MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - SleepingHero - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 05:12 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I don't know what to say if you think that is too much for one of the most impactful players in the NBA. What he would add to this team, Kleber and Green will never touch. Plus he's rumored to want 4/100. That's so much better than Ayton's 33 plus you keep pushing. The impact he would have on this franchise and especially Luka go way beyond his stats. He is the motor of the Warriors.

I'm highly skeptical about Draymonds impact if he isn't around the 2 best shooters the game has ever seen. There is no doubt that Draymond is a savant defensively, but I wouldn't say his individual defense is so stratospherically high that it dwarfs both the contributions of Kleber+Josh combined. 

Plus we're not even getting to the fact that Kleber+Josh can actually score on the offensive side and isn't a total liability there. Draymond also has a significant history of becoming grating to his own team. He ran KD out of town, he literally punched Poole in the face, his own coach has had multiple public blowups with him.

All of this is forgivable on GSW because of his niche role. I don't see him fulfilling that role here nearly as cleanly. That's not to say I'm totally out on Draymond, I just think his value for any other team other than GSW (and maybe the Kings since they're GSW 2.0) is significantly less. Tack on a 20+mil a year deal for him that will have him here into his late thirties when he's already breaking down and I'm out if he's going to cost anything more than McGee+Bullock.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - BigDirk41 - 06-26-2023

(06-25-2023, 11:54 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'm highly skeptical about Draymonds impact if he isn't around the 2 best shooters the game has ever seen. There is no doubt that Draymond is a savant defensively, but I wouldn't say his individual defense is so stratospherically high that it dwarfs both the contributions of Kleber+Josh combined. 

Plus we're not even getting to the fact that Kleber+Josh can actually score on the offensive side and isn't a total liability there. Draymond also has a significant history of becoming grating to his own team. He ran KD out of town, he literally punched Poole in the face, his own coach has had multiple public blowups with him.

All of this is forgivable on GSW because of his niche role. I don't see him fulfilling that role here nearly as cleanly. That's not to say I'm totally out on Draymond, I just think his value for any other team other than GSW (and maybe the Kings since they're GSW 2.0) is significantly less. Tack on a 20+mil a year deal for him that will have him here into his late thirties when he's already breaking down and I'm out if he's going to cost anything more than McGee+Bullock.

Agree to disagree on most of this. I agree on the team concerns as far as Draymond running off teammates though. I think his game has and will continue to age well because it's mostly hustle and high energy. I could see him being like Kidd was to Dirk in 2011. Kidd was older, but he was a great leader and still played great defense.  All that being said, I get your concerns. I'm just more comfortable with them, than you are.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - cow - 06-26-2023

Draymond would be a defensive heartbeat for the team like TC was for us. Less of a lob threat on the offensive end but makes up for it with his passing and playmaking. I think he'd fit well just about anywhere with the added bonus that he and Luka respect the hell out of each other. I don't think he'll leave GSW. I also don't think I'd want to give him 4-years at 25M per. I'm all for building relationships but I think his future is in media, not with a team, and if he does help a team it will be the Dubs.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - KillerLeft - 06-26-2023

I have all the respect in the world for Draymond Green. Great, impact player. I think a lot of what makes him special is that GS system - it fits him like a glove.

Dallas is a pick and roll team, and they ALWAYS will be, as long as Luka is here. I don’t think he’s a fit, really.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Mavs2021 - 06-26-2023

Alleged weight issues in college.
33 year old.
4 time NBA champion.
Leaving his beloved GS franchise/system.
Focused on his media career.
Character problems.
Signing his final big contract of four years.

I mean this one is as obvious as putting McGee + Redick + Odom together.

The moment he signs it, he retires mentally.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Nowitzki Way - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 01:46 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Alleged weight issues in college.
33 year old.
4 time NBA champion.
Leaving his beloved GS franchise/system.
Focused on his media career.
Character problems.
Signing his final big contract of four years.

I mean this one is as obvious as putting McGee + Redick + Odom together.

The moment he signs it, he retires mentally.

I dont think he's coming here. And not the first move i'd make. 

He'd be decent for this team, but he's not worth the money he wants.   

But he's better than Javale Lamar Redick (McGEE+Redick+Odom).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - SleepingHero - 06-26-2023

On this podcast MacMahon also said Bob Voulgaris told him that one of the reasons that the Mavs dumped Harrison Barnes in 2019 was because Rick Carlisle loved him so much that he kept running plays for HB at the expense of doing so for Luka

Harrison Barnes could be a potential free agent candidate for the #Pacers

“Rick Carlisle loves Harrison Barnes.”
-@espn_macmahon

PLEASE watch this video. Instead of salary dumping Barnes they should've been firing the coach if he deemed it better to focus on Barnes vs. Luka

https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/1673349359910395904?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

https://twitter.com/MFollowill/status/1673361628572835841?s=20

Mark Followill (@MFollowill)
A follow-up from my @MavsFilmRoom inspired tweet. I know it's funny to say someone shoots every time. I do it too. But, THJ does actually pass it (30 times/gm). His FGA/min were his lowest since 2015-16. He shot it 5th most often per min on last yr's team (Luka, Kai, Hardy, Wood)

Interesting.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqBqZ807nN0

Currently introducing the new rookies,

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Mavs2021 - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 02:43 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqBqZ807nN0

Hardy, Lively, Omax, AJ? Mavs are going to have a SL team that doesn´t look like it they collected them on the way to Vegas. Big Grin

(06-26-2023, 02:43 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqBqZ807nN0

Lots of great nuggets.

Most important one?

Kyrie has reserved himself a new number-11. THJ has changed his number to 10.

Is that not a confirmation that Kyrie is confirmed to return?

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1673420557650391041?s=20
Quote:Jersey news!

After the Nets trade, Tim Hardaway Jr. requested to change jerseys to No. 10 (DFS’ old number), and then Kyrie Irving wanted No. 11, so Dereck Lively II can wear No. 2

O-Max Prosper will wear No. 8.

Dorian's number should be retired.

(06-26-2023, 03:08 PM)cow Wrote: Dorian's number should be retired.

It probably will be. Just gonna have “Hardaway Jr” at the top of it when it goes up.

(06-26-2023, 03:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It probably will be. Just gonna have “Hardaway Jr” at the top of it when it goes up.

We are now enemies.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - dirkfansince1998 - 06-26-2023

Kidd talking about the young core and mentioning Hardy+Green gives me hope that both of them will still be on the roster when the season starts. If they actually view it like that and plan to build around a Luka/Hardy/Green/O-Max/Lively foundation I might start to buy into the "new approach".

RE: MAVS NEWS: Lively to wear #2, OMax #18, THJ #10...Kyrie #11? - cow - 06-26-2023

Hardy gives me long term hope. O'Max will be the ying to his yang.

(06-26-2023, 03:13 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Kidd talking about the young core and mentioning Hardy+Green gives me hope that both of them will still be on the roster when the season starts. If they actually view it like that and plan to build around a Luka/Hardy/Green/O-Max/Lively foundation I might start to buy into the "new approach".

Welcome! Not only do I think they’re serious about the direction, I expect all those dudes to play and contribute THIS YEAR.

(06-26-2023, 03:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Welcome! Not only do I think they’re serious about the direction, I expect all those dudes to play and contribute THIS YEAR.

My only fear is that historically a team of young players generally don't win all that much.

Luka isn't the typical youngin though... How much does he and Kyrie make a difference to that historical trend?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - dirkfansince1998 - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 03:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Welcome! Not only do I think they’re serious about the direction, I expect all those dudes to play and contribute THIS YEAR.

My main concern is Green´s contract. Honestly would prefer to overpay a little bit on an expansion instead of walking into another Brunson-like situation. Don´t let him enter FA. Even if he would be a RFA.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Ghost of Podkolzin - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 03:13 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Kidd talking about the young core and mentioning Hardy+Green gives me hope that both of them will still be on the roster when the season starts. If they actually view it like that and plan to build around a Luka/Hardy/Green/O-Max/Lively foundation I might start to buy into the "new approach".

I'd like to turn Green into a better fitting piece.  We need a defensive stud who's also a stretch big.  What about Green for Z.Collins?  IMO, it makes sense for both teams.

(06-26-2023, 03:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: My only fear is that historically a team of young players generally don't win all that much.

Luka isn't the typical youngin though... How much does he and Kyrie make a difference to that historical trend?

Sure, but what’s the downside? Either they do better than we expect or they have a bad season like last year, only this time with the arrow pointed UPWARD.

They are what they are. Glad to see they’re finally acknowledging it and doing something that has a chance of improving their situation.