MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - DanSchwartzgan - 09-04-2023

(09-04-2023, 04:23 AM)omahen Wrote: Let’s say Greens current status value is 10 points. Let’s say that at this point Greens additional value because of potential is another 10 points. So what happens in a year is, that part of that potential value will either transfer to current status value, because player will improve, or it will disappear, because there will be no improvement and evaluation of potential will change.

The question, as it relates to an extension, is what number between 10 and 20 is the right number.  The player (and especially his agent who may not be employed with the player a year from now) is interested in security now.  They want to get as close to 20 as they can, but there is a number they are willing to take to get this thing done now.  The question is the cost of that security.  If the cost is too high, they will just take the risk.

The team wants the opposite.  They know there is a risk of 20 being the number a year from now even though past performance may indicate 10 is the appropriate number right now.  They’d like to pay as close to 10 as they can, but will go higher to avoid the risk of paying 20.  But, if the number gets too close to 20, they too may decide to just wait (especially since Green is RFA).

What we know is 10 and 20 won’t be the number that is signed for an extension.  It is probably somewhere between 14 and 16.  Our opinions of what the player ‘is’ or ‘could be’ won’t have much to do with what they settle on.  It will be more a read of the market a year from now.  Who blinks first will largely depend on how many/few teams will have 20 next summer vs. how many/few players might command that type of money.  Dallas should probably expect to be tested on this given their proximity to the first apron with what they are committed to already.

(09-01-2023, 04:19 PM)SamStetz Wrote: https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/1697662274209468776?s=20

The Sacramento Bee reports McGee is fully guaranteed for 23/24.  So, the offset applies.

(09-02-2023, 06:29 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: As a final point, Josh Green has demonstrated that he can be more productive when it's needed.  We really don't want him taking the ball away from Luka or Kyrie.  In games last season when Luka didn't play however, Josh Green had the following averages:

15.7 ppg        4.3  rpg      3.5 apg

That's pretty good production when we needed it.

You make two good points here.  These numbers are similar to what Green puts up any time he gets 30 minutes (which was about 1/3 of his games last season).  He doesn’t need to take a leap.  He just needs opportunity.  

Your other good point is he knows his role.  Some mistakenly call this passivity.  Your numbers indicate he’s appropriately deferring to our two All-NBA level players when they are playing and appropriately showing more when they aren’t.  It is pretty much exactly what you’d want out of a youngster who projects to be a high level role player.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - omahen - 09-04-2023

(09-04-2023, 11:04 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: You make two good points here.  These numbers are similar to what Green puts up any time he gets 30 minutes (which was about 1/3 of his games last season).  He doesn’t need to take a leap.  He just needs opportunity.  

Your other good point is he knows his role.  Some mistakenly call this passivity.  Your numbers indicate he’s appropriately deferring to our two All-NBA level players when they are playing and appropriately showing more when they aren’t.  It is pretty much exactly what you’d want out of a youngster who projects to be a high level role player.

Could it be he played 30+ minutes when he was playing well and less when he wasn't?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - KillerLeft - 09-04-2023

(09-04-2023, 11:04 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Your other good point is he knows his role.  Some mistakenly call this passivity.  Your numbers indicate he’s appropriately deferring to our two All-NBA level players when they are playing and appropriately showing more when they aren’t.  It is pretty much exactly what you’d want out of a youngster who projects to be a high level role player.

This part is tricky. 

I agree that not pushing to do more offensively than he should and playing within his role is a positive, and I agree that some people might be unfairly holding this against him. But, I also think some people's opinions that he passes up too many open shots that have been generated in the flow of good offense are justified, and agree with those who want to see him step into those shots with more confidence, particularly in light of the percentages he achieved last season.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - surfpuckmd - 09-05-2023

(09-04-2023, 11:04 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: You make two good points here.  These numbers are similar to what Green puts up any time he gets 30 minutes (which was about 1/3 of his games last season).  He doesn’t need to take a leap.  He just needs opportunity.  

I think he's a really good fit here and I think the probability is that he becomes at least a solid starter.

As to value, Dorian Finney Smith received a contract extension last summer for 4 years, $56 million.  He was 28 years old and likely to be past his prime at the end of that extension.  Josh Green is still developing but already offers much of what DFS does-  good defense and high-efficiency shooting. He also can handle the ball and pass better than Dorian ever could.  His defense may not be quite as good as Finney-Smiths was but I think it projects to be with experience.  

I don't understand why I'm apparently the only one on the board who expects Josh to receive more than the MLE on his contract extension.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - SleepingHero - 09-05-2023

(09-03-2023, 11:21 PM)The Jom Wrote: This “don’t overpay” argument sounds eerily familiar. I think it was Brunson. And I think the numbers tossed around here were 18 and 20 million/year. If this board thinks about 12 million for Josh, that makes me think it’ll be at least 18.

The only meaningful difference here is that the Mavs cannot possibly lose Green unless Cuban really is cheap. RFA guarantees that.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - Ghost of Podkolzin - 09-05-2023

(09-04-2023, 03:40 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: but also a personality problem

What are you referring to?  I've not heard of this.

IMO, J.Green will get the Hart deal of 4yrs/$80.  Not as good of a defender at this point.  Will never be the rebounder Hart is.  But he's 6 years younger.

My only question is can we pay him that with 2 max players in Luka/Kyrie?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - mvossman - 09-05-2023

(09-05-2023, 08:53 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: The only meaningful difference here is that the Mavs cannot possibly lose Green unless Cuban really is cheap. RFA guarantees that.

This is not entirely true.  Green could decide he does not like our offer or any other offer and take the qualifying offer to be unrestricted the following year.  Its probably unlikely in Green's case, but a possibility.

(09-05-2023, 09:25 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: IMO, J.Green will get the Hart deal of 4yrs/$80.  Not as good of a defender at this point.  Will never be the rebounder Hart is.  But he's 6 years younger.

My only question is can we pay him that with 2 max players in Luka/Kyrie?

Age rarely, if ever, makes a meaningful impact in salary negotiations. It's the actual talent that drives up the numbers. Age amplifies the talent, but there has to be talent there. 

As many have said, Green has shown to be a great role player. He's inconsistent, but that's why he's a role player. He has barely shown enough to warrant a 4/60 deal, let alone a 4/80 deal.

If anything Green is around the same level as Hart was when he got his first big deal from NOP after averaging 8/4/1 on 43/36/70 in 24mpg. That deal was worth 3 years/38 mil, but only 24 mil guaranteed. Green is more efficient and a bit younger when Hart signed his deal...

That deal at the time was worth about 11% of the overall cap YoY. Translating that into today, thats starting at 14.9 mil (almost right at his qualifying offer). A similar deal would be 4/66 with 8% raises and only 52 mil guaranteed.

(09-05-2023, 09:39 AM)mvossman Wrote: This is not entirely true.  Green could decide he does not like our offer or any other offer and take the qualifying offer to be unrestricted the following year.  Its probably unlikely in Green's case, but a possibility.

You're correct in the most literal sense, but practically no, that will not happen.

No player has seriously ever turned down their first big long term extension to bet on themselves and come out ahead. Nerlens is the only one I've seen do that and we all know what happened there.

(09-05-2023, 09:40 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Age rarely, if ever, makes a meaningful impact in salary negotiations. It's the actual talent that drives up the numbers. Age amplifies the talent, but there has to be talent there. 

As many have said, Green has shown to be a great role player. He's inconsistent, but that's why he's a role player. He has barely shown enough to warrant a 4/60 deal, let alone a 4/80 deal.

If anything Green is around the same level as Hart was when he got his first big deal from NOP after averaging 8/4/1 on 43/36/70 in 24mpg. That deal was worth 3 years/38 mil, but only 24 mil guaranteed. Green is more efficient and a bit younger when Hart signed his deal...

That deal at the time was worth about 11% of the overall cap YoY. Translating that into today, thats starting at 14.9 mil (almost right at his qualifying over). A similar deal would be 4/66 with 8% raises and only 52 mil guaranteed.

Sorry, I didn't explain the age thing.  At 22yo, it's implied that J.Green will continue to progress and get better.

Great analysis in kicking Hart's deal into todays numbers.  Ya, I'd say that's fair, with 4/80 being the ceiling.

What are your thoughts if J.Green wants >=$20m/per?

(09-05-2023, 10:30 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Sorry, I didn't explain the age thing.  At 22yo, it's implied that J.Green will continue to progress and get better.

Great analysis in kicking Hart's deal into todays numbers.  Ya, I'd say that's fair, with 4/80 being the ceiling.

What are your thoughts if J.Green wants >=$20m/per?

If Green wants 20+mil a year then I'd politely tell him that I love his gumption and to go find said deal on the market. Should he find such a deal, it'd probably be littered with plenty of team friendly qualities to get to that number, I'd promptly match. 

I don't see a team out there right now that would be willing to pay 20+mil a year for a less than 10ppg guy who is limited offensively and is good (not great) defensively. That'd be like a team throwing a 4/90 deal at a guy like Danny Green which doesn't really happen (and we lambast when it does). 

Further, should Green go into next season and shows growth and is an integral starter on the team, the Mavs need to make it well known they would match any ludicrous offer. A team that is steadfast with their RFA guys scares off any potential would be suitors. We saw that with Reaves this recent summer.

Speaking of Reaves, that would be a good comp for Green at his best. When Green gets an opportunity he puts up similar numbers to what Reaves put up this last season that earned him a 4yr/54 mil deal. Next summer there are ideally more suitors for a guy like Green, but if Reaves got 4/54, I don't see how Green gets substantially more than that unless he breaks out as a 20ppg guy.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - omahen - 09-05-2023

Interesting analysis. They ranked starters of each team on each position. Here is where Mavs are according to this:
PG: Luka, #2 (behind Curry)
SG: Irving, #5
SF: THJ, #27
PF: GW, #26
C: Powell, #29 (only Hayes ranked lower)

https://theathletic.com/4811677/2023/09/05/nba-position-group-rankings-2023/

(09-05-2023, 12:16 PM)omahen Wrote: Interesting analysis. They ranked starters of each team on each position. Here is where Mavs are according to this:
PG: Luka, #2 (behind Curry)
SG: Irving, #5
SF: THJ, #27
PF: GW, #26
C: Powell, #29 (only Hayes ranked lower)

https://theathletic.com/4811677/2023/09/05/nba-position-group-rankings-2023/

Athletic keeps up their habit at making poorly made rankings.

The writer makes a statement that injuries are taken into account but proceeds to put the most injury prone SG at 3rd (PG). Is Paul George really better than Booker and Kyrie? He also justifies it by saying that the Clips have Norman Powell to back him up so it makes sense.   

THJ is not the 27th best starting SF in the league behind guys like Dillon Brooks (24th) and Harrison Barnes (14th) and Gordan Hayward (19th). Although I wouldn't rank him that much higher. Probably 20-24th. 

Grant Williams at 26 is also a bit laughable..? Saddiq Bey, Patrick Williams, Kevin Love, Isaiah Stewart, Deni Avdija are all objectively not better than Grant Williams. They also put 6'6 Jalen Williams for OKC who played a whopping total 1% of his minutes at PF as the 15th best PF... 

I don't think Grant Williams is a top 10 guy at his position, but bottom 4th is kind of insulting. 

Its fun to dog on Powell and say that he's the 2nd worst starting center in the league (and there are legitimate arguments for that), but to rank him behind guys like Zach Collins, James Wiseman, and Mark Williams is a bit of a stretch. 

Overall the Mavs aren't nearly as weighed down as these horribly made charts (seriously, 12 year olds could make easier to read charts) make them appear to be.

(09-05-2023, 12:53 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Athletic keeps up their habit at making poorly made rankings.

The writer makes a statement that injuries are taken into account but proceeds to put the most injury prone SG at 3rd (PG). Is Paul George really better than Booker and Kyrie? He also justifies it by saying that the Clips have Norman Powell to back him up so it makes sense.   

THJ is not the 27th best starting SF in the league behind guys like Dillon Brooks (24th) and Harrison Barnes (14th) and Gordan Hayward (19th). Although I wouldn't rank him that much higher. Probably 20-24th. 

Grant Williams at 26 is also a bit laughable..? Saddiq Bey, Patrick Williams, Kevin Love, Isaiah Stewart, Deni Avdija are all objectively not better than Grant Williams. They also put 6'6 Jalen Williams for OKC who played a whopping total 1% of his minutes at PF as the 15th best PF... 

I don't think Grant Williams is a top 10 guy at his position, but bottom 4th is kind of insulting. 

Its fun to dog on Powell and say that he's the 2nd worst starting center in the league (and there are legitimate arguments for that), but to rank him behind guys like Zach Collins, James Wiseman, and Mark Williams is a bit of a stretch. 

Overall the Mavs aren't nearly as weighed down as these horribly made charts (seriously, 12 year olds could make easier to read charts) make them appear to be.

Not sure why you think the author took this excercise as a personal attack on Mavs. 

Based on what would you put THJ ahead of Brooks, Barnes and Hayward? Hayward is scoring a bit more, has more rebounds and assists while playing similar defense. Brooks is a worse offensive player but way better defender. Barnes is a steady 2-way player, scoring more on a better team and playing better defense. 

What would make GW better than Bey, Williams, Love, Stewart or Avdija? He was 8th or 9th guy on Boston. Nothing really puts him convincingly ahead of names mentioned. Sure we may hope he will show more in a bigger role, but at the moment that is just our hope.

Mark Williams, Collins and Wiseman (in Detroit) were better than Powell in probably every stat category, certainly key ones.

Can someone post the total rankings?

I was too quick going through that piece. The author assessed the team total at each position, which is represented by the chosen starter. The starter weight on the score is roughly 70 %. Thats why George backed by Powell combo is 3rd in SG, for example. Of course each excercise like that is subjective to an extent. But, it gives us a picture, what a more or less objective author thinks about where Mavs are. To be honest, I am not at all interested in disecting each player and if he should be 25th or 26th on the list as I don't think it is that much important in a big picture.

This is the criteria author used:

Basketball: How do you see a player in terms of non-shooting scoring (baskets inside the paint and generating free throws), rebounding, playmaking, defense and shooting efficiency? In general, players who are consistently good and do a variety of things on either end of the floor will have their teams rank higher.
Availability: Injuries exist; there is no “if healthy,” because we know some players won’t play and haven’t played as much as others. Players who are more injury (or suspension) prone make their reserves more relevant.
Depth: Even though they’re not listed here, I looked into all 30-second units since we have enough roster spots filled for those on every team.
Career: I have to consider where players are at in their careers. Younger players have upside, but they have to show something too. Players in their 30s are always a cliff threat.
Morale: Actually wanting to play for current team — and vice versa, with other teams exploring shaking up position. Stability is going to upgrade some positional situations and downgrade others.

(09-05-2023, 01:09 PM)omahen Wrote: Not sure why you think the author took this exercise as a personal attack on Mavs. 

Based on what would you put THJ ahead of Brooks, Barnes and Hayward? Hayward is scoring a bit more, has more rebounds and assists while playing similar defense. Brooks is a worse offensive player but way better defender. Barnes is a steady 2-way player, scoring more on a better team and playing better defense. 

What would make GW better than Bey, Williams, Love, Stewart or Avdija? He was 8th or 9th guy on Boston. Nothing really puts him convincingly ahead of names mentioned. Sure we may hope he will show more in a bigger role, but at the moment that is just our hope.

Mark Williams, Collins and Wiseman (in Detroit) were better than Powell in probably every stat category, certainly key ones.

1. I didn't think this author took this exercise as a personal attack on the Mavs. But since this is a Mavs board I voiced my gripes with his rankings from a Mavs centered lens. Especially because I found his ranking system to be inconsistent throughout based on the criteria provided and general choices (I.E. saying injury history plays a factor then putting Paul George 3rd at his position and Hayward at 19th).

THJ vs. Hayward
Hayward cannot play an entire season. Since 2020, Hayward has missed, without fail, the entire 2nd half of the season due to a variety of injuries (besides last year, where he missed almost the entirety of the 1st half of the season). He cannot be counted upon at all. THJ produces similar numbers, on similar efficiency, and doesn't suffer that issue. 

THJ vs. Brooks
You bury the lead here when you say "Brooks is a worse offensive player but way better defender". Brooks isn't just a worse offensive player, he has been statistically a bottom 5 worst volume shooter in the league. Brooks almost single handedly killed the Grizzlies offense. There is a reason why the Grizzlies happily said "Go somewhere else, we don't want your defense" this summer. This is the same argument as why people didn't want Thybulle here, except Brooks shoots it 3x more. THJ isn't a great defensive player by any means, but his offensive is so stratospherically greater than Brooks it automatically catapults him above Brooks. 

THJ vs. Barnes
Here we can split hairs and argue until the next morning, but overall they're both similar players. They both have similar production. They both have flaws that cause their respective teams heart attacks. But why is one 14th and the other is 27th? Barnes defense is not good enough to rank him 13 spots ahead. And I feel like Mavs fans are uniquely qualified to make that given that we had Barnes here for 2 and 1/2 years. 

No matter, though you missed my important caveat at the end there where I said I wouldn't put THJ that much higher, at most 7 spots more. 

Now onto GW.

First  according to minutes played, GW was Boston's 4th most played guy. In MPG he was tied with Brogdon at 6th. So no he wasn't Bostons 8th or 9th guy but rather their 6th to 7th guy who fell out of favor in the playoffs. 

GW vs. Love
Love was waived by CLE this last season and picked up by Miami and you're telling me he's better than Grant Williams? Love is on his last legs, barely can defend, AND has injury issues. He's not a bad role player by any means but you're telling me that being 3 spots ahead of GW is accurate? Give me a break.

GW vs. Bey. 
Bey has been my "one that got away" since 2020, but despite that I recognize he's been a guy who puts up stats that doesn't necessarily translate to winning. Williams meanwhile has put up similar production and has been apart of winning teams. You can say the talent level is a wash, but that doesn't explain a 6 spot difference between them. 

GW vs. Jalen Williams
Jalen Williams is not a power forward and I don't understand why he's included in this list. He played a grand total of 22 minutes at PF last season (out of 2276 mins total). This isn't a proper comparison whatsoever and kind of shows the authors lack of knowledge. 

GW vs. Stewart.
Stewart is a center and his inclusion in the PF ranking is again nonsense. 

GW vs. Avdija
Avdija's offensive limitations and lack of clear defined skills makes him a 1 way player who can rebound. He's a good defender but Grant Williams is a better one. The only clear skill where Avdija is noticeably better at is rebounding. At the end of the day, Williams can hit a 3 AND defend. If Avdija ever figures out the 3pt shot then maybe we can revisit this. 

Regarding Powell, I said that there are justified arguments at putting him at 29th. In fact I think I even put him at 29th in my own ranking I made 2 months ago (got to double check that). But Wiseman isn't the starting center for Detroit, its Duren who is noticeably absent from the list.

Anyways, TL;DR, this article is a mess of inconsistent rankings and guys emphatically out of their position. I merely pointed out that THJ and Williams were ranked way too low for it to make sense on the face of it. If you want to disagree with that then by all means. 

At the end of the day it doesn't matter. I think this team will surprise a lot of people as long as they're healthy (and can get a freaking center).

(09-05-2023, 01:38 PM)omahen Wrote: I was too quick going through that piece.  The author assessed the team total at each position, which is represented by the chosen starter. The starter weight on the score is roughly 70 %. Thats why George backed by Powell combo is 3rd in SG, for example. Of course each excercise like that is subjective to an extent. But, it gives us a picture, what a more or less objective author thinks about where Mavs are. To be honest, I am not at all interested in disecting each player and if he should be 25th or 26th on the list as I don't think it is that much important in a big picture.

I wish I read this before I gave my fingers arthritis typing up my much too long reply doing exactly this, because I largely agree with you.

(09-05-2023, 01:12 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Can someone post the total rankings?

The author used the most inane graphs to post the rankings instead of just doing it numerically so it makes copy pasting a chore. So we'd have to go through individually and rank all 150 guys and I don't have that kind of time.