MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - RDB - 07-28-2023

(07-28-2023, 11:38 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: I Lively is RAW.

And young…and skinny.  He will likely always be on the skinnier side but he will develop an NBA ready body relatively quickly with NBA level training.  

To me, Lively still has a bit of that awkward teenager look of someone who has grown fast but his coordination hasn’t quite caught up.  Considering he is a 7’1”, 230 lb. teenager and only one season removed from high school basketball, that’s to be expected.  Personally, I think much of what looks like rawness on tape is really about developing into his body.

While I have cautioned against high expectations in year 1, I do believe he will play a significant role in year 2.  You can see the athleticism and he has good mentors in Chandler and Powell.  He just needs some time to develop into his body and learn the pro game.  Did I mention he is a 7’1”, 230 lb. teenager, 1 year removed from high school.  Kevin Durant would love to hang out by the pool with Lively.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - mvossman - 07-29-2023

(07-28-2023, 11:38 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: I think this for OMax, but not Lively.  Lively is RAW.

Lively is very raw on the offensive end, but he is near NBA ready on the defensive side of the ball (just needs to cut down on the fouls).  To provide quality minutes on the court, he just needs to learn to set screens and be a decent lob threat.  Given his BBIQ and apparent work ethic, he should be able to get there relatively quickly.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - MFFL - 07-29-2023

LOL

Don't you ever look off Dirk to take your raggedy a** jump shot again.

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/dallas-mavs-brendan-haywood-rick-carlisle-dirk-nowitzki-hilarious-story?fbclid=IwAR0COPQXm6OGimdDLdrBHt0tuSioQE0EuLeP5ABue1Jg2H1R1Ll-fMaFBuE

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - mvossman - 07-29-2023

(07-28-2023, 06:33 PM)RDB Wrote: And young…and skinny.  He will likely always be on the skinnier side but he will develop an NBA ready body relatively quickly with NBA level training.  

To me, Lively still has a bit of that awkward teenager look of someone who has grown fast but his coordination hasn’t quite caught up.  Considering he is a 7’1”, 230 lb. teenager and only one season removed from high school basketball, that’s to be expected.  Personally, I think much of what looks like rawness on tape is really about developing into his body.

While I have cautioned against high expectations in year 1, I do believe he will play a significant role in year 2.  You can see the athleticism and he has good mentors in Chandler and Powell.  He just needs some time to develop into his body and learn the pro game.  Did I mention he is a 7’1”, 230 lb. teenager, 1 year removed from high school.  Kevin Durant would love to hang out by the pool with Lively.

I saw an interesting stat somewhere regarding center size coming into the NBA.  Livey is actually one of the bulkier guys at his age.  Tyson Chandler for example, was much skinnier coming into NBA.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - MFFL - 07-29-2023

Grant Afseth
@GrantAfseth

Luka Doncic, when asked about the Dallas Mavericks at a press conference with the Slovenian national team.

"I'm not thinking about it yet, but Dallas is taking good steps."

https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1685306343727472641

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - KillerLeft - 07-29-2023

(07-29-2023, 11:51 AM)MFFL Wrote: Grant Afseth
@GrantAfseth

Luka Doncic, when asked about the Dallas Mavericks at a press conference with the Slovenian national team.

"I'm not thinking about it yet, but Dallas is taking good steps."

https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1685306343727472641

This is slightly bigger news than it might seem, at least imo. 

I remember last season about this time he was asked this and his response was something like (paraphrasing, from memory) "it's early. Let's see what other moves they make." Then, they basically made no other moves, lol.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - Smitty - 07-29-2023

“In today’s press conference, Luka was asked about Dallas building the team:

look, we are with the national team right now, so i'm not thinking about that, maybe something will be still signed, maybe not, but I think we made a good step for us“

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - SamStetz - 07-30-2023

Marc Stein: I know there were some recent reports that Jaylen Nowell from Minnesota is a potential target. I was actually told the Mavericks are not really in that race at this point. So to this point, I would scratch Nowell as a target for the Mavericks, at least that was that’s what I was told yesterday.

Marc Stein: The Mavericks don’t want to be done. Maybe they are done with this roster because further moves are not available to them. They would love if the chance to make another trade run at Clint Capela from the Atlanta Hawks materializes to this point. That opportunity has not availed itself to the Mavericks. But will Atlanta move Capela elsewhere which creates an opportunity for Dallas to try to get in as a third team? Or would they trade him somewhere to a team that really only needs him for contract purposes, salary cap matching purposes in the trade and then that team makes Capela available? Would the Mavs love for that opportunity to be presented? Yes, they would. They did not at the draft. They were not willing to package number 10 and Josh Green to get Clint Capela, they deemed the price too high at that time, but the interest has not gone away.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - RDB - 07-30-2023

(07-29-2023, 08:59 AM)mvossman Wrote: I saw an interesting stat somewhere regarding center size coming into the NBA.  Livey is actually one of the bulkier guys at his age.  Tyson Chandler for example, was much skinnier coming into NBA.

I’m not aware of the stat but I wouldn’t be surprised.  For me it’s less about the weight only and more about the weight, height, experience, and age.  I think Tyson was 225 and I believe one of the weaknesses listed in his draft profile was his underdeveloped body as well.  I would guess that is a fairly common weakness for most 7’ teenagers coming into the NBA.

Like I said, I like Lively and think he will be a solid pro.  It just looks to me like he needs a little maturity.  I believe Tyson played around 235, so it’s not like Lively needs to put on 25 pounds.  He and the Mav’s Tyson aren’t that far apart from a measurables standpoint but I think most would agree the Mav’s Tyson looked like a man and Lively still has a bit of an awkward teenager look.  Personally I don’t think it will take a long time but he is not ready for anywhere close to an 82 game schedule today.

Here is an article I was recently reading regarding Lively’s pre college path.  

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildcats/news/get-to-know-dereck-lively-ii-a-5-star-big-man-and-current-kentucky-target/

Derek’s AAU team director comments that Derek missed his freshman season and was limited his junior season which impacted his development and confidence.  Considering that, it makes me even more optimistic that he is nowhere near his potential upside.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - ItsGoTime - 07-30-2023

(07-30-2023, 08:15 AM)SamStetz Wrote: Marc Stein: I know there were some recent reports that Jaylen Nowell from Minnesota is a potential target. I was actually told the Mavericks are not really in that race at this point. So to this point, I would scratch Nowell as a target for the Mavericks, at least that was that’s what I was told yesterday.

Marc Stein: The Mavericks don’t want to be done. Maybe they are done with this roster because further moves are not available to them. They would love if the chance to make another trade run at Clint Capela from the Atlanta Hawks materializes to this point. That opportunity has not availed itself to the Mavericks. But will Atlanta move Capela elsewhere which creates an opportunity for Dallas to try to get in as a third team? Or would they trade him somewhere to a team that really only needs him for contract purposes, salary cap matching purposes in the trade and then that team makes Capela available? Would the Mavs love for that opportunity to be presented? Yes, they would. They did not at the draft. They were not willing to package number 10 and Josh Green to get Clint Capela, they deemed the price too high at that time, but the interest has not gone away.
See, and this is where I think the unprotected 27 is about the value of Josh Green and a 5 spot trade down in the draft. As well as Atl paying the 2 SRPs going to OKC for taking on McGee.

Also, if they’re done, does that mean the conviction of McGee not being on the team this season was quite overblown?

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - loki - 07-30-2023

(07-30-2023, 09:27 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Also, if they’re done, does that mean the conviction of McGee not being on the team this season was quite overblown?
I hope so. No sense in waiving a guy on a 2 year contract or spending two 2nd rounders to dump him. McGee will be more useful as salary filler next offseason than as a dead cap hit.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - mvossman - 07-30-2023

(07-30-2023, 09:43 AM)loki Wrote: I hope so. No sense in waiving a guy on a 2 year contract or spending two 2nd rounders to dump him. McGee will be more useful as salary filler next offseason than as a dead cap hit.

That depends on whether he was a locker room issue.  I don't know of him having a history of that, and the only noise I am aware of regarding last season was Luka giving the bench an occasional dirty look when McGee did something particularly stupid.  But it does seem strange they are so adamant to dump him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - ItsGoTime - 07-30-2023

(07-30-2023, 09:43 AM)loki Wrote: I hope so. No sense in waiving a guy on a 2 year contract or spending two 2nd rounders to dump him. McGee will be more useful as salary filler next offseason than as a dead cap hit.
I totally agree. The only reason I’ve added him in my trades is because of the constant reminder all offseason from Stein that he will not be on the roster this season. His inclusion really makes no sense in pretty much any trade this year.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - KillerLeft - 07-30-2023

(07-30-2023, 10:24 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I totally agree. The only reason I’ve added him in my trades is because of the constant reminder all offseason from Stein that he will not be on the roster this season. His inclusion really makes no sense in pretty much any trade this year.

I think Stein was carrying a little water for the Mavs, that's all. Easy to see why the Mavs wanted rid of McGee, especially now that we know their limit is the tax line, not the 1st apron.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - loki - 07-30-2023

(07-30-2023, 10:16 AM)mvossman Wrote: That depends on whether he was a locker room issue.  I don't know of him having a history of that, and the only noise I am aware of regarding last season was Luka giving the bench an occasional dirty look when McGee did something particularly stupid.  But it does seem strange they are so adamant to dump him.

If there is some kind of locker room issue we're not aware of I would say just send him home for the year. Hopefully that doesn't become necessary though.

(07-30-2023, 10:44 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think Stein was carrying a little water for the Mavs, that's all. Easy to see why the Mavs wanted rid of McGee, especially now that we know their limit is the tax line, not the 1st apron.
Good point. Now do we talk about the need to stay below the tax line? Apron 1 I understand fully why we would want to stay below, but the tax line is only a Mark payout issue. If that is any part of the reason we’re not making further trades, I might have to stop watching myself.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - dirkfansince1998 - 07-30-2023

Question is if they simply want to get rid off McGee because of his contract/level of play or if they have other reasons (locker room).

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - mvossman - 07-30-2023

(07-30-2023, 10:54 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Good point. Now do we talk about the need to stay below the tax line? Apron 1 I understand fully why we would want to stay below, but the tax line is only a Mark payout issue. If that is any part of the reason we’re not making further trades, I might have to stop watching myself.

We have to stay under apron 1 after the Williams S&T.  Not an option.  Staying under tax line makes sense from a long term repeater tax standpoint.  There is only 7 mil difference and I don't think its keeping us from doing any major moves.  At this point it makes total sense to stay below the tax if there is not a worthwhile bigger move out there.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Nowell?|Mavs help DFS father make parole - KillerLeft - 07-30-2023

(07-30-2023, 10:54 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Good point. Now do we talk about the need to stay below the tax line? Apron 1 I understand fully why we would want to stay below, but the tax line is only a Mark payout issue. If that is any part of the reason we’re not making further trades, I might have to stop watching myself.

It's pretty clear that's the goal, at least for this summer. Like always, the motivation can be explained by wanting to avoid paying tax in order to avoid repeater tax penalties and increasingly harsh disadvantages in the future, but to be honest, that's the reason that would be given to us even if the real reason was purely cheapness, so it's a legitimate question. 

I brought this up the other day and people spent about .05 seconds thinking about it before they dismissed it, but there's so much smoke from the ATL side regarding Josh Green. When you look as where the team is now, Green is important and I agree, not a player I'd move for Capela. However, I can't say that Capela isn't worth one young player like Green in a vacuum, and if we open our minds to the possibility that Cuban is thinking of ways to avoid the tax permanently, or at least as long as possible, then Green's impending free agency isn't the most convenient thing for them to work around. I have a sneaky suspicion that Green is not off the table in the right deal, now or at the deadline, and IF he gets moved, I will take it as a sign that the team will want to avoid the tax again next year, and that setting that path up ahead of time was at least part of the motivation. 

I hope that doesn't happen, but if it does, that's when I'll start to worry about Cuban's cheapness.

(07-30-2023, 11:11 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's pretty clear that's the goal, at least for this summer. Like always, the motivation can be explained by wanting to avoid paying tax in order to avoid repeater tax penalties and increasingly harsh disadvantages in the future, but to be honest, that's the reason that would be given to us even if the real reason was purely cheapness, so it's a legitimate question. 

I brought this up the other day and people spent about .05 seconds thinking about it before they dismissed it, but there's so much smoke from the ATL side regarding Josh Green. When you look as where the team is now, Green is important and I agree, not a player I'd move for Capela. However, I can't say that Capela isn't worth one young player like Green in a vacuum, and if we open our minds to the possibility that Cuban is thinking of ways to avoid the tax permanently, or at least as long as possible, then Green's impending free agency isn't the most convenient thing for them to work around. I have a sneaky suspicion that Green is not off the table in the right deal, now or at the deadline, and IF he gets moved, I will take it as a sign that the team will want to avoid the tax again next year, and that setting that path up ahead of time was at least part of the motivation. 

I hope that doesn't happen, but if it does, that's when I'll start to worry about Cuban's cheapness.

Cuban seemed willing to pay the tax for Thybulle. I'd be surprised if he wouldn't do the same for Capela. 

Hopefully they have a pretty good idea of the chances of extending Green for a reasonable price by now. If he's not interested in a Grant Williams-type contract then I could see them being more willing to deal him. On the other hand, going to restricted free agency wouldn't be the end of the world.