MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Ghost of Podkolzin - 07-12-2023

I was at Santa Clara all 4 years with Nash, 92-96. Santa Clara, Cal, and Stanford students socialize together given so many went to HS together. Professors with float between the 3 schools. Brevin Knight was at Stanford. Nash was at Santa Clara. Even Tariq Abdul-Wahad was playing at nearby San Jose State. Kinda cool having 4 NBA players, 2 of whom are HOFers, playing so closely together.

Kidd was known to be the world's biggest prick. He was and I assume still is a drunk. He totaled his car drunk af and fled the scene. Here's what happened...

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1994-05-24-sp-61372-story.html

Kidd Questioned After Fleeing Accident
L.A. TIMES ARCHIVES
MAY 24, 1994 12 AM PT
Jason Kidd, expected to be one of the top selections in next month’s NBA draft, met Monday with authorities in Oakland who were investigating his allegedly fleeing the scene of a traffic accident.

There were no injuries in the wreck early Sunday on I-80.

The car Kidd, an All-American point guard at California, was driving allegedly sideswiped another car, skidded and overturned.

The other car was moderately damaged.

Kidd left in a third car, his two passengers staying at the accident scene, police said.

Kidd admitted he had fled.

“While driving two friends home I was involved in an accident,” he said. “I panicked and mistakenly left the scene. I was not intoxicated, and I have spoken with the authorities regarding this matter. Thankfully, no one was injured.”

Witnesses told the CHP that Kidd’s car was weaving in and out of traffic and speeding before hitting the other vehicle.

(07-12-2023, 12:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It’s worse than that. Wood didn’t leave, Detroit didn’t want him. Instead, they opted to give Jerami Grant his first big deal.

They chose Grant over Wood.  In your world that equates to their not wanting him?  HOU had no problem giving Wood his first big deal.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 12:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It’s worse than that. Wood didn’t leave, Detroit didn’t want him. Instead, they opted to give Jerami Grant his first big deal.

I guess I got it wrong. I always thought he wanted to test the market since he played pretty well. I'm from Detroit and follow them like the Mavs. They painted a picture that they wanted him back, but he rebuffed them to try to get a better deal in FAgency which he got from Houston.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Mavs2021 - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 12:19 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: https://thesmokingcuban.com/posts/dallas-mavericks-trade-rumors-bojan-bogdanovic

MacMahon says Mavs may revisit Bojan talks?

I have MBTSD. Undecided I read Boban.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Ghost of Podkolzin - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 12:34 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I guess I got it wrong. I always thought he wanted to test the market since he played pretty well. I'm from Detroit and follow them like the Mavs. They painted a picture that they wanted him back, but he rebuffed them to try to get a better deal in FAgency which he got from Houston.

You are correct.  The amount of conjecture on this board is amazing.  Wood has essentially been in the NBA 4 years.  Proved himself in Detroit.  Left in FA.  Produced in HOU.  Traded for a FRP.  Kidd hijacked his one season in DAL, like he did Larry Sanders, Paul Pierce, and KG.  Kidd has made him damaged goods.  Wood will excel next year and prove that Kidd is the worst human being and coach in the NBA.

(07-12-2023, 12:26 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Casey went to bat for Wood, who probably played the best of his career at that point in his time at Detroit, and he still left as a FA.  That speaks volumes right there.

Are you blaming him for getting his first real NBA contract in FA?  If so, you're damning most players in the league.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Winter - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 12:46 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Wood will excel next year and prove that Kidd is the worst human being and coach in the NBA.

OK, we got it already. You hate him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - KillerLeft - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 12:34 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I guess I got it wrong. I always thought he wanted to test the market since he played pretty well. I'm from Detroit and follow them like the Mavs. They painted a picture that they wanted him back, but he rebuffed them to try to get a better deal in FAgency which he got from Houston.

Well, but it’s just two different ways of looking at the same thing, yeah? The contract he got from Houston wasn’t a max or anything close. Unless you think he just wanted to play in Houston (I suppose that’s possible) then it seems clear that Detroit didn’t value him as highly as the contract he got, which, again, was less significant than what fans expected him to get at the time.

Do I need to mention Kidd's breaking up the KIdd/Jackson/Mashburn Mavs? Whether or not it was Toni Braxton, the issue is that Kidd couldn't get along with Jackson. Since then there have been zero stories about Jimmy not getting along with teammates , coaches, etc. He's actually a pretty good color analyst. But Kidd? He's been nothing but confrontational at every stop. How about screwing over Cuban and signing with NYK? The dude is a cancer. He's the worst coach in the NBA.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Kidnova - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 12:58 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Do I need to mention Kidd's breaking up the KIdd/Jackson/Mashburn Mavs?  Whether or not it was Toni Braxton, the issue is that Kidd couldn't get along with Jackson.  Since then there have been zero stories about Jimmy not getting along with teammates , coaches, etc.  He's actually a pretty good color analyst.  But Kidd?  He's been nothing but confrontational at every stop.  How about screwing over Cuban and signing with NYK?  The dude is a cancer.  He's the worst coach in the NBA.

Probably time to take a step back and breath a little.  Not sure where this went so far off the rails.

(07-12-2023, 12:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, but it’s just two different ways of looking at the same thing, yeah? The contract he got from Houston wasn’t a max or anything close. Unless you think he just wanted to play in Houston (I suppose that’s possible) then it seems clear that Detroit didn’t value him as highly as the contract he got, which, again, was less significant than what fans expected him to get at the time.

They signed Grant at $60m/3yrs.  HOU signed Wood at $42m/3yrs.  The ONLY assumption you can make is that they valued Grant higher than Wood.  That elevates Grant.  It doesn't belittle Wood.

(07-12-2023, 12:59 PM)Kidnova Wrote: Probably time to take a step back and breath a little.  Not sure where this went so far off the rails.

Thanks.  Yes, I'm done.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - KillerLeft - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 12:58 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Do I need to mention Kidd's breaking up the KIdd/Jackson/Mashburn Mavs?  Whether or not it was Toni Braxton, the issue is that Kidd couldn't get along with Jackson.  Since then there have been zero stories about Jimmy not getting along with teammates , coaches, etc.  He's actually a pretty good color analyst.  But Kidd?  He's been nothing but confrontational at every stop.  How about screwing over Cuban and signing with NYK?  The dude is a cancer.  He's the worst coach in the NBA.

There’s no shortage of folks around here with negative opinions of Kidd. I just don’t think you can lay all of Wood’s failure at his feet. I was extremely critical of how the situation was handled all season, but that was because of the desperate situation the Mavs were in. I felt they needed to bend over backwards a little to MAKE the fit work. Maybe they think they did, not sure.

But at this point, the kid is like 28, unemployed and surprised that he’s only being offered minimum deals. You say he’s going to prove himself next year, but I find that hard to believe, given that he’ll be playing on a minimum contract fighting for a fringe rotation spot, probably against someone younger.

The truth is that Wood needed last year to go well just as much as Dallas did. It was an opportunity to win the coaches over and prove that he was serious about having a career. Instead, he trumpeted goals about making the all-star team and had his agent air stories publicly about how mistreated he was.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - ItsGoTime - 07-12-2023

Both sides were at fault for how bad things went here. Neither side wants to give on that. Weird.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - omahen - 07-12-2023

My only real problem in the Wood situation is, why Mavs traded for him in the first place. They knew who he is. Sweeney worked with him and I am sure they have plenty of contacts to ask for an honest opinion. So if Wood is a giant pain in the ass in the locker room, they should have known before and avoided him. Dumping 12 mil of bad contracts does not cost a FRP, there would be plenty of other ways to do that and keep the pick. Mavs just took 24 mil of bad contract for similarly placed pick.

The moment they started the McGee will be a starter thing, I knew this will not end well. Wood is clearly way more talented. And even if his numbers don't necessarily contribute to winning, the counting numbers still count. I think Mavs did a lot to tank his value, even if that was not their intention. And by doing this, they also hurt themselves. In my opinion, the smartest way would be to feature him from day 1 and then flip him at TDL. Or not trade for him at all.

In any case, this is all water under the bridge. Wood and Mavs are done and no one will SnT for him. I just hope Mavs learned something from it

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - ItsGoTime - 07-12-2023

https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/1679192010203201547?s=46

Here’s something different to talk about. We’re closing in on the deal being final!

Also, love the like by omaxprosper. He’s gotta be the guy we’re hoping he is, right?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - SleepingHero - 07-12-2023

Can Wood sign a deal with the Shanghai Sharks so we can forever stop talking about the loser.

(07-12-2023, 01:32 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Can Wood sign a deal with the Shanghai Sharks so we can forever stop talking about the loser.

That would suck. Shanghai is my favorite Asian team and I follow them pretty closely. I think they’re just as dumb as Dallas and would also try to play him at the 4 instead of his real position. It would be last year all over again.

(07-12-2023, 01:32 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Can Wood sign a deal with the Shanghai Sharks so we can forever stop talking about the loser.
I would venture to guess calling him a loser has the opposite effect of what your post says you’re trying to do.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - RDB - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 12:59 PM)Kidnova Wrote: Probably time to take a step back and breath a little.  Not sure where this went so far off the rails.

Where it went off the rails is the same place all of these things go off the rails.  Someone states an opinion and others minimize the opinions.  That puts the person on the defense, others pile on, examples are tailored to fit a narrative, and it eventually gets personal.  It’s social media/message board 101.

Instead of minimizing others opinions, just share your opinions and accept that others may may not be of the same belief.  And it certainly doesn’t help the discussion to say things like “we get it, you hate Kidd”.

Edit: This was not directed at you specifically Kidnova. It was just a reply to the bold portion of your post and the overall tone of the discussion.

(07-12-2023, 01:44 PM)RDB Wrote: Where it went off the rails is the same place all of these things go off the rails.  Someone states an opinion and others minimize the opinions.  That puts the person on the defense, others pile on, examples are tailored to fit a narrative, and it eventually gets personal.  It’s social media/message board 101.

Instead of minimizing others opinions, just share your opinions and accept that others may may not be of the same belief.  And it certainly doesn’t help the discussion to say things like “we get it, you hate Kidd”.

So what you’re saying is that the Mavs need to trade for Capela…