MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - mvossman - 08-30-2023

(08-30-2023, 01:51 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: They’ve been trying to trade THJ too.

They have, but something would have had to change for him to be an issue like this.  He has always been a bit of a chucker, but also considered a team guy and they re-signed him when they didn't have to.  On the other hand, he did talk about everybody knew their roles on that WCF team, and the only guys last year that were not part of that run were Wood, McGee and Timmy after he got hurt (and Kyrie, but he excluded him).

I still lean towards this being primarily about Wood, but maybe something went sideways with Timmy too.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - ItsGoTime - 08-30-2023

(08-30-2023, 02:47 PM)mvossman Wrote: They have, but something would have had to change for him to be an issue like this.  He has always been a bit of a chucker, but also considered a team guy and they re-signed him when they didn't have to.  On the other hand, he did talk about everybody knew their roles on that WCF team, and the only guys last year that were not part of that run were Wood, McGee and Timmy after he got hurt (and Kyrie, but he excluded him).

I still lean towards this being primarily about Wood, but maybe something went sideways with Timmy too.
I mean, there could be smoke there with his dad ripping Luka and Kyrie at the end of the season. I know THJ strongly disputed the comment, but the comment kinda came out of left field for everyone. May have been the father sticking up for the son and the son knowing what he needed to do publicly. Maybe not.

I was just adding his name to the list that Dan made so as not to gloss it over in case something is revealed in the future (the front office loves to air out the dirty laundry after players leave). Lets just say, I won’t be surprised if, when he leaves, we hear things went south. Seems like it’s not so unmanageable as to get rid of him at all costs, but possibly some distance south of where he was.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - chaparral - 08-30-2023

(08-30-2023, 10:34 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1696895688678703494?t=xp_rWQYPiVu5eTE_EHtvtw&s=19
“[Kyrie] recognizes that this is his game right here. Because if he gets bounced again [from another team], then that’s like ‘Can you be a Hall of Famer when you’ve bounced with five teams, even though you’ve got Hall of Fame talent?’”

This was a very enlightening 3 minutes from Cuban about the Mavs offseason and their thought process. LOTS of interesting tidbits. He speaks about how they had guys who played for themselves last season and that was their main issue.

Yes, thanks for posting this interview - SleepingHero...  Nothing Has Changed...

I have a different take from the comments posted about this clip.  To me, this is everything wrong with the Mavs organization - Mark Cuban is still talking!  

Mark and Nico traded for a player that coach Kidd did not want.  Mark and Nico signed McGee to that terrible contract.  The Kidd coach quit on the team and the owner now states it was players that were not on the same page - right!  Kidds coaching history shows that his past teams have played worst in their 2nd years.  

The owner should not be the one in this interview talking about the Mavs.  It should be the GM, and if the origination really wants to project that they have change - Dennis Lindsey should have been the interviewee.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - DallasMaverick - 08-30-2023

(08-30-2023, 08:01 PM)chaparral Wrote: Yes, thanks for posting this interview - SleepingHero...  Nothing Has Changed...

I have a different take from the comments posted about this clip.  To me, this is everything wrong with the Mavs organization - Mark Cuban is still talking!  

Mark and Nico traded for a player that coach Kidd did not want.  Mark and Nico signed McGee to that terrible contract.  The Kidd coach quit on the team and the owner now states it was players that were not on the same page - right!  Kidds coaching history shows that his past teams have played worst in their 2nd years.  

The owner should not be the one in this interview talking about the Mavs.  It should be the GM, and if the origination really wants to project that they have change - Dennis Lindsey should have been the interviewee.

So really, the culprit was Pat Beverly for wanting to interview Cuban.  He shouldn't have cared about anything Cuban thought.

Right?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - omahen - 08-30-2023

That is really smart. First you completely screw up the summer (speaking about previous summer). Lose second best player for nothing, screw up every other move made and lastly trade "half" of remaining team to bring in the replacement for that second star that walked, yet the problem is supposed to be guys playing for themselves. Real classy...

Wood and Bullock were the only guys playing significant minutes that were replaced. If he is speaking about players still on the team, he is even more stupid.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - chaparral - 08-31-2023

(08-30-2023, 08:34 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: So really, the culprit was Pat Beverly for wanting to interview Cuban.  He shouldn't have cared about anything Cuban thought.

Right?

I like Beverly, wish he would have joined the team a few years back.  He has every right to want to interview an NBA owner.  But all owners should decline and refer to the teams GM or press personal.

But that is just me.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - DanSchwartzgan - 08-31-2023

Keith Smith
@KeithSmithNBA

I can confirm that Dallas did elect to stretch the cap hit for JaVale McGee when they waived him.

When McGee clears waivers later today (he's not expected to be claimed), the Mavericks will have $2,348,324 in dead money on their books through the 2027-28 season.
7:14 AM · Aug 31, 2023

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - KillerLeft - 08-31-2023

(08-31-2023, 11:20 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Keith Smith
@KeithSmithNBA

I can confirm that Dallas did elect to stretch the cap hit for JaVale McGee when they waived him.

When McGee clears waivers later today (he's not expected to be claimed), the Mavericks will have $2,348,324 in dead money on their books through the 2027-28 season.

Interesting, to say the least.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - Scott41theMavs - 08-31-2023

(08-30-2023, 08:34 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: So really, the culprit was Pat Beverly for wanting to interview Cuban.  He shouldn't have cared about anything Cuban thought.

Right?

Shut up, Mark. In the wider sense, as well. (The latter is directed at the actual Mark, not DM)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - The Jom - 08-31-2023

(08-31-2023, 11:20 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Keith Smith
@KeithSmithNBA

“Not expected to be claimed”??? Hahaha!!!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - WildArkieBoy - 08-31-2023

(08-30-2023, 11:00 PM)omahen Wrote: That is really smart. First you completely screw up the summer (speaking about previous summer). Lose second best player for nothing, screw up every other move made and lastly trade "half" of remaining team to bring in the replacement for that second star that walked, yet the problem is supposed to be guys playing for themselves. Real classy...

Wood and Bullock were the only guys playing significant minutes that were replaced. If he is speaking about players still on the team, he is even more stupid.

Mark Cuban, since we've known him, has this incurable diarrhea of the mouth.  He's simply oblivious to the impact of his words on team morale and the bottom line of his business.  Generally, team owners learn to be more measured, but most don't see themselves as the "smartest person in the room."

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - speedkilz88 - 08-31-2023

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
24m
Three-time NBA champion JaVale McGee is signing with the Sacramento Kings, sources tell
@TheAthletic

@Stadium

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - Jmaciscool - 08-31-2023

(08-31-2023, 07:00 PM)speedkilz88 Wrote: Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
24m
Three-time NBA champion JaVale McGee is signing with the Sacramento Kings, sources tell
@TheAthletic

@Stadium

Kings fans had to watch their team pass on Luka so he could go to Dallas, watch their team trade the pick so that Hardy could go to Dallas, watch their team trade the pick so that OMax could go to Dallas, but now they FINALLY get to watch their team get a player from Dallas!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - DallasMaverick - 08-31-2023

(08-31-2023, 07:00 PM)speedkilz88 Wrote: Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
24m
@TheAthletic

@Stadium

Maybe he’ll get a 4th ring!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - IamDougieFresh - 08-31-2023

Kings have 5 centers now with Sabonis, Len, Noel, McGee and Queta. I’ve mentioned it a few times, but I’d love to get Neemias Queta. Same agent as Luka.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - HIMAV - 09-01-2023

(08-31-2023, 07:56 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: Kings fans had to watch their team pass on Luka so he could go to Dallas, watch their team trade the pick so that Hardy could go to Dallas, watch their team trade the pick so that OMax could go to Dallas, but now they FINALLY get to watch their team get a player from Dallas!

Isn't Javale just the "Maverick Green Icing" on the "Dallas Player Cake" known as Harrison Barnes for the Kings?  Smile

(Though, I guess in general, Harry Cake doesn't sound that appetizing.)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - SleepingHero - 09-01-2023

(08-31-2023, 07:56 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: Kings fans had to watch their team pass on Luka so he could go to Dallas, watch their team trade the pick so that Hardy could go to Dallas, watch their team trade the pick so that OMax could go to Dallas, but now they FINALLY get to watch their team get a player from Dallas!

Mavs to the Kings:

[Image: 7xp3in.jpg]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - surfpuckmd - 09-01-2023

(08-31-2023, 06:30 PM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: Mark Cuban, since we've known him, has this incurable diarrhea of the mouth.  He's simply oblivious to the impact of his words on team morale and the bottom line of his business.  Generally, team owners learn to be more measured, but most don't see themselves as the "smartest person in the room."

Is there another NBA owner who regularly insults their own players?

He clearly cared more about creating interesting content for Pat Bev's podcast than he did for supporting his own players. 

Good things seem to happen when he keeps quiet.

When he speaks, he's both a liability and an embarrassment.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - omahen - 09-01-2023

I think Mavs are in a very intersting and important decision regarding Green. I think he is facing a critical season regarding his value. If he takes another step forward, his value goes to the 15-20 mil per season range. But, if he stagnates and remains unimpressive, his value will imho drop to lower than it is right now. At some point, people stop dreaming about potential and admit that this might be it.

I have to say this world cup wasn't a good sign. Far from it being the set in stone sign of what is to come, but my optimism didn't really rise. Slovenia was hiding Luka with 4 fouls on Green and he was just able to rest with little worries, even delivering a big block, after he fell asleep on defense. Green is just somehow passive and a lot of other players got into more wide open situations than he did.

So, what is Greens value if this is it? Is he still so untradeable if this is it?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - surfpuckmd - 09-01-2023

(09-01-2023, 01:42 PM)omahen Wrote: I think Mavs are in a very intersting and important decision regarding Green. I think he is facing a critical season regarding his value. If he takes another step forward, his value goes to the 15-20 mil per season range. But, if he stagnates and remains unimpressive, his value will imho drop to lower than it is right now. At some point, people stop dreaming about potential and admit that this might be it.

I have to say this world cup wasn't a good sign. Far from it being the set in stone sign of what is to come, but my optimism didn't really rise. Slovenia was hiding Luka with 4 fouls on Green and he was just able to rest with little worries, even delivering a big block, after he fell asleep on defense. Green is just somehow passive and a lot of other players got into more wide open situations than he did.

So, what is Greens value if this is it? Is he still so untradeable if this is it?

I agree he hasn't had a good showing on offense.

However, I think it's difficult to draw conclusions based on FIBA play.  

Australia heavily featured Patty Mills and Josh Giddy offensively.  Giddy is understandable as he is really talented but they played Patty Mills as if he were Allen Iverson.  They also seem to have a hierarchy where their older vets play more minutes and get more shots-  especially Joe Ingles and Patty Mills.  

The offense seemed to be let Josh Giddy drive to the basket or have Patty Mills create offense.  Green was an afterthought.   He was also recovering from two separate injuries, I believe-  an ankle sprain and an elbow injury.

He looked really active defensively as we would expect.

I think Green played well for the Mavericks last season.  He is probably our best defensive player and he hit over 40% from 3.  The 3-point shooting improvement has been tremendous.  I think we're all hoping he can become more assertive offensively but the player he became last season has a lot of value for us.  With Luka, Kyrie, THJ and Hardy, we have a lot of guys who take a lot of shots.  I think we have a need for several good 3 and D players and Green is currently our best 3 and D.  The fact that he can handle the ball, pass and occasionally make some cuts to the basket I believe makes him a quality starter.  I expect him to become our 3rd-best player this coming season.  I hope they go ahead and extend him this summer.  I like the progression he has made over the past two seasons-  even if he didn't finish last season very well.