MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Ghost of Podkolzin - 07-12-2023

(07-11-2023, 08:23 PM)MFFL Wrote: If that was the case then Wood would have found another team by now at the MLE or higher.

Ya, because how Kidd handled the situation did wonders for Wood's career  Tongue

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Kidnova - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 09:26 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Ya, because how Kidd handled the situation did wonders for Wood's career  Tongue

I'm sure it was the fault of his previous 7 NBA coaches as well.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Chicagojk - 07-12-2023

https://twitter.com/keithsmithnba/status/1679144512197922819?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - BigDirk41 - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 10:10 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/keithsmithnba/status/1679144512197922819?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

I like it. Good value imo. I look forward to what he can do as a starter.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Ghost of Podkolzin - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 09:41 AM)Kidnova Wrote: I'm sure it was the fault of his previous 7 NBA coaches as well.

So we spent roster assets and a FRP for someone who was *known to be a coach/lockerroom cancer?  Think, man.  There were absolutely ZERO such allegations approaching that.  There is ZERO evidence that he was anything but hated by Kidd.  All of this is conjecture.  ALL.

Wood was very much a late bloomer.  
* He was undrafted.
* Played 8.5mins in 17 games rookie year, 2015/16.
* Played 8.2mins in 13 games 2nd year, 2016/17.
* Out of the league in 3rd year, 2017/18.
* Played 11.9 mins in 21 games 4th year, 2017/18.

--It is ONLY at this point that you can say his NBA career started, 5th year, 24yo
* Played 21.4mins in 62 games for DET 1st year.  13.1pts/6.3rbs/0.9blks/38.6%3pt
--Signs FA contract with HOU, 3yrs/$41m
* Played 32.1mins in 41 games for HOU 2nd year.  21pts/9.6rbs/1.2blks/37.4%3pt
* Played 30.8mins in 68 games for HOU 3rd year.  17.9pts/10.1rbs/1.0blks/39.0%3pt
--At 26yo and HOU having rookie stud Sengun and drafting JSJ, HOU trades Wood to DAL
* Played 25.9mins in 67 games for DAL 4th year.  16.6pts/7.3rbs/1.1blks/37.6%3pt

So...  in 4 years as a steady NBA roster player, he left DET for FA and was Traded to Dallas.  The ONLY team that "got rid of him" was HOU, who got a FRP for him.  Does this sound like a cancer who keeps getting kicked out of locker rooms?  Why did DAL give up a FRP if that was the case???

As a steady NBA roster player:
4 years, 17.2pts/8.3rbs/1.0blks/38.4%3pt

IMO Wood should be used as M.Harrell was used when he was 6MOY. He can come in at either the 4 or 5, shifting the floor lineup however fits the game action.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-12-2023

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1678935487912747011

Kyrie signs new shoe deal with ANTA

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Kidnova - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 11:09 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: So we spent roster assets and a FRP for someone who was *known to be a coach/lockerroom cancer?  Think, man.  There were absolutely ZERO such allegations approaching that.  There is ZERO evidence that he was anything but hated by Kidd.  All of this is conjecture.  ALL.

*Snip*

IMO Wood should be used as M.Harrell was used when he was 6MOY.  He can come in at either the 4 or 5, shifting the floor lineup however fits the game action.

You're right, there was no history of Wood being a problem before coming to Dallas.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/rockets-suspend-kevin-porter-jr-christian-wood-for-behavior-in-loss-to-nuggets-per-report/

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2019/12/2/20991349/dwane-casey-handling-of-christian-wood-paying-off

Quote:There's been common knowledge among those close to the Detroit Pistons and around the team that Wood has struggled with professionalism, and has been quite immature to start his career.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Scott41theMavs - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 11:29 AM)Kidnova Wrote: You're right, there was no history of Wood being a problem before coming to Dallas.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/rockets-suspend-kevin-porter-jr-christian-wood-for-behavior-in-loss-to-nuggets-per-report/

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2019/12/2/20991349/dwane-casey-handling-of-christian-wood-paying-off

Well done. 

You don't have to turn in your membership card for the Jason Kidd Haters Club to acknowledge that Wood has issues.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - mvossman - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 11:09 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: So we spent roster assets and a FRP for someone who was *known to be a coach/lockerroom cancer?  Think, man.  There were absolutely ZERO such allegations approaching that.  There is ZERO evidence that he was anything but hated by Kidd.  All of this is conjecture.  ALL.

Wood was very much a late bloomer.  
* He was undrafted.
* Played 8.5mins in 17 games rookie year, 2015/16.
* Played 8.2mins in 13 games 2nd year, 2016/17.
* Out of the league in 3rd year, 2017/18.
* Played 11.9 mins in 21 games 4th year, 2017/18.

--It is ONLY at this point that you can say his NBA career started, 5th year, 24yo
* Played 21.4mins in 62 games for DET 1st year.  13.1pts/6.3rbs/0.9blks/38.6%3pt
--Signs FA contract with HOU, 3yrs/$41m
* Played 32.1mins in 41 games for HOU 2nd year.  21pts/9.6rbs/1.2blks/37.4%3pt
* Played 30.8mins in 68 games for HOU 3rd year.  17.9pts/10.1rbs/1.0blks/39.0%3pt
--At 26yo and HOU having rookie stud Sengun and drafting JSJ, HOU trades Wood to DAL
* Played 25.9mins in 67 games for DAL 4th year.  16.6pts/7.3rbs/1.1blks/37.6%3pt

So...  in 4 years as a steady NBA roster player, he left DET for FA and was Traded to Dallas.  The ONLY team that "got rid of him" was HOU, who got a FRP for him.  Does this sound like a cancer who keeps getting kicked out of locker rooms?  Why did DAL give up a FRP if that was the case???

As a steady NBA roster player:
4 years, 17.2pts/8.3rbs/1.0blks/38.4%3pt

IMO Wood should be used as M.Harrell was used when he was 6MOY.  He can come in at either the 4 or 5, shifting the floor lineup however fits the game action.

We did not spend roster assets.  We dumped 4 terrible 1 year contracts to clear up roster space in that trade.  We traded a late first (which really turned out to be two seconds as that is what we paid to get the guy we would have drafted late first) to take a flyer on a talented player with known red flags.  Detroit let him walk and signed a bigger contract for Grant, which a lot of folks questioned at the time (but it makes plenty of sense now).  Do you really think one season with Kidd is the only reason an 18/10 guy is probably getting the min.

(07-12-2023, 11:37 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Well done. 

You don't have to turn in your membership card for the Jason Kidd Haters Club to acknowledge that Wood has issues.

Exactly.  I didn't like the Kidd hire to start, then the WCF run made me rethink my position, but now I'm back to my original opinion of him not being the right guy.  Even so, placing the Wood situation directly on him is ignoring all of the prior red flags.

(07-12-2023, 11:29 AM)Kidnova Wrote: You're right, there was no history of Wood being a problem before coming to Dallas.

“I went to the wall to make sure (Wood) was here,” Casey said after the Pistons win over the San Antonio Spurs; a game where Wood went off for 28 points and 10 rebounds. I was also told much earlier in the season by those close to the situation that Casey was indeed the force behind keeping Wood over Johnson"
Absolutely no tangible evidence other than people said he was immature and unprofessional.  So Casey had to manage him on what was essentially his rookie year?  This was 4 years ago.  Sounds like Casey was glad he did.  

"including Porter and Wood, but it was Porter who lost his temper. He threw an object and left the Toyota Center, according to The Athletic's Shams Charania."
In 2 years in HOU, the only instance is it sounds like he took up for his teammate in an argument with an assistant coach.  Rather than just suspending the young star Porter, they lumped in his journeyman support.  By all means, this is a capital offense.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/book-jason-kidd-held-christmas-eve-practice-with-bucks-that-left-larry-sanders-hospitalized

The Mavericks hiring Jason Kidd as coach drew backlash due to his guilty plea for spousal abuse in 2001.

More recent and more-directly relevant to his new job, Kidd coached the Bucks with a brutal style before they fired him in 2018.

A particularly troubling example involved Larry Sanders. Milwaukee lost to the Hornets on Dec. 23, 2014. As usual at the time , the Bucks didn’t play on Christmas.

"Giannis: The Improbable Rise of an NBA MVP ” by Mirin Fader (via @FakeTJHawke ):

Players returned to the locker room dejected, silent. Everyone was ready for the next two days off with their families.

Kidd wasn’t satisfied. “See you guys tomorrow at 9:00 a.m.”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” players said. “What do you mean?”

“We’re going to have practice tomorrow.”

“We booked flights to different places!”

“I don’t care. You guys get paid to do a job, so you’re doing your job tomorrow. Things change.”

Practice the next morning was ugly. Kidd went at Sanders. Called him a “piece of [s***],” a “terrible player.” The team ran and ran and ran and ran, like a college team would. “I don’t think I’ve done that since I left J-Kidd,” [Brandon] Knight says. “It was not normal.”

Players had to finish a fast-break drill in twenty-two seconds, but twenty-seven was the team’s best record. They did it over and over until they made it. Some were bent over, panting, cramping. Practice lasted three hours, and then Kidd made players lift weights and do pool exercises. Half the team didn’t know how to swim, but Kidd made everyone run in the pool.

“Everybody was so tired that nobody was thinking about Christmas,” [Zaza] Pachulia says. “We didn’t have energy left to open gifts.”

Kidd continued to berate Sanders, though, calling him “pathetic.” Sanders couldn’t handle it. Where he was in his life, his career, this practice, all his mistakes, all his frustrations, he felt his entire body turn to jelly as he cramped from head to toe. “I had a full-body convulsion,” Sanders says. “My body broke down. Physically I couldn’t take it, and mentally I really couldn’t take it.”

Sanders asked to be excused to go to the bathroom. “Oh, don’t worry,” Kidd said as Sanders walked away. “We’ll wait, then run some more.” Sanders left the facility and took himself to the hospital, spending the night there. Few knew what happened in the aftermath, and he didn’t have the energy then to talk about it.

“I don’t think he’s a bad person,” Sanders says about Kidd, “but mentally, he kinda, like, brain [f***ed] me a little. It was a lot of, I love you, kiss you on the cheek, now it’s all about money, who cares about your mental health, your body breaking down.

“I’m happy. I’m in a much better place now,” he says. “I’m sorry it had to go out the way it did.”

Sanders’ issues predated Kidd , who was in his first season as Bucks coach.
But Kidd’s tactics certainly didn’t help. Sanders got suspended for drugs while away from the team then never played for Milwaukee again, taking a buyout . He entered a program for anxiety, depression and mood disorders and spent a couple of years outside the NBA, returning only for a brief stint with the Cavaliers in 2017.

There can be a fine line between tough coaching that strengthens a team and abusive coaching. For what it’s worth, Giannis Antetokounmpo said he embraced Kidd’s methods – though added he was the only Bucks player to do so.

Kidd’s coaching style also bothered Kevin Garnett with the Nets to the point Paul Pierce thought Garnett would fight Kidd (perhaps, coincidentally, also on Christmas).

Kidd brings desirable qualities to Dallas. He’s a basketball genius . Perhaps, he has learned from his prior misdeeds.

But it’s reasonable to be concerned about how Kidd, who’d been a Lakers assistant, regaining power will affect those around him.

(07-12-2023, 11:58 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: “I went to the wall to make sure (Wood) was here,” Casey said after the Pistons win over the San Antonio Spurs; a game where Wood went off for 28 points and 10 rebounds. I was also told much earlier in the season by those close to the situation that Casey was indeed the force behind keeping Wood over Johnson"
Absolutely no tangible evidence other than people said he was immature and unprofessional.  So Casey had to manage him on what was essentially his rookie year?  This was 4 years ago.  Sounds like Casey was glad he did.  

"including Porter and Wood, but it was Porter who lost his temper. He threw an object and left the Toyota Center, according to The Athletic's Shams Charania."
In 2 years in HOU, the only instance is it sounds like he took up for his teammate in an argument with an assistant coach.  Rather than just suspending the young star Porter, they lumped in his journeyman support.  By all means, this is a capital offense.

We'll just agree to disagree I suppose.  Again, just the fact that he's sitting there without a contract with all of the talent you've fallen in love with should tell you something.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Winter - 07-12-2023

Cmon Ghost, you completely leave out the Kidd's stint at LA got rave reviews by the players. Kidd said himself he changed his style completely while in LA and learned a ton about how to manage a team.

I wasn't on board with Kidd as our head coach, but you're just trashing the guy now with virtually no evidence from anyone in the Mavs organization.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Jym - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 12:09 PM)Winter Wrote: Cmon Ghost, you completely leave out the Kidd's stint at LA got rave reviews by the players. Kidd said himself he changed his style completely while in LA and learned a ton about how to manage a team.

I wasn't on board with Kidd as our head coach, but you're just trashing the guy now with virtually no evidence from anyone in the Mavs organization.

I just hope the change in assistant coaches actually makes a difference the same way getting Nico more of a team around him has boosted his results

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-12-2023

https://thesmokingcuban.com/posts/dallas-mavericks-trade-rumors-bojan-bogdanovic

MacMahon says Mavs may revisit Bojan talks?

(07-12-2023, 12:09 PM)Winter Wrote: Cmon Ghost, you completely leave out the Kidd's stint at LA got rave reviews by the players. Kidd said himself he changed his style completely while in LA and learned a ton about how to manage a team.

That negates hospitalizing Larry Sanders and both Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett wanting to kick his ass?

His treatment of Wood is a pattern.  Being an assistant, not in control, in LAL does not negate his treatment of certain players as a HC.

(07-12-2023, 12:05 PM)Kidnova Wrote: We'll just agree to disagree I suppose.  Again, just the fact that he's sitting there without a contract with all of the talent you've fallen in love with should tell you something.

And how much of that has to do with Kidd's treatment and evaluation?  Dude put Larry Sanders in the hospital and almost got his ass kicked by KG and P.Pierce.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - Chicagojk - 07-12-2023

Discuss what you want, but i find the Wood talk boring. It did not work out here. Mavs have moved on. Kidd, Cuban and Nico were all done with him. Some of the body language from Cuban in the second half of the season on the sidelines after Wood did something was telling. This was not just a Kidd thing. Mavs probably had too much groupthink last year as a group. They were all done with him.

It certainly feels like the rest of the league did not buy into him. He will have a chance to prove the doubters wrong. I was not crazy how the Mavs handled the situation, but Wood was never my cup of tea (outside of a few week December stretch where I thought he was good).

Whatever happens to him, it won't be in Dallas.

(07-12-2023, 11:58 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: “I went to the wall to make sure (Wood) was here,” Casey said after the Pistons win over the San Antonio Spurs; a game where Wood went off for 28 points and 10 rebounds. I was also told much earlier in the season by those close to the situation that Casey was indeed the force behind keeping Wood over Johnson"

Casey went to bat for Wood, who probably played the best of his career at that point in his time at Detroit, and he still left as a FA.  That speaks volumes right there.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Javale Gone no matter what| Bubble Luka Weight to Return?| - KillerLeft - 07-12-2023

(07-12-2023, 12:26 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Casey went to bat for Wood, who probably played the best of his career at that point in his time at Detroit, and he still left as a FA.  That speaks volumes right there.

It’s worse than that. Wood didn’t leave, Detroit didn’t want him. Instead, they opted to give Jerami Grant his first big deal.