MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - KillerLeft - 08-09-2023

https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/1689402747219558400?s=20

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - Jym - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 07:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, it's tempting to credit Lindsay with a lot of this, since he's new. 

But, it could be someone else doing less, like Cuban, for example. 

Then again, maybe Harrison is just starting to figure things out.

Now we'll just have to see if Kidd can get his crap together. People hating on the center rotation but I think it's fine for the regular season. Coaching is looking like the glaring deficiency to me

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - myconsumerclub - 08-09-2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC4mv_t1gmA BREAKING: Dallas Mavericks Sign Derrick Jones Jr. To FULLY GUARANTEED Contract | Mavs News Today

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - MrGoat - 08-09-2023

This isn't even the first offseason I've wanted us to sign DJJ, I really like the move as long as he still has his athleticism

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - Reunion Mav - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 07:48 PM)Jym Wrote: Now we'll just have to see if Kidd can get his crap together. People hating on the center rotation but I think it's fine for the regular season. Coaching is looking like the glaring deficiency to me

If the front office can recover from a horrible year, so can Coach Kidd.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - HoosierDaddyKid - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 07:48 PM)Jym Wrote: Now we'll just have to see if Kidd can get his crap together. People hating on the center rotation but I think it's fine for the regular season. Coaching is looking like the glaring deficiency to me

The coaching job Kidd does is the key to the whole season. Hopefully he learned something, because he took a step back last year from the previous one.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - KillerLeft - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 10:21 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: If the front office can recover from a horrible year, so can Coach Kidd.

Very true.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - ThisIStheYear - 08-09-2023

It is a more Kidd friendly roster for sure. He hasn’t really shown an ability to adjust his coaching to fit a roster, but the front office has definitely adjusted the roster to fit his coaching. He has no excuse not to succeed now outside of a long term injury to Luka or Kyrie.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - F Gump - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 06:18 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I’m a little surprised they are carrying 15 players.  Of course, it might not stay that way.  Was this also our last roster spot.  Asking for a friend who was hoping for a S&T.

If the minimum, then we are $2mm under the tax.  Feels more like a “we are done” move than “another move is coming” move.

I subscribe to all of this analysis. Good signing for the last roster spot. Shams says minimum, which means they let the market come to them on this one (which is another positive sign), since he apparently had been unsuccessfully chasing a much bigger deal. 

It's also an example imo of how minutes, rather than money, can land a player -- the Mavs minutes they had for Thybulle are still there to be had by someone, if he can come in and earn them.

Yes, this is/isn't the last roster slot. :-)  They have a full set of bodies on paper, I think.* But as you know, there's nothing that would prevent them from adding another if they wanted to -- this time of year, just waive someone expendable if you already have 21. And if they had an IMPORTANT target available, no biggie to shuffle the cards. The only limit is Apron 1 and trade-match rules.

[*Or do they? I lose interest in closely following the bodies not really meant to be on the NBA roster, but saw this blurb which sounds like they are still not even full yet. "When Jones’ signing becomes official, he will be the team’s 15th standard contract. Dallas also has two of its three two-way slots filled, with potential Exhibit 10 contracts looming for Greg Brown, Joe Wieskamp and Jordan Walker." The limit iiuc is 21, and that only adds up to 20. Are we missing someone?]

But back to something I do care to understand -- When you worry about roster limits (which we shouldn't, of course), do you have a specific target/trade in mind, that you think is just past the next turn in the road?

I am curious if you do. I see a diff path, of course, since I went on record here weeks ago, saying that while Sept 6 opens a certain window (as did Aug 6), I'm inclined to think their work was basically done in early July, and that if we wait for their other/big move, it's gonna be a big wait for nothing. I say this only because they do this often-- when their roster looks unfinished where they have whiffed on what they said they would do, we get "leaks" (PR-focused untruths, it seems to me) via inside media telling us they have more coming (this year, it's Stein, McMahon, and Cato) somewhere ahead (in August or so) and then wait-wait-wait-wait-nothing. There's a lot of Mavs FO history telling me we're in "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice (or 5-10 times)..." territory. Just like last year. And many times prior. But would love to be surprised.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - surfpuckmd - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 11:08 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: It is a more Kidd friendly roster for sure. He hasn’t really shown an ability to adjust his coaching to fit a roster, but the front office has definitely adjusted the roster to fit his coaching. He has no excuse not to succeed now outside of a long term injury to Luka or Kyrie.

I had a similar thought.  I think Kidd might have a better year this season because the roster fits better.  If not, we’ll get a new coach next off-season.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - dirkfansince1998 - 08-10-2023

Edit. Wrong thread.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - DanSchwartzgan - 08-10-2023

(08-09-2023, 11:14 PM)F Gump Wrote: But back to something I do care to understand -- When you worry about roster limits (which we shouldn't, of course), do you have a specific target/trade in mind, that you think is just past the next turn in the road?

I am curious if you do. I see a diff path, of course, since I went on record here weeks ago, saying that while Sept 6 opens a certain window (as did Aug 6), I'm inclined to think their work was basically done in early July, and that if we wait for their other/big move, it's gonna be a big wait for nothing. 

That particular comment was about Wood.  If we are indeed at the roster limit and if we are indeed done, then a Wood S&T is even more challenging than it was before.  It’s obviously not impossible as things could change, but it just seems really unlikely now.  

I agree that we do this “one more move” dance every season.  I think Stein’s reporting has been the biggest thing that has kept my hope alive for something more this time.  He just seemed so sure that something would eventually happen regarding THJ and McGee.  Maybe 9/6 is what we are waiting for.  Or maybe we’ve been done for six weeks and just don’t know it yet.

I’ll note that Jones signed a straight one year…different than others who did the 1+1 (TO).  So, he’s purely betting on himself.  When is the last time we saw someone do that in Dallas.  He’s 26 and gets solid backup minutes wherever he goes.  At the minimum, our money isn’t any more than anyone else’s.  Is the opportunity better here?  Probably not if the roster is set.  It’s not every day that Dallas gets value contracts on guys like this without a clear path to minutes.  Yet, we did.  That gives me a little bit of hope

The team seems to be making better use of roster slots 10-15.  We aren’t used to that either.  Maybe the team is just setting up healthy competition for minutes while protecting against injuries (Maxi).  Maybe they don’t want to be too dependent on rookies.  Or, maybe we are signing more viable players than we might need to provide flexibility if we do a 2/1 deal.  Of course that deal could be between now and the season opener or later in the season.  Any of those things seem like smart ideas.  It just isn’t how we’ve used the back 1/3 of the roster in recent years, so it makes you wonder.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - KillerLeft - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 10:51 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I’ll note that Jones signed a straight one year…different than others who did the 1+1 (TO).  So, he’s purely betting on himself.  When is the last time we saw someone do that in Dallas.  He’s 26 and gets solid backup minutes wherever he goes.  At the minimum, our money isn’t any more than anyone else’s.  Is the opportunity better here?  Probably not if the roster is set.  It’s not every day that Dallas gets value contracts on guys like this without a clear path to minutes.  Yet, we did.  That gives me a little bit of hope

Lots of great points in your post, but the one above stood out to me. Really good sign, I agree. I also think similar points could be made about Curry and Exum (depending on how much interest in him there was).

I also think that between DJJ and Curry, there’s a chance O-Max and Hardy don’t get nearly as much burn as people are expecting, and that this will cause some negativity among the fan base.

I hope they’re both ready, but ultimately we have to trust the pros who evaluate them constantly.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - rocky164 - 08-10-2023

(08-09-2023, 10:21 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: If the front office can recover from a horrible year, so can Coach Kidd.

IMO Kidd is the major intangible for having a successful season.  What we saw last year was offensive coaching at its worst.  Kidd needs to have out of bounds plays after time outs and end of game plays that are different that just throwing the ball to Luka and hope he hits a 3.  Last year many times teams knew what play they were running before they ran it.  That cannot happen again. I still believe we are an offensive coordinator type coach short.  I have very little hope Kidd can improve in that area, but we’ll soon see.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - mvossman - 08-10-2023

(08-09-2023, 07:19 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yes, his value here is as a screener/vertical threat. I think people need to wrap their minds around that early or they'll be pissed at how it goes for him here. 

On the other hand, when they're on defense, I think he can easily guard down, which makes him a pretty decent fit on a Luka team.

I think there is a lot of truth to this, but I will mention that he has shot over 40% from the left corner (small volume) each of the last three years.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - KillerLeft - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 12:55 PM)mvossman Wrote: I think there is a lot of truth to this, but I will mention that he has shot over 40% from the left corner (small volume) each of the last three years.

Yeah, he can let one fly if he’s wide open, which is great, and he might even continue the trend of improving that skill playing next to Luka. 

I just want to caution folks that he’s not a “wing” on offense, really. He’s going to be ignored by the defense if he isn’t actively involved as a screener or cutter. His main competition for minutes, weirdly, is probably Powell/Holmes. Put him at the 4 with Kleber (or even Grant Williams) at the 5, and he’ll fit in pretty damn well.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - omahen - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 10:51 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I’ll note that Jones signed a straight one year…different than others who did the 1+1 (TO). 

1+1 (TO) is better for the team than just one year deal. It gives the team full flexibility what happens with the player next season. Unless you meant player option.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - DallasMaverick - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 01:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, he can let one fly if he’s wide open, which is great, and he might even continue the trend of improving that skill playing next to Luka. 

I just want to caution folks that he’s not a “wing” on offense, really. He’s going to be ignored by the defense if he isn’t actively involved as a screener or cutter. His main competition for minutes, weirdly, is probably Powell/Holmes. Put him at the 4 with Kleber (or even Grant Williams) at the 5, and he’ll fit in pretty damn well.

Maybe a similar player to DFS. Good D, worse 3p shooting, but better around the rim.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - ItsGoTime - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 01:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, he can let one fly if he’s wide open, which is great, and he might even continue the trend of improving that skill playing next to Luka. 

If he can hit 40% because the defense ignores him, Luka will get the ball to him (since DJJ’s man will be doubling him). It won’t take very long for the league to gameplan a bit differently, or DJJ will score 15 ppg.

I see what you’re saying and can see that being his most likely and best fit, I just think that sweet spot is a staple in our offense. I’m just hoping we can capitalize on that type of poor gameplanning (if the number holds).

More musings on what the DJJ signing might portend:

There is no universe in which his presence here affects the minutes for THJ, Green, Curry or Hardy. Again, you can compare sizes and body types and it’s tempting to think he might present a more defense-first, athletic option to some of those guys. In reality, the guys whose minutes this might (MIGHT) affect are Powell, Williams, Kleber, Holmes and O-Max. In other words, this guy merits inclusion among the Mavs’ BIGS, basically.

Further, I weirdly think the timing of this signing might signal that they’ve given up on any possible trade for a center. DJJ is not a center, but he has played small-ball 5 quite a bit, actually (as has GWilliams). I see this as adding another tool in the belt of “bigs by committee” and think it means we’re likely to see a LOT of small ball.

5/4 combos like this will be the mainstays:
Powell or Holmes with Williams or maybe O-Max (if his shot is reliable)
Kleber with Williams, O-Max or DJJ

But, we might also see a fair amount of:
DJJR or O-Max at the 5, GWilliams at the 4 (or the reverse of this)

Talk about a fast, athletic, switchable defense!