MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-24-2023

Another 6’4” shoot first SG buried behind THJ, Hardy and Curry?  Make no sense unless something else is happening.  Now, if there is a THJ for Anderson deal, Minny would need to add a small salary to make the math work.  Maybe the Nowell ‘interest’ is nothing more than that?

https://ahnfiredigital.com/nba/dallas-mavericks/report-timberwolves-ready-to-move-on-from-jaylen-nowell-whos-being-linked-to-mavericks/

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - Tyler - 07-24-2023

(07-24-2023, 10:04 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Another 6’4” shoot first SG buried behind THJ, Hardy and Curry?  Make no sense unless something else is happening.  Now, if there is a THJ for Anderson deal, Minny would need to add a small salary to make the math work.  Maybe the Nowell ‘interest’ is nothing more than that?

https://ahnfiredigital.com/nba/dallas-mavericks/report-timberwolves-ready-to-move-on-from-jaylen-nowell-whos-being-linked-to-mavericks/

The relevant part of the quote for me: 

"But here’s a new team in on Jaylen Nowell: the Dallas Mavericks. They need to create some roster flexibility, they are looking into doing some stuff is the word and it may not come to fruition. But Jaylen Nowell is on Dallas’ radar."

I interpret that as implying that Dallas is interested in Nowell only assuming that they first complete a trade (which may not happen) that creates more roster flexibility. The obvious trade that would fit the description is the rumored THJ+McGee for Capela swap (as part of the Siakam deal) that has tons of smoke.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - Knutsen - 07-24-2023

(07-24-2023, 10:04 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Another 6’4” shoot first SG buried behind THJ, Hardy and Curry?  Make no sense unless something else is happening.  Now, if there is a THJ for Anderson deal, Minny would need to add a small salary to make the math work.  Maybe the Nowell ‘interest’ is nothing more than that?

Interesting. How‘s his defense, is he a poor man‘s Thybulle - or more like a poor man’s Seth Curry?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - Chicagojk - 07-24-2023

I have always liked Nowell but I think his play was not as great this past year. Minnesota has done a real nice job finding talent. Outside or the Gobert blunder they have been excellent. Not sure how he fits with the Dallas roster. Even if we traded Hardaway the fit seems full though.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - KillerLeft - 07-24-2023

(07-24-2023, 10:28 AM)Tyler Wrote: The relevant part of the quote for me: 

"But here’s a new team in on Jaylen Nowell: the Dallas Mavericks. They need to create some roster flexibility, they are looking into doing some stuff is the word and it may not come to fruition. But Jaylen Nowell is on Dallas’ radar."

I interpret that as implying that Dallas is interested in Nowell only assuming that they first complete a trade (which may not happen) that creates more roster flexibility. The obvious trade that would fit the description is the rumored THJ+McGee for Capela swap (as part of the Siakam deal) that has tons of smoke.

This was my takeaway, too. 

An extension takeaway, though: if Nowell (or Gay) is a target for the if/when of a THJ trade, I think there’s a message mixed in about how the team views Hardy’s current state of readiness…or maybe even whether or not they’re looking at something involving Hardy outgoing.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - Smitty - 07-24-2023

(07-24-2023, 11:30 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: This was my takeaway, too. 

An extension takeaway, though: if Nowell (or Gay) is a target for the if/when of a THJ trade, I think there’s a message mixed in about how the team views Hardy’s current state of readiness…or maybe even whether or not they’re looking at something involving Hardy outgoing, even.

I know it’s taboo to say it out loud but I wouldn’t be opposed to Hardy being dealt if it brought back a real difference maker. I don’t know who that player is, certainly neither of the Centers the Mavs have been linked to (Capela, Ayton). 
OG, Siakam level guys - sure!

(07-24-2023, 11:36 AM)Smitty Wrote: I know it’s taboo to say it out loud but I wouldn’t be opposed to Hardy being dealt if it brought back a real difference maker. I don’t know who that player is, certainly neither of the Centers the Mavs have been linked to (Capela, Ayton). 
OG, Siakam level guys - sure!

As you say it would depend on the difference maker, but I agree. They don’t have enough draft capital to put WITH a guy like Hardy to land someone like that now though, which is why I’m glad they didn’t put that pick (or Hardy) into any of these rumored deals this year.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - Jym - 07-24-2023

(07-24-2023, 11:42 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: As you say it would depend on the difference maker, but I agree. They don’t have enough draft capital to put WITH a guy like Hardy to land someone like that now though, which is why I’m glad they didn’t put that pick (or Hardy) into any of these rumored deals this year.

Yeah we'll see how much time the rookies get this year, but if they build some starter level value we really could have a hell of a package to throw at an Embiid type guy next summer
Even if the financials don't make much sense, you gotta think Cuban is itching to finally get his own Super Team

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - michaeltex - 07-24-2023

(07-23-2023, 08:39 PM)Branduil Wrote: No need for pitchforks, Jason Kidd is more than capable of turning this team around 360 degrees from last year.

Doesn't 360 leave you going in the same direction? Unless you are driving on a roundabout, that is.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - Ghost of Podkolzin - 07-24-2023

IMO, Nowell is just a guy. I play everyday in fanduel fantazy during the season. Nowell shows up on my radar once in a while as a bargain. I don't really see him as anything but end of the bench fodder.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - Ghost of Podkolzin - 07-24-2023

(07-24-2023, 01:07 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Doesn't 360 leave you going in the same direction? Unless you are driving on a roundabout, that is.

His rookie season Kidd was quoted as saying he was going turn the franchise around 360 degrees.  Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.  Cal doesn't have very high academic requirements for their athletes.  A family friend was a safety for Cal, dumb as a box of rocks.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - DallasMaverick - 07-24-2023

(07-24-2023, 01:22 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: His rookie season Kidd was quoted as saying he was going turn the franchise around 360 degrees.  Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.  Cal doesn't have very high academic requirements for their athletes.  A family friend was a safety for Cal, dumb as a box of rocks.

I wonder how a guy goes from one of the smartest ever, to dumb as a box of rocks?

https://hoopshype.com/lists/20-greatest-point-guards-ever-the-hoopshype-list/

(07-24-2023, 01:07 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Doesn't 360 leave you going in the same direction? Unless you are driving on a roundabout, that is.

If you explain the joke, it isn't as funny.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - Scott41theMavs - 07-24-2023

(07-24-2023, 01:55 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: I wonder how a guy goes from one of the smartest ever, to dumb as a box of rocks?

https://hoopshype.com/lists/20-greatest-point-guards-ever-the-hoopshype-list/

Not sure, but we sure did see it play out all last season!  Big Grin

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - omahen - 07-24-2023

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10083770-nba-rumors-pistons-mavs-talked-killian-hayes-trade-det-determined-to-deal-a-guard

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-24-2023

Below is from Stein today.  It basically says the Detroit/Dallas discussion was initiated by Detroit and didn’t go anywhere. 

?””Recent trade talks between Detroit and Dallas, I'm told, were sparked by the Pistons' determination to ease a backcourt logjam by trading Killian Hayes and gained little traction.

While the Mavericks are indeed among the teams with a longstanding interest in acquiring Detroit's Bojan Bogdanović, their trade priority at this point of the offseason is still believed to be an upgrade at center. The Pistons have been seeking no less than a future first-round pick for Bogdanović for months

If one interpreted the original reporting as Dallas having interest, then it meant they weren’t particular about wanting a center.  Taken in this light, that is no longer true and the only real reliable reporting has been about Capela/Ayton (did we ever have a ‘report’ of Dallas interest in PJ Washington, or was this just some message board supposition (I honestly don’t recall)?  If supposition, then we are back to the only things that have been reported on have been actual centers (Ayton and Capela).

Something I struggle with is New Center, Holmes, Powell, Lively is too many bodies (and that is before mentioning Maxi).  I wonder if the next time this comes up is when Holmes can be aggregated?  In either case, Nowell, DJJ, Oubre and the like are just guys to fill the 14th slot (since we’ve presumably have two outgoing players for one returning in any trade for a center and would have to fill the roster back to 14.  I don’t think we will start the season with 15.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - omahen - 07-24-2023

(07-24-2023, 03:10 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Below is from Stein today.  It basically says the Detroit/Dallas discussion was initiated by Detroit and didn’t go anywhere. 

?””Recent trade talks between Detroit and Dallas, I'm told, were sparked by the Pistons' determination to ease a backcourt logjam by trading Killian Hayes and gained little traction.

While the Mavericks are indeed among the teams with a longstanding interest in acquiring Detroit's Bojan Bogdanović, their trade priority at this point of the offseason is still believed to be an upgrade at center. The Pistons have been seeking no less than a future first-round pick for Bogdanović for months

If one interpreted the original reporting as Dallas having interest, then it meant they weren’t particular about wanting a center.  Taken in this light, that is no longer true and the only real reliable reporting has been about Capela/Ayton (did we ever have a ‘report’ of Dallas interest in PJ Washington, or was this just some message board supposition (I honestly don’t recall)?  If supposition, then we are back to the only things that have been reported on have been actual centers (Ayton and Capela).

Something I struggle with is New Center, Holmes, Powell, Lively is too many bodies (and that is before mentioning Maxi).  I wonder if the next time this comes up is when Holmes can be aggregated?  In either case, Nowell, DJJ, Oubre and the like are just guys to fill the 14th slot (since we’ve presumably have two outgoing players for one returning in any trade for a center and would have to fill the roster back to 14.  I don’t think we will start the season with 15.

Stein in one of his chats directly said that PJ Washington is just a twitter thing. Doesn't seem to be any interest on Dallas side.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - Scott41theMavs - 07-24-2023

Even presuming a trade that sends out THJ, why on earth are the Mavs interested in Nowell? Oubre made no sense either. We presumably start three guards if THJ is traded - Kai, Green, and Luka (who is a three or four on defense, depending on the matchup). We have Hardy, Seth, and Exum off the bench. Right now, even with the moves they have made and presuming THJ and McGee aren't part of the future, they still have three glaring needs, imho: 1) another defensive big wing, 2) in the event that they don't trust Holmes, a starting center to bring Lively along developmentally, and 3) if they don't trust Exum, and presuming they don't believe Miles is ready, a third point guard for times that either Luka or Kyrie is injured (neither Seth nor Hardy is a point guard). The second two are provisional as I have stated them. The first is not. It boggles my mind that DJJ is still floating out there and the Mavs haven't pounced yet - he fits our needs close to perfectly at low cost. I assume he's waiting for an unrealistic deal from elsewhere, because there should be zero hesitation from the Mavs to add him at vet minimum. In any event, note that "shooting guard chucker who is poor at defense" is not to be found on my shopping list.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - Jym - 07-24-2023

(07-24-2023, 03:10 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Below is from Stein today.  It basically says the Detroit/Dallas discussion was initiated by Detroit and didn’t go anywhere. 

Yeah Holmes outgoing in any center trade just makes too much sense
And it looks like he'd be eligible for aggregation on September 4th. Which is pretty perfect right before camp. Hopefully can avoid major in-season trades this time

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - F Gump - 07-24-2023

So much of this blather from Minny, on its face, is certainly irrational.
1 Mavs already have a full roster, assuming they intend to carry 14.
2 There's nothing about Nowell that screams "Mavs badly need that guy."
3 Nowell is UFA, and if the Mavs really wanted him, they don't have to involve the Wolves. Just sign him with a minimum, or some of the MLE leftovers.

It's hard to even see how this guy would be trade filler, because MIN doesn't have him on their roster. They would have to create a contract for him, in order to trade it.

So that would take us to the idea that he is not the target, but instead he would be added to a deal so that MIN has enough matching, and that makes sense. The match numbers on a THJ-Anderson swap certainly align with such an idea, as would the idea that both players are fairly decent rotation players whose teams would rather move them. But it's hard to see how that swap fills any particular hole in the rotation for the Mavs.