MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - KillerLeft - 07-20-2023

(07-20-2023, 11:23 PM)F Gump Wrote: I have a problem with the results, and you should too, when they tell us they see the massive hole we see, and tell us it's their top priority to get fixed for next year - and then don't deliver. That's not a Stein problem, it's a Mavs FO problem. 

And it's doubly bad when it's the same issue (the lack of interior defensive presence and rebounding) one year (2021-22 playoffs), then instead of getting it fixed they put a bad band-aid on it (McGee) which of course proves inadequate, then say again after that season they will DEFINITELY get it fixed really well this time --  and again do basically nothing (another band-aid, plus add a kid who won't be that much help at all this year).

It's not PR. It's either an innate inability to tell the truth, or an utter incompetence at doing what is needed. 

And by the way, don't believe the spin that they might have something coming down the road later this summer -- that is a recurring ploy they use when they haven't done the job, we see they haven't, free agency is done, and they want to kick the can down the road on the issue until we hopefully forget. I was looking back and they have been doing this over and over, year after year, when we see the big hole that they failed to address in free agency, and they don't have an answer. Last year they used Cato and Skin to play the game for them (wittingly or unwittingly, I couldn't say), and this year it's Stein and MacMahon.

Dude, I don’t disagree with any of this. And, while I gave into a moment of weakness last week, when it looked like that Siakim trade was going to happen, I was one of the very first on this board to suggest they were done. Took a lot of grief over it for about a week straight. 

I don’t know what to tell you guys. Maybe it’s just a matter of expectations, but mine were low enough that this off-season has exceeded them. I LOVE what they did. I wish they could have done more, but not at the expense of that unprotected ‘27. I just feel like that’s going to be worth so much more later, when combined with other things. It would’ve broken my heart to give that away for somebody terrible like Ayton.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - omahen - 07-20-2023

(07-20-2023, 10:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It just seems like nothing short of three new players, all of whom belong in the top 6 of a playoff rotation, would’ve satisfied you. I never, ever, for even one second thought that was a remotely possible goal for this summer, given what assets they had at hand. Moreover, I don’t think that’s a super common summer for ANY team with ANY level of front office and ANY amount of assets to work with. Maybe OKC could pull that off by spending everything, idk. 

Maybe @dirkfansince98 has a point. Maybe the Mavs PR machine is their own worst enemy, because it seems like all this angst is coming right from what Stein said.

I said before the season that I am done with Mavs if they don't bring two credible starters. Stein and Mavs PR have nothing to do with that. I think a credible starter costs less than one FRP, so lack of assets can't be an excuse. It was their choice not to turn #10 into a starter level player. I think a goal I set is high, but not unrealistic. After years of incompetence, I want more than just more of the same to prove to me it is worth spending my time following Mavs. I know no one cares if I watch Mavs or not. This is just my personal condition. I really don't want to spend my time on anything mediocre. 

As it is, me being intentionally very rough with my words, Mavs brought GW, who I can accept as one starter. Problem is with the rest, as they basically just replaced a bunch of end of bench guys with another bunch of end of bench guys. New guys might be better end of bench guys, they might have more future potential, but they are still just end of bench guys. Exception might be Holmes, if he can revive himself. But I can't just put my rose glasses on and think Holmes, who wasn't good enough for Sacramento, will all of a sudden become valuable contributor. I am affraid core of the team remains the same unit that didn't work last season. For example, I don't think you can come near to respectable defense if you play THJ next to Luka and Kyrie. And THJ will play a lot, if he remains on the team.

But, I am willing to give it a go till TDL, because I did like what they did. Perhaps Green will make another step, Luka will be supernova first half of the season (problem is, we need him to be supernova in playoffs), Luka and Irving will cook together, no one will be significantly injured.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - KillerLeft - 07-20-2023

(07-20-2023, 11:41 PM)omahen Wrote: I said before the season that I am done with Mavs if they don't bring two credible starters. Stein and Mavs PR have nothing to do with that. I think a credible starter costs less than one FRP, so lack of assets can't be an excuse. It was their choice not to turn #10 into a starter level player. I think a goal I set is high, but not unrealistic. After years of incompetence, I want more than just more of the same to prove to me it is worth spending my time following Mavs. I know no one cares if I watch Mavs or not. This is just my personal condition. I really don't want to spend my time on anything mediocre. 

As it is, me being intentionally very rough with my words, Mavs brought GW, who I can accept as one starter. Problem is with the rest, as they basically just replaced a bunch of end of bench guys with another bunch of end of bench guys. New guys might be better end of bench guys, they might have more future potential, but they are still just end of bench guys. Exception might be Holmes, if he can revive himself. But I can't just put my rose glasses on and think Holmes, who wasn't good enough for Sacramento, will all of a sudden become valuable contributor. I am affraid core of the team remains the same unit that didn't work last season. For example, I don't think you can come near to respectable defense if you play THJ next to Luka and Kyrie. And THJ will play a lot, if he remains on the team.

But, I am willing to give it a go till TDL, because I did like what they did. Perhaps Green will make another step, Luka will be supernova first half of the season (problem is, we need him to be supernova in playoffs), Luka and Irving will cook together, no one will be significantly injured.

I hear you, my man. My guess is that they won’t do enough to satisfy you at the trade deadline, either. Hopefully, you will continue to grace us with your presence afterwards.

I feel like I saw all this coming. I knew they were headed towards this dead end since the summer after the bubble. I have been angry for the past two years, so I guess I’m all angried out. 

What I DIDN’T see coming is them changing course, adding FOUR promising players under the age of 25 in just two summers, two of whom they needed to buy draft picks to acquire. You’re right to bring up the Terry/Bey picks, because a lot of us were excited about them, too. I get that part. 

I’m just much more excited about this summer than I would’ve been if they’d paid the cost for Ayton and gotten another free agent, even if it was Williams, who I think will fit like a glove. It’s the chance at multiple appreciating assets that I’m excited about.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - F Gump - 07-21-2023

(07-20-2023, 11:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I wish they could have done more, but not at the expense of that unprotected ‘27. 

I do NOT criticize on still having the 2027 pick for use on a draft pick in 2027, or whatever. That's not a litmus test for me, for them to strip all the assets bare, and I actually think it's a poor way to operate. No matter what they do, there will be needs in the future, and there need to be assets on hand too. In fact, as they did this season, they need to both use some assets in one place, and add some new ones in another.

But I DO criticize that, for the 2nd year in a row, they saw a specific need, told us they would be sure to fix it very well, and then (either due to utter incompetence, or an inability to be honest) they simply didn't do it. I find that inexcusable, and don't think that sort of problem-solving management is how you run a successful business. Nor is it the right way to treat your customers.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - michaeltex - 07-21-2023

Given the limited assets DAL had the last few seasons, mostly stemming from the KP fiasco (and the Luka trade before that), I'm not sure what could have been done to fix the perceived hole at 4/5. I mean two years ago they started with 7 (!) C/PF guys and were basically down to Maxi and DP by the playoffs. I was not very optimistic as the last season was ending this spring, but the mini-tank (and a little ping pong ball luck) kept them in the lottery and some nifty horse trading brought in 3 assets of varying potential to help address the issue. And still left room to sign help for other areas as well, while having the possibility of participating in future opportunities if available.

IMO, the pressure is now on Kidd and his staff to figure out how to best utilize the assets available. Be prepared to feel some frustration through Christmas as their MO seems to be to use the first 25-ish games to see what works best then adjust from there.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - RDB - 07-21-2023

(07-21-2023, 12:25 AM)F Gump Wrote: I do NOT criticize on still having the 2027 pick for use on a draft pick in 2027, or whatever. That's not a litmus test for me, for them to strip all the assets bare, and I actually think it's a poor way to operate. No matter what they do, there will be needs in the future, and there need to be assets on hand too. In fact, as they did this season, they need to both use some assets in one place, and add some new ones in another.

But I DO criticize that, for the 2nd year in a row, they saw a specific need, told us they would be sure to fix it very well, and then (either due to utter incompetence, or an inability to be honest) they simply didn't do it. I find that inexcusable, and don't think that sort of problem-solving management is how you run a successful business. Nor is it the right way to treat your customers.

I share the frustration expressed by both you and Omahen, just likely not as intense.  However, I am curious as to who people wanted to see on the team to “fix it very well”.  Did people want Ayton, Capela, Allen?  Was it a cheaper stab at guys like Bamba?

While it won’t fix the problem this year, they did use their 1st pick on a center.  I have been one of the posters suggesting others should pump the brakes on their expectations for this year.  HOWEVER, I do not share some of the opinions that Lively is a 3 year project.  I believe he will be able to take starter role in year 2, just like J. Allen.  

Maybe I am drinking the Kool-aide on the second year projection but I believe Lively will be Jarrett Allen 2.0.  Frankly, even though I am in favor of integrating him into the lineup slowly, if the Mav’s choose to throw him into the fire, I believe he would have comparable production to year 1 Allen.  Allen started 31 games his rookie year and posted 8.2 pts, 5.4 reb, 1.2 blks on 20 minutes/game.  With Luka and Kyrie, I think he could easily replicate those numbers in the second half.

Bottom line is we talk about how they are either dishonest or incompetent because they said they would address a need and we are not satisfied with the outcome.  However, could it not be argued that the drafting of Lively satisfied that priority?  We are not in the room and privy to their plans but if they project Lively taking a larger role by mid season, would others still be upset that we didn’t bring in a center to “fix it very well”?  If they project (like me) that Lively will be ready year 2, would others still be upset that we chose to avoid an overpay for bridge center?  Looking through a different lens, would folks be satisfied if our center rotation was J. Allen, Powell, Kleber, & Holmes?  If the answer is yes, I would suggest that is what we will have by year 2.  Not year six J. Allen but year two J. Allen (10/8/1.5).

I would have loved to get a short term bridge but not at the expense of Lively’s development.  If the Mav’s believe Lively will be ready to assume the starting role by year 2 and envision him taking a larger role by the 2nd half, I would only be willing provide assets for a center I am comfortable coming off the bench and their skill sets need to be greater than those I get from Powell or Holmes as a backup with backup minutes.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - Reunion Mav - 07-21-2023

Well I see the realistic, critical analytic, closely observant and only cautiously optimistic views have been flowing. Thank you everyone for excellent and informative reading.

My points are about October and beyond when we get to focus on games where we get to see the growth of this team and how individual players are contributing to excellent and winning team play. What we get to do is root very passionately for the team and those players who are best rising to the challenge of their roles on our beloved Mavericks team. Rooting well is very much an exercise in conveying positivity to the team and the individual players. In October we get to do that again. Now is indeed the season for our initial excitement over some good acquisitions and now some critical analysis.

We have a larger number of guys now who we can root for. From Luka and Kyrie on down how well guys rise to their challenge will determine how we do. I am really looking forward to watching closely while rooting passionately.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - SleepingHero - 07-21-2023

https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1682396955580792840?s=20

MFFL (@Mavs_FFL)
Report: Rudy Gay is expected to draw interest from the Mavs, per @MikeAScotto……..
[Image: F1kTHRWX0AAKdNr?format=jpg&name=medium]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - Reunion Mav - 07-21-2023

How old is he and what could he bring for how much?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - Mavs2021 - 07-21-2023

(07-21-2023, 10:34 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1682396955580792840?s=20

MFFL (@Mavs_FFL)
Report: Rudy Gay is expected to draw interest from the Mavs, per @MikeAScotto……..
[Image: F1kTHRWX0AAKdNr?format=jpg&name=medium]

I was worried Mavs would lose their season tickets for the Jacksonville Jaguars, but there is a new pensioner to keep their retirement home status. Wink

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - The Jom - 07-21-2023

Tough crowd here.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - SleepingHero - 07-21-2023

(07-21-2023, 10:41 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: How old is he and what could he bring for how much?

He's 37 and it would very likely be for the vet min.

I don't see what role he'd fill here though.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - mvossman - 07-21-2023

(07-21-2023, 10:57 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: He's 37 and it would very likely be for the vet min.

Makes no sense.  He fell off a cliff last season i(including shooting 26% from 3) which is not surprising given his age.  There is a 26 year old still out there that you could probably get without going into tax and would provide actual value at the 3.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - KillerLeft - 07-21-2023

(07-21-2023, 10:57 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't see what role he'd fill here though.

Here’s that other new starter everyone wanted!!!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - Reunion Mav - 07-21-2023

(07-21-2023, 10:57 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: He's 37 and it would very likely be for the vet min.

I was hoping he wasn’t that old guy I remember. Oh well. Probably just an agent hoping he can create interest.

https://twitter.com/noahweber00/status/1682375144143044609?s=20

Noah Weber (@noahweber00)
Grant Williams listed Devin Booker as the one player that always talks trash to him.

“I think that actually helps because we’re in Dallas now, and Phoenix and him and Luka already have this little beef going. I might be able to join in on some competitive vibes.”

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - SweetFidelia - 07-21-2023

(07-21-2023, 10:03 AM)RDB Wrote: Maybe I am drinking the Kool-aide on the second year projection but I believe Lively will be Jarrett Allen 2.0.  Frankly, even though I am in favor of integrating him into the lineup slowly, if the Mav’s choose to throw him into the fire, I believe he would have comparable production to year 1 Allen.  Allen started 31 games his rookie year and posted 8.2 pts, 5.4 reb, 1.2 blks on 20 minutes/game.  With Luka and Kyrie, I think he could easily replicate those numbers in the second half.

I agree the Mavs approach will be to work Lively in slowly.  Note Allen didn't start until game #51 for a team that went 31-51.  The Nets were rolling with Mozgov and Zeller for the most part and working Allen in.  He was averaging about 17 minutes a game coming off the bench for a bad team.  The Nets traded Zeller, and Mozgov was taken on a snipe hunt and was never seen again--clearing the way for Allen to start.  The Nets had nothing to lose.  The Mavs have a ton to lose in my my mind, so 17 minutes for Lively seems like a lot right now.  I'd predict Holmes and Powell get around 35 minutes combined.  Kleber may be the closer for around 5 minutes in Q4 with and additional 15 minutes sprinkled here and there at the 4 and 5.  That doesn't leave much for Lively.  (And, I am still really bullish on Holmes after a deep dive into the 21-22 season.)

I was steadfast in opposition to Lively pre-draft, but I was won over by interviews and articles post-draft and the effort and energy I saw in Summer League.  I am confident he will work his tail off and make it harder and harder for Kidd to keep him sidelined.  Pour me a glass of that Kool-aide, RDB!

@MavsFilmRoom
@TheSteinLine was asked in his Substack chat if the Mavericks were blindsided by Bryan Gates leaving to Philadelphia?

His answer: “Absolutely not and I'm frankly stunned at the reaction to this one. Gates was hired to be the Mavs' fourth assistant ... BEHIND the bench. Philly called because they had an ON THE BENCH spot for Gates. You don't deny a person a promotion. So the Mavs let Gates out of his deal to take the Philly spot.”

Mavs Twitter went feral that Gates left for Philly, even though he was just a footnote of the offseason. Pretty sure the Mavs already hired their 2 replacements to be on the bench for Kidd.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may be interested in Gay? - Mavs2021 - 07-21-2023

(07-21-2023, 03:21 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @MavsFilmRoom
@TheSteinLine was asked in his Substack chat if the Mavericks were blindsided by Bryan Gates leaving to Philadelphia?

His answer: “Absolutely not and I'm frankly stunned at the reaction to this one. Gates was hired to be the Mavs' fourth assistant ... BEHIND the bench. Philly called because they had an ON THE BENCH spot for Gates. You don't deny a person a promotion. So the Mavs let Gates out of his deal to take the Philly spot.”

Mavs Twitter went feral that Gates left for Philly, even though he was just a footnote of the offseason. Pretty sure the Mavs already hired their 2 replacements to be on the bench for Kidd.

My general feeling about Cuban is that he´s still very stingy with his money. We have seen if for the last decade with the roster, but also the leaking roof that must be celebrating his 18th birthday soon. The training facilities seem old and worn down, while other franchises invest into state of the art buildings. 

I laughed my a** off recently, when somebody did a HT shots video, and buried the Mavs as the cheapest bastards. Other teams give you 10k for a halfcourt shot. Mavs make you hit a lay-up, a free throw, a three point shot and a half court shot and then give you a flatscreen TV.  Confused

And it´s probably the same with assistants and even GMs. I doubt that it is just about control and power. Cuban simply doesn´t want to pay a Masai Ujiri or Nick Nurse their open market salaries.  Sure he paid Carlisle, but you could argue that saved him millions, cause he carried the annual shitshow to a first round exit worth a few extra millions, when an average coach would have won 28-32 games.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - RDB - 07-21-2023

(07-21-2023, 12:56 PM)SweetFidelia Wrote: I agree the Mavs approach will be to work Lively in slowly.  Note Allen didn't start until game #51 for a team that went 31-51.  The Nets were rolling with Mozgov and Zeller for the most part and working Allen in.  He was averaging about 17 minutes a game coming off the bench for a bad team.  The Nets traded Zeller, and Mozgov was taken on a snipe hunt and was never seen again--clearing the way for Allen to start.  The Nets had nothing to lose.  The Mavs have a ton to lose in my my mind, so 17 minutes for Lively seems like a lot right now.  I'd predict Holmes and Powell get around 35 minutes combined.  Kleber may be the closer for around 5 minutes in Q4 with and additional 15 minutes sprinkled here and there at the 4 and 5.  That doesn't leave much for Lively.  (And, I am still really bullish on Holmes after a deep dive into the 21-22 season.)

I was steadfast in opposition to Lively pre-draft, but I was won over by interviews and articles post-draft and the effort and energy I saw in Summer League.  I am confident he will work his tail off and make it harder and harder for Kidd to keep him sidelined.  Pour me a glass of that Kool-aide, RDB!

Good post and I don’t disagree with anything you said.  I, like you, have been urging caution on year 1 Lively projections.  

Bottom line for me is we are not 1 center away from being a legitimate contender this year.  We can spend our few assets on whatever center we can find and hope the outlier bubble Mav’s make an appearance.  Personally, with the flaws exposed last year, I think that is a pipe dream.

If the Mav’s think they are a center away, by all means trade for someone.  If they are realistic, then what is the point of using what little they have for a bridge player.  Unless they are already convinced Lively is not a long term solution or is years away, it seems to me the only thing they potentially lose is a seed or two.  Personally, I’m not a big believer in moral victories.

On the other hand, if he is ready year two, we will spend all off-season complaining about how the Mav’s don’t have any assets and wasted what they had on bench players.  IMO, we should be picky and not settle.  I love rags to riches stories as much as the next guy but I’m not mortgaging our future flexibility on hopes & dreams.

p.s.  I’m not suggesting plan powder.  I am suggesting creating a vision for where you want to be and sticking to that plan.