MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Mapka - 07-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 03:55 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Thus the words “just as an example”.  Does Siakam work instead?  Who do you like?  I think there is still a path to a couple more players with some size.  I went with Grant because 1. He makes less than the KAT’s, Ayton’s, Siakam’s and Tobias Harris’ of the world and 2. Thybulle was a logical tie in.

Siakam & Harris: much better to me Smile

Ayton as worse.
KAT even worse Smile

I know I have irrational hate towards Grant, but i can´t see anyone liking his new contract.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Chicagojk - 07-02-2023

Just curious if the mavs made the trade for Obi is that the level of PF you are looking for or are you looking for something better?

Mavs lacked the cap space and second round picks but just curious if you would consider it a succcess if that is what that caliber of player was what they wound up with.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - ThisIStheYear - 07-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 06:10 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Went through all the updated rosters. Short thoughts and one trade/move per team, the Mavs could be interested in.

Good analysis, but pretty bleak. Once you get past the one pipe dream (Sengun, an outstanding young player, possible future all star, would never be traded for THJ and a pick) you’re left with the Williams idea and maybe PJ Washington (not nearly the caliber of Sengun so possible?). The Mav’s desperately need a 4 who can swing to the 3 occasionally or has the foot speed to guard wings and the size and athleticism to play defense and rebound at the rim. Without that, they’ll be set on the same course that led to their collapse after the DFS trade — Bullock having to play DFS’s role and Josh playing Bullock’s role.  Both were overmatched by the size and physical requirements for those jobs (Josh is basically just a shooting guard and Bullock is a small forward). If the Mavs can’t find a modern 4, they’ll miss the playoffs again. It’s a fatal flaw.  OMax can do it, but he’s a rookie, and who knows. Luka could sort of do it in his own way, but that’s a terrible idea.   I wonder if someone like Harris is available?  The Mavs may have to do something painful, like give up Hardy, if they really want to fill this need.  I’m on the fence, but starting to agree with something I thought should be off the table.  Hardy may have to be traded. And for me, Obi would actually have worked, though it would be nice to have a higher caliber player in that role. Obi was cheap though.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - soog - 07-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 03:22 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Realizing this is sacrilegious, but I could see something that includes McGee/Reggie/Hardy and #27…so big game hunting, not Grant Williams hunting.

Just as an example…It isn’t too late for Portland to turn J. Grant into a S&T (4 years instead of five).  It would be easy enough to salary match $27mm.  Maybe part of the arrangement is they agree not to match our offer to Thybulle.

Holmes/Lively/Powell
Grant/Maxi/OMax
Luka/THJ
Green/Thybulle
Irving/Seth/Exum

I’d do this in a heart beat but would rather see Green included instead of Hardy.  I’d be open to either. Nothing comes for free, we can’t add talent via trade without giving something up.

Irving/Hardy/Exum
THJ/Curry
Luka/Thybulle
Grant/Maxi/OMax
Holmes/Lively Powel

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Chicagojk - 07-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 08:26 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Good analysis, but pretty bleak. Once you get past the one pipe dream (Sengun, an outstanding young player, possible future all star, would never be traded for THJ and a pick) you’re left with the Williams idea and maybe PJ Washington (not nearly the caliber of Sengun so possible?). The Mav’s desperately need a 4 who can swing to the 3 occasionally or has the foot speed to guard wings and the size and athleticism to play defense and rebound at the rim. Without that, they’ll be set on the same course that led to their collapse after the DFS trade — Bullock having to play DFS’s role and Josh playing Bullock’s role.  Both were overmatched by the size and physical requirements for those jobs (Josh is basically just a shooting guard and Bullock is a small forward). If the Mavs can’t find a modern 4, they’ll miss the playoffs again. It’s a fatal flaw.  OMax can do it, but he’s a rookie, and who knows.  Luka could sort of do it in his own way, but that’s a terrible idea.   I wonder if someone like Harris is available?  The Mavs may have to do something painful, like give up Hardy, if they really want to fill this need.  I’m on the fence, but starting to agree with something I thought should be off the table.  Hardy may have to be traded.  And for me, Obi would actually have worked, though it would be nice to have a higher caliber player in that role.  Obi was cheap though.

In time, Omax could be the ideal 4 in todays NBA and especially with this team.   I have been looking for that 6'8- 6'9 guy and he could be it (a bigger DFS).   Or he could not.   It will probably take him time regardless.  That is why I am so interested in finding a present starting 4 who can hopefully be paired with Omax and give this team a lot of options moving forward.

Luka is the only player off the table on trades.  But I am just not interested in talking about moving Hardy with other teams.  At the least, he will be much more valuable a year or two from now.   For me though, he is my crazy Kyrie insurance, and very potentially the bridge on the post Kyrie era in 2-3 years.   So while he is not untouchable, I would have very little interest looking for trade options when talking with teams.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - khaled1987 - 07-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 08:26 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote:   The Mavs may have to do something painful, like give up Hardy, if they really want to fill this need.  I’m on the fence, but starting to agree with something I thought should be off the table.  Hardy may have to be traded. 

I don't think Hardy will be traded, mainly because his value isn't high enough to warrant it. He is simply not there yet.
For Mavs fans he represents hope of developing into something legit, but for other front offices he is just a nice 2nd round pick who showed flashes in his rookie year. They won't give something meaningful for him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Branduil - 07-02-2023

Hardy is worth more to the Mavs than other teams. It would be a massive mistake to give him up when all of our other shooting guards are aging and will likely decline heavily within a few years.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - soog - 07-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 09:06 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: I don't think Hardy will be traded, mainly because his value isn't high enough to warrant it. He is simply not there yet.
For Mavs fans he represents hope of developing into something legit, but for other front offices he is just a nice 2nd round pick who showed flashes in his rookie year. They won't give something meaningful for him.

While we are normally at risk of being homers and overvaluing our boys in blue, I think you are vastly undervaluing Hardy here. Yes he slid last year, but he successfully demonstrated (especially post Kyrie trade when Luka was injured), that his slide in the draft was unwarranted. If anything, I think it will be hard for the Mavs to get blue back unless they are willing to include either Hardy or Green as outgoing assets.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - ItsGoTime - 07-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 01:15 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think S&T is too myopic.  If we are trading for someone, it doesn’t have to be a free agent.

With the trade spread we have left over from Bertans/Holmes ($12.5mm is $7.5mm plus the $5mm spread between Bertans and Holmes) and expiring Reggie, we can get to $23mm returning.  Add in McGee and it is almost $30mm (because the outgoing crosses $29mm).  Make the outgoing THJ/McGee and you get to really big numbers.

I struggle to see the remaining FA’s being worth that (but I’ve been surprised by a few).  It seems more likely  we are talking about an existing contract at those levels.
This might work in pretty perfectly with my trade for Horford and GWill. The 27 might have to be the casualty to the realization of the horrible assets we have on roster right now. Bullock, McGee and 27 rolled into the Sac trade for Horford and GWill SnT. Maybe they send us a SRP or 2?

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 07-02-2023

No to any Hardy trade that doesn’t return a star. Jerami Grant, and his contract, ain’t it. Trading Josh Green would just create another hole to be filled. I also wouldn’t trade 2027 for anything less than the perfect fitting piece. PJ Washington or Jerami Grant may be borderline that type of guy without Green or Hardy attached.

The West is loaded. We are a year away from being able to offer ‘25&27&30 and Hardaway&Holmes contracts for another big (huge) swing. Maybe Embiid asks out after this season and we trade all the picks and Lively etc. for him? To me, the smart play is to trade Bullock for a band-aid upgrade at the 4 (like Morris and Plumlee if there is a way to also fold him in) see what we have in OMax and Lively, and let Hardy and Green continue to develop.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Reunion Mav - 07-02-2023

Interesting thinking. Keep it coming. It seems very clear to me Nico and his guys are working it. I also think he will and should value our young assets which does require patience.

I keep checking here because more is likely to happen but what happens could be so many things. A couple of us might even turn out to be right.

I do think Exum will fit the role we wanted Frankie N and others to fill. Perimeter guard defense does help your bigs defend. I hope he can make a Luka assisted 3 and dribble penitrate.

I also really like Powell at this price. He does help us win sometimes as long as we no longer have to overly depend on him. Two more years before he reports to our front office which I have been saying about our Stanford great guy for years now.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - surfpuckmd - 07-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 10:41 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: This might work in pretty perfectly with my trade for Horford and GWill. The 27 might have to be the casualty to the realization of the horrible assets we have on roster right now. Bullock, McGee and 27 rolled into the Sac trade for Horford and GWill SnT. Maybe they send us a SRP or 2?

I really like Al Horford and he would fit in here beautifully.  

The problem is he is already 37 years old.  I don't think it's wise to spend our last tradeable draft pick for a 37-year old guy.

Grant Williams is a decent player but I'd rather not sign him to more than the MLE.  He's an average defender, above-average 3-point shooter and does nothing else well.  

I think our 27 1st round pick is worth more than that.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - surfpuckmd - 07-02-2023

I would prefer we go ahead and sign a PF prior to the start of restricted free agency.  Restricted free agents are too risky and we would be in danger of being left with nothing new at PF.  

The only decent options left at PF are Derrick Jones Jr and Christian Wood.  

Jones is a great fit here and likely available for $5 million per year.  He would be my preference. 

I can think of worse things than to bring back Christian Wood though.  I understand that he and Kidd hate each other but Wood was one of our better players last season.  

He provides good 3-point shooting, good rebounding and some rim protection.  I understand that he is a low-IQ player with an occasionally poor attitude.  However, I think his team defense might improve if he didn't change teams every summer.  

I think a 1-year deal for Christian Wood for whatever remains of the MLE would be fine.  If it doesn't work out, he's an expiring contract we can combine with Reggie Bullock to upgrade later in the season.  

Also, I do think Wood can play some PF.  Especially next to Powell who is challenged at rim protection and rebounding.  Most importantly, he's a big improvement over our current starting PF, Reggie Bullock.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - cow - 07-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 09:12 AM)Branduil Wrote: Hardy is worth more to the Mavs than other teams. It would be a massive mistake to give him up when all of our other shooting guards are aging and will likely decline heavily within a few years.

I love Hardy and I think he's the best long term outlook of any Mav.  I'd still be tempted if we could get Siakam but I think the good news is Josh is much more in the mold of players Toronto covets than someone like Hardy.  Still not sure 27FRP + Josh gets you there.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 08:26 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Good analysis, but pretty bleak. Once you get past the one pipe dream (Sengun, an outstanding young player, possible future all star, would never be traded for THJ and a pick) you’re left with the Williams idea and maybe PJ Washington (not nearly the caliber of Sengun so possible?). The Mav’s desperately need a 4 who can swing to the 3 occasionally or has the foot speed to guard wings and the size and athleticism to play defense and rebound at the rim. Without that, they’ll be set on the same course that led to their collapse after the DFS trade — Bullock having to play DFS’s role and Josh playing Bullock’s role.  Both were overmatched by the size and physical requirements for those jobs (Josh is basically just a shooting guard and Bullock is a small forward). If the Mavs can’t find a modern 4, they’ll miss the playoffs again. It’s a fatal flaw.  OMax can do it, but he’s a rookie, and who knows.  Luka could sort of do it in his own way, but that’s a terrible idea.   I wonder if someone like Harris is available?  The Mavs may have to do something painful, like give up Hardy, if they really want to fill this need.  I’m on the fence, but starting to agree with something I thought should be off the table.  Hardy may have to be traded.  And for me, Obi would actually have worked, though it would be nice to have a higher caliber player in that role.  Obi was cheap though.

Mavs 2021, You have a lot of hypothetical deals I'm assuming. I don't believe Minnesota would ever trade Kyle Anderson straight up for Bullock.  Anderson is clearly the better player. Just my take...

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - SleepingHero - 07-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 03:22 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Realizing this is sacrilegious, but I could see something that includes McGee/Reggie/Hardy and #27…so big game hunting, not Grant Williams hunting.

Just as an example…It isn’t too late for Portland to turn J. Grant into a S&T (4 years instead of five).  It would be easy enough to salary match $27mm.  Maybe part of the arrangement is they agree not to match our offer to Thybulle.

Holmes/Lively/Powell
Grant/Maxi/OMax
Luka/THJ
Green/Thybulle
Irving/Seth/Exum

I laughed so hard at the Portland deal for Grant. I called it a wild overpay. For the Mavs to be the ones to end up paying for him would hurt and I'd have to eat a passive pile of crow.

Yet the fit is so obvious here it pains me to say that I might prefer this route over any other.

Grant+ Thybulle pretty much solves all of our woes regarding wings. 

I'd even reluctantly include Hardy in such a deal. The roster above is ready to compete, can even still do the THJ+Holmes reported deal for a center or maybe even throw Nurkic into the deal.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - cow - 07-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 12:27 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I laughed so hard at the Portland deal for Grant. I called it a wild overpay. For the Mavs to be the ones to end up paying for him would hurt and I'd have to eat a passive pile of crow.

Yet the fit is so obvious here it pains me to say that I might prefer this route over any other.

Grant+ Thybulle pretty much solves all of our woes regarding wings. 

I'd even reluctantly include Hardy in such a deal. The roster above is ready to compete, can even still do the THJ+Holmes reported deal for a center or maybe even throw Nurkic into the deal.

[Image: no-family-guy.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - DanSchwartzgan - 07-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 06:22 AM)omahen Wrote: I think Clippers will be dumping Morris to save tax. They don't need him with Martin Jr and other PF (Batum, RoCo) they have, and it seems his contract is not needed for Harden trade. I would be ok just with Bullock for Morris (with Clippers paying us some minor assets for the saved tax). We need Morris more than we need Bullock. If we would also want Zubac, then I am not sure what we have to convince them to include him. He is their starter and they will not just give him away.

So, interesting math….

McGee outgoing is enough to match Morris incoming if added to the Bertans deal.  We’d be snugged up a little under apron 1.  What is the going rate for $11mm of cap savings?  2024 second rounder?  That takes the MLE out of play, but fills a need until OMax grows up.

I also like having the ability to move expiring Morris and expiring Reggie at the TDL if something becomes available.  Maybe we are doing well and that second is the compensation for removing the protection from the NY pick so we can throw multiple picks into a deal.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - SleepingHero - 07-02-2023

Even more Dan,

THJ+Holmes+Bullock for Deandre Hunter and Clint Capela makes a lot of sense

Atlanta just traded for Garuba too who, while worse, is another athletic center.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - RasheedsBigWhiteSpot - 07-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 12:56 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote:   Maybe we are doing well and that second is the compensation for removing the protection from the NY pick so we can throw multiple picks into a deal.

I don't see how that helps.

Okay, so NY definitely gets 2024, but then that means 2025 is out.  Yes, you can now deal 2026, but then you can't trade 2027.  2028 and 2030 are not in play because Brooklyn has 2029.  So, at most, the Mavs can still only trade one FRP.