MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - Chicagojk - 06-29-2023

(06-29-2023, 07:23 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Is there still a possibility that Dwight Powell is brought back?  

I know we now have Richaun Holmes in the center rotation but I don't think he is the answer.  I think Powell is a vastly superior player to Richaun Holmes-  better defensively and a better finisher on offense.  He has his flaws but his advanced stats are pretty good and I think he is a winning rotation player.  I also think a high-character player like Powell is probably an asset on a team with some young, developing players. 

If we target a wing like Bruce Brown for our MLE or taxpayer MLE then I don't see how we can upgrade our center rotation.  In fact, losing Dwight Powell and Christian Wood would leave our center position much worse this coming season.

I think we could do much worse than to bring back Powell on a 2-year deal.  

We could then look to make a trade closer to the deadline this coming season or next off-season to upgrade at the 5.

I think so, but it is fluid.   Mavs appear to be still looking at a center.    If they can't move McGee is might be tough to bring back Powell.  I would greatly prefer Powell over McGee.   Powell has played big games.   I think he is perfect for a guy just outside of the normal rotation, but capable of playing 25 minutes when called due to injury or foul trouble.   He may have bigger plans though.  

Powell will have some say too obviously.  He may not want to sign where he is the 3rd big (maybe 4th if you count Maxi).   He may also get a higher offer somewhere else.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - DanSchwartzgan - 06-29-2023

(06-29-2023, 07:17 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Keeping Reggie always seemed like a 50-50 proposition. His poor play on both ends of the floor last season doesn’t justify even $5.5 million in spending, but this decision is really more about Cuban and Nico’s commitment to invest in the roster.  Bullock’s value is really as a decent sized expiring contract now to bring back some productive long term salary. Hopefully, the Mavs can turn it into something good at mid season. If the Mavs had anything cooking with Reggie’s contract this off-season, it seems a team looking to cut spending would have made a deal in time to save an additional $5 million.

If you think through the moves they have made, there is a bit of 3-dimensional chess going on here.  They've not yet let themselves get boxed into any particular outcome...yet  Clearly, they'd like to add a starting level center, but the 'bad' contract they took from Sac was for a center.  So, they aren't absolutely forced to make a bad deal.  The deal they tried to make also preserved flexibility.    

Similarly, it doesn't seem likely both Reggie and THJ will be back.  No idea which one stays.  But, if they did the S/W on Reggie and traded Hardaway, they'd be desperate to fill a certain spot on the roster (back-up on ball defender behind Green).  I agree on it being a 50-50 deal.  Moving on might have opened a spending door or two.  But keeping him doesn't seem like a blunder.  You are right about his value as an expiring deal.  He's also valuable to us next season.  If we snug up just under the first apron we need something to give us flexibility in 2024 when Green's new money kicks in.  Yeah, the cap will go up, but so will most everyone's salary.  If a team plans to operate right at the limit (which is smart for a contender), they have to be looking a year or two out to make sure they can stay under.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - DanSchwartzgan - 06-29-2023

(06-29-2023, 07:28 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think so, but it is fluid.   Mavs appear to be still looking at a center.    If they can't move McGee is might be tough to bring back Powell.  I would greatly prefer Powell over McGee.   Powell has played big games.   I think he is perfect for a guy just outside of the normal rotation, but capable of playing 25 minutes when called due to injury or foul trouble.   He may have bigger plans though.  

Powell will have some say too obviously.  He may not want to sign where he is the 3rd big (maybe 4th if you count Maxi).   He may also get a higher offer somewhere else.

I think fluid is a good way to put it.  Depends on how many other centers are on the roster besides Lively.  Given who we've supposedly had interest in, the debate between them looking at Maxi as a five or a four seems to land with Maxi as a four (since there have been so many starting center rumors).

I did find it interesting that Powell has been listed as someone this or that team is interested in.  That, to me, smacks of an agent who is concerned Powell doesn't have a home locked down in Dallas.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - dirkfansince1998 - 06-29-2023

Looking at catch all metrics and +/- there is a legit case that Bullock ranked among the 10 worst players in the league last season. Addition by substraction. Free up minutes for Hardy, Green and whoever they add.

(06-29-2023, 07:40 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Looking at catch all metrics and +/- there is a legit case that Bullock ranked among the 10 worst players in the league last season. Addition by substraction. Free up minutes for Hardy, Green and whoever they add.

Yeah, he was bad last year.  I can't get it out of my mind when the Mavs were tanking the last two games, Bullock was still playing.   I know for one of the games....maybe two.    That was a pretty strong idea what they thought of him helping you win games.   

He was not good on defense last year.  But that was a really hard job with the rest of the team defense was lacking and very little rim protection.   His play definitely fell though.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - Reunion Mav - 06-29-2023

(06-29-2023, 07:44 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yeah, he was bad last year.  I can't get it out of my mind when the Mavs were tanking the last two games, Bullock was still playing.   I know for one of the games....maybe two.    That was a pretty strong idea what they thought of him helping you win games.   

He was not good on defense last year.  But that was a really hard job with the rest of the team defense was lacking and very little rim protection.   His play definitely fell though.

I remember Reggie often getting stuck trying to defend and rebound inside. He tried hard in there but how much does it help Reggie if our bigs improve to below average instead of awful and he plays less against starters?  He was the first player Nico brought in. He has been good before. If he is your 10.7 million 7th guy with an expiring contract and likable enough, he could be a decent net positive.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - mvossman - 06-29-2023

(06-29-2023, 07:40 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Looking at catch all metrics and +/- there is a legit case that Bullock ranked among the 10 worst players in the league last season. Addition by substraction. Free up minutes for Hardy, Green and whoever they add.

The crazy thing is those same metrics say he was a good player the prior year.  Some of that is noise, but he was clearly a worse player on both sides of the court.  Is that the start of a massive slide?  If so, he is worse than a vet min guy.  Or did he just have a bad year and is a bounce back candidate?  His whole career seems to have a lot of up and downs.  Both him and Holmes have a high variance from completely useless to quality rotation piece.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - dirkfansince1998 - 06-29-2023

(06-29-2023, 08:09 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: I remember Reggie often getting stuck trying to defend and rebound inside. He tried hard in there but how much does it help Reggie if our bigs improve to below average instead of awful and he plays less against starters?  He was the first player Nico brought in. He has been good before. If he is your 10.7 million 7th guy with an expiring contract and likable enough, he could be a decent net positive.

I think he had to play more of an inside role and guard up (SFs and PFs) because his lateral quickness declined badly. Even compared to other Mavs he stood out as a traffic cone. Couldn´t stay in front of anyone all season long.
The big-guard dynamics work both ways. How much better would the bigs look next to perimeter defenders that could stay in front of their matchup.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - ItsGoTime - 06-29-2023

If RB can get back to some semblance of who he was 2 seasons ago, he’s fine as a backup to Green. I honestly think THJ should be the one to go. He is the better on court player between the two (so has the more trade value to a non-capspace team). He is a progress stopper for Hardy. I don’t put much of any stock in the “Luka doesn’t like him” rumor, but that being out there gives me the the slightest bit of hesitation seeing them also trying to trade him ever since the ink dried on his new contract.

I would really like to let both go in trades. For me, the ideal for both would be SnTs. RB for a second MLE money target and THJ for a slightly higher than MLE target where the salary comes out roughly the same (maybe that $1M less that Dan was trying to get from Kyrie to be able to get our MLE).

As an example: Bullock and 30 SRP for SnT GWill, then THJ for SnT Brooks. You can replace the names with your own favorite MLE type targets, as long as they are worth the money (or more than worth). 

They could also be used in trades to get the same result, it’s just easier when we can pick the incoming salary.

And the zag….LOL

https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/1674417650796224518?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

also this

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1674418031265738752

Drummond be the second or third center? He would have been a much better investment last year instead of McGee. I would actually be fine with this signing, depending on coast. I would not have any grand plans for him either. there are times where he can grab 20 rebounds and some nice dunks and then other times when he is not really useful at all. Maybe could play well with Luka.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - Winter - 06-29-2023

(06-29-2023, 09:08 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: also this

Drummond be the second or third center?  He would have been a much better investment last year instead of McGee.  I would actually be fine with this signing, depending on coast.  I would not have any grand plans for him either.  there are times where he can grab 20 rebounds and some nice dunks and then other times when he is not really useful at all.    Maybe could play well with Luka.

Then he's a situational third center.... and if he's here, one would assume there is no McGee here. 

And if McGee is outbound, I would assume all of this reflects a packaged trade scenario

(06-29-2023, 09:11 AM)Winter Wrote: Then he's a situational third center.... and if he's here, one would assume there is no McGee here. 

And if McGee is outbound, I would assume all of this reflects a packaged trade scenario

Yeah, I would think they would have a trade lined up for one of their centers.  I think.   

Looking at his stats, last year was a dip in production.  Still only 29.  I think a lot of his stats are empty stats, but if he got 25 plus minutes most years he was a double/double guy.   I need to watch more of him but I would think he would be solid as a rim runner.  He can't shoot but can pass pretty well.  Albeit he is very careless with turnovers as well.

Anything more than 3-4 million is an overpay.   Hopefully 1-2 years as well.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - Winter - 06-29-2023

(06-29-2023, 09:14 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yeah, I would think they would have a trade lined up for one of their centers.  I think.   

Looking at his stats, last year was a dip in production.  Still only 29.  I think a lot of his stats are empty stats, but if he got 25 plus minutes most years he was a double/double guy.   I need to watch more of him but I would think he would be solid as a rim runner.  He can't shoot but can pass pretty well.  Albeit he is very careless with turnovers as well.

Anything more than 3-4 million is an overpay.   Hopefully 1-2 years as well.

Also by assumption, I would think that a Drummond addition as a 3rd center eliminates Powell from the roster as I can see no current scenario in which he makes sense.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - RoyTarpleysGhost - 06-29-2023

McShaqtin #2

Terrible way to start this Thursday

Here are his Bulls highlights from last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzNOUN6Gx24

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - Nowitzki Way - 06-29-2023

Drummond be the second or third center?  He would have been a much better investment last year instead of McGee.  I would actually be fine with this signing, depending on coast.  I would not have any grand plans for him either.  there are times where he can grab 20 rebounds and some nice dunks and then other times when he is not really useful at all.    Maybe could play well with Luka.

Yes to this.  We should have gotten Drummond last year. McGee was a terrible signing. 

Drummond is exactly what we need for 15-20 minutes a game.  Whether that is starting or coming off the bench. Remember we started Javale and Powell at Center last year. 

I can see Drummond fitting here with or without Holmes.  Holmes/Drummond can hold down that spot while we bring Lively along slowly.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 06-29-2023

So I would assume that the plan is still to use Holmes/McGee/Hardaway for a starting center and Drummond replaces McGees role. Would love to see that Phoenix framework expanded to send him to Indy and Turner this way

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - Nowitzki Way - 06-29-2023

(06-29-2023, 09:28 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: McShaqtin #2

Terrible way to start this Thursday

I dont think its that bad. For a minimum salary, 2nd or 3rd string Center?

The guy is the BEST at what this team is WORST at. Rebounding.  15 minutes a night replacing Javale/Powell.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - RoyTarpleysGhost - 06-29-2023

That would ease the pain. 

Drummond might be one of the 5 dumbest players in the league.  (speaking on the court only.  he seems like a chill dude in interviews)