MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Winter - 07-04-2023

In my opinion, Bamba would only make sense if Powell wasn't a Maverick. The addition of Bamba simply gives you 3 centers who would have difficulty playing heavy minutes - although you might have slightly better rim protection with that group. Bamba has had difficulty being healthy and goes long stretches without being able to play at all.

The Mavericks need a center who can rebound and protect the rim (besides a rookie draft pick). Cuban and Nico have both said as much. They probably can't acquire the perfect center now, so I suspect they would like to at least get a veteran starter 4 or 5 who has some length and can rebound - and a 5 versatile enough to play 20-30 minutes a game.

We can't continue to be small lightweights under the basket.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 07-04-2023

(07-04-2023, 10:58 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Both good defenders, but only against guards, not forwards.

I agree that PJ and Grant Williams would fit our need in a much more obvious way than Thybulle and also agree that he's probably not a full MLE player (or a starter on a contender unless he can shoot 38%+ for a full season) but I do think that you're slightly overstating the Thybulle only defends guards narrative.  You look up his defensive highlights and the vast majority of them are certainly at the point of attack but there's a ton of clips of him matching up with Tatum, Brown, KD, Jerami Grant, Harden and plenty of other players that we'd be asking this mystery free agent we don't have on roster to guard.  Keep in mind the the majority of the time he was playing when he was getting all defense nods, he was on the floor with Ben Simmons who was built to guard everything off the ball so Thybulle wasn't asked to do that as much as he probably could.

Is asking him to guard forwards the best way to use him?  Probably not but we had DFS guarding guards where needed until Reggie got here because we had no other option and it worked out for the most part.  I just want us to get back to the conference finals defense that was flying around everywhere and switching on everything and I think he can help us get closer to that.

I'm with you that the other two are better options but I also think Thybulle would not be a bad one is all I'm saying.

Now let's sign him and one of the other two so we can use them all exactly how'd we like, that sounds better anyway.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - KillerLeft - 07-04-2023

(07-04-2023, 11:07 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I was trying to be a little playful with the gif as PJ definitely isn't just a 3 but I'll bite cause I'm just so confused why you keep making the argument that Thybulle and Frank are in the same league. 

That’s not the argument, though. The ceiling of Thubulle’s defense is irrelevant if he can’t be on the floor in big situations because of offensive incompetency. If you watch the playoffs, it’s clear that teams have learned that you simply can’t win going 3 or 4 on 5 anymore. This is why Philly, a contender with need of better defense, was so hellbent on removing Thybulle from their roster for a couple of years. 

If you time warped the 2011 Mavs into today, they couldn’t get away with playing TY and Marion at the same time. One or the other, sure, but if Chandler is the screener, there’s nothing in the realm of modern spacing that Marion can do other than get in the way. 

This is also why it would be RIDICULOUS to spend even MORE resources on yet ANOTHER center, the position least likely to yield a player who can hang in 100% of the situations the team will face along their way. With only a few exceptions, center has become a “platoon a variety of different types” position, and to anyone thinking, that should SCREAM “cheap.” The SINGLE WORST team building choice a team can make in 2023 is to tie max or near max money up into a player who will sit and watch important games get decided the way you and I will.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - DanSchwartzgan - 07-04-2023

(07-04-2023, 11:08 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I view Powell as Lively insurance plus a great guy to have on the roster.  Similar to how I view Curry as Hardy insurance.

I’m glad someone else thinks this about Curry.

(07-04-2023, 10:47 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Thanks for the in-depth breakdown.

I know you've been on PJ for quite some time as a potential Maxi replacement. I see the benefits and think he can fit well here. Just depends on if the Mavs can actually get him.

Still I believe the need for a center that can actually rebound when you're going that small is imperative. Outside of Lively, I don't really see the personnel to fill that need, and expecting Lively to be that day 1 might be too much.

I was also fantasy trading for Holmes back when he was with Philly.  I’m like everyone else…I’d love an upgrade at center.  I want Lively to get 18-20 minutes every night, but he’s not ready to start (and the team has specifically said they will bring him along slowly).  With that said, I’d rather play with what we have than make a bad trade for a center.  We have Holmes, Powell, Maxi and (presumably) PJ who all present something different at the position.  It isn’t ideal,  but I think Holmes will surprise us to the upside.

What I think I’d rather see is THJ for PJ (with PJ making a little less than THJ) which gets us back to full MLE still being available.  THEN, go get Thybulle (I like converting Seth to MLE and spending the rest on Thybulle and saving the BAE).  Look at what this does to your D (note that I run nine deep in the first and second unit as either Kyrie or Luka will be there also:

Holmes.   Lively.         Powell

PJ.          Maxi.           OMax

Green.                       Reggie
              Thybulle
Luka.                         Curry
              Hardy
Kyrie.                         Exam

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - KillerLeft - 07-04-2023

(07-04-2023, 11:12 AM)mvossman Wrote: I think thybulle is one of the best defenders in the game, a little longer than frank, and a better shooter. I think next to Luka and kyrie he would be a passable shooter (something frank was not) and elite defender. In a perfect world we could send out Timmy+ for PJ and get thybulle with mle

The whole “he’ll shoot better next to Luka” angle has occurred to me, and is a good point. In the Mavs’ situation, with the MLE money (whether through FA or an equivalent trade) being the only swing they really have, I just don’t like to bet on that, sorry.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - mvossman - 07-04-2023

(07-04-2023, 11:22 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Exactly. That´s the whole point. I laid out the case for Bamba. He´s played for rebuilding teams his whole career with (awful) young score first PGs. He was injured the whole time on the Lakers and I think that´s actually the biggest problem. He just can´t seem to stay healthy.

But here is a funny comparison.

Tyson Chandler 

Season 5 (in Chicago) averaged  5 PPG, 9.3 RPG,  1.3 BPG.
Season 6 (in NO with CP3) averaged  11.8 PPG, 11.7 RPG, 1.8 BPG.
Season 8 (in Charlotte with DJ Augustin)  averaged 6.5 PPG, 6.3 RPG, 1.1 BPG.
Season 9-11 (in Dallas/New York with Kidd/Billups) averaged 11/11.

PGs matter to the type of center Tyson/Bamba are and he´s never played with an above average PG in his whole career.

There is more to being a good defender than blocked shots. He has always had a negative defensive impact on the court, most likely due to his limited lateral movement and lack of defensive awareness to make up for it. 

I would also argue that it does not make sense to have more than one project at a given position. We need all development minutes going to lively with the rest going to seasoned vets (Holmes, Powell, maxi)

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Mavs2021 - 07-04-2023

(07-04-2023, 11:35 AM)mvossman Wrote: There is more to being a good defender than blocked shots. He has always had a negative defensive impact on the court, most likely due to his limited lateral movement and lack of defensive awareness to make up for it. 

I would also argue that it does not make sense to have more than one project at a given position. We need all development minutes going to lively with the rest going to seasoned vets (Holmes, Powell, maxi)

Well he was +4.1 ON/OFF last season, so maybe he started figure some things out.

I don´t see the problem. He competes with Holmes and Powell for minutes. If he outplays them, he gets the minutes. If he does not, he does not. Don´t see how that impacts Lively.

The only reason Powell is a seasoned vet, is that he did not play the first three years of his NBA career with MCW. If that had happened, the only vet he could have become, was an animal doctor. Wink

(07-04-2023, 11:27 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I’m glad someone else thinks this about Curry.

I was also fantasy trading for Holmes back when he was with Philly.  I’m like everyone else…I’d love an upgrade at center.  I want Lively to get 18-20 minutes every night, but he’s not ready to start (and the team has specifically said they will bring him along slowly).  With that said, I’d rather play with what we have than make a bad trade for a center.  We have Holmes, Powell, Maxi and (presumably) PJ who all present something different at the position.  It isn’t ideal,  but I think Holmes will surprise us to the upside.

What I think I’d rather see is THJ for PJ (with PJ making a little less than THJ) which gets us back to full MLE still being available.  THEN, go get Thybulle (I like converting Seth to MLE and spending the rest on Thybulle and saving the BAE).  Look at what this does to your D (note that I run nine deep in the first and second unit as either Kyrie or Luka will be there also:

Holmes.   Lively.         Powell

PJ.          Maxi.           OMax

Green.                       Reggie
              Thybulle
Luka.                         Curry
              Hardy
Kyrie.                         Exam

Love this. 

If Thybulle gets less (significantly less, I hope) than the MLE, I’m all about it.

I, personally, think the 5 has been Kleber’s best position for a WHILE now, and would only consider playing him at the 4 in situations where extreme size is called for. If that means you only play him 15 minutes, so be it. Those are still likely to be the team’s most effective 15 minutes of the game. 

I would also stop short of penciling Holmes in over Powell on the pecking order, personally. But, your overall point is a good one - between centers Powell, Kleber and Holmes, along with swing 4/5 Washington, that’s more than enough bigs. It will already be difficult to find developmental minutes for Lively without adding another. 

Yes, paint protection and rebounding will still be weaknesses of the team, but not more so than the WCF season, and the defense, depth and (hopefully, if Kidd has a clue) spacing should be improved enough to make it all feel like progress, imho.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Chicagojk - 07-04-2023

Smile

https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/1676273890597765120?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Chicagojk - 07-04-2023

https://twitter.com/nickvanexit/status/1676275002369351691?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-04-2023

https://heavy.com/sports/dallas-mavericks/kyrie-irving-contract-luka-doncic/

Good read..

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Mavs2021 - 07-04-2023

[Image: bored-boring.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - MFFL - 07-04-2023

(07-03-2023, 10:05 AM)kamnrath Wrote: No need to try and get creative on trades or even SnT's.  Nico has no clue on the how the salary cap works enough to get created, and I'm not sure they have a good support staff that does either, and I'm still convinced Mark Cuban reads the wrong draft of the CBA every year.  They have no apparent clue how FA will go each season.

I'm sure Dennis Lindsey understands the salary cap. He's been GM or an assistant GM for 14 years.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - RoyTarpleysGhost - 07-04-2023

Seems odd how openly they are shopping THJ. Of course no one from the team has said it but Cato said the Mavs will have failed if THJ or McGee are still on the team next year. There was also the bit from the Phoenix guy about Luka doesn't want to play with THJ any more.

Even with a declining contract, 38.5% from three last year, and what looked like improved defense, there doesn't seem to be much interest in him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - SleepingHero - 07-04-2023

[Image: image0.jpg]

(07-04-2023, 01:33 PM)MFFL Wrote: I'm sure Dennis Lindsey understands the salary cap. He's been GM or an assistant GM for 14 years.

I get that Nico might have gotten better at his job, but if we are honest the only change to last year is Lindsey, an actual NBA executive with a proven track record. That´s the ONLY reason that I´m still somewhat hopeful that they make good use of the rest of free agency and it does not end as pathetic as last summer.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - omahen - 07-04-2023

Mavs add assistant coach. It is more and more obvious, who is pulling the strings now.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1676306299951149076

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Tyler - 07-04-2023

Dallas is adding Alex Jensen to the coaching staff.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1676306299951149076

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - omahen - 07-04-2023

Seems like well respected coach

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1676307624986566656

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1676308224444624924

I didn't know Mavs fired 3 assistant coaches. I only notices St.Jean going away

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1676310569597431808