MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Winter - 07-01-2023

They need another rim-protector. Cuban said it was their biggest need, and it would be just plain weird not to see one. It's hard to see how the front office could defend that currently with Lively considering his rookie status.

How they do that along with another wing, will be the interesting part.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Chicagojk - 07-01-2023

Well fun night. Hopefully I can get away from the phone and enjoy the long weekend.

Mavs still have moves to be made. Hardaway would appear to be one of those moves. He is a good player, so we will see what they turn him into. I think moving Hardaway says much more about Hardy than Curry. I view Curry as insurance to some of the other guys. I don't see him taking all the THJ minutes in the case of a trade imo.

I am not the biggest Brooks fan. Skillwise he would fit in well here, I just think he may be crazy. Grant Williams is my #1. But that may be tricky. I think another solid move is needed. Still have a big hole at a big wing

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Winter - 07-01-2023

It seems a little odd now that the Mavs rumors have hit a complete dead spot. Maybe a Dillon Brooks rumor of interest but nothing else.

I can only imagine a serious trade is in discussion, but I have no idea where that might come from. Plus there hasn't been a single realistic Wood rumor all night. What's that about?

Someone feed me.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - ItsGoTime - 07-01-2023

(07-01-2023, 06:45 AM)Winter Wrote: It seems a little odd now that the Mavs rumors have hit a complete dead spot. Maybe a Dillon Brooks rumor of interest but nothing else.

I can only imagine a serious trade is in discussion, but I have no idea where that might come from. Plus there hasn't been a single realistic Wood rumor all night. What's that about?

Someone feed me.
They are working out a 10 team trade with the Draft day deal. No time to report to media!

(07-01-2023, 06:59 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: They are working out a 10 team trade with the Draft day deal. No time to report to media!

That could take awhile.

Historically, I wonder what the biggest multi-team trade has been?

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - dirkfansince1998 - 07-01-2023

(07-01-2023, 06:59 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: They are working out a 10 team trade with the Draft day deal. No time to report to media!

More seriously. Scared that it is something like this. Trade with multiple teams. RFAs involved. If one team pulls out the entire trade collapses. Mavs have no backup plan. Other free agent targets already signed with other teams.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - khaled1987 - 07-01-2023

(07-01-2023, 07:03 AM)Winter Wrote: That could take awhile.

Historically, I wonder what the biggest multi-team trade has been?

https://www.si.com/fannation/nba/fastbreak/news/on-this-day-in-nba-history-august-2-the-largest-trade-in-league-history-boston-celtics-miami-heat

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-01-2023

(07-01-2023, 03:30 AM)Branduil Wrote: The offseason has been solid so far, but they do still need a starting PF, and probably C unless they feel confident Holmes can fill that role. Right now the obvious inference is that they will attempt to fill one spot with some kind of trade of THJ/Bullock/Holmes/McGee and the other with the MLE.

They might not deal THJ or Bullock.  I really don't know if they would have any takers for either.  We'll wait and see. They have too many 5's, so I can see them doing something there.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Mavs2021 - 07-01-2023

(07-01-2023, 07:34 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: They might not deal THJ or Bullock.  I really don't know if they would have any takers for either.  We'll wait and see.  They have too many 5's, so I can see them doing something there.

Yeah people assume this draft night signals a change of strategy, but it might very well not be. Seeing is believing.

Powell could still return. Irving is 31 years old. Curry is 32 years old now. If they keep THJ/Bullock, then where does that leave Hardy? I´m sure Nico has no intention to trade him, given that Hardy looks like his standout move, but what about the retirement home executive board member Kidd and the CEOld Cuban? Do they want to extend Green or do they think veteran X can do the same for $3M and just dump him for Capela rather than purchase upside projections like Williams, Reed or Bamba?

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - mvossman - 07-01-2023

(07-01-2023, 06:13 AM)Winter Wrote: They need another rim-protector. Cuban said it was their biggest need, and it would be just plain weird not to see one. It's hard to see how the front office could defend that currently with Lively considering his rookie status.

How they do that along with another wing, will be the interesting part.

I think you could argue that a lottery pick specifically addressing rim protection is plenty of effort.  In addition, they are effectively replacing the useless McGee with the (hopefully) not useless Holmes.  It may take a season for it to fully flush out, but they spent their biggest asset on the problem (the effectively got both Holmes and Lively with that 10 pick).

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - mvossman - 07-01-2023

(07-01-2023, 08:02 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Yeah people assume this draft night signals a change of strategy, but it might very well not be. Seeing is believing.

Powell could still return. Irving is 31 years old. Curry is 32 years old now. If they keep THJ/Bullock, then where does that leave Hardy? I´m sure Nico has no intention to trade him, given that Hardy looks like his standout move, but what about the retirement home executive board member Kidd and the CEOld Cuban? Do they want to extend Green or do they think veteran X can do the same for $3M and just dump him for Capela rather than purchase upside projections like Williams, Reed or Bamba?

Based on the reports:

Powell will likely return.  He will be Holmes insurance if nothing else.  There is a good change they do nothing else at the 5.
The Curry signing screams a Timmy trade.  Trading out Timmy for Curry prolly opens more minutes for Hardy
They already had the chance to send Green out for Capela and declined.  All indications are they want to extend Green

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Mavs2021 - 07-01-2023

(07-01-2023, 08:27 AM)mvossman Wrote: Based on the reports:

Powell will likely return.  He will be Holmes insurance if nothing else.  There is a good change they do nothing else at the 5.
The Curry signing screams a Timmy trade.  Trading out Timmy for Curry prolly opens more minutes for Hardy
They already had the chance to send Green out for Capela and declined.  All indications are they want to extend Green

I know, but I have been burned too many times by this FOs short-term win now retirement home strategies to interpret their actions positively, until I see the "final" product.

There is still a lot of potential for short-term dumbf******. What if they give Powell a large part of the MLE and be done with it.

Was your summer expectation to sign Powell/Curry with the exceptions and keep THJ/Bullock to win now?

It´s only been 12 months since: Nah McGee can´t be all. They have an ace up their sleeves.

(07-01-2023, 08:36 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I know, but I have been burned too many times by this FOs short-term win now retirement home strategies to interpret their actions positively, until I see the "final" product.

There is still a lot of potential for short-term dumbf******. What if they give Powell a large part of the MLE and be done with it.

Was your summer expectation to sign Powell/Curry with the exceptions and keep THJ/Bullock to win now?

It´s only been 12 months since: Nah McGee can´t be all. They have an ace up their sleeves.

I do get the PTSD with this FO.  Not only have that made a lot of dumb decisions, they are notorious for (supposedly) having a lot of irons in the fire and everything falling apart at the end, and I still have concern that is how this ultimately plays out.

But between draft night and the Kyrie signing, I am getting cautiously optimistic about what they are doing.  I will like the Curry signing as well assuming they trade out one of the existing guards.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - vfromlmf - 07-01-2023

Thought I'd share Mavs' current depth chart using their terminology for player positions. It's not a necessarily the starting lineup and it's certainly not a firm rotation, but it is instructive. Obviously, I don't think they're done.

G: Kyrie Green Curry Hardy

G-F: THJ Bullock

F-G: Luka

F: Kleber OMAX

C: Holmes Lively McGee

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - Kidnova - 07-01-2023

(07-01-2023, 10:37 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Thought I'd share Mavs' current depth chart using their terminology for player positions. It's not a necessarily the starting lineup and it's certainly not a firm rotation, but it is instructive.

G:    Kyrie      Green    Curry    Hardy

G-F:  THJ      Bullock

F-G:  Luka

F:      Kleber      OMAX

C:      Holmes    Lively        McGee

If Curry is getting more minutes than Hardy on this team then something has gone horribly wrong. Honestly, if this is the rotation they start the season with then they're fighting for the play-in game.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - SkenfromLMF - 07-01-2023

(07-01-2023, 08:36 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I know, but I have been burned too many times by this FOs short-term win now retirement home strategies to interpret their actions positively, until I see the "final" product.

You are missing a minute point regarding Powell. He will NOT count against the MLE no matter how much he makes. He is a Bird Rights Free Agent and as such will not take up ANY of the MLE, if he signs for less than 4 (3.5) million, he would qualify as a minimum salary player. What Powell does represent is a salary that would count against the hard cap. So even though the MLE had not been spent, there would be no room to use the MLE if Powell makes a significant amount.

I am holding out hope that the Mavs will NOT use the MLE (well Curry would technically be signed using a small portion of the MLE & qualify for the TP-MLE ~5 million) nor would they use the BAE (so it would still be available next year), and that Wood has to get Dallas to do him a solid via Sign and Trade. Dallas gets their MLE target OR an equivalent via trade. Thinking BIGGER - It would be amazing to see if Dallas could get Ayton for Bullock, McGee and Wood (ship has probably sailed/ so McGee & Wood for Capela); Holmes declines the Trade Kicker, and then THJ could be flipped to get a PF/SF.

A last resort move I would bring up is to contact Atlanta about Rudy Gay - McGee for Gay saves ATL another 750k. ATL needs a tip for the extra 2 yrs of McGee's contract.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - F Gump - 07-01-2023

(07-01-2023, 11:50 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: You are missing a minute point regarding Powell. He will NOT count against the MLE no matter how much he makes. He is a Bird Rights Free Agent and as such will not take up ANY of the MLE.....

"He will NOT count against the MLE ..."

Actually he will (as they are currently situated), in a very real way, just not in the way you are thinking.

The size of Powell's deal has to fit under the hard cap, along with the full MLE. As Powell's salary gets bigger, the MLE will have to get smaller. (The same math issue applies to using Wood in a snt trade or not - the total dollars available are limited, so spending more in one place means you are left with less to spend in a different place.)

If they make a trade using existing contracts, the math will change and the available dollars will be different, of course, But as they stand, in a real sense, Powell's dollars will definitely impact whether they can spend full MLE or not.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - ItsGoTime - 07-01-2023

I’m inclined to hope for using the dollar amount in the MLE for trades that bring back more salary. As an example: Bullock for SnT Brooks where we go with salary right up to the max trade spread, or THJ for 2 players and get the numbers right up to the trade spread. In this way, we are adding cap savings to teams looking for it as added value for the trade.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - MFFL - 07-01-2023

All the remaining decent wings are restricted. So it makes sense to give up on that front and try to work out sign and trade deals.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KYRIE RESIGNS 3/126| Mavs sign S.Curry 2yrs - omahen - 07-01-2023

(07-01-2023, 05:34 PM)MFFL Wrote: All the remaining decent wings are restricted. So it makes sense to give up on that front and try to work out sign and trade deals.

Problem with SnT is, the "giving" usually gets a minor compensation for their trouble and doesn't really want any bad salary back. Mavs don't have much minor compensation assets, unfortunately.