MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - dirkfansince1998 - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 03:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: My only fear is that historically a team of young players generally don't win all that much.

Luka isn't the typical youngin though... How much does he and Kyrie make a difference to that historical trend?

For me that´s the key. Maybe they finally stopped thinking in one year windows and actually developed a multi year plan. I don´t see any roster move that would put them into the conversation with teams like the Nuggets or Suns in the next two seasons. Compete for a spot in the playoffs and develop young talent along the way.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - KillerLeft - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 03:26 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Compete for a spot in the playoffs and develop young talent along the way.

…what they should’ve started doing the second it was clear Porzingis wasn’t the answer to anything.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - cow - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 03:27 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: …what they should’ve started doing the second it was clear Porzingis wasn’t the answer to anything.

KP will be the answer to a lot of things Mavs related in a few years time.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Ghost of Podkolzin - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 03:29 PM)cow Wrote: KP will be the answer to a lot of things Mavs related in a few years time.

Indeed.  KP should be your third best player, not your second, battling to be the star.  He is going to be an all-star in BOS.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Lively to wear #2, OMax #18, THJ #10...Kyrie #11? - Chicagojk - 06-26-2023

Well O-MAX knows how to sell himself, I will give him that. Dropping Christian Braun on how he earned minutes a rookie and than also saying that he wants it more than the guy he is competing against.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - mvossman - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 03:43 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Indeed.  KP should be your third best player, not your second, battling to be the star.  He is going to be an all-star in BOS.

We shall see.  Not only does he need to stay healthy (a big if) he is not going to get the number of looks he got with Wiz.  Boston may see some of the disgruntled KP we saw.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - mvossman - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 03:22 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: I'd like to turn Green into a better fitting piece.  We need a defensive stud who's also a stretch big.  What about Green for Z.Collins?  IMO, it makes sense for both teams.

How is Green not a good fitting piece?  Who is our point of attack defender if you send him out?  At least we have Maxi for a defensive stretch big, and Omax as a defensive big wing.  We don't have anything to replace Green.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Lively to wear #2, OMax #18, THJ #10...Kyrie #11? - Reunion Mav - 06-26-2023

Having Luka and Kylie absolutely could and has in the past changed the youth don’t win dynamics. The two of them need to mesh well by say January and we have to no longer be bottom 15 on defense also by sometime mid year. But I don’t think I could ever put high level success beyond a Luka led team. That is even more true with Kyrie by his side.

Yes most likely we don’t get past the Denver’s of the NBA….unless they get injured or upset by an 8 seed. We just need to get better everyday as they say so we are as ready as we can be and do not listen even to us who put limits on their expectations so we can feel safe or more likely to be right or perhaps less likely to feel the pain of disappointment.

Go ahead, watch hopefully and let Luka and his new helpers do his extremely talented thing.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - DanSchwartzgan - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 02:43 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqBqZ807nN0

Currently introducing the new rookies,

Thanks for this.  I don't know how anyone could possibly watch this and think their is any chance the Mav's plan to break up what they are calling their "core" of Lively, OMax, Green, Hardy and Luka.  Pretty amazing that they are a good positional fit with one another.

Kyrie makes six and I suspect they aren't married to anyone from among Maxi, Holmes, Reggie, THJ and McGee.  These are the deck chairs that need to fit around the "core plus Kyrie".  

Loved Kidd's quip about the layup line now being capable of more than just layups.

Jason Terry - Jason Terry - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 03:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Welcome! Not only do I think they’re serious about the direction, I expect all those dudes to play and contribute THIS YEAR.
Yes. You could tell Nico was serious. This is the way. We have the young core of Hardy/Green/O-Max/Lively led by Luka. They will all play immediately. And this is who we build around long term

The flip side to the “young 5” is to find the right veterans around them. Kyrie, Maxi, and THJ i think are guys who compliment the young 5 well. We still need 2 more of the right type players. Perfect to me would be Bruce Brown and G Williams. But, those type of guys

This is going to be a good team that sneaks up on folks by the end of the year. It’s going to be so much fun to watch and i can’t wait. I’m honestly looking at flying out to Vegas for summer league

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - KillerLeft - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 05:30 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Thanks for this.  I don't know how anyone could possibly watch this and think their is any chance the Mav's plan to break up what they are calling their "core" of Lively, OMax, Green, Hardy and Luka.  Pretty amazing that they are a good positional fit with one another.

Kyrie makes six and I suspect they aren't married to anyone from among Maxi, Holmes, Reggie, THJ and McGee.  These are the deck chairs that need to fit around the "core plus Kyrie".  

Loved Kidd's quip about the layup line now being capable of more than just layups.

Agree with all of this, wholeheartedly, and I would add that the news dropped today can be seen as somewhat of a vote of confidence for Hardaway, too. My count of safe people would be seven.

RE: Jason Terry - KillerLeft - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 05:39 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: This is going to be a good team that sneaks up on folks by the end of the year. It’s going to be so much fun to watch and i can’t wait. I’m honestly looking at flying out to Vegas for summer league

And even if you’re wrong, at this time next year they’ll have a little something to work with, asset wise. Not like this past disappointing season which felt like a dead end.

So far, I’m into their new plan.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Winter - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 05:30 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Thanks for this.  I don't know how anyone could possibly watch this and think their is any chance the Mav's plan to break up what they are calling their "core" of Lively, OMax, Green, Hardy and Luka.  Pretty amazing that they are a good positional fit with one another.

The determination to keep the youth has occurred to me more than once - first, when the rumor that a Capela trade was nixed because of the demand on Green/Hardy. And second, the recent rumor of the Mavs looking for an Ayton trade and the Suns deciding the package wasn't good enough (I'm guessing for a similar reason - the Mavs wouldn't include at least one of those players).

That's fine with me. I think Capela may have a short shelf life, and Ayton is a bit of wild card for such a big salary. The idea of home-grown youth is more appealing in the long run.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Reunion Mav - 06-26-2023

I just watched this too. Thanks for posting Sleeping Hero. The jersey thing makes me feel good about Kyrie’s return and seems like THJ as well. Hadn’t thought about the positional fit. It does seem like they see all 6 as among perhaps 10 rotational, consistent minutes players. Now we need other additions to view this team as a great team to be on. This draft really helped all of that.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - chaparral - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 02:43 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqBqZ807nN0

Currently introducing the new rookies,

The best part about this clip is that there was no Cuban.

Outstanding...

RE: MAVS NEWS: Lively to wear #2, OMax #18, THJ #10...Kyrie #11? - ThisIStheYear - 06-26-2023

At least Kidd and Nico seem on the same page this season. Kidd’s coaching was just weird and stubborn last year, like screw the GM and his vision for the team. I’m doing this my way. He made no effort to adjust to his personnel. He just runs what he runs. I still don’t think Green or THJ are safe ( but they’d only go out for a good return). Powell could still come back. Bullock by any rights should be cut to save $5 million, unless the Mavs know of a reason he should bounce back. And it would be nice if the Mavs could add just one more productive player, even a starting level player, to the projected core.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Jym - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 06:04 PM)chaparral Wrote: The best part about this clip is that there was no Cuban.

Outstanding...

Ahh was wondering what exactly made that such a pleasant press conference
Him not being there didn't even cross my mind but I think that's what it was

hopefully he just focuses on Shark Tank and that pharmaceutical company the next couple years while Nico and Fin put together a winning team

RE: MAVS NEWS: Lively to wear #2, OMax #18, THJ #10...Kyrie #11? - Jym - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 06:06 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: At least Kidd and Nico seem on the same page this season. Kidd’s coaching was just weird and stubborn last year, like screw the GM and his vision for the team.  I’m doing this my way.  He made no effort to adjust to his personnel. He just runs what he runs.  I still don’t think Green or THJ are safe ( but they’d only go out for a good return). Powell could still come back.  Bullock by any rights should be cu to save $5 million, unless the Mavs know of a reason he should bounce back. And it would be nice if the Mavs could add just one more productive player, even a starting level player, to the projected core.

Still hoping we can turn Bullock into someone around the same money on a longer term deal

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - cow - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 03:43 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Indeed.  KP should be your third best player, not your second, battling to be the star.  He is going to be an all-star in BOS.

Doubt it but good for him.  I meant Luka's long term outlook with the team will be in large part because of that KP trade.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - DanSchwartzgan - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 05:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Agree with all of this, wholeheartedly, and I would add that the news dropped today can be seen as somewhat of a vote of confidence for Hardaway, too. My count of safe people would be seven.

No argument here.  I’d probably include Maxi too, but will they go big game hunting?  I could see him outgoing in a deal like that.  Or, are we just filling in around the edges.  If the latter, he probably stays.