MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to Anamaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - Chicagojk - 07-09-2023

Looks tough

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/1678115130331250688?s=61&t=-aAylloVlVRI2-DRvoajoA

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to Anamaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - WillE - 07-10-2023

Finally some CWood rumor:

https://hoopshype.com/2023/07/10/lakers-considering-christian-wood-and-bismack-biyombo-for-14th-roster-spot/

It shows his current market value. He certainly won't get anywhere near his last year salary...

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to Anamaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - ItsGoTime - 07-10-2023

We’ve seen the replacement coach names, but haven’t heard about a lead assistant announced have we? I wonder if Kidd is looking into Dudley for that.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to Anamaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - Smitty - 07-10-2023

(07-10-2023, 10:05 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: We’ve seen the replacement coach names, but haven’t heard about a lead assistant announced have we? I wonder if Kidd is looking into Dudley for that.

He has certainly impressed me with his interviews and comments in SL.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to Anamaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - SleepingHero - 07-10-2023

(07-09-2023, 02:29 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Sadly, there are indeed people here who aren't bright enough to avoid the grass is greener/younger is better tropes.

After the Warriors let Oubre go happily as soon as they could, that told me all I need to know about Oubre and his impact on winning.

No surprise everyone forgot he went to Charlotte and he's been filling up the stat sheet there on horrid efficiency. Hard pass on the guy.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to Anamaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - cow - 07-10-2023

(07-09-2023, 02:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I hope we can all agree that Hardaway is more worth having than Oubre.

You did say that THJ is more valuable than DFS currently so your judgement needs to be questioned on everything.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to Anamaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - KillerLeft - 07-10-2023

(07-10-2023, 05:35 PM)cow Wrote: You did say that THJ is more valuable than DFS currently so your judgement needs to be questioned on everything.

Only on THIS team...but yeah, I probably deserve that.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to Anamaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - cow - 07-10-2023

(07-10-2023, 05:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Only on THIS team...but yeah, I probably deserve that.

You could be talking about the Mavs, Nets, Nuggets, Hoosiers, TuneSquad, or the Beavers Squad that Teen Wolf ran with and you'd still be wrong, wrong, wrong.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to Anamaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - KillerLeft - 07-10-2023

(07-10-2023, 05:49 PM)cow Wrote: You could be talking about the Mavs, Nets, Nuggets, Hoosiers, TuneSquad, or the Beavers Squad that Teen Wolf ran with and you'd still be wrong, wrong, wrong.

Hoosiers definitely needed THJ more than DFS. Have you seen how packed the defense gets in the paint against them? Chitwood didn't have any space to work with, and had to take that last shot from Dame land. I'm sure Gene Hackman would've LOVED getting his hands on THJ during that season, and in terms of screen time it might have spared us that horrible, gratuitous love interest B Story with Barbara Herschel.

(07-10-2023, 05:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Hoosiers definitely needed THJ more than DFS. Have you seen how packed the defense gets in the paint against them? Chitwood didn't have any space to work with, and had to take that last shot from Dame land. I'm sure Gene Hackman would've LOVED getting his hands on THJ during that season, and in terms of screen time it might have spared us that horrible, gratuitous love interest B Story with Barbara Herschel.

Playoff THJ would have hit the side of the backboard on the winning attempt and the other team wouldn't have broken 20 with DFS locking everyone down.

I'd also argue that Teen Wolf and DFS are basically the same player. Too much overlap there.

(07-10-2023, 06:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'd also argue that Teen Wolf and DFS are basically the same player. Too much overlap there.

That's the great philopshy that led Portland to draft Bowie over Jordan.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to Anamaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - SleepingHero - 07-11-2023

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1678641970699173890?s=20

Keith Smith (@KeithSmithNBA)
Dwight Powell's new $12M, three-year deal with the Dallas Mavericks is $4M flat per season, a league source told @spotrac.

Powell has a player option on the final season.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to Anamaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - SleepingHero - 07-11-2023

https://twitter.com/kyriecenterig/status/1678792970126991362?s=46&t=Ofn9ihgBPdBFQJpnkEDS0A

Quote:Kyrie Center
@kyriecenterig
Mavs Owner Mark Cuban on Kyrie Irving:

"We traded for [Kyrie] because we wanted him to be a long-term piece… I think Kyrie is just misunderstood”

Cuban with an interesting interview on Kyrie.

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/1678192313065959425

Dallas Mavericks (@dallasmavs)
Which cartoon character do you relate to the most?

These answers are allllll over the place

@celsiusofficial | #MFFL

Watch the vid, Lively's answer killed me.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to Anamaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - Ghost of Podkolzin - 07-11-2023

(07-09-2023, 02:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I hope we can all agree that Hardaway is more worth having than Oubre.

If Oubre attempted half the number of 3ptrs last year (from 7.1 to 3.6) and instead shot a 2ptr, his fg% would have increased from 43% to 47%.  That would be a slight increase in his scoring and be one less missed FG.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to Anamaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - KillerLeft - 07-11-2023

(07-11-2023, 02:47 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: If Oubre attempted half the number of 3ptrs last year (from 7.1 to 3.6) and instead shot a 2ptr, his fg% would have increased from 43% to 47%.  That would be a slight increase in his scoring and be one less missed FG.

I don’t know what point you’re making.

There’s geometric value in a player who can shoot three pointers at a high volume. Their value is bigger than the actual value of the 3-pointers going in. That’s probably why Oubre is shooting more than he should - because his team desperately needs the guy playing his position to be a threat from there to hold defenders away from the paint. But, he can’t make them, so he doesn’t hold defenders, so he’s still out there, looking for a job. 

Unless you are the main guy on offense, through whom the system runs, or good enough to be very close to that (Derozan, for example), you kind of have to shoot 3’s to get minutes in the NBA now. This is the real reason guys like Luka, Booker, etc, can do the things they can do. Because there’s so much space for them to attack that defenders don’t have a chance.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to Anamaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - Ghost of Podkolzin - 07-11-2023

(07-11-2023, 02:56 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don’t know what point you’re making.

There’s geometric value in a player who can shoot three pointers at a high volume. Their value is bigger than the actual value of the 3-pointers going in. That’s probably why Oubre is shooting more than he should - because his team desperately needs the guy playing his position to be a threat from there to hold defenders away from the paint. But, he can’t make them, so he doesn’t hold defenders, so he’s still out there, looking for a job. 

Unless you are the main guy on offense, through whom the system runs, or good enough to be very close to that (Derozan, for example), you kind of have to shoot 3’s to get minutes in the NBA now. This is the real reason guys like Luka, Booker, etc, can do the things they can do. Because there’s so much space for them to attack that defenders don’t have a chance.

I think we're saying the same thing.  7.1 3ptA for a 43% 3pt shooter is insane.  He was on a horrible with little to no distribution...  Ball only played 36 games.  He was being asked to fill the bucket, even at the terrible 3pt efficiency.    If you just take his attempts in half, moving a quarter of his 3ptrs to 2ptrs you get...

12 pts on 47%fg, 8.55 attempts.
Compare that to THJ's 14.4pts on 40.1%fg, 11.9 attempts.

You lose THJ's outside shooting, but you have a far more efficient scorer.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to Anamaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - Chicagojk - 07-11-2023

Found this super interesting. See text thread for more Mavs thoughts

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1678865821790007297?s=20

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to Anamaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 07-11-2023

(07-11-2023, 03:24 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: I think we're saying the same thing.  7.1 3ptA for a 43% 3pt shooter is insane.  He was on a horrible with little to no distribution...  Ball only played 36 games.  He was being asked to fill the bucket, even at the terrible 3pt efficiency.    If you just take his attempts in half, moving a quarter of his 3ptrs to 2ptrs you get...

12 pts on 47%fg, 8.55 attempts.
Compare that to THJ's 14.4pts on 40.1%fg, 11.9 attempts.

You lose THJ's outside shooting, but you have a far more efficient scorer.

And far worse spacing, which is what Killer is trying to say.  There's a reason he was he was shooting all those 3s, it was because that's what the offense had called for.  And if you think that any player in the NBA would come to Dallas and end up shooting less 3s...