MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - ThisIStheYear - 07-03-2023

I wonder though, about Wood. He did start following the Mavs again after all. Is the bridge completely burned? Dropping Dimes is saying Toronto is looking at a franchise altering trade. If say, for example, the Mavs sent a package of Hardy, Green, and THJ for Siakam (plus whatever else on both sides makes the numbers work), then the Mavs would have their own version of a super team with three all stars in their primes, including one supremo level talent, to almost exactly counteract Phoenix. Phoenix would have Ayton, but the Mavs would probably have more depth (if the draft picks can play) and remaining salary flexibility. The problem then would be that the Mavs shipped out all of their bench scoring. Getting 18 efficient points from Wood off the bench in that scenario would look pretty good. He’s apparently not going to be super expensive and since we have his Bird rights, that must convey some advantage under the CBA for additional roster building. Seems like you could still make an RFA play for Grant Williams. And then, you have your squad to go into battle with for two shots at a title.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Mavs2021 - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 09:58 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Look, I don’t fully understand what’s SO wrong with Wood (he must be a handful, behind the scenes, or something) but if nobody wanted him as an expiring at the deadline and nobody wants him now, as a FA, I struggle to imagine what kind of deal Dallas could give him that would make him an asset in the way you’re describing.

Boston and Dallas have already decided that Dallas will offer Williams the full MLE and that Boston will then sign Wood with the taxpayer MLE of $5M as his replacement. It´s just that nobody has told Wood yet. Tongue

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Chicagojk - 07-03-2023

From Cato latest article

There are three more players under contract — Tim Hardaway Jr., JaVale McGee, and Richaun Holmes — who Dallas is attempting to trade. Holmes is the likeliest of the three to stick around, while Hardaway and McGee can’t be on Dallas’ roster if the front office wants to conclude its offseason in the way they envisioned.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Okstate819 - 07-03-2023

Based on Cato article they would like to acquire Grant Williams via S&T and then convert Seth to MLE, Use rest of the MLE on Thybulle.... Would be awesome to add these two guys as your 3/4 defensive combo. In this scenario, I would then pivot to sell high on Green if it could land you Allen. Gives you 3 excellent defenders surrounding your two stars.

Trade THJ to SA via 3 team deal that acquires Grant Williams ($14million AAV), Acquire Thybulle using rest of MLE ($8 million AAV), Trade Green, Bullock, Mcgee, 2027 1st for Allen.

PG - Luka
SG - Kyrie
SF - Thybulle
PF - Williams
C - Allen
B - Kleber
B - Curry
B - Hardy
B - Holmes
B - Lively
B - Powell
B - Omax
B - Exum

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - BigDirk41 - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 12:48 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: Based on Cato article they would like to acquire Grant Williams via S&T and then convert Seth to MLE, Use rest of the MLE on Thybulle.... Would be awesome to add these two guys as your 3/4 defensive combo. In this scenario, I would then pivot to sell high on Green if it could land you Allen. Gives you 3 excellent defenders surrounding your two stars.

Trade THJ to SA via 3 team deal that acquires Grant Williams ($14million AAV), Acquire Thybulle using rest of MLE ($8 million AAV), Trade Green, Bullock, Mcgee, 2027 1st for Allen.

PG - Luka
SG - Kyrie
SF - Thybulle
PF - Williams
C - Allen
B - Kleber
B - Curry
B - Hardy
B - Holmes
B - Lively
B - Powell
B - Omax
B - Exum

This team would exceed my expectations for next year by a lot and I would be extremely happy with this outcome. I like our chances with defense and Luka/Kyrie to close out teams.

I don't feel like Thybulle can be had for 8 per year, but that would be great if so.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Okstate819 - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 12:50 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: This team would exceed my expectations for next year by a lot and I would be extremely happy with this outcome. I like our chances with defense and Luka/Kyrie to close out teams.

I agree. Thybulle/Williams would be a supercharged version of what DFS/Bullock were in the WCF run. Thybulle great at guarding guards, Williams excels against forwards. Allen is on a great deal and the rim protector we've lacked for years and on a great contract imo.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - cow - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 12:34 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: From Cato latest article

There are three more players under contract — Tim Hardaway Jr., JaVale McGee, and Richaun Holmes — who Dallas is attempting to trade. Holmes is the likeliest of the three to stick around, while Hardaway and McGee can’t be on Dallas’ roster if the front office wants to conclude its offseason in the way they envisioned.

It's a great vision but short of stretch waiving McGee, I don't see how they dump him cleanly and as F Gump pointed out, there isn't much short term benefit to stretch waiving him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - F Gump - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 12:48 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: Based on Cato article they would like to acquire Grant Williams via S&T and then convert Seth to MLE, Use rest of the MLE on Thybulle....

" they would like to ..."

None of those are being reported by Cato as the Mavs ideas. Other than the obvious observation that the Mavs still have holes to fill, and the report that the Mavs have McGee, Hardaway, and Holmes available, the article is just Cato spitballing some ideas that he has come up with. And his knowledge of the CBA and trade rules is only rudimentary, so his trade ideas offer concepts without any explanation of how he thinks the league rules will be satisfied (such as "one potentially ideal conclusion to the Mavericks’ summer could involve a sign-and-trade for Boston Celtics restricted free agent forward Grant Williams and a salary dump involving Hardaway and McGee" with no explanation as to how he thinks that 'salary dump' would be able to be done).

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Chicagojk - 07-03-2023

I hope Mavs have more stuff in the works than hoping for RFA offers. Seems like that will lead to disappointment more times than not. I want to hope they have more things lined up though.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - khaled1987 - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 02:39 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I hope Mavs have more stuff in the works than hoping for RFA offers.  Seems like that will lead to disappointment more times than not.  I want to hope they have more things lined up though.

You weren't impressed with Parsons and Barnes signings?

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - DallasMaverick - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 03:55 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: You weren't impressed with Parsons and Barnes signings?

Wes Matthews and DeAndre Jordan.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - chaparral - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 02:39 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I hope Mavs have more stuff in the works than hoping for RFA offers.  Seems like that will lead to disappointment more times than not.  I want to hope they have more things lined up though.

Every Year on the 4th of July, Mavs Fans seem to only have hope of more to come in the FA summer.  

Here's Hoping we are all shocked at what's to come next this summer...

Happy 4th of July.

Let's Go Mavs...

https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/1675980299795156998?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - cow - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 05:47 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/1675980299795156998?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

Condolences to him.  Good to remember the highs and lows of life can come at you quickly.

Hollinger notes on Mavs being one of the early NBA free agency winners. I would say it is a little early and their final grade will be what they do over the next few weeks. Regardless, after his positive notes about our draft and now this, it is welcoming. We very rarely get postive comments from him. Probably well deserved too.

Dallas brought Dante Exum back from Europe’s KK Partizan Belgrade after a nearly two-plus-year hiatus; he hasn’t played in the NBA since January 2021. Since then, he figured out how to shoot (38.8 percent from 3, 84.7 percent from the line last season across all competitions); he was one of the best players in Europe last season and will still only be 28 when the season starts. This was a canny pull on a one-year minimum.

The Mavs also got a great value by bringing back Dwight Powell for three years and a mere $12 million, and added shooting with Seth Curry’s return; it appears the Powell deal’s dollars are lined up to keep Dallas just below the apron if it uses its full $12.4 million midlevel exception on another player.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - SleepingHero - 07-03-2023

[Image: image0.jpg]

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - SleepingHero - 07-03-2023

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - omahen - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 01:38 PM)F Gump Wrote: " they would like to ..."

None of those are being reported by Cato as the Mavs ideas. Other than the obvious observation that the Mavs still have holes to fill, and the report that the Mavs have McGee, Hardaway, and Holmes available, the article is just Cato spitballing some ideas that he has come up with. And his knowledge of the CBA and trade rules is only rudimentary, so his trade ideas offer concepts without any explanation of how he thinks the league rules will be satisfied (such as "one potentially ideal conclusion to the Mavericks’ summer could involve a sign-and-trade for Boston Celtics restricted free agent forward Grant Williams and a salary dump involving Hardaway and McGee" with no explanation as to how he thinks that 'salary dump' would be able to be done).

Very much agree with this. Cato is a very meh writer regarding FA, team building, player movement, salary cap,... He also doesn't really have (or want to share) any insider information. He is interesting with some pieces about players on a more personal notice (like visit to Slovenia to understand Lukas background), to the readers that have appeal to this kind of reads. Other than that I am pretty dissapointed by the beat writer The Athletic has for Dallas.

(07-03-2023, 09:36 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: image0.jpg]

I am really trying to read if this is legit intel or intel from the past or just educational guessing.   Bamba is tough for me.  I think he never mastered the simple stuff and that is why he is looking for a job for probably under 5 million.  If he did the simple stuff well, he would be a player every team wants.   Only 25 still.   Way too much pick and pop for me...despite having a nice touch.  It he instead played like Powell or Gobert and went to the rim hard, it would be so much better.   

Stein's comment (and I have no idea if the above screenshot is legit) is weird.  So if they moved two centers, then Bamba could be an option?  What happens if they brought in another center?  Or is he talking the center lineup would be Lively, Powell and Bamba?  That seems pretty risky.

(07-03-2023, 10:06 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am really trying to read if this is legit intel or intel from the past or just educational guessing.   Bamba is tough for me.  I think he never mastered the simple stuff and that is why he is looking for a job for probably under 5 million.  If he did the simple stuff well, he would be a player every team wants.   Only 25 still.   Way too much pick and pop for me...despite having a nice touch.  It he instead played like Powell or Gobert and went to the rim hard, it would be so much better.   

Stein's comment (and I have no idea if the above screenshot is legit) is weird.  So if they moved two centers, then Bamba could be an option?  What happens if they brought in another center?  Or is he talking the center lineup would be Lively, Powell and Bamba?  That seems pretty risky.

Yeah... I'm kinda there with you regarding the veracity of the screenshots. I shared them just for a conversation starter and if they are true, is pretty interesting in what the Mavs are thinking.

I am not a Stein subscriber, so I can't go check myself. I do know the 1st screenshot is from a relatively big Mavs fan account so I don't think they'd be the ones to just misrepresent whatever Stein says since they're largely also looking for the truth of what the Mavs plans are. The Bamba thing could be anyone's guess.

Regardless, I do think there is some weight to the Mavs being interested in some RFA's. I just think it might actually be PJ Washington and not either Williams/Thybulle.