MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Jym - 07-05-2023

(07-05-2023, 11:37 PM)The Jom Wrote: Kinda moot now. But let me say I agree with you. Same problem when it was Dirk. Had to put a versatile SF and C next to him and let him defend the lesser threat. Didn’t mean Dirk wasn’t a PF. 

The solutions I see are (1) Luka starts defending, which is really the only way the Mavs sniff another Larry, and (2) need long, versatile defenders everywhere else besides the Batman and Robin positions, which looks a lot like what they’ve been doing this offseason.

In good news it really is more of a mental thing with Luka instead of a physical thing.
When he locks in and tries, he's actually surprisingly decent. Even when he gets mismatched on a center they have trouble getting an easy score. So strong

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Dundalis - 07-06-2023

(07-05-2023, 11:37 PM)The Jom Wrote: Kinda moot now. But let me say I agree with you. Same problem when it was Dirk. Had to put a versatile SF and C next to him and let him defend the lesser threat. Didn’t mean Dirk wasn’t a PF. 

The solutions I see are (1) Luka starts defending, which is really the only way the Mavs sniff another Larry, and (2) need long, versatile defenders everywhere else besides the Batman and Robin positions, which looks a lot like what they’ve been doing this offseason.

Luka defending will be both a conditioning thing, but also being surrounded by guys who can actually pick up their end of the defensive stick will help him immensely.

I'm also intrigued by potential small ball lineups next year with Williams at the 5 and Luka defending the 4.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - omahen - 07-06-2023

(07-06-2023, 01:30 AM)Dundalis Wrote: Luka defending will be both a conditioning thing, but also being surrounded by guys who can actually pick up their end of the defensive stick will help him immensely.

I'm also intrigued by potential small ball lineups next year with Williams at the 5 and Luka defending the 4.

I am not worried about Luka defense at all. When it matters! When he gives his maximum. It is a lot about motivation for him and he can't motivate himself for every regular season game, specially against the bottom feeders. I don't think any player actually can do that for 82 games of the season. They all have additional gears for the games that really matter. One of Mavs biggest issues last season was, there was literally no one to pick up when Luka didn't play in his highest gear. If he didn't give his maximum on defense, it just fell apart. If he didn't give his maximum on offense, it was really bad. Mavs basically only won games in which Luka went supernova. 

I hope all the changes this season and Kyrie will help especially during regular season. I think we know we don't need to worry about Luka being supernova in playoffs.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Jym - 07-06-2023

(07-06-2023, 03:37 AM)omahen Wrote: I am not worried about Luka defense at all. When it matters! When he gives his maximum. It is a lot about motivation for him and he can't motivate himself for every regular season game, specially against the bottom feeders. I don't think any player actually can do that for 82 games of the season. They all have additional gears for the games that really matter. One of Mavs biggest issues last season was, there was literally no one to pick up when Luka didn't play in his highest gear. If he didn't give his maximum on defense, it just fell apart. If he didn't give his maximum on offense, it was really bad. Mavs basically only won games in which Luka went supernova. 

I hope all the changes this season and Kyrie will help especially during regular season. I think we know we don't need to worry about Luka being supernova in playoffs.

So excited to see what MVP level Luka can do alongside Kyrie
By the time Kyrie showed up last year Luka was already exhausted mentally and physically and banged up. Still put up some ok numbers but he wasn't putting near the same level of pressure on the defense

RE: MAVS NEWS:Mavs hire 3 assistant coaches Brogamer (CLE), Jensen (UTA), and Gates (PHX) - SleepingHero - 07-06-2023

https://twitter.com/mavspr/status/1676992309957623822?s=46&t=xNHF873rjt7IFVxyn62T2g

Mavs PR (@MavsPR)
The Dallas Mavericks have acquired the draft rights to 12th overall pick Dereck Lively II from the Oklahoma City Thunder in exchange for Dāvis Bertāns and the draft rights to 10th overall pick Cason Wallace.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - vfromlmf - 07-07-2023

Good summer so far but how much better is this team?

'22-23 ------------> 23-24
October Starters
Luka --------------> Luka
Dinwiddie --------> Kyrie (Adds offense)
Bullock ------------> Green (Adds energy, subtracts experience & shooting. Thybulle would've been nice)
DFS ----------------> Williams (Is GW an upgrade over DFS?)
McGee -------------> Lively (Doubt DL starts, but should get 8 min / half)
Bench
Kleber --------------> Kleber
Wood ---------------> Holmes (Remains to be seen what RH brings)
THJ -----------------> THJ
Powell --------------> Powell
Green ---------------> Hardy / Curry (Adds offense, subtracts defense & size)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - dirkfansince1998 - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 11:28 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Good summer so far but how much better is this team?

October Starters
Bullock ------------> Green (Adds energy, subtracts experience & shooting. Thybulle would've been nice)
Bench

Another way to look at it. The Mavs basically got rid of all net negatives (except for McGee...work in progress if we can trust the reports) based on +/- and on/off numbers.
Not to mention that the "new" team is younger and actually has some legit upside. Instead of hoping that random vet x/y/z makes it trough another season without breaking down the Mavs have a young core that can take minutes from the vets.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - KillerLeft - 07-07-2023

One thing that doesn’t get acknowledged enough is that TDL deals are almost never effective for the rest of that season. Continuity matters, especially as the league tries to move closer and closer to the NFL model of player movement and parity.

Those who were really excited about the Kyrie Irving trade should be stoked about seeing how this will work after a training camp.

I also think Omax and Grant are both going to make an impact here that is being heavily, heavily slept on. There has been so much focus on the 5 position that people are forgetting what really matters - long, versatile defenders.

I think the team is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than last season. The West is deeper right now than at any time in the league’s history, probably, so they might still miss the playoffs or be a play-in team, but that’s not a reason to trade their three best assets for a guy who won’t really improve the outlook of the next 5 years just to give fans another fun name to write in their debates about lineup ideas and minutes projections.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - vfromlmf - 07-07-2023

It will definitely be different. It's Luka and three or four new starters. Younger, but less experienced. Chemistry will need to be developed.

Bench is sort-of opposite. It's a veteran group (plus Hardy) and four of the rotation guys have played together for a long time. Interestingly Curry, THJ, Kleber and Powell could've started alongside Luka in 2018.

I like OMAX but want to see him at least play a summer league game before penciling him into the rotation.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - ItsGoTime - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 11:28 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Good summer so far but how much better is this team?

October Starters
Bench
I think Kyrie is not only better on offense but defensively over SD as well. That difference alone is enough to get us out of the play-in IMO. I also fully agree with what KL said about a full training camp (and have said so in the past, also Kyrie said it at the end of the season too). 

If those pictures and reports about Luka working hard in the offseason are true and accurate, he is going to be a beast this year (unlike before). If he’s on a mission, I’m not putting anything past him.

Bullock to Green? Really? Pinson would be an improvement, did you see that triple double game??? Bullock may bounce back this year, but last year he had no business being on the court for the role he was supposed to play. Green is a pretty big upgrade even if he stays stagnant to 22-23 Bullock. Hoping for another big jump though.

DFS to Williams. Here’s the thing, the hope is that GWill is better than 21-22 DFS cause last year, his defense slipped as well. If their defense is at least a wash (from 21-22), I have no doubt GWill’s offense is better.

I think the C group should probably be put on display in this scenario cause we have the benefit of knowing how it played out last season but have no idea how it will this one.

Powell        Powell
Holmes       McGee
Lively         Wood
Maxi           Maxi

Holmes and Lively are total wildcards in this. The duo just has to be better than Wood for this team. That’s offense for defense, so I’m liking the odds that we are better there.

Bench I think is deeper, especially if OMax impresses and Exum can be better than Burk (I realize he wasn’t on last year’s team, but the role was missed IMO.).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - omahen - 07-07-2023

Holmes waived his trade kicker

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1677370614334488576

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - KillerLeft - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 12:35 PM)omahen Wrote: Holmes waived his trade kicker

It’s a small thing, but that’s a good sign, I think. Tells us he’s really happy to be in Dallas, specifically.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - MFFL - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 12:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It’s a small thing, but that’s a good sign, I think. Tells us he’s really happy to be in Dallas, specifically.

Huge thing when your salary is $12m

Right about now is when @kammrath would start providing us with accurate long term roster/cap commitment graphics pinned into one of these threads. Gotta say, I miss that.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - cow - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 12:53 PM)MFFL Wrote: Huge thing when your salary is $12m

He'll "recoup" some of that money by playing and living in Texas.  Probably helped make the decision a little easier.  Massive props to him and no better way to ingratiate yourself into team.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - SkenfromLMF - 07-07-2023

Question for Dan and FGump - or anyone else wanting to boast of CBA technician status:

OFFICIALLY Dallas has not made a move that hard caps them YET. The Williams S&T and Curry being BAE are not listed among the official transactions on NBA.com. (They list them, but only according to sources - whereas the Holmes and Bertans deals are "official" status.

WITH that said, Could Dallas conceivably do something (S&T Wood) that would take them over the Apron BEFORE a HARD CAP trigger event is official, get back under the Apron, and then make the moves that would trigger the HARD CAP official?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - F Gump - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 01:35 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Question for Dan and FGump - or anyone else wanting to boast of CBA technician status:

OFFICIALLY Dallas has not made a move that hard caps them YET. The Williams S&T and Curry being BAE are not listed among the official transactions on NBA.com. (They list them, but only according to sources - whereas the Holmes and Bertans deals are "official" status.

WITH that said, Could Dallas conceivably do something (S&T Wood) that would take them over the Apron BEFORE a HARD CAP trigger event is official, get back under the Apron, and then make the moves that would trigger the HARD CAP official?

Yes, a hard cap trigger is not retroactive. A hard cap is not applicable until one of the hard cap triggering events happens.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - SleepingHero - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 12:35 PM)omahen Wrote: Holmes waived his trade kicker

He had absolutely no reason to do this, but by doing this he let the Mavs offer up a heftier offer for Thybulle.

Holmes gained a lot of respect from me today. I hope he works out.

(07-07-2023, 01:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Right about now is when @kammrath would start providing us with accurate long term roster/cap commitment graphics pinned into one of these threads. Gotta say, I miss that.

I really do miss those sheets. Thankfully MavsCBA on Twitter makes some pretty good ones too, although I prefer the way Kamm formatted them

[Image: F0UTBLqWYAAreIo?format=jpg&name=large]

(07-07-2023, 03:26 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: He had absolutely no reason to do this, but by doing this he let the Mavs offer up a heftier offer for Thybulle.

Holmes gained a lot of respect from me today. I hope he works out.

It also increases the remaining portion of that trade exception and gets them further away from Apron 1. Or, if you’re thinking like FGump suggested the Mavs might be earlier, it makes staying under the luxury tax line easier. 

Pretty significant development.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Bertans trade finalized. Mavs hire 3 assistants - Winter - 07-07-2023

And Luka gets married.

Whoop!

Luka Dončić proposed to his longtime girlfriend Anamaria Goltes tonight in Lake Bled, Slovenia. Congrats to the happy couple!