MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - dirkfansince1998 - 07-20-2023

(07-20-2023, 04:35 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: People seem to be missing that Holmes was benched for off-court and coaching style reasons. It's no stretch to presume he hasn't lost much in the last two seasons. He's 29, not 34. 

Speaking of "stretch," anyone for Mirotic?

As long as his salary fits under the tax line. Still a good player. Easily rotation level in the NBA. Not like Barcelona terminated his contract for on court reasons. They just cannot afford to pay him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - KillerLeft - 07-20-2023

(07-20-2023, 04:35 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: People seem to be missing that Holmes was benched for off-court and coaching style reasons. It's no stretch to presume he hasn't lost much in the last two seasons. He's 29, not 34. 

Sure, there were some off-court things that contributed, and that's the hope: now that all of that is behind him, will focusing on basketball more singularly put a little wind in his sails? Right there with you. 

But it's not only that. It's not that simple. He lost his job to Alex freaking Len. Coaching style? Idk, man, I bet SAC would've LOVED being able to run pick and roll with Holmes while Sabots sat. There was something he was missing on-court, at least from their perspective, that made him unplayable.

And, do we honestly think that completely giving up their first round pick in the draft was their first attempt to move his salary? That's a HIGH cost for such a move. To me, that screams that other teams wouldn't take the guy. 

Idk, I can certainly buy the idea that he has something left and that a change of scenery and a chance to run pick and roll with Luka and Kyrie will do him some good. I have no trouble getting there in a hopeful sense. It just seems silly to me to assume it's going to work out that way.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - DallasMaverick - 07-20-2023

(07-20-2023, 05:07 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Sure, there were some off-court things that contributed, and that's the hope: now that all of that is behind him, will focusing on basketball more singularly put a little wind in his sails? Right there with you. 

But it's not only that. It's not that simple. He lost his job to Alex freaking Len. Coaching style? Idk, man, I bet SAC would've LOVED being able to run pick and roll with Holmes while Sabots sat. There was something he was missing on-court, at least from their perspective, that made him unplayable.

And, do we honestly think that completely giving up their first round pick in the draft was their first attempt to move his salary? That's a HIGH cost for such a move. To me, that screams that other teams wouldn't take the guy. 

Idk, I can certainly buy the idea that he has something left and that a change of scenery and a chance to run pick and roll with Luka and Kyrie will do him some good. I have no trouble getting there in a hopeful sense. It just seems silly to me to assume it's going to work out that way.

I think the Mavs’ hopes were high when they signed McGee. A guy with athleticism, ability to protect the rim and get rebounds. But as the season began, it became clear that his other defensive skills had significantly eroded. Turns out that being able to move your feet laterally, and stay in front of your man is actually much more important than being able to lurk around the hoop and grab rebounds.

So suddenly, Powell didn’t look so bad anymore. And he got his job back.

So, what does this mean for this season?

1. Saved $8m on Powell’s salary. Not quite GWill money, but pretty good.
2. Took on Holmes negative contract in order to get OMax. Maybe Holmes is a complete bust. But maybe he’s serviceable.
3. I used to think their plan was to start Holmes, but now I’m leaning back towards Powell. I think they regret the way they dealt with McGee, and then had to backpedal to starting Powell.  More likely they start Powell, and if Holmes produces in the backup role, give him increasing minutes until they make the swap. There’s no risk that Powell gets offended or ego-bruised by a demotion. He’s not that kind of guy.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - omahen - 07-20-2023

(07-20-2023, 04:46 PM)RDB Wrote: IMO, not achieving an off-season goal does not equate to failure.  I like the effort but it’s not like we had much to work with.  I am super pleased with what we have done and am way more optimistic for the future. 

Unlike some here, I think we are more than 1 Capela away from being legit.  I would love to upgrade at C but please, please, please, don’t do something stupid.  IMO, if we stand pat, those who consider this off-season a failure are those who had unrealistic expectations.  Anyone with any clarity should have known it was going to take more than 1 off-season to fix our mess.

As far as Holmes, I am willing to discount last year as I think he just didn’t fit what the Kings were trying to do.  Is he the answer for the Mav’s…no.  But it’s not like Powell has set some high bar offensively or defensively.  I think Powell and Holmes will end up being 1A and 1B.  Holmes will provide some on the court production that Powell can’t but will not match some of his intangibles.  And I’m fine with that…just show me some solid progression and a vision for the future and I’m giddy.

I demand more from Mavs exactly because of all years of failure. Because only excellent work will undo all the mistakes since drafting Luka. That is why I am so much more critical of every missed opportunity. They are extremely costly for Mavs. And I have heard "sometimes the best deal is the one you don't do" mantra just too many times in last 5 years. Because at one point, you actually have to make it. You have to bring in those players. Because perhaps spending assets for 6th or 7th best types playing 3rd or 4th best role might be even more expensive than actually bringing a guy that can play the role. Even if he seems expensive.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - KillerLeft - 07-20-2023

(07-20-2023, 08:10 PM)omahen Wrote: I demand more from Mavs exactly because of all years of failure. Because only excellent work will undo all the mistakes since drafting Luka. That is why I am so much more critical of every missed opportunity. They are extremely costly for Mavs. And I have heard "sometimes the best deal is the one you don't do" mantra just too many times in last 5 years. Because at one point, you actually have to make it. You have to bring in those players. Because perhaps spending assets for 6th or 7th best types playing 3rd or 4th best role might be even more expensive than actually bringing a guy that can play the role. Even if he seems expensive.

I don’t disagree with the standard. I just think the whole situation was FUBAR, and there was simply no way to “undo it” as you say. 

I think they did some excellent work this summer, and it went farther than I expected in terms of untangling the mess, to put themselves in a better position sooner, rather than later. 

Yes, absolutely, they have failed abysmally since drafting Luka. We’ve been over and over and over each and every misstep ad nauseam. I don’t think many are intending to let them off the hook, but it seems to me like they’ve at least started making smart moves. That’s a start, right?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - omahen - 07-20-2023

(07-20-2023, 08:42 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That’s a start, right?

For me it is not enough to let them of the hook. Not even close Smile THey will have to be far better to get a recognition, I am not giving away medals for trying Smile

(07-20-2023, 09:04 PM)omahen Wrote: For me it is not enough to let them of the hook. Not even close Smile

Right. Me, either, and I said as much. 

I’m just happy they didn’t move in the wrong direction AGAIN.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - Chicagojk - 07-20-2023

https://youtu.be/UcLOUNl75Xo

3 thoughts

1) cool video

2) how cool would it be if Green made another jump this year? Does he have another jump?

3) no excuse with the players mavs have not to play at a faster pace.

(07-20-2023, 09:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Right. Me, either, and I said as much. 

I’m just happy they didn’t move in the wrong direction AGAIN.

But which moves were moves in the wrong direction? I don't think they were necessarily making moves in a wrong direction. Their problem for 5 years was that they had really no direction. Wanting to be contenders, but not puting everything in to be one. Not tanking or developing on the other hand. They were also failing at what they actually wanted to do. They thought KP is the right piece next to Luka, they failed. They didn't want to let Brunson go, they failed. They didn't want 2020 rookies to not succeed, other than Green (to an extent) they failed. They wanted to sign complementary low level stars like Kemba and Lowry, but failed. I don't remember them spending cash to buy a SRP or correct some of the mistakes. Missed a bunch of opportunities like not getting value for cap space twice. Other than throwing 2nd rounders around like candy, they didn't trade draft capital. Always keeping the powder dry for that next star, which is the strategy that I do hold against them. 

I don't think anything is much different in a big picture. What is their direction? They brought Kyrie in, which is a short term move. Than they did a bunch of long term moves. So when those long term moves will be ready, Kyrie will be worse or gone. Failed to bring the good complementary pieces. Even if one believes Green and GW are credible starters, we all know they have huge hole on the C position. Still have plenty of players that don't fit the need. 

I said many times. I am fine with those moves they made. I hope all kids they have will become good players. What I firmly believe is missing, is a couple of complementary players to bridge the gap between now and the time the kids are ready. And I consider this part a failure. And if I quote Stein - THEY know they have not done enough.

(07-20-2023, 09:24 PM)omahen Wrote: But which moves were moves in the wrong direction? I don't think they were necessarily making moves in a wrong direction. Their problem for 5 years was that they have really no direction. Wanting to be contenders, but not puting everything in to be one. Not tanking or developing on the other hand. They were also failing at what they actually wanted to do. They thought KP is the right piece next to Luka, they failed. They didn't want to let Brunson go, they failed. They didn't want 2020 rookies to not succeed, other than Green (to an extent) they failed. They wanted to sign complementary low level stars like Kemba and Lowry, but failed. I don't remember them spending cash to buy a SRP or correct some of the mistakes. Missed a bunch of opportunities like not getting value for cap space twice. Other than throwing 2nd rounders around like candy, they didn't trade draft capital. Always keeping the powder dry for that next star, which is the strategy that I do hold against them. 

I don't think anything is much different in a big picture. What is their direction? They brought Kyrie in, which is a short term move. Than they did a bunch of long term moves. So when those long term moves will be ready, Kyrie will be worse or gone. Failed to bring the good complementary pieces. Even if one believes Green and GW are credible starters, we all know they have huge hole on the C position. Still have plenty of players that don't fit the need. 

I said many times. I am fine with those moves they made. I hope all kids they have will become good players. What I firmly believe is missing, is a couple of complementary players to bridge the gap between now and the time the kids are ready. And I consider this part a failure. And if I quote Stein - THEY know they have not done enough.

I don’t see it as a success or failure based on all moves being EITHER win now OR long term. I think Kyrie could be moved pretty easily to add pieces and capital for the long term plan, or, if things go better than expected soon, some of the long term assets they added could be used to get more win now guys. What they’ve done is turned a complete lack of attractive assets into a pile of them really quickly. That seems like a plan, to me, and they’re not painted into an inflexible corner the way it’s felt like they were the past couple of years. They’re giving themselves real options, which I don’t personally think they’ve had since that awful Porzingis disaster.

And, this next point isn’t really a defense of anything we’re discussing, but this is the first summer I’ve felt was actually different since the big GM shakeup. Idk if it’s Lindsey, just that Harrison and Finley are finally finding their sea legs, or just an aimless, flash-in-the-pan abnormal summer, but it has me intrigued enough to want to watch what happens next. This might be a little lost on you since you joined us when Luka did, but the playbook they ran for the first 3-4 years of his career was pretty similar to what they’d been doing since Cuban bought the team. Trust me, this is DIFFERENT for the Mavs. 

I know it’s frustrating that they’re having to dig themselves out of a hole so deep, but I honestly believe this will prove to be a good summer, not only for the team, but for Luka’s career, too. Finally, I can imagine them being out there with a 25-27 year old Luka, loads of people wanting to play with him, and the assets to actually acquire them.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - myconsumerclub - 07-20-2023

Lively looked like the future starter we need but another real center to cover 15 or 20 minutes is worth looking into.

I was wanting Yurtseven but he got signed by UTA.

Azabuike may be available he played for Bostons SL team and stats showed he was okay in that role so maybe we could get him for a vet min deal. His rebound rate is exceptional and he has the bulk to bang when matchups with other bigs that have bulk could pose issues for our other centers.

For 10 minutes a night he might allow us to rest guys that need to have their minutes managed so that they are there come play off time.

Powell IMHO is behind Holmes and Kleber at the 5 and if there is a need for a big that is 7' plus due to match up reasons then sticking McGee in there for 5 to 10 minutes is an acceptable risk as far as I am concerned. You stick Holmes in there for 10 and play him another 10 at PF next to a guy like Lively and that to me is a nice look to think about.

Maybe we see minutes getting split up like this

Center
Lively 20
Holmes 10
Kleber 10
Powell 5
McGee 3

PF
OMax 20
Kleber 10
Holmes 10
GW 8

SF
GW 20
Green 20
Exum 8
THJ?
Luka?

(07-20-2023, 09:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don’t see it as a success or failure based on all moves being EITHER win now OR long term. I think Kyrie could be moved pretty easily to add pieces and capital for the long term plan, or, if things go better than expected soon, some of the long term assets they added could be used to get more win now guys. What they’ve done is turned a complete lack of attractive assets into a pile of them really quickly. That seems like a plan, to me, and they’re not painted into an inflexible corner the way it’s felt like they were the past couple of years. They’re giving themselves real options, which I don’t personally think they’ve had since that awful Porzingis disaster.

And, this next point isn’t really a defense of anything we’re discussing, but this is the first summer I’ve felt was actually different since the big GM shakeup. Idk if it’s Lindsey, just that Harrison and Finley are finally finding their sea legs, or just an aimless, flash-in-the-pan abnormal summer, but it has me intrigued enough to want to watch what happens next. This might be a little lost on you since you joined us when Luka did, but the playbook they ran for the first 3-4 years of his career was pretty similar to what they’d been doing since Cuban bought the team. Trust me, this is DIFFERENT for the Mavs. 

I know it’s frustrating that they’re having to dig themselves out of a hole so deep, but I honestly believe this will prove to be a good summer, not only for the team, but for Luka’s career, too. Finally, I can imagine them being out there with a 25-27 year old Luka, loads of people wanting to play with him, and the assets to actually acquire them.

I understand your point. Again, I also liked the moves and some creativity we not necessarily saw before. But, I think you are missing a scenario, what if things don't look good at TDL. What if Mavs suck similarly to last season, because they are just not good enough. That scenario changes a lot of things and puts you in a very different position. Unfortunately, I think the probability of that scenario to happen is not neglectable. 

I am not sure about the first paragraph. #10 pick was an asset. Lively and Omax will become assets, when (if) they prove they are contributors. The idea of what they could become is not enough. Unless they really surprise us, we are realistically speaking at least a year or two before they become assets. GW will prove he is an asset when (if) he proves he can be a credible starter. Green will likely not be an asset anymore, as soon as he signs his new deal. Kyrie will have value if he plays reasonably well and doesn't create problems. But that is a big gamble, as he is getting old, is quite injury prone and not really mister sanity. If the result will not be there (lets say similar as last season), the players value will not increase. 

I think they had a lot of options since KP trade. Max cap space twice, draft assets,.. They just failed at everything. I remember clearly the enthusiasm after the Green draft. Mavs brought in 4 rookies (Green, two high SRP and non-drafted guy). Traded offense for defense (Seth for Richardson) and gained a pick doing it. But then reality struck. JRich didn't fit, rookies mostly didn't succeed. What looked like an awesome summer is now remembered as a big failure. 

Sure, they could start the season to see where they are and act later. But correcting mistakes later will be more costly, as Mavs will be even more desperate. Basically the only big picture dilemma we have is, should they trade the 2027 pick or not. Because lets not fool ourselves, THJ, McGee and Holmes will not bring back players we would be satisfied with. My expectation to be satisfied is for them to trade the 2027 pick for 2 RIGHT players. One starter and one rotation guy. I don't think that impacts their flexibility much, as there are always new picks to trade or keep (24 or 25 and 31 will be available next summer). But, it makes it far more likely that next season will be a much better one and far less likely, that it will suck. Stop with keeping the powder dry nonsense. Mavs don't need a star that costs 3 FRP. Mavs need correct role players that cost less than one unprotected FRP. 

I have thrown around many ideas about different moves and I am sure there are plenty more possible combinations. I don't really care about the difficulties, obstacles, negotiations etc. I know it is not easy. I expect a good FO to make it happen.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - RDB - 07-20-2023

(07-20-2023, 08:10 PM)omahen Wrote: I demand more from Mavs exactly because of all years of failure. Because only excellent work will undo all the mistakes since drafting Luka. That is why I am so much more critical of every missed opportunity. They are extremely costly for Mavs. And I have heard "sometimes the best deal is the one you don't do" mantra just too many times in last 5 years. Because at one point, you actually have to make it. You have to bring in those players. Because perhaps spending assets for 6th or 7th best types playing 3rd or 4th best role might be even more expensive than actually bringing a guy that can play the role. Even if he seems expensive.

I’m not suggesting what the demands of others should be.  People should feel free to be as critical as they want.  I’m only sharing my mindset and I am cautiously optimistic that someone may have finally seen the light.

As KL said, we can’t change the past…it is what it is.  Hopefully even the most critical among us can agree that change has to start somewhere and I feel like we have witnessed the beginnings of that this off-season.  Who knows if it will continue…time will tell.  But I do like what seems to be a renewed focus on the value of defense and youth and positive assets.

Just go back to the weeks before free agency and look at the comments on everything from giving up their pick or Kyrie’s contract or a whole host of other pessimistic expectations. And IMO, that pessimism was justified based on history.  However, in hindsight, very few if any of those fears came to fruition.  Heck, not only did they not give up their pick, they got a second one and still got their preferred player.  What they did or didn’t do relative to the draft in previous years is history and only relevant to the lessons that can be learned.

The Mav’s are like the drunk uncle who finally got his first chip.  I just choose not to criticize him because it took him too long but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t expectations moving forward.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - F Gump - 07-20-2023

(07-20-2023, 09:24 PM)omahen Wrote: 1 But which moves were moves in the wrong direction? I don't think they were necessarily making moves in a wrong direction.

2 Their problem for 5 years was that they had really no direction. Wanting to be contenders, but not putting everything in to be one.

3 Not tanking or developing on the other hand.

1-2 I think those sentences accurately summarize your whole post, and I disagree with both.That is, I think they did have a defined direction, but I think they failed in doing it properly.

1-2 I think their goal was to get 2 stars who could complement each other and build around. Luka was the 1st. Where they failed was thinking KP would be the 2nd, and by going all-in on him, that was their wrong direction move. They thought they were getting Anthony Davis 2.0, and instead they got a KD wanna-be who was extra tall for a shooter, but not an elite shot, and not interested in dominating in the middle. And brittle. Their analysis and evaluation was a total fail, in their over-eagerness to get the 2nd star.

IMO They certainly had a plan, and were all-in. But their lack of proper evaluation killed them.

In that same vein, I think the Kyrie acquisition was the next stab at the same plan. I don't think he was brought in to be a short-term band-aid, but instead they simply see him as the 2nd star they need, with the intention to make it work well and to ride it out as long as possible. In time we'll see if they did better this go-round than with KP.

3 Tanking and development?

The fact that they (wrongly) thought they had their 2 stars kept them from tanking. They spent picks on who they thought was the 2nd star. And I do think they tanked more this year than anyone knew, so they get some credit for that from me -- but they really cut it tight, in keeping the pick, which I thought was dumb because it was so needless.

But it doesn't excuse the fact they failed to develop at the bottom of the roster, and have an expert development team to make things happen. Those were several wasted years they can never get back. And they never got a talent expert and negotiator until this year, which was inexcusable as there's no cap on hiring experts.

(07-20-2023, 10:15 PM)omahen Wrote: I have thrown around many ideas about different moves and I am sure there are plenty more possible combinations. I don't really care about the difficulties, obstacles, negotiations etc. I know it is not easy. I expect a good FO to make it happen.

No argument there, and whether they had more options than I think did or fewer, the situation they’re in is of their own making. I’m not here to defend what they’ve done with the first part of Luka’s career, just to say that I’m on board with what they’ve done this summer. It’s cool if you disagree.

I was on the verge of giving up on them after like 25 years of fandom. Not sure everything they did will work out as I hope, but they have my attention again. That’s all.

(07-20-2023, 10:17 PM)F Gump Wrote: 1-2 I think those sentences accurately summarize your whole post, and I disagree with both.That is, I think they did have a defined direction, but I think they failed in doing it properly.

1-2 I think their goal was to get 2 stars who could complement each other and build around. Luka was the 1st. Where they failed was thinking KP would be the 2nd, and by going all-in on him, that was their wrong direction move. They thought they were getting Anthony Davis 2.0, and instead they got a KD wanna-be who was extra tall for a shooter, but not an elite shot, and not interested in dominating in the middle. And brittle. Their analysis and evaluation was a total fail, in their over-eagerness to get the 2nd star.

IMO They certainly had a plan, and were all-in. But their lack of proper evaluation killed them.

In that same vein, I think the Kyrie acquisition was the next stab at the same plan. I don't think he was brought in to be a short-term band-aid, but instead they simply see him as the 2nd star they need, with the intention to make it work well and to ride it out as long as possible. In time we'll see if they did better this go-round than with KP.

3 Tanking and development?

The fact that they (wrongly) thought they had their 2 stars kept them from tanking. They spent picks on who they thought was the 2nd star. And I do think they tanked more this year than anyone knew, so they get some credit for that from me -- but they really cut it tight, in keeping the pick, which I thought was dumb because it was so needless.

But it doesn't excuse the fact they failed to develop at the bottom of the roster, and have an expert development team to make things happen. Those were several wasted years they can never get back. And they never got a talent expert and negotiator until this year, which was inexcusable as there's no cap on hiring experts.

Agree with the part about the general plan and them failing it. Also agree with the Irving part. A lot of us thought KP is ideal partner to play with Luka. I was personally very surprised by the outcome, I remembered KP as a very different player before coming to Mavs. I think very few of us think that Irving is a right star next to Luka. I mean, they let Brunson walk, because they thought that a small PG that is not great on defense is not an ideal partner next to Luka to break a bank on. I hope we are all wrong now.

I don't agree they were all in on the plan. So many missed opportunities. They could have go far beyond the salary cap in the summer after KP trade because of his low cap hold, but didn't. Just one example, many more. I don't think it is just about failing to do so. It is also about saving money, as you also said in your last paragraph. I mentioned, I don't remember them spending cash for SRP or correcting their mistakes, it was always SRP. I didn't get an impression that they are willing to do everything it takes to win. 

Even this season it seems, they will go below the lux tax. Who knows, perhaps that was a general direction they have to go to. Cuban said last season that tax is not a problem, because it will only be for one season. And if that is true, how many opportunities were perhaps missed?

As for FO, I was certainly one of the loudest expressing doubts about Nico hiring. Mavs lost 2 seasons with him learning the job. Unfortunately, totally predictable outcome that Mavs should be aware of and take measures to limit those risks. Perfect analogy for the risks I fear in this coming seasons and the counter measures that could be taken to mitigate those risks.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - RDB - 07-20-2023

(07-20-2023, 10:15 PM)omahen Wrote: But, I think you are missing a scenario, what if things don't look good at TDL. What if Mavs suck similarly to last season, because they are just not good enough. That scenario changes a lot of things and puts you in a very different position. Unfortunately, I think the probability of that scenario to happen is not neglectable.

I think it depends on how you define “good enough”.  Good enough to me is legitimate contenders and there is nothing we can do today or on day 1 of FA that was going to get us there.  Outside of Luka and Kyrie, I’m not sure any of our other player would start for a playoff team in the west last year.  We were too flawed with nothing but a handful of beans to barter with.  

Let’s not repeat past mistakes by thinking we are just one tweak away from contention…IMO, we are not.  We are finally gathering a few assets and maybe for once, we will be able to bargain from a position of strength.  Piss those assets away on hopes and dreams just continues the cycle.  Just my opinion.

(07-20-2023, 10:45 PM)RDB Wrote: I think it depends on how you define “good enough”.  Good enough to me is legitimate contenders and there is nothing we can do today or on day 1 of FA that was going to get us there.  Outside of Luka and Kyrie, I’m not sure any of our other player would start for a playoff team in the west last year.  We were too flawed with nothing but a handful of beans to barter with.  

Let’s not repeat past mistakes by thinking we are just one tweak away from contention…IMO, we are not.  We are finally gathering a few assets and maybe for once, we will be able to bargain from a position of strength.  Piss those assets away on hopes and dreams just continues the cycle.  Just my opinion.

Here we don't agree. I don't think it is that costly to bring correct role players. They have done a very good first part of the job, but failed to finish properly.

(07-20-2023, 10:50 PM)omahen Wrote: Here we don't agree. I don't think it is that costly to bring correct role players. They have done a very good first part of the job, but failed to finish properly.

It just seems like nothing short of three new players, all of whom belong in the top 6 of a playoff rotation, would’ve satisfied you. I never, ever, for even one second thought that was a remotely possible goal for this summer, given what assets they had at hand. Moreover, I don’t think that’s a super common summer for ANY team with ANY level of front office and ANY amount of assets to work with. Maybe OKC could pull that off by spending everything, idk. 

Maybe @dirkfansince98 has a point. Maybe the Mavs PR machine is their own worst enemy, because it seems like all this angst is coming right from what Stein said.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs assistant Gates heads to PHI for a significant promotion - F Gump - 07-20-2023

(07-20-2023, 10:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Maybe the Mavs PR machine is their own worst enemy, because it seems like all this angst is coming right from what Stein said.

I have a problem with the results, and you should too, when they tell us they see the massive hole we see, and tell us it's their top priority to get fixed for next year - and then don't deliver. That's not a Stein problem, it's a Mavs FO problem. 

And it's doubly bad when it's the same issue (the lack of interior defensive presence and rebounding). It starts to be very apparent one year (2021-22 playoffs), then they see it and say it's their top priority and they will certainly get it fixed, and then instead of getting it fixed they put a bad band-aid on it (McGee) which of course proves inadequate, then say again after that ensuing season (2022-23) they will DEFINITELY get it fixed really well this time --  and again do basically nothing (another band-aid, plus add a kid who won't be that much help at all this year).

It's not PR. It's either an innate inability to tell the truth, or an utter incompetence at doing what is needed. 

And by the way, don't believe the spin that they might have something coming down the road later this summer -- that is a recurring ploy they use when they haven't done the job, we see they haven't, free agency is done, and they want to kick the can down the road on the issue until we hopefully forget. I was looking back and they have been doing this over and over, year after year, when we see the big hole that they failed to address in free agency, and they don't have an answer. Last year they used Cato and Skin to play the game for them (wittingly or unwittingly, I couldn't say), and this year it's Stein and MacMahon.