MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start - Kammrath - 07-09-2022

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1545976379648491520

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-10-2022

(07-09-2022, 10:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1545976379648491520

Why would they do the Mavs a favor and give them something,  because they lost Brunson for nothing?  Waiving Taj Gibson was the icing on the cake.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start - Chicagojk - 07-10-2022

I have limited interest in the TPE if the Mavs have nothing lined up.  But it would be better than nothing, I guess.  I would look forward for months of talk here who will fit into our TPE only to see it go unused Smile

Front offices typically play well with each other in these situations.    Sure, one team is always using leverage if they have it, but you typically do not burn bridges for something so minor.   The Knicks have our first round pick, so maybe that is playing a factor in this as well.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start - ItsGoTime - 07-10-2022

(07-10-2022, 08:38 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: The Knicks have our first round pick, so maybe that is playing a factor in this as well.
OMG please let it be true, please let it be true, it’s not true is it?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start - DallasMaverick - 07-10-2022

(07-09-2022, 10:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1545976379648491520

I'll bet the Mavs wouldn't agree to not pursuing a grievance for tampering.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start - MrGoat - 07-10-2022

(07-10-2022, 08:40 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: OMG please let it be true, please let it be true, it’s not true is it?

Let's just say I don't see the Knicks paying us a first round pick to prevent the NBA from taking a second round pick from them

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start - DanSchwartzgan - 07-11-2022

82Games is starting to put out some new stuff.  One such page is a Sortable 'Team Won-Lost Page'.  So, while all the Negative Nancy's continue to Nancy, let me pump a little sunshine:

As we may remember, Dallas finished with the 5th best record in the league (one win behind GSW and one ahead of Boston).  This wasn't since January 1st or anything like that.  If was the entire season including KP and Luka missing games, Bullock's shot missing the first half of the season and Maxi's going MIA the second half of the season.  It was with the team tinkering with lineups for two plus months before starting to figure things out in January.  People forget that Brunson didn't start next to Luka until January and the winning that ensued came with Powell and Maxi starting next to Luka, DFS and Brunson.  KP started with the Luka/Brunson combo for only 8 games before being traded and the DP/DFS/RB/Brunson/Luka lineup did start together until 2/4 (and proceeded to win 8 of 9).

In other words, we were a hot mess until calendar 2022 and still had the 5th best record in the league and the following:

We were 2nd in percentage of wins in games we had a 10 point lead at 85% (basically, get up by 10 and it is over).  AND 10 point leads happened 48 times or almost 60% of our games (remember, we were a hot mess until the beginning of 2022).  Only two teams, Phoenix and Memphis, won games with 10 point leads more times.  So percentage of wins 2nd and the number of times it happened third.  

We were also 2nd in the winning percentage where we trailed by 10 or more at some point in the game.  We won 17 of those games, tied for best in the league, again while tying on arm behind our back for the first half of the season.  So percentage of wins 2nd and the number of times it happened tied for first.

We were 7th in winning percentage in close games.  Seemingly, we won them all in the second half of the season and none in the first half, but 82 games doesn't break it down like that.  The good news is we didn't have to play that many close games as we were 20th in frequency of close games.

The question is are we still as good as that team?

I think we've improved our front court dramatically.  Wood was a Top 40 player in the league by EPM in the 20 and 21 seasons before the Houston tank last season.  McGee replaces the Powell role with dramatically better rebounding and defensive numbers while not giving up the good PnR numbers.  Yeah, we lost Brunson, the league's 75th best player by EPM last season and replaced him with SD, the 135th.  But, peak Dinwiddie in 2020 was the 58th best player in the league by EPM and the upcoming season is the point you'd expect to see him fully recover from his injury.  We will miss JB's self created offense, but between Wood and the return of THJ, we'll generate plenty of O.  Dinwiddie is actually an improvement over JB in the distribution area (48th in the league in Asst% versus 81st for JB) 

We also got longer across the board and kept our top defenders while adding the McGee upgrade over Powell.  Wood shows well as a defender at the four which is where he will start games (assuming he starts games).  I still see a top 4 team in the West and that is before we fill the hole at backup PG.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start - Mapka - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 07:28 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: 82Games is starting to put out some new stuff.  One such page is a Sortable 'Team Won-Lost Page'.  So, while all the Negative Nancy's continue to Nancy, let me pump a little sunshine:

As we may remember, Dallas finished with the 5th best record in the league (one win behind GSW and one ahead of Boston).  This wasn't since January 1st or anything like that.  If was the entire season including KP and Luka missing games, Bullock's shot missing the first half of the season and Maxi's going MIA the second half of the season.  It was with the team tinkering with lineups for two plus months before starting to figure things out in January.  People forget that Brunson didn't start next to Luka until January and the winning that ensued came with Powell and Maxi starting next to Luka, DFS and Brunson.  KP started with the Luka/Brunson combo for only 8 games before being traded and the DP/DFS/RB/Brunson/Luka lineup did start together until 2/4 (and proceeded to win 8 of 9).

In other words, we were a hot mess until calendar 2022 and still had the 5th best record in the league and the following:

We were 2nd in percentage of wins in games we had a 10 point lead at 85% (basically, get up by 10 and it is over).  AND 10 point leads happened 48 times or almost 60% of our games (remember, we were a hot mess until the beginning of 2022).  Only two teams, Phoenix and Memphis, won games with 10 point leads more times.  So percentage of wins 2nd and the number of times it happened third.  

We were also 2nd in the winning percentage where we trailed by 10 or more at some point in the game.  We won 17 of those games, tied for best in the league, again while tying on arm behind our back for the first half of the season.  So percentage of wins 2nd and the number of times it happened tied for first.

We were 7th in winning percentage in close games.  Seemingly, we won them all in the second half of the season and none in the first half, but 82 games doesn't break it down like that.  The good news is we didn't have to play that many close games as we were 20th in frequency of close games.

The question is are we still as good as that team?

I think we've improved our front court dramatically.  Wood was a Top 40 player in the league by EPM in 20 and 21 season before the Houston tank last season.  McGee replaces the Powell role with dramatically better rebounding and defensive numbers while not giving up the good PnR numbers.  Yeah, we lost Brunson, the league's 75th best player by EPM last season and replaced him with SD, the 135th.  But, peak Dinwiddie in 2020 was the 58th best player in the league by EPM and the upcoming season is the point you'd expect to see him fully recover from his injury.  We will miss JB's self created offense, but between Wood and the return of THJ, we'll generate plenty of O.  Dinwiddie is actually an improvement over JB in the distribution area (48th in the league in Asst% versus 81st for JB) 

We also got longer across the board and kept our top defenders while adding the McGee upgrade over Powell.  Wood shows well as a defender at the four which is where he will start games (assuming he starts games).  I still see a top 4 team in the West and that is before we fill the hole at backup PG.

I like your optimism, and I know you don't like Brunson as a player. But he was a bigger part to our success than the upgrade from Maxi/Powell/DFS to Wood/McGee/Maxi will give us back.
And you pointed at this.

By the way, we didn’t replace Brunson at all yet. We had Din for most of the good part of our season.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start - dirkfansince1998 - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 07:28 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: McGee replaces the Powell role with dramatically better rebounding and defensive numbers while not giving up the good PnR numbers.

This offseason is doing strange things to us. We have switched roles. I don´t think McGee can replace Powell´s versatility on defense. Will be really interesting to see how they change the scheme because the one thing that lead to big defensive improvements last season isn´t an option with McGee on the floor.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start - DanSchwartzgan - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 07:52 AM)Mapka Wrote: I like your optimism, and I know you don't like Brunson as a player.  

Not true at all.

I proposed trades at the TDL (what most now wish the FO had done) because I knew he was gone...not because I didn't like him.  I think NY paid too much and that Brunson won't look nearly as good in NY at that money (with no spacing) as he looked here.  I can certainly understand Dallas not wanting to pay that much.  I don't think it really mattered what Dallas did or did not do.  Brunson was always more likely to leave than stay.  People just didn't want to see it or wanted to project their own feelings into what Brunson 'should' do (like we all have experience making $100-million decisions).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start - Mapka - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 08:07 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Not true at all.

I proposed trades at the TDL (what most now wish the FO had done) because I knew he was gone...not because I didn't like him.  I think NY paid too much and that Brunson won't look nearly as good in NY at that money (with no spacing) as he looked here.  I can certainly understand Dallas not wanting to pay that much.  I don't think it really mattered what Dallas did or did not do.  Brunson was always more likely to leave than stay.  People just didn't want to see it or wanted to project their own feelings into what Brunson 'should' do (like we all have experience making $100-million decisions).

Ok, that's something else. I'm happy we didn't trade him though. WCF is worth much much more than anything we could have gotten from the Knicks.

The Knicks are just right out stupid.

(07-11-2022, 07:55 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: This offseason is doing strange things to us. We have switched roles. I don´t think McGee can replace Powell´s versatility on defense. Will be really interesting to see how they change the scheme because the one thing that lead to big defensive improvements last season isn´t an option with McGee on the floor.

Something rational to discuss...thank you.

I think you make an excellent point.  The counter is the overall D (and rebounding and shot blocking) is better.  That makes the question whether overall ability trumps system.  I think Powell HAD to play that way because once someone got into the lane (drop coverage) he was one of the worst defenders in the league (or at least people shot a very high percentage against him).  That won't be the case against McGee and when people miss we will be more likely to get the board.  We won't know how it will work until we know.  But, we are the team that supposedly played McGee off the floor and we still wanted him (and two of our coaches know him very well).

(07-11-2022, 08:14 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Something rational to discuss...thank you.

I think you make an excellent point.  The counter is the overall D (and rebounding and shot blocking) is better.  That makes the question whether overall ability trumps system.  I think Powell HAD to play that way because once someone got into the lane (drop coverage) he was one of the worst defenders in the league (or at least people shot a very high percentage against him).  That won't be the case against McGee and when people miss we will be more likely to get the board.  We won't know how it will work until we know.  But, we are the team that supposedly played McGee off the floor and we still wanted him (and two of our coaches know him very well).

Did the Suns coach say why he got away from McGee and played Biombo?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start - Winter - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 08:17 AM)Mapka Wrote: Did the Suns coach say why he got away from McGee and played Biombo?

I have no idea, but one possible reason might be because Byombo was capable of closing out on our perimeter shooters better than McGee. We were torching them from the perimeter.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start - Mavs2021 - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 08:17 AM)Mapka Wrote: Did the Suns coach say why he got away from McGee and played Biombo?

Cause he´s not very good. That´s the same reason he was dropped in the first round against Valanciunas, too.

Shaq bullied him on national TV. Now we have to overcompensate how much he was improved all the time, what a veteran leader he is and totally changed personality. All because Shaq needed to be a dick.

Interesting podcast today from Locked On Mavs.  Two topics...both things I talked about some this weekend.  BTW, I'm nearly sure Nick posts here occasionally though they are well connected and have good ideas on their own.  But today's pod was strangely close to things I've been saying:

Number one was they went through the Utah guys as possible trade candidates and ranked the five guys who might be targets.  I talked through deals for their top three (Bogdanovic, Beverley and Conley) over the last few days.  I think Utah is a pretty obvious partner.

Number two, they went through the rotation post the Kidd interview going as far as to say who would come off the bench at the six minute mark and who would come in to start the second quarter (same as I did this weekend).

Both parts of the pod are good listens (mainly because they largely align with my thinking Smile ).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start - dirkfansince1998 - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 08:14 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Something rational to discuss...thank you.

That´s the trade off. Would argue that the Mavs switch-heavy defense allowed less penetration (also less open 3s) but when it happened they had no rim protecton to clean up the mess and struggled to control the defensive board.

Maybe I am just traumatized by the drop defense the Mavs used to play with KP. Recent playoff series certainly wasn´t encouraging. Whenever McGee was on the floor I knew the Mavs would create an open 3 on every single offensive possession. Then again. It´s not like Powell´s playoff run was any better.

I just don´t think that drop defense is the way against the best teams in the league. Too many players that can handle the ball and shoot from 3 to get away with it. If we are looking at the four teams in the CF all of them played switch-heavy schemes.

Doesn´t mean that it is impossible to win with different styles but I think it requires more talent to do it. In the Mavs situation (with limited assets) I would have tried to double down on the things that enabled the WCF run. Used the one available exception to add a player that fits into the scheme.

After the Mavs added a PF/C in a trade another ("dinosaur") big was way down on my personal list of needs. Listening to Nico and looking at the contract they handed out the Mavs didn´t share my concerns.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start - Chicagojk - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 08:57 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Interesting podcast today from Locked On Mavs.  Two topics...both things I talked about some this weekend.  BTW, I'm nearly sure Nick posts here occasionally though they are well connected and have good ideas on their own.  But today's pod was strangely close to things I've been saying:

Number one was they went through the Utah guys as possible trade candidates and ranked the five guys who might be targets.  I talked through deals for their top three (Bogdanovic, Beverley and Conley) over the last few days.  I think Utah is a pretty obvious partner.

Number two, they went through the rotation post the Kidd interview going as far as to say who would come off the bench at the six minute mark and who would come in to start the second quarter (same as I did this weekend).

Both parts of the pod are good listens (mainly because they largely align with my thinking Smile ).

I have been listening to them on my morning walks and have enjoyed them.   Sort of Mavs homer-ish, but that is to expected.   The offseason is a good time to listen to these pods because their is a lot of speculation.

Question, would you remove the draft protection on our pick to the Knicks to get a TPE?  While it would free up our picks moving forward, I would not.    This team as constructed is one Luka injury of being a potential lottery team.   I would keep that protection there just in case...even it meant we may not have the pick flexibility currently.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start - Kammrath - 07-11-2022

https://twitter.com/TommyBeer/status/1546510311401963524

(07-11-2022, 09:09 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I have been listening to them on my morning walks and have enjoyed them.   Sort of Mavs homer-ish, but that is to expected.   The offseason is a good time to listen to these pods because their is a lot of speculation.

Question, would you remove the draft protection on our pick to the Knicks to get a TPE?  While it would free up our picks moving forward, I would not.    This team as constructed is one Luka injury of being a potential lottery team.   I would keep that protection there just in case...even it meant we may not have the pick flexibility currently.

What I’ve said is I would for a player, but not right now for a TPE.  I would remove the protection at the TDL for a TPE assuming we are playing well.  

Something they said on the pod that went further than anything I said regarding Bogdanovic is he is really a point forward and could carry the playmaking for bench units.  On or Off the ball he would be fantastic in that role.  I think Beverley is more realistic and a path to the $15.5mm needed to match him is difficult to see without a Brunson S&T.  But, I LOVE the bench being Maxi, Bogdanovic, THJ and Bullock.