MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - F Gump - 07-14-2023

(07-14-2023, 08:13 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Another way of answering Mvossman’s earlier question.  We can trade THJ’s $17.9mm for someone(s) making $21.5mm and still be a hair under the tax.  Add McGee to the outgoing and the $3.6mm trade spread gets you to taking back someone(s) making $27mm, but you have to get yourself to 14 players and account for that in the math if the trade only returns one guy.  That $3.6mm number appears to be the number that matters more than the remaining MLE.

It remains to be seen if the 3.6M trade spread is sacred or not. Curry has been signed, but the details have not been leaked yet.

The cheapest way to do his salary this year (as agreed) would use the BAE number of 4,516,000. Let's see how this unfolds. They could pay him more this year, and less next, perhaps.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - DanSchwartzgan - 07-14-2023

(07-14-2023, 09:51 PM)F Gump Wrote: It remains to be seen if the 3.6M trade spread is sacred or not. Curry has been signed, but the details have not been leaked yet.

The cheapest way to do his salary this year (as agreed) would use the BAE number of 4,516,000. Let's see how this unfolds. They could pay him more this year, and less next, perhaps.

Or put some money in a non-guaranteed third year using the MLE.

If the Bogdanovic/Hayes thing was real, it would have required $3.8mm in space to stay under the tax.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Exum signs 2yr/$6.1, 2nd yr non-guaranteed|Stein: Mavs aren't done yet - ThisIStheYear - 07-15-2023

Sounds like Mavs have some interest in Jones Jr. Finally. If they can make that work and stay out of the tax, that would be a sneaky good approach to get a 3rd viable forward on the roster.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Exum signs 2yr/$6.1, 2nd yr non-guaranteed|Stein: Mavs aren't done yet - cow - 07-15-2023

(07-15-2023, 11:52 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Sounds like Mavs have some interest in Jones Jr.  Finally. If they can make that work and stay out of the tax, that would be a sneaky good approach to get a 3rd viable forward on the roster.

I'd be really happy with DJJ as a rotational piece.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Exum signs 2yr/$6.1, 2nd yr non-guaranteed|Stein: Mavs aren't done yet - speedkilz88 - 07-15-2023

97.1 The Freak
@971TheFreak
From today
@TheSteinLine
with
@tysonchandler

Marc Stein every Saturday 12pm - 1pm CT
@971TheFreak

@iHeartRadio

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1248-saturday-sportsworld-with-118551168/episode/saturday-sportsworld-with-marc-stein-july-119016768/?cmp=web_share&embed=true

RE: MAVS NEWS: Exum signs 2yr/$6.1, 2nd yr non-guaranteed|Stein: Mavs aren't done yet - RoyTarpleysGhost - 07-15-2023

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1680249343742205952

Mavs are still exploring ways to trade Tim Hardaway Jr. And JaVale McGee

And:

“In other news, the Mavericks have also expressed exploratory interest in several free agent forwards, including Kelly Oubre Jr. and Derrick Jones Jr., league sources told HoopsHype.”

RE: MAVS NEWS: Exum signs 2yr/$6.1, 2nd yr non-guaranteed|Stein: Mavs aren't done yet - KillerLeft - 07-15-2023

DJJ is interesting. A few years back, when he was coming off of his rookie contract, I liked him for the Mavs…BUT, as a 4, in the screener role, with Porzingis/Kleber spacing from the 5. At the time, he was wing sized but basically played as a big, especially on offense. When the Mavs didn’t get him, I kind of stopped looking at him.

Has anyone in favor of bringing him here been actually watching him? Has he developed some wing skills, or are we just remembering that he’s athletic, looking at his height and assuming he’s the right guy? I’m honestly asking.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - DanSchwartzgan - 07-15-2023

(07-14-2023, 10:27 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Or put some money in a non-guaranteed third year using the MLE.

If the Bogdanovic/Hayes thing was real, it would have required $3.8mm in space to stay under the tax.

Or, they give him $4mm/$4mm with the second year NG.  So, now $4.1mm below the tax and the Bogdanovic trade can still be done under the tax.  In fact, pretty much all of the THJ for (fill in the blank) rumors still work here.  There is also still MLE room that is greater than the remaining room under the tax.  But, I kind of doubt it gets used to any degree beyond the $4.1mm left under the tax.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Mavs2021 - 07-15-2023

(07-15-2023, 04:57 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Or, they give him $4mm/$4mm with the second year NG.  So, now $4.1mm below the tax and the Bogdanovic trade can still be done under the tax.  In fact, pretty much all of the THJ for (fill in the blank) rumors still work here.  There is also still MLE room that is greater than the remaining room under the tax.  But, I kind of doubt it gets used to any degree beyond the $4.1mm left under the tax.

I still have hope with Lindsey, otherwise I´d put all my chips on: We simply couldn´t find a player we liked, so we decided to give Powell the extra money 24/3. Big Grin

RE: MAVS NEWS: Exum signs 2yr/$6.1, 2nd yr non-guaranteed|Stein: Mavs aren't done yet - DanSchwartzgan - 07-15-2023

I find it interesting that the cap room remaining plus THJ and McGee give you room to be the Tyler Herro third team in a Lillard to Miami deal.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Exum signs 2yr/$6.1, 2nd yr non-guaranteed|Stein: Mavs aren't done yet - F Gump - 07-15-2023

Can one of you guys who are hot and heavy for D Jones tell me what you see that the NBA doesn't? Or why he would be desirable and needed in Dallas, when NBA teams who have him doesn't seem to be all that excited to use him?

He has been in the NBA for 7 seasons, and has even gotten full MLE or close to it. Yet he has never been used very much. He's coming off a season playing only 14 mpg.

He also doesn't seem to have much of a market for his services.

I don't know his game, but something isn't adding up. Why would he be a player to add, when he can't get minutes anywhere else? Help me out.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Exum signs 2yr/$6.1, 2nd yr non-guaranteed|Stein: Mavs aren't done yet - Chicagojk - 07-15-2023

So does Dallas have two spots open? 3 if they waive Javele? Would you rather fill the open spots with veterans or younger guys?

If we do have 3 open spots, sort of odd they seem to have moved on from Theo. Not that he is a core player, but it seems like they have the room. But I really like how they have been strategic. I wonder if they fill one spot with a veteran and then look to steal a young player with a guaranteed roster spot....barring any trade.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Exum signs 2yr/$6.1, 2nd yr non-guaranteed|Stein: Mavs aren't done yet - Chicagojk - 07-15-2023

(07-15-2023, 06:06 PM)F Gump Wrote: Can one of you guys who are hot and heavy for D Jones tell me what you see that the NBA doesn't? Or why he would be desirable and needed in Dallas, when NBA teams who have him doesn't seem to be all that excited to use him?

He has been in the NBA for 7 seasons, and has even gotten full MLE or close to it. Yet he has never been used very much. He's coming off a season playing only 14 mpg.

I don't know his game, but something isn't adding up. Why would he be a player to add, when he can't get minutes anywhere else? Help me out.

I can't really help either.  It may be that he looks much better in highlights than what he actually is.   I have no idea.  

I do see some things that interest me.   He is only 26, right?  That might mean he is fully developed or he just needs to right team.    I certainly don't see him ever being a starter on a contender.  But he is probably a minimum guy or slightly over minimum.  Is the risk worth it to gamble that he may have a jump in his game or be a insurance in case mavs have a bigger trade or injuries?  I would prefer him over Oubre though.   While Oubre is a talented player, I am not sure adding a score first non efficient scorer to play with two of the most efficient players in the NBA is a recipe for success.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Exum signs 2yr/$6.1, 2nd yr non-guaranteed|Stein: Mavs aren't done yet - DanSchwartzgan - 07-15-2023

Can anyone come up with a reason they haven’t signed OMax yet?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Exum signs 2yr/$6.1, 2nd yr non-guaranteed|Stein: Mavs aren't done yet - KillerLeft - 07-15-2023

(07-15-2023, 06:58 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Can anyone come up with a reason they haven’t signed OMax yet?

Who’s his agent?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Exum signs 2yr/$6.1, 2nd yr non-guaranteed|Stein: Mavs aren't done yet - F Gump - 07-15-2023

(07-15-2023, 06:44 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: So does Dallas have two spots open?  3 if they waive Javele?  Would you rather fill the open spots with veterans or younger guys?

If we do have 3 open spots, sort of odd they seem to have moved on from Theo.  Not that he is a core player, but it seems like they have the room.  But I really like how they have been strategic.  I wonder if they fill one spot with a veteran and then look to steal a young player with a guaranteed roster spot....barring any trade.

1 Mavs have 14 right now, including McGee. That may be their plan. There are pluses and minuses to weigh as to whether you fill that 15th spot at the start of the season.

2 DS, I would wager they have signed OMax, and just failed to do the PR thing to media. I can't imagine either his agent or the Mavs would let him play in summer league until that is completed, because of the consequences if he gets injured.

3 We keep getting very vocal feedback to media that they aren't done. But I'm incredibly hesitant to trust anything will happen, even though they clearly want that message to be aired.

4 I do see 1 possibility that could explain such a certain message, while all we see is a big fat nothing, which would be they could have a deal already set, but have to wait for the Holmes "no-aggregation" restriction to expire. If that's the case, we have a long wait (to early Sept) and they will not be able to be any more explicit than the hints they have already given. They have done this type of thing before (although it has been a long time ago).

Then again, Cuban and others are talking up Holmes. If there is ALREADY a deal in place, would we be hearing that?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Exum signs 2yr/$6.1, 2nd yr non-guaranteed|Stein: Mavs aren't done yet - ThisIStheYear - 07-15-2023

(07-15-2023, 06:06 PM)F Gump Wrote: Can one of you guys who are hot and heavy for D Jones tell me what you see that the NBA doesn't? Or why he would be desirable and needed in Dallas, when NBA teams who have him doesn't seem to be all that excited to use him?

I like his body type. I like his DLEBRON rating, I like his winshare and win score ratings and VORP. I like that he’ll be cheap as Hell and that we only need about 15 minutes for him to come in and be disruptive. He’s not great, but the value is there and the Mavs just don’t have many viable players like him.

Taze Moore signed an exhibit 10 deal with the mavs. Much more likely he is a g league target than a real roster target. I had never heard of him. He played on our g league team as a rookie last year.

Watching his college highlights it looks like he also had some eye opening highlights at Houston.

https://youtu.be/LUUpr8K2rl8

RE: MAVS NEWS: Exum signs 2yr/$6.1, 2nd yr non-guaranteed|Stein: Mavs aren't done yet - surfpuckmd - 07-15-2023

I don't think anyone is hot and heavy for Derrick Jones Jr.  I think he is one of the three best available free agents remaining though.  I think the Mavs paid a significant cost to have the MLE available and they should use at least most of it.  Jones Jr. is one of the few free agents available worth more than the minimum.

He is a role player.  He does not create offense nor serve as a secondary ballhandler/playmaker on offense.  He is an athletic defender.  He can finish in transition and is a lob threat on offense.  He can hit open 3-pointers.  The Mavericks should want a very specific type of role player-  athletic defenders who can hit open 3-pointers.  It would be a good fit.

The fact that he's reasonably young is also a good thing as there's better potential for his 3-point shooting to improve.

He is still available because he's just a role player.  He's also a defensive role player and those aren't valued as highly as offensive role players.  I suggest that Derrick Jones Jr. is more of a winning player than Seth Curry and a better fit on this team.  However, Curry was signed first because the NBA generally values offense over defense.  I think Curry also is a good culture fit here and well-liked by Cuban so they felt good bringing him back.  

DJJ is likely looking for more than the vet minimum.  I think it's likely teams have offered the minimum and he has decided to wait to see if he can get a better offer.  Especially after he turned down his player option with the Bulls.  It's possible that he's looking for the right fit as well. Maybe he knows he'd fit best on a team with outstanding point guards who can create a lot of open looks for him and feed him lobs.

I think his minutes were limited this last year with the Bulls because they have Pat Williams who has more potential than DJJ.  DJJ played significantly more minutes the previous four seasons.   He played 23 minutes per game for the Blazers a few years ago.  That team finished 6th in the West.   The season before, he played 23 minutes per game for the Heat.  That team finished 5th in the East.  He's been a regular contributor on multiple playoff teams.  I think he could get 15-20 minutes per game here.  

I hope we sign him to 2 year deal over the vet minimum with the 2nd-year being a team option.  If he crashes and burns here , he's an expiring contract at the deadline which would have value.   

Why would the Mavs not sign him?  We have plenty of MLE money to afford him and an open roster spot.  

The only reason I can think of is that Cuban would rather not spend money when he doesn't have to.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Exum signs 2yr/$6.1, 2nd yr non-guaranteed|Stein: Mavs aren't done yet - cow - 07-15-2023

(07-15-2023, 08:58 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Taze Moore signed an exhibit 10 deal with the mavs.  Much more likely he is a g league target than a real roster target.  I had never heard of him.  He played on our g league team as a rookie last year.

Watching his college highlights it looks like he also had some eye opening highlights at Houston.

https://youtu.be/LUUpr8K2rl8

His effort and hustle really showed up in the one G-League game I watched this year.