don't hear Kidd committing to any particular lineup, nor to rookies, nor even to the idea of them being truly "NBA ready." He did talk about perhaps giving the rookies a pre-season start or 2 to see if it might help them get up to NBA speed-- but he also mentioned talking to Nico about that possibility, which I found weird. A possible PR stunt to sell tickets?

I came away thinking Kidd was simply being a coach in the time-honored tradition of pumping up players and fans about possibilities as a season is coming. So I can't put a lot of stock in any of it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 09-24-2023

Ya lots of folks here seem to miss he was talking about preseason…

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - surfpuckmd - 09-24-2023

(09-24-2023, 01:12 AM)F Gump Wrote: Not how I heard it.

From the hype, I listened to this pod expecting news. But it seemed liked basic coach-speak to me.

I came away thinking Kidd was simply being a coach in the time-honored tradition of pumping up players and fans about possibilities as a season is coming. So I can't put a lot of stock in any of it.

I hadn’t actually listened to Stein’s podcast before I wrote what I did. I had just read the Twitter excerpts and the comments posted here.  After listening to the pod, it was all pretty benign and Kidd came off as ok.  I still stand by everything I wrote as I think it applies to everything Kidd said and did last season as our head coach.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - omahen - 09-24-2023

(09-24-2023, 08:13 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Ya lots of folks here seem to miss he was talking about preseason…

He clearly singled out Luka, Kyrie and GW as locked starters, as "the big three". So reading between the lines he says, the other two starting jobs are opened at least to some extent. Which again, reading between the lines, means Green is not a lock. 

I think this is more or less in line with what Green has shown so far. It means Mavs are not convinced at this point that he is a sure thing. I could assume this means they are not prepared to give him "starter" money at this point. A position I could agree with, as I myself am far from convinced that Green can fill that role long term. Based on this I would expect that Green signs for max MLE level money at this point or he waits for restricted free agency. It would be pretty strange if Mavs paid him 15 mil or more per while not being sure what he is.  

It is up to debate if it is smart or not to "disclose" such positions publicly while negotiations are still not finished. As I said last season regarding Wood situation - starting or not is imho an important topic for players, especially in their contract years. We clearly saw it did impact Wood and the end result was bad for everyone involved.

Edit: one could draw many similarities regarding Green situation with how they handled Brunson. Sure Green is RFA and they have more control, but still. I think players also value if teams value them. Can we say that about Mavs in the Green situation? I am ok if they see him as just a role player in the long term. But does he sees himself the same or he wants more. If yes, wouldn't it make more sense to trade him than risk having an unhappy player that might be looking more for a situation where the team would value him in a similar way than he does. Of course, on the other hand, it is totally possible that Green himself doesn't see himself as more than a role player. I think the outcome of the negotiations will tell us a lot about that.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - KillerLeft - 09-24-2023

(09-24-2023, 10:33 AM)omahen Wrote: Edit: one could draw many similarities regarding Green situation with how they handled Brunson. Sure Green is RFA and they have more control, but still. I think players also value if teams value them. Can we say that about Mavs in the Green situation? I am ok if they see him as just a role player in the long term. But does he sees himself the same or he wants more. If yes, wouldn't it make more sense to trade him than risk having an unhappy player that might be looking more for a situation where the team would value him in a similar way than he does. Of course, on the other hand, it is totally possible that Green himself doesn't see himself as more than a role player. I think the outcome of the negotiations will tell us a lot about that.

Great post and I agree, overall. 

I agree with the edit I quoted, too, but (and this isn't aimed at you, really) I keep seeing worry that Green is "Brunson all over again." I am not worried. 

It's not a problem that they're negotiating with Green like they negotiated with Brunson. It's actually smart. Green is not a player you want on your books if he's paid more than he should be. The problem WAS that they treated Brunson like a Green. The Brunson problem wasn't how they negotiated, it was that they incorrectly evaluated the player with whom they were negotiating. They should've been willing to offer a Kyrie-level contract to him, and honestly, probably should've led with that. His own team didn't realize how great (and I mean GREAT) he was. 

The playbook they ran in the Brunson negotiations is actually appropriately purposed in the Green situation, imo. He's the type you want back, but only on your terms.

I don't know if Kidd was serious when he claimed one of the rookies might end up being a starter, and honestly, I don't care. It's a GOOD thing that

A) He's open to it as a possibility, even if just enough to say it with a straight face and

B) the org thinks highly enough about their potential to consider this a possibility.

I didn't get the sense he was blowing sunshine when he said "I expect them to play a lot." In my opinion, this is nothing but good news.

And encouraging THJ to go for 6th man is the right messaging, too, imho. Lets us know he (Kidd) understands that THJ isn't a fit as a starter (or closer on most nights, probably) with Luka and Kyrie, but still conveys a sense of "we know who you are in this locker room" to the player and his teammates.

AND, honestly, having a guy off the bench focused on getting obscene amounts of buckets is a pretty consistently helpful thing, historically.

(09-24-2023, 12:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: AND, honestly, having a guy off the bench focused on getting obscene amounts of buckets is a pretty consistently helpful thing, historically.

I think there is huge difference between elite 6th man bucket getters (Crawford, Williams, Herro) and THJ in a sense they are able to create on their own with high efficiency. They were only 6th men because of their suspect defense. When THJ is creating, his efficiency is bad.

(09-24-2023, 12:27 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Great post and I agree, overall. 

I agree with the edit I quoted, too, but (and this isn't aimed at you, really) I keep seeing worry that Green is "Brunson all over again." I am not worried. 

It's not a problem that they're negotiating with Green like they negotiated with Brunson. It's actually smart. Green is not a player you want on your books if he's paid more than he should be. The problem WAS that they treated Brunson like a Green. The Brunson problem wasn't how they negotiated, it was that they incorrectly evaluated the player with whom they were negotiating. They should've been willing to offer a Kyrie-level contract to him, and honestly, probably should've led with that. His own team didn't realize how great (and I mean GREAT) he was. 

The playbook they ran in the Brunson negotiations is actually appropriately purposed in the Green situation, imo. He's the type you want back, but only on your terms.

I think it is very similar. Brunson wasn't convincing a season before his last one with Mavs. Many doubts among fans what he will become. Than he had a breakout season and was dissapointed Mavs never really believed in him. Green is basically in same position as Brunson was before his last season with Mavs. Not really convincing season, which could be followed by a breakout season. If Mavs don't reach an agreement now, don't you see it as possible he is gone because someone pays what Mavs consider as an overpay? Despite his RFA status, I see it. 

Compare how Lakers treated Reaves situation. Their every action and word said he is a star (even though he is not) and that they will match any offer. In the end their "bluff" worked and they signed him on a very reasonable deal that could be a huge value contract. Reaves happy as he feels valued. 

Whatever will be, I hope Mavs sign Green at max MLE level money. If they don't find common ground, I will be very scared Mavs able to negotiate a good deal for him to stay or about the potential compensation they could get for him.

(09-24-2023, 01:18 PM)omahen Wrote: I think there is huge difference between elite 6th man bucket getters (Crawford, Williams, Herro) and THJ in a sense they are able to create on their own with high efficiency. They were only 6th men because of their suspect defense. When THJ is creating, his efficiency is bad.

Sure, but IF he's to be a fit here this season, THAT is the role you want him focused on filling. Also, he doesn't have to create the ways those guys do in order to be the main source of offense with the bench unit. The entire point of having both Luka and Kyrie is that you have one of them on the court for the majority of the game, so I think it's quite plausible (though far from a given, to your point) that stretches where the goal of the offense is to create shots for THJ, especially against bench players, might be really effective.

(09-24-2023, 01:31 PM)omahen Wrote: I think it is very similar. Brunson wasn't convincing a season before his last one with Mavs. Many doubts among fans what he will become. Than he had a breakout season and was dissapointed Mavs never really believed in him. Green is basically in same position as Brunson was before his last season with Mavs. 

Oh, I don't agree at all. Like, not AT ALL. 

Brunson had one disappointing playoff run, his first, yes. But he was obviously a major piece of the rotation, being relied upon heavily, he just didn't perform super well. And frankly, I've watched the following playoff run about 10 times at this point and it's INSANE that we weren't all screaming "just give him a max" when that summer hit, regardless of what had occurred before. 

Green, alternatively, lost his spot at times this past season to Frank Ntilikna, who is so significant that I can't even remember if/where he signed this summer. 

Look, I like Green, and I think it's possible that he's about to have a good season, but it's clear that Kidd isn't quite as high on him as some of his fans around here. That might be wrong, I'm not sure, but I do feel confident that if Green walks it's not going to cripple the franchise the way losing Brunson for nothing undeniably did. The two contractual situations might be similar, but the two PLAYERS are not in the same stratosphere. 

In fact, I'd say that while my preference is for Green to live up to our expectations, find a toehold in the rotation and gain a commitment here at reasonable money (for continuity, if nothing else, and just because the best of what he's flashed is pretty valuable), I'd prefer they let him walk rather than OVERPAY him. There literally was no amount of money Brunson was eligible to receive by rule that would've been an overpay.

Brunson was more of a fixture in the rotation during his ROOKIE SEASON than Green was LAST SEASON, his third.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - Ghost of Podkolzin - 09-24-2023

(09-23-2023, 11:18 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Jason Kidd bringing a new twist to his unique style of NBA coaching incompetence.  He is asserting that two rookies who have not yet played an NBA game nor even had an NBA practice are in line to start over multiple proven veterans.  This is not merely insulting to Josh Green but also to the other vets who have played their best for the Mavericks over the past several years-  Maxi Kleber, THJ and Dwight Powell.  He is actually making starting lineup decisions based on his male intuition!

It is often difficult to determine which side of Jason Kidd is speaking-  is it the cognitively challenged moron within him?  Or is it the condescending sociopath?  I just can't recall another NBA head coach who made important decisions based upon exactly nothing.  I have also never seen a professional coach routinely insult his own players.   

I suspect Kidd has some recordings of Mark Cuban saying some really stupid things and is using those to maintain his position.  Otherwise, it is incredible that Jason Kidd remains the Mavericks head coach with all the terrible nonsense he has said and done over the past year

Kidd's handling of Wood was malpractice.  Every HC spot he's been in, there's at least one of these situations he creates FOR NO REASON.

I said it when most on this board was trouncing Wood; it is a matter of whom, not if Kidd goes after.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - DanSchwartzgan - 09-24-2023

(09-24-2023, 01:12 AM)F Gump Wrote: Not how I heard it.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-saturday-stein-line-with-marc-stein-september-23/id1696632485?i=1000628930446  The talk about rookies starts at about 20:10.

While Kidd talked up the rookies, I heard him positively speak about every player Stein asked about, no negative on any possibility for anyone, and he may have ended up mentioning and praising every player.

So I can't put a lot of stock in any of it.

Thanks for posting this.  I have slightly different interpretations on a couple of things, but those tweets and the early reaction to them were not in alignment with what was said.  The last line above is probably the most important since Kidd hasn’t even had a practice yet.

I think they think they have two very talented rookies they want to develop.  You can’t bring them along together (in the lineup at the same time) and expect to win.  I think part of the logic of maybe starting a rookie is so both can get minutes…just not simultaneously.  

Kidd made it fairly clear Josh and OMax are probably competing for a starting spot.  It wouldn’t shock me if OMax got the nod.  It won’t necessarily be because he’s better than some of the other options as much as it will be a great place to hide him alongside The Big Three and a center.  There is enough O on the floor with Luka, Kyrie and GWill hitting over 40% from the corner and a lob threat that OMax hitting 3’s is a luxury and not a necessity.  That might not be the case alongside backups.  Starting and getting only 18 minutes would certainly be a possibility.

He did say positive things about everyone he spoke about, but he didn’t speak about everyone.  No mention of Hardy or Curry.  After inferring Josh and OMax would compete to start and after talking about there being three centers, he mentioned Exum, DJJ and Maxi and talked about SMOTY Hardaway.  That’s 11 players if you only count two of the three centers.  It is certainly possible there is no meaning to who he mentioned and who he didn’t.  Or, maybe the 11 who were mentioned are the top 11.  I was encouraged that they seem committed to working Lively and OMax in and that Kidd and Nico seem to be on the same page.  I’m probably more interested in how players will be used and whether Luka and Kyrie will get more time together or not than who starts the first month of the season.  I could care less who Kidd wants to start in pre-season and don’t see anything in his interview with Stein that should have raised the ire it raised here prior to your post.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - ItsGoTime - 09-24-2023

(09-24-2023, 10:15 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Thanks for posting this.  I have slightly different interpretations on a couple of things, but those tweets and the early reaction to them were not in alignment with what was said.  The last line above is probably the most important since Kidd hasn’t even had a practice yet.

I think they think they have two very talented rookies they want to develop.  You can’t bring them along together (in the lineup at the same time) and expect to win.  I think part of the logic of maybe starting a rookie is so both can get minutes…just not simultaneously.  

Kidd made it fairly clear Josh and OMax are probably competing for a starting spot.  It wouldn’t shock me if OMax got the nod.  It won’t necessarily be because he’s better than some of the other options as much as it will be a great place to hide him alongside The Big Three and a center.  There is enough O on the floor with Luka, Kyrie and GWill hitting over 40% from the corner and a lob threat that OMax hitting 3’s is a luxury and not a necessity.  That might not be the case alongside backups.  Starting and getting only 18 minutes would certainly be a possibility.

He did say positive things about everyone he spoke about, but he didn’t speak about everyone.  No mention of Hardy or Curry.  After inferring Josh and OMax would compete to start and after talking about there being three centers, he mentioned Exum, DJJ and Maxi and talked about SMOTY Hardaway.  That’s 11 players if you only count two of the three centers.  It is certainly possible there is no meaning to who he mentioned and who he didn’t.  Or, maybe the 11 who were mentioned are the top 11.  I was encouraged that they seem committed to working Lively and OMax in and that Kidd and Nico seem to be on the same page.  I’m probably more interested in how players will be used and whether Luka and Kyrie will get more time together or not than who starts the first month of the season.  I could care less who Kidd wants to start in pre-season and don’t see anything in his interview with Stein that should have raised the ire it raised here prior to your post.
The things said that you are pointing out I don't think are nothing, but you're more spot on in this post. At least how I heard what was said in the podcast.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - MrGoat - 09-24-2023

I really hope they start Lively with our center rotation and try to get him integrated right away, rookie or not we know Powell can't be counted on in the playoffs and is a 30 something with a prior Achilles injury who isn't an outside shooter and was never good on the glass. O Max looked good in summer league and I loved the pick but I have a hard time believing they'll seriously consider starting him over Josh Green immediately unless they're trying to dick around with Green's next contract, which can be a dangerous tactic for team chemistry