MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - cow - 07-12-2023

If O'Max gets the minutes I think he will, we need to pray for Maxi health and a Holmes bounce-back season at the 5.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Mavs2021 - 07-12-2023

Will see how this all plays out, but I´d say they made two "mistakes" in a pretty good off-season.

1. It seems Lively and OMax were their primary draft targets and once they got them, they kinda closed shop. They should have gotten Miller or Vukcevic in the 2nd round, when they kept falling. Ironically Spurs gave us two seconds, which is exactly the price Wolves paid them for that 33rd pick.

2. Should have signed somebody like Bamba as cheap insurance, in case the big C trade does not materialize. It´s a minimum deal and I think Embiid, Harrell and Reed are as much competition as Holmes, Powell and Lively.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - F Gump - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 04:13 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: 2. Should have signed somebody like Bamba as cheap insurance, in case the big C trade does not materialize. It´s a minimum deal and 

Price is not the issue. It's the fact that this approach would have them heading to having half the roster at the center position, and no depth anywhere else.

In no particular order, 1 Holmes, 2 Lively, 3 Powell, 4 Maxi, 5 McGee already, and looking for another 6 Bamba, and then another 7 Capela(?) to put on top of the list. 

At some point, multiple Cs need to be sent away before adding someone else to the bottom of the list. As well as to any other part of it, too.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Mavs2021 - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 04:28 PM)F Gump Wrote: Price is not the issue. It's the fact that this approach would have them heading to having half the roster at the center position, and no depth anywhere else.

In no particular order, 1 Holmes, 2 Lively, 3 Powell, 4 Maxi, 5 McGee already, and looking for another 6 Bamba, and then another 7 Capela(?) to put on top of the list. 

At some point, multiple Cs need to be sent away before adding someone else to the bottom of the list. As well as to any other part of it, too.

Yeah, why not add Curry to the center list, while you are it? McGee will be gone 100%. Maxi is clearly going to getting minutes at PF. He is always a huge injury risk that will have to be nurtured. 

They have Holmes, who is a complete wildcard, a raw rookie and Dwight Powell. That´s it.

And even if you add Bamba, all four cost as much as one THJ.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 04:42 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Yeah, why not add Curry to the center list, while you are it? McGee will be gone 100%. Maxi is clearly going to getting minutes at PF. He is always a huge injury risk that will have to be nurtured. 

They have Holmes, who is a complete wildcard, a raw rookie and Dwight Powell. That´s it.

And even if you add Bamba, all four cost as much as one THJ.

It could change and one of them surprises us, but at this point that triumphant doesn't give me much hope.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - RoyTarpleysGhost - 07-12-2023

never mind

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 12:49 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Are you blaming him for getting his first real NBA contract in FA?  If so, you're damning most players in the league.

Not blaming him at all. But he gave Detroit the impression he was coming back, then does a complete 360, and declared he was a FA. Enough Wood talk, we'll see where he winds up.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - F Gump - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 04:42 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: all four cost as much as one THJ.

Unfortunately, it's not like we can go to the NBA store and say, "Here you can have these back and we will get someone different." We have what we have, and there will not be minutes for a project center. 

Number of bodies matters to everyone, not just me. Which is why he (or any other project center) wouldn't consider coming here. Minutes matter. Mavs' are already spent on feeding others.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Jakeospikez - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 04:28 PM)F Gump Wrote: Price is not the issue. It's the fact that this approach would have them heading to having half the roster at the center position, and no depth anywhere else.

I'm fine with Powell being brought back in a player coach type of role and emergency injury insurance type player or very specific matchup big, which I hope he is now, but he definitely shouldn't be impeding any high upside player. If they could get Bamba they shouldn't have resigned Powell if roster slots are an issue. Doesn't look like roster slots are a problem right now though? They should have a bunch of centers and let the ones that play the best remain on the team. Now was the time to take a chance on Bamba while his value is at its lowest and he's looking for a good fit. None of these guys other than Lively should scare him from getting playtime in the future. He's obviously cool with being a backup sitting behind Embiid. If he hits, he can be a matchup big that plays the Maxi role when the team wants to go 5 out. Maxi is a tweener and very injury prone plus on the wrong side of 30 so who knows how much he has left in the tank before he falls off. Anyway it's moot now but it'll look dumb as shit if he becomes a solid player and the Mavs decided they didn't need him when their center room is full of uncertainty.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - SleepingHero - 07-13-2023

(07-12-2023, 01:59 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote:
Can we document everyone's opinion on Wood and revisit the subject mid-season?

My opinion: Wood is a starting flex, stretch F-C who can reliably get you 18pts/9rbs/1.5blks in 30mins a game at 38%3pt.  He has some rim protection skills, but is a subpar defender.  Given his athletic ability, however, you can scheme him into a good team defense.  In today's market he's a $15-$18m player, but does not have that value currently given his time in DAL last year.

In today's market he's actually a 2 million vet min player, you know...as dictated by the market.

Plenty of teams had MLE or more this summer to give to Wood. None of them prioritized the 18pts/9rbs/1.5blks big. In fact Wood has never been worth more than 14.3 mil ever in his career. Why would he get a raise? 

Wood is a fantastic individual player. All the talent in the world. Doesn't really mean much if you can't play within a team structure. The fact our own defensive coach had to call out defensive coverages for Wood so he wasn't completely lost throughout the season should tell you all you need to know about the dude. He is getting paid more than 1 million per month and he couldn't commit himself to learning basic defensive coverages?

Give me a break.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Smitty - 07-13-2023

https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/1679540744682364944?s=46&t=4w35gotNXtBJnqxbaL7e9w

THJ and Holmes mentioned here.

“I think Richaun Holmes is going to be the most underrated pickup of the summer. I mean people forget what he could do with Sacramento before he got hurt and then they get Sabonis.”

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Jakeospikez - 07-13-2023

Probably not a bad idea to see how Holmes & Lively do in the regular season and then making a move at the TDL for a center if they feel they need it for a playoff push. Can also see if THJ is still needed for depth by then but he should be more tradable as well.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Chicagojk - 07-13-2023

I am not expecting another move for a quality level starter. Better to be surprised than expecting something.

If Mavs offered the 27 first, maybe there is a chance. But I think right now most teams are satisfied or sort of satisfied with their roster. You may have more value with the 27 first when reality hits some of these teams during the season.

I can't imagine anyone would want two more years and 12 million of Javele.

Maybe Hardaway is moved. But I could see that for a similar level player with a similar contract who maybe plays a position of need. Finding this player is a little tricky though. Especially considering how THJ could become a more positive asset this trade deadline or next.

Same for the second round picks. We saw a lot of deals happen at the trade deadline with second round picks. Dallas has at least a few now to include moving forward.

Finally, Dallas lacks semi or true expiring now, so this potentially makes a deal more challenging as well.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - KillerLeft - 07-13-2023

(07-13-2023, 12:50 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am not expecting another move for a quality level starter.  Better to be surprised than expecting something.

If Mavs offered the 27 first, maybe there is a chance.  But I think right now most teams are satisfied or sort of satisfied with their roster.    You may have more value with the 27 first when reality hits some of these teams during the season.

I can't imagine anyone would want two more years and 12 million of Javele. 

Maybe Hardaway is moved.  But I could see that for a similar level player with a similar contract who maybe plays a position of need.  Finding this player is a little tricky though.  Especially considering how THJ could become a more positive asset this trade deadline or next.

Same for the second round picks.  We saw a lot of deals happen at the trade deadline with second round picks.  Dallas has at least a few now to include moving forward.

Finally, Dallas lacks semi or true expiring now, so this potentially makes a deal more challenging as well.

I think they’ll unload McGee somehow. I really, really do. Right now, I still think they’re out there trying to attach him to Hardaway and get something back that they like,  but as you say, that’s looking less likely every day. When the dust clears though, I really feel like the fallback will be “here’s a 2nd or two, somebody take McGee” and not “ok, we’ll carry him one more year.”

Never in my history of following this team have they put out there multiple times in one summer, through multiple media folks: “_____ will definitely not be on the team at summer’s end.” This is a first. I think I believe that stuff.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Jmaciscool - 07-13-2023

(07-13-2023, 01:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Never in my history of following this team have they put out there multiple times in one summer, through multiple media folks: “_____ will definitely not be on the team at summer’s end.” This is a first. I think I believe that stuff.

This is why I'm thinking there's more going on behind the scenes/locker room with McGee than what we're privy to.  The Mavs' adamant stance of him not being on the roster next year no matter what is unprecedented for them and goes beyond just a lack of value on the court imo.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - cow - 07-13-2023

(07-13-2023, 01:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Never in my history of following this team have they put out there multiple times in one summer, through multiple media folks: “_____ will definitely not be on the team at summer’s end.” This is a first. I think I believe that stuff.

I would say this is all media narrative as it would be incredibly stupid to say this about a player you are trying to dump, but then again this is the same organization that is too stupid to keep their mouth shut about tanking.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - KillerLeft - 07-13-2023

(07-13-2023, 04:59 PM)cow Wrote: I would say this is all media narrative as it would be incredibly stupid to say this about a player you are trying to dump, but then again this is the same organization that is too stupid to keep their mouth shut about tanking.

Yeah, maybe it’s good, maybe it’s bad. Either way, it seems like what they’re trying to get done is out there this year in a more overt sense than in years past.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Chicagojk - 07-14-2023

if you can get around the paywall, I recommend this Lively article in the Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/07/14/dereck-lively-dad-mom-cancer/?utm_source=reddit.com

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Mavs2021 - 07-14-2023

(07-13-2023, 02:47 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: This is why I'm thinking there's more going on behind the scenes/locker room with McGee than what we're privy to.  The Mavs' adamant stance of him not being on the roster next year no matter what is unprecedented for them and goes beyond just a lack of value on the court imo.

Maybe it´s just human nature. If you had won the "worst annual decision"-award in your industry for 2022, would you want to put the trophy in your living room to look at it every day? Or do you throw it away and move on with the intention to do better next year.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Jmaciscool - 07-14-2023

(07-14-2023, 01:58 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Maybe it´s just human nature. If you had won the "worst annual decision"-award in your industry for 2022, would you want to put the trophy in your living room to look at it every day? Or do you throw it away and move on with the intention to do better next year.

Or (to extend the analogy) do you loudly proclaim that you'll gladly pay even more to have someone remove the trophy from your living room and/or melt it down where you still have to look at the remnants for several additional years vs just putting it in the closet to gather dust?

I obviously don't know if he was causing problems or not, it just seems like the Mavs are approaching this particular mistake very differently than past mistakes.  Maybe it's just a new approach they're taking.