MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - omahen - 07-07-2023

Wow, looks so spontaneous, love it Smile

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1677414200455442432

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - fifteenth - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 03:42 PM)omahen Wrote: Wow, looks so spontaneous, love it Smile

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1677414200455442432

It's really cool that they happened upon such a talented photographer with such a great camera at just the right time! 

Do you think being married will help him stay in shape for a whole season?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - omahen - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 03:46 PM)fifteenth Wrote: It's really cool that they happened upon such a talented photographer with such a great camera at just the right time! 

Do you think being married will help him stay in shape for a whole season?

According to my experience, the amount of excercise decreases once she gets the ring. So I am a bit sceptical Smile Smile Smile

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - fifteenth - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 03:48 PM)omahen Wrote: According to my experience, the amount of excercise decreases once she gets the ring. So I am a bit sceptical Smile Smile Smile

But maybe she can curb the food and drink a bit?  Huh

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - vfromlmf - 07-07-2023

Fun with slicing & dicing the roster:

Five scoring guards: Luka, Kyrie, Hardy, Curry, THJ
Four rim rolling centers: Lively, Powell, Holmes, McGee
Three 3&D forwards: Williams, Kleber, Omax
Two defensive point-of-attack guards: Green, Exum

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - Jym - 07-07-2023

I wonder how many wins it'd add if we just dumped Kidd and ran with Dudley as head coach
Seems like he'll be areal good one at some point

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - MFFL - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 03:26 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: He had absolutely no reason to do this, but by doing this he let the Mavs offer up a heftier offer for Thybulle.

Holmes gained a lot of respect from me today. I hope he works out.

I really do miss those sheets. Thankfully MavsCBA on Twitter makes some pretty good ones too, although I prefer the way Kamm formatted them

[Image: F0UTBLqWYAAreIo?format=jpg&name=large]

I think that is the old sheet before Holmes waived his trade kicker. This one is the newest one (I think)

https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/1677433065415622657/photo/1

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - F Gump - 07-07-2023

Here's a look at where the Mavs actually are officially, at the moment, compared to where they are reportedly heading. (Is there some way to simply post a spreadsheet? I don't see a command that allows one to be inserted, so this is the best I can offer.)

Actual

LUKA      $40,064,220
KYRIE     $38,888,889
THJ        $17,897,728
HOLMES  $12,046,200
KLEBER   $11,000,000
BULLOCK $10,489,600
MCGEE     $5,734,280
GREEN     $4,765,339
HARDY     $1,719,864
PICK 12 hold $4,775,640
PICK 24 hold  $2,733,720
Thybulle Offer $10,476,190

TOTAL (12)  $160,591,670
Salary Cap     $136,021,000
Under cap    ($24,570,670)
Tax Line        $165,294,000
Under tax      $4,702,330
Apron 1 Line  $172,346,000
Under Apron  $11,754,330
Apron 2 line   $182,794,000

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - SleepingHero - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 06:06 PM)F Gump Wrote: Here's a look at where the Mavs actually are officially, at the moment, compared to where they are reportedly heading. (Is there some way to simply post a spreadsheet? I don't see a command that allows one to be inserted, so this is the best I can offer.)

Actual

LUKA      $40,064,220
KYRIE     $38,888,889
THJ        $17,897,728
HOLMES  $12,046,200
KLEBER   $11,000,000
BULLOCK $10,489,600
MCGEE     $5,734,280
GREEN     $4,765,339
HARDY     $1,719,864
PICK 12 hold $4,775,640
PICK 24 hold  $2,733,720
Thybulle Offer $10,476,190

TOTAL (12)  $160,591,670
Salary Cap     $136,021,000
Under cap    ($24,570,670)
Tax Line        $165,294,000
Under tax      $4,702,330
Apron 1 Line  $172,346,000
Under Apron  $11,754,330
Apron 2 line   $182,794,000

Easiest way is to take a screenshot of the excel and post it as a picture. 

In either case, this works well enough and gets the point across. Thanks for the work FGump!!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to AnaMaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - Chicagojk - 07-07-2023

Some Mavs talk on todays Lowe post. Both liked the moves but wondered if they even make play I. Next year. Lowe thought the starting lineup may be Luka, kyrie, green/hardaway, Grant, Powell. He wondered if those three are good enough in the real tough west.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to AnaMaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - KillerLeft - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 07:47 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Some Mavs talk on todays Lowe post.  Both liked the moves but wondered if they even make play I. Next year.  Lowe thought the starting lineup may be Luka, kyrie, green/hardaway, Grant, Powell.  He wondered if those three are good enough in the real tough west.

All fair, imo.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to AnaMaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - Branduil - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 07:47 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Some Mavs talk on todays Lowe post. Both liked the moves but wondered if they even make play I. Next year. Lowe thought the starting lineup may be Luka, kyrie, green/hardaway, Grant, Powell. He wondered if those three are good enough in the real tough west.

Well we already have multiple years of experience to know that Powell can't be a starting center and he's not gonna be better at 32, so if Holmes or Lively can't pass him or we don't trade for a better C it's going to be a long year.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to AnaMaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - KillerLeft - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 08:00 PM)Branduil Wrote: Well we already have multiple years of experience to know that Powell can't be a starting center and he's not gonna be better at 32, so if Holmes or Lively can't pass him or we don't trade for a better C it's going to be a long year.

But one that develops a new, up and coming team with some interesting young players!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to AnaMaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - Smitty - 07-07-2023

https://twitter.com/grantafseth/status/1677492775410098176?s=46&t=4w35gotNXtBJnqxbaL7e9w

Summer Mavs coach Jared Dudley has focused on shell defensive principles with rookies Dereck Lively II and Olivier-Maxence Prosper. Dudley envisions Prosper being ready to contribute in Year 1.

"First, you always try to do our shell defensive principles, they've been doing it mentally. Now, it's physically and seeing what the pace [looks like] because they're excited. A couple of hiccups early on of when to rotate [and] whose rotation it was. Once you went over it with them, they never made the same mistake twice. And that's crucial. A lot of these young players, the reason why it's difficult for them to stay in the league is they keep making the same mistake twice.

"You could tell [Omax] is a mature player. I could see him for us, even this coming season, because of how he is defensively. He's going to be a huge addition. ... I have to integrate these guys slowly, knock on wood, don't want anybody getting hurt, and just throw them out there for 30, 40 minutes. It wouldn't be smart for me [to do that]."

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to AnaMaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - Branduil - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 08:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: But one that develops a new, up and coming team with some interesting young players!

That's true, but I would be a little disappointed in Lively if he isn't better than Powell this year.

(07-07-2023, 08:44 PM)Branduil Wrote: That's true, but I would be a little disappointed in Lively if he isn't better than Powell this year.

I really think you’re so focused on what Powell can’t do that you’re missing what he can do. He’s not perfect (far from it) but he’s a good player. 

I swear to god, half the battle with Kyrie (and now Green and Williams, both of whom can handle and pass a bit) is just running every time in transition (check), setting great screens (check) and rolling hard EVERY time (check). I also think his defensive positioning, basketball IQ and ability to move his feet are all underrated. 

Honestly, I don’t have an opinion (yet) on who should be playing center, but I sure am glad they didn’t just throw Powell in the trash. He’ll find a way to help this team.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka proposes to AnaMaria! Mavs hire 3 assistants - Chicagojk - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 07:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: All fair, imo.

I think it is fair.  Although , I am not a fan of the other guy Lowe had on.   

I think the Mavs are better than last year.   I am just not sure how much better.  Time will tell.  I am confident they are much better positioned moving forward though.  Again, time will tell if that is right as well.   

Regarding the National media on the Mavs, a few points:

1) I will not get upset anytime in the future if they say that getting in business with Kyrie is a bad bet.   He has earned that reputation.  I hope it proves false though.  I share the same fears.   I did enjoy watching him play as a Mavs though.  I just hope we can just worry about basketball though.   

2) When I hear that Luka and Kyrie didn't work, it bothers me.  Last year was DOA....for several reasons.   I think the Mavs have made the correct calculation this offseason of the type of players you need to surround Luka and Kyrie with.   Just because last year was a tire fire, doesn't mean the Mavs should have concluded they are a lost cause playing with each other.   Maybe it doesn't work out.   But I think they are looking to build the roster correctly around Luka and Kyrie.

3) The West is good and really deep.   But I think some are forgetting how good Luka is.   Just last offseason, the take was if you have Luka your team should win close to 50 games.   That didn't happen last year.   But again, I think the Mavs are trying to surround him with the right type of players that will allow Luka to be Luka.

(07-07-2023, 09:17 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I really think you’re so focused on what Powell can’t do that you’re missing what he can do. He’s not perfect (far from it) but he’s a good player. 

I swear to god, half the battle with Kyrie (and now Green and Williams, both of whom can handle and pass a bit) is just running every time in transition (check), setting great screens (check) and rolling hard EVERY time (check). I also think his defensive positioning, basketball IQ and ability to move his feet are all underrated. 

Honestly, I don’t have an opinion (yet) on who should be playing center, but I sure am glad they didn’t just throw Powell in the trash. He’ll find a way to help this team.

I'm well aware of what he can do, it's just that none of that matters in the playoffs compared to what he can't do. The Mavs got super-lucky two years ago in that Maxi was healthy enough to soak up the majority of center minutes AND they faced two inept teams who couldn't punish their miniature frontline. The second they faced a competent team in GS they got destroyed, and we saw what happened last year when Powell was their best center.

I swear to God Mavs fans are the only ones I've ever seen massively overrate a center who can "set picks" or "catch lobs from Luka Doncic" as if that overrides being unable to protect the rim in any way or grab a fucking rebound.

(07-07-2023, 09:24 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think it is fair.  Although , I am not a fan of the other guy Lowe had on.   

I think the Mavs are better than last year.   I am just not sure how much better.  Time will tell.  I am confident they are much better positioned moving forward though.  Again, time will tell if that is right as well.   

Regarding the National media on the Mavs, a few points:

1) I will not get upset anytime in the future if they say that getting in business with Kyrie is a bad bet.   He has earned that reputation.  I hope it proves false though.  I share the same fears.   I did enjoy watching him play as a Mavs though.  I just hope we can just worry about basketball though.   

2) When I hear that Luka and Kyrie didn't work, it bothers me.  Last year was DOA....for several reasons.   I think the Mavs have made the correct calculation this offseason of the type of players you need to surround Luka and Kyrie with.   Just because last year was a tire fire, doesn't mean the Mavs should have concluded they are a lost cause playing with each other.   Maybe it doesn't work out.   But I think they are looking to build the roster correctly around Luka and Kyrie.

3) The West is good and really deep.   But I think some are forgetting how good Luka is.   Just last offseason, the take was if you have Luka your team should win close to 50 games.   That didn't happen last year.   But again, I think the Mavs are trying to surround him with the right type of players that will allow Luka to be Luka.

I agree with all of the above. Great stuff. I think #3 is the most crucial.

It kind of flew under the radar because he was still putting up numbers, but for most of last year, especially the 2nd half, Luka just didn’t look like himself to me. There was something missing. I don’t know if he was going through something in his personal life, hated his teammates, just wasn’t having fun or what, but there was an uninspired quality to his season that wasn’t there the previous few years. If the Mavs can fix that, it’s going to make a difference, obviously.

(07-07-2023, 09:27 PM)Branduil Wrote: I'm well aware of what he can do, it's just that none of that matters in the playoffs compared to what he can't do. The Mavs got super-lucky two years ago in that Maxi was healthy enough to soak up the majority of center minutes AND they faced two inept teams who couldn't punish their miniature frontline. The second they faced a competent team in GS they got destroyed, and we saw what happened last year when Powell was their best center.

I swear to God Mavs fans are the only ones I've ever seen massively overrate a center who can "set picks" or "catch lobs from Luka Doncic" as if that overrides being unable to protect the rim in any way or grab a fucking rebound.

Well, I’m not trying to argue - you are free to be upset, if that’s what you wish. But, I think your first sentence is a gross overstatement. 

Also, I value setting picks because it’s the key to the spread pick and roll offense that the Mavs are locked into for the duration of Luka’s stay here. About five years ago I would’ve thought that skill, along with simply running, were easily replaceable, but I’ve watched player after player be tried in Powell’s place, some of whom were getting max money, and I have learned that it’s actually not a super common skill set.