MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs sign DJJ|Mavs help DFS father make parole - surfpuckmd - 08-21-2023

(08-21-2023, 06:09 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Josh Green is a good player, and I hope the two sides reach a deal that everyone can live with.

But, in no universe is Green’s situation comparable to Brunson’s. Brunson is a STAR player, around whom both the NY Knicks and team USA have chosen to build their teams. The ceiling for what he’ll achieve in his career doesn’t yet appear to have dropped into sight.

Losing Green for nothing would blow, but cannot be compared to the Brunson disaster. Likewise, a successful retention of Green’s services will come nowhere close to making up for losing Brunson for nothing.

I didn't compare the players- I compared the situation.  Both Josh Green and Jalen Brunson are players the Mavericks drafted and developed.  We don't have a great history of drafting and developing players so both are remarkable.  Brunson and Green both improved dramatically while with the Mavericks.  Both seem like high-character players.  Successful NBA teams retain these kinds of players.  The Mavericks failed to retain Jalen Brunson due to some bad decisions.  I think not extending or retaining Josh Green would also be a bad decision.  I don't think it would be as bad as losing Brunson, however.  

I do think Mark Cuban should feel pressured to spend money to improve this team.  I think after losing Jalen Brunson, he should feel extra pressure.   I don't believe extending Josh Green would excuse him letting Brunson walk.  I feel like he owes Luka, Kyrie and the fans the most competitive team he can assemble.  That will entail paying the luxury tax from now on until Luka is no longer a Maverick.  In most professions, you can survive a mistake as long as you acknowledge it and learn from it.  If you make a similar mistake a year later, criticism will be much louder.

Basically, I agree with you. I think we believe the same things on this topic.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs sign DJJ|Mavs help DFS father make parole - DanSchwartzgan - 08-21-2023

Josh news…

https://youtu.be/BaD22TNzWJs

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs sign DJJ|Mavs help DFS father make parole - IamDougieFresh - 08-22-2023

(08-21-2023, 10:13 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Josh news…

He will be him by the end of the year especially if they get rid of Tim.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs sign DJJ|Mavs help DFS father make parole - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 08-22-2023

(08-21-2023, 10:13 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Josh news…

Damn Australians out here claiming all defense caliber.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs sign DJJ|Mavs help DFS father make parole - michaeltex - 08-22-2023

(08-21-2023, 09:41 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I didn't compare the players- I compared the situation.  Both Josh Green and Jalen Brunson are players the Mavericks drafted and developed.  We don't have a great history of drafting and developing players so both are remarkable.  Brunson and Green both improved dramatically while with the Mavericks.  Both seem like high-character players.  Successful NBA teams retain these kinds of players.  The Mavericks failed to retain Jalen Brunson due to some bad decisions.  I think not extending or retaining Josh Green would also be a bad decision.  I don't think it would be as bad as losing Brunson, however.  

I do think Mark Cuban should feel pressured to spend money to improve this team.  I think after losing Jalen Brunson, he should feel extra pressure.   I don't believe extending Josh Green would excuse him letting Brunson walk.  I feel like he owes Luka, Kyrie and the fans the most competitive team he can assemble.  That will entail paying the luxury tax from now on until Luka is no longer a Maverick.  In most professions, you can survive a mistake as long as you acknowledge it and learn from it.  If you make a similar mistake a year later, criticism will be much louder.

Basically, I agree with you.  I think we believe the same things on this topic.

I'm on board with this perspective. I'll add that I hope the MBT has learned their lesson on asset preservation. The original Brunson contract didn't allow for any FA restrictions, so there was no method to allow a match once the contract expired. Green is under more control (I think). 

To me the big lesson from Brunson is to not be afraid to pay for talent, even if the player isn't in your long term plans. And if your staff can't evaluate the talent to support that decision, then maybe you need a new staff. 

Imagine if they'd paid JB and he was now wanting his own team. Butt-load of assets would be coming back DAL's way. So in reality, it was kind of a double-whammy on the team building effort.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs sign DJJ|Mavs help DFS father make parole - MrGoat - 08-23-2023

Little bit of news I saw this morning

McGee will be stretch waived, breaking down the next two years over five.

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1694065717354594530

Markieff Morris will be re-signed. 

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1694062596591137156

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - DanSchwartzgan - 08-28-2023

From Stein:

?Derrick Jones Jr., league sources say, gave consideration to signing with Miami before opting to ink a one-year veteran minimum deal with Dallas on Aug. 18.

Also in Mavsland: As I first reported last Tuesday, Dallas intends to waive-and-stretch veteran center JaVale McGee before this Thursday’s deadline after it was unable to work McGee into a trade this offseason. The move is an acknowledgment from the Mavericks that they missed badly with the three-year, $17.2 million deal they extended to McGee last summer and going the waive-and-stretch route will spread the remaining $11.7 million into five annual salary-cap hits of $2.3 million.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - WillE - 08-28-2023

(08-28-2023, 10:51 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: From Stein:

?Derrick Jones Jr., league sources say, gave consideration to signing with Miami before opting to ink a one-year veteran minimum deal with Dallas on Aug. 18.

Also in Mavsland: As I first reported last Tuesday, Dallas intends to waive-and-stretch veteran center JaVale McGee before this Thursday’s deadline after it was unable to work McGee into a trade this offseason. The move is an acknowledgment from the Mavericks that they missed badly with the three-year, $17.2 million deal they extended to McGee last summer and going the waive-and-stretch route will spread the remaining $11.7 million into five annual salary-cap hits of $2.3 million.
I still hope that everything will miraculously resolve itself and we will end up approving this move as well as all the others this summer.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - DanSchwartzgan - 08-29-2023

Green started against Japan this morning.  Boomers led by as much as 27, but down to 14 right now as Japan had a great 3rd quarter.

Dalton Trigg (@dalton_trigg)

Australia leads Japan 85-66 late in the 3rd & Josh Green has 15 points on 5/6 FG (3-3 from deep) and 4 steals in 18 minutes off the bench.
Twitter • Today at 7:18 AM

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - Jym - 08-29-2023

And Thybulle has scored 4 points across 3 games

Give me Exum + DJJ over Thybulle

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - WillE - 08-30-2023

Bobby Marks: McGee signed a 3/$17.2M contract in the 2022 offseason. He had $11.7M remaining over the next 2 years. The McGee money will be stretched over 5 seasons (total of years left multiplied by 2 plus 1)- $2,348,324 Aug. 31 is the last day to use the waive and stretch provision. Dallas is now $5.5M below the tax.

(08-30-2023, 12:10 AM)WillE Wrote: Bobby Marks: McGee signed a 3/$17.2M contract in the 2022 offseason. He had $11.7M remaining over the next 2 years. The McGee money will be stretched over 5 seasons (total of years left multiplied by 2 plus 1)- $2,348,324 Aug. 31 is the last day to use the waive and stretch provision. Dallas is now $5.5M below the tax.
No further announcement, so no Morris yet.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - SleepingHero - 08-30-2023

https://twitter.com/MavsStan41/status/1696690575414554848

Leaked audio of the Luka/Book altercation from the season.

(Via @legendz_nba )

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - SleepingHero - 08-30-2023

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1696895688678703494?t=xp_rWQYPiVu5eTE_EHtvtw&s=19
“[Kyrie] recognizes that this is his game right here. Because if he gets bounced again [from another team], then that’s like ‘Can you be a Hall of Famer when you’ve bounced with five teams, even though you’ve got Hall of Fame talent?’”

This was a very enlightening 3 minutes from Cuban about the Mavs offseason and their thought process. LOTS of interesting tidbits. He speaks about how they had guys who played for themselves last season and that was their main issue.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 08-30-2023

(08-30-2023, 10:34 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: He speaks about how they had guys who played for themselves last season and that was their main issue.

Pretty obvious digs at C Wood here for sure but I wonder if there were others he had in mind with this comment.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - KillerLeft - 08-30-2023

(08-30-2023, 10:34 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1696895688678703494?t=xp_rWQYPiVu5eTE_EHtvtw&s=19
“[Kyrie] recognizes that this is his game right here. Because if he gets bounced again [from another team], then that’s like ‘Can you be a Hall of Famer when you’ve bounced with five teams, even though you’ve got Hall of Fame talent?’”

This was a very enlightening 3 minutes from Cuban about the Mavs offseason and their thought process. LOTS of interesting tidbits. He speaks about how they had guys who played for themselves last season and that was their main issue.

One of the most relatable and enlightening Cuban clips I can remember. Thanks for posting!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - DanSchwartzgan - 08-30-2023

(08-30-2023, 10:41 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Pretty obvious digs at C Wood here for sure but I wonder if there were others he had in mind with this comment.

If you aren’t asked back (or paid to leave…McGee), there is a good chance he was talking about you.  Reggie and Bertans are gone too, so it could be a host of players (including Wood)

There are more ways to “play for yourself” than just shot attempts, but I was curious if anyone had a shot per minute rate that stood out.  For reference, Luka gets off .60 shots a minute.  Kyrie in Dallas was .50 shots a minute (or a shot every two minutes).  Josh and Reggie are much lower at .25 or a shot every four minutes.

THJ was .40 before the AS break and .35 after.  That is the kind of adjustment you might expect when adding a higher usage star.  Wood was .40 before and after Kyrie arrived.  So, no adjustment.  But, almost all of his minutes came with one of Luka/Kyrie sitting.  The one that jumped out at me was Hardy.  He shoots at the same rate per minute as Kyrie…a shot every two minutes.  Fortunately, he hit them at a high rate.  Between that and his super high TO rate, I think I get a better understanding of why he has so much competition on the roster.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 08-30-2023

(08-30-2023, 12:48 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: If you aren’t asked back (or paid to leave…McGee), there is a good chance he was talking about you.  Reggie and Bertans are gone too, so it could be a host of players (including Wood)

There are more ways to “play for yourself” than just shot attempts, but I was curious if anyone had a shot per minute rate that stood out.  For reference, Luka gets off .60 shots a minute.  Kyrie in Dallas was .50 shots a minute (or a shot every two minutes).  Josh and Reggie are much lower at .25 or a shot every four minutes.

THJ was .40 before the AS break and .35 after.  That is the kind of adjustment you might expect when adding a higher usage star.  Wood was .40 before and after Kyrie arrived.  So, no adjustment.  But, almost all of his minutes came with one of Luka/Kyrie sitting.  The one that jumped out at me was Hardy.  He shoots at the same rate per minute as Kyrie…a shot every two minutes.  Fortunately, he hit them at a high rate.  Between that and his super high TO rate, I think I get a better understanding of why he has so much competition on the roster.

Ya Hardy was really the only name that came to mind when I was thinking of everyone else.  I think it was just confusing because out of the guys who are now gone, they really didn't do much on the court anyway so it was hard to have any idea of how they could be acting selfishly but to your point, it could have been much more than just on court touches/shots.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - ItsGoTime - 08-30-2023

(08-30-2023, 12:48 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: If you aren’t asked back (or paid to leave…McGee), there is a good chance he was talking about you.  Reggie and Bertans are gone too, so it could be a host of players (including Wood)

They’ve been trying to trade THJ too.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - Scott41theMavs - 08-30-2023

(08-30-2023, 01:51 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: They’ve been trying to trade THJ too.

Wonder what they'll do to solve that problem presuming he's still here in training camp.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs S/W McGee, sign Morris - WillE - 08-30-2023

(08-30-2023, 12:48 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: There are more ways to “play for yourself” than just shot attempts
Cuban added right after that "or not play for the team".

But of the remaining guys I hardly can imagine that Maxi, DP or Josh would qualify under one of these categories, so if anyone than it could be THJ and/or Hardy.