MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS:Woj-Ky intends to resign, Ramona-Ky intends to take meetings w/other teams - dirkfansince1998 - 06-28-2023

https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1674211092262793219

Quote:"I don't think I can answer that, but I can tell you this. We like Reggie." -Nico on the status of Reggie Bullock

I don´t like Reggie...

RE: MAVS NEWS:Woj-Ky intends to resign, Ramona-Ky intends to take meetings w/other teams - audiosway - 06-28-2023

(06-28-2023, 08:05 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1674211092262793219

I don´t like Reggie...

I like Reggie as a lighter minute rotation bench guy. Just not as a starter or heavy minutes.

RE: MAVS NEWS:Woj-Ky intends to resign, Ramona-Ky intends to take meetings w/other teams - The Jom - 06-28-2023

2022 Playoffs Reg was outstanding. Got our money’s worth outta that dude. If his contract turns into some kind of chip tonight, we should be talking about stealing him from NY being one of the best moves of the Donnie era. (It was still the Donnie era, wasn’t it?)

RE: MAVS NEWS:Woj-Ky intends to resign, Ramona-Ky intends to take meetings w/other teams - SleepingHero - 06-28-2023

(06-28-2023, 10:13 PM)The Jom Wrote: 2022 Playoffs Reg was outstanding. Got our money’s worth outta that dude. If his contract turns into some kind of chip tonight, we should be talking about stealing him from NY being one of the best moves of the Donnie era. (It was still the Donnie era, wasn’t it?)

Nope. Reggie was signed right after Donnie got the boot.

RE: MAVS NEWS:Woj-Ky intends to resign, Ramona-Ky intends to take meetings w/other teams - SleepingHero - 06-28-2023

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1674260706856955904

Marc Stein (@TheSteinLine)
Reggie Bullock's contract with the Mavericks for next season will be fully guaranteed at midnight at $10.5 million, league sources say.

That figure would have dropped to $5.5 million had Dallas waived Bullock before today's deadline.

RE: MAVS NEWS:Woj-Ky intends to resign, Ramona-Ky intends to take meetings w/other teams - myconsumerclub - 06-28-2023

I would bet that Kyrie is sticking.

The team is shaping up and the MBT is starting to look like guys who finally figured out how this draft thing works.

Now if they just understand how you get younger players to stay for x number of years on rookie scale contracts and they then are restricted not unrestricted free agents and that way we can afford to keep them for a lot longer before they get paid the big bucks.

2 years in a row they earn marks for being decent in drafting talent.

Getting Hardy in the draft and then Lawson getting back to us after MIN stole him that was good as well.

I trust our new brain trust with their recent run of luck and showing greater promise in their skills to evaluate younger talent.

Kyrie may want to coach one day and if I were Cuban that would be getting offered for sure.

RE: MAVS NEWS:Woj-Ky intends to resign, Ramona-Ky intends to take meetings w/other teams - BigDirk41 - 06-28-2023

So are we stuck with Reggie's sorry ass now?

RE: MAVS NEWS:Woj-Ky intends to resign, Ramona-Ky intends to take meetings w/other teams - Tyler - 06-28-2023

(06-28-2023, 10:47 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: So are we stuck with Reggie's sorry ass now?

We now have a decent sized expiring contract available to trade.

RE: MAVS NEWS:Woj-Ky intends to resign, Ramona-Ky intends to take meetings w/other teams - Reunion Mav - 06-28-2023

(06-28-2023, 10:47 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: So are we stuck with Reggie's sorry ass now?

Tyler beat me to it. Perhaps this is simply not announced yet and we will find out he is not guaranteed. But perhaps some team that Reggie torched has taken a $10 million liking to him. Perhaps he is soon to be part of a bigger trade with more trade match value. 

Of course maybe he just got some love from the Mavericks and it includes a coach or mentor who can coax a whole year of good play out of him. It is his contract year.

Ok I just saw it is reported. Now I try to be patient and hopeful.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - SleepingHero - 06-28-2023

I was never so sure the Mavs were going to get rid of Reggie's contract, so I'm not surprised of this outcome.

I do hope he can be packaged to bring in someone else and we can get a different starting wing in here that doesn't take 3 months to become a good shooter.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - BigDirk41 - 06-28-2023

Do the Mavs lose the MLE now that they kept Bullock?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - IamDougieFresh - 06-29-2023

(06-28-2023, 11:34 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Do the Mavs lose the MLE now that they kept Bullock?

Not if Kyrie gets the max and there are no other moves.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - DanSchwartzgan - 06-29-2023

(06-28-2023, 11:34 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Do the Mavs lose the MLE now that they kept Bullock?

It locks down one cell on the spreadsheet.  But, you have to make assumptions still about Kyrie and whether or not Holmes is getting or waiving his TK.  

If Holmes costs $13.8mm with the full TK and 

If Kyrie comes in at $40mm first year, 

Then the Mav's are at $169.4mm including the MLE at $12.4mm and 14 players on the roster.  

They need to stay under $172mm to use the MLE.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - Mavs2021 - 06-29-2023

(06-29-2023, 01:09 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It locks down one cell on the spreadsheet.  But, you have to make assumptions still about Kyrie and whether or not Holmes is getting or waiving his TK.  

Then the Mav's are at $169.4mm including the MLE at $12.4mm and 14 players on the roster.  

Maybe the Mavs also use this is a strategic plot in negotiations. We want to compete and for that we need our exceptions, which means you can only get x-amount. Kyrie says no, you know he´s all about getting paid and at age 31 with his history that´s a huge red flag.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - surfpuckmd - 06-29-2023

(06-29-2023, 01:09 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It locks down one cell on the spreadsheet.  But, you have to make assumptions still about Kyrie and whether or not Holmes is getting or waiving his TK.  

Keeping Bullock seems like a blunder that might cost us the full MLE.  

We are now relying on the generosity and fairness of Kyrie Irving.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - ThisIStheYear - 06-29-2023

Keeping Reggie always seemed like a 50-50 proposition. His poor play on both ends of the floor last season doesn’t justify even $5.5 million in spending, but this decision is really more about Cuban and Nico’s commitment to invest in the roster. Bullock’s value is really as a decent sized expiring contract now to bring back some productive long term salary. Hopefully, the Mavs can turn it into something good at mid season. If the Mavs had anything cooking with Reggie’s contract this off-season, it seems a team looking to cut spending would have made a deal in time to save an additional $5 million.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - DanSchwartzgan - 06-29-2023

(06-29-2023, 02:03 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Maybe the Mavs also use this is a strategic plot in negotiations. We want to compete and for that we need our exceptions, which means you can only get x-amount. Kyrie says no, you know he´s all about getting paid and at age 31 with his history that´s a huge red flag.

Or, the more positive view would be that he's signing and his final number is flexible depending on whether we accomplish certain things that have been laid out for him (Dallas has done this before).  We are trying to do this and if it works, you get $X.  But, if it doesn't, you get $Y.  He comes to agreement early, but the number is fuzzy until everything else is accomplished.

On another note, I was playing around with Ayton/Turner stuff and noticed something I hadn't before about the deal Phoenix reportedly turned down.  With a 10% trade spread for Phoenix, Ayton for THJ/Holmes/McGee is legal by a $27,000 margin (I like having a cap guru on the team rather than Mark's spreadsheet).  Sending out McGee in the deal is what allows us room for both the MLE and BAE.  If he isn't in the deal, we miss being able to use the MLE by $181k (plus we'd need some space under the apron to comfortably operate without going over (those numbers assume $40mm start value for Kyrie).  The ability to start at $39mm instead of $40mm would be huge here.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - Chicagojk - 06-29-2023

(06-29-2023, 07:17 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Keeping Reggie always seemed like a 50-50 proposition. His poor play on both ends of the floor last season doesn’t justify even $5.5 million in spending, but this decision is really more about Cuban and Nico’s commitment to invest in the roster.  Bullock’s value is really as a decent sized expiring contract now to bring back some productive long term salary. Hopefully, the Mavs can turn it into something good at mid season. If the Mavs had anything cooking with Reggie’s contract this off-season, it seems a team looking to cut spending would have made a deal in time to save an additional $5 million.

I am fine if he is back this year.   I just don't want him starting.   But, this will be his last year here.  He may be traded in the next few weeks, at the deadline or leave as a FA next year.   My hope is that either him or Hardaway with a future first is the move we make at the trade deadline.   I am not sure they will find a deal with a future first and either now, I don't think.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - ThisIStheYear - 06-29-2023

(06-29-2023, 07:09 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Keeping Bullock seems like a blunder that might cost us the full MLE.  

We are now relying on the generosity and fairness of Kyrie Irving.

It could be the Mavs just don’t believe the MLE is enough to get a player they like or that instead of relying on Kyrie’s generosity, they have a firm walk away number and aren’t really negotiating.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs keep Bullock - surfpuckmd - 06-29-2023

Is there still a possibility that Dwight Powell is brought back?  

I know we now have Richaun Holmes in the center rotation but I don't think he is the answer.  I think Powell is a vastly superior player to Richaun Holmes-  better defensively and a better finisher on offense.  He has his flaws but his advanced stats are pretty good and I think he is a winning rotation player.  I also think a high-character player like Powell is probably an asset on a team with some young, developing players. 

If we target a wing like Bruce Brown for our MLE or taxpayer MLE then I don't see how we can upgrade our center rotation.  In fact, losing Dwight Powell and Christian Wood would leave our center position much worse this coming season.

I think we could do much worse than to bring back Powell on a 2-year deal.  

We could then look to make a trade closer to the deadline this coming season or next off-season to upgrade at the 5.