MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Tyler - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 01:17 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: That is of course you think the Mavs are better off with Tobias Harris+Maxey for Kyrie. That is a different conversation.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Wink

And maybe Nico pulls another magic double trade and flips Harris for Ayton.

Luka/Maxey/Hardy/Green/OMax/Ayton/Lively would be quite the foundation. All under 25.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Scott41theMavs - 06-25-2023

You otherwise intelligent people are just killing me here by continuing to talk about the acquisition of a no-guts, no-heart, dinosaur center who is meh on defense and is paid $30 mil per year. That was toxic in the old CBA, now it's simply team suicide. Please stop, I beseech you all.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - cow - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 01:26 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: You otherwise intelligent people are just killing me here by continuing to talk about the acquisition of a no-guts, no-heart, dinosaur center who is meh on defense and is paid $30 mil per year. That was toxic in the old CBA, now it's simply team suicide. Please stop, I beseech you all.

What if I'm dumb and still don't want Ayton?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Tyler - 06-25-2023

Cool. Then keep Harris and just let him expire. Luka/Maxey/Hardy/Green/OMax/Lively and a clean cap sheet is also pretty great.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - mvossman - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 01:17 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: And PHI just has no realistic avenue of getting close to offering Kyrie any sort of contract. At all. They'd have to move off of Harris+Maxey for nothing, renounce all their team options, renounce all their FA rights, waive Melton, and then only then they'd have carved out about 50~ mil of cap space. They'd have Embiid, Kyrie, Tucker, House, around ~7 mil of space, MLE+BAE for 9 roster spots.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- you can ignore all of this because it doesn't really matter

Start here:

That is of course you think the Mavs are better off with Tobias Harris+Maxey for Kyrie. That is a different conversation. Does Harris+Maxey make you a better team than just keeping Kyrie?

Harris+Maxey combine for roughly 43 mil in salary. Maxey has been proven as a lethal SG. Harris is a fantastic 4th option scorer. Adding them to the roster:

Luka/Hardy/Vet min
Maxey/Green/
THJ/Bullock/Pinson
Harris/Maxi/OMP
Holmes/Lively/McGee
Total salaries: 159~ mil. Wouldn't the Mavs still be able to use the MLE here as well?

This is something I could get on board with.  Don't see Philly doing it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - SleepingHero - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 01:26 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: You otherwise intelligent people are just killing me here by continuing to talk about the acquisition of a no-guts, no-heart, dinosaur center who is meh on defense and is paid $30 mil per year. That was toxic in the old CBA, now it's simply team suicide. Please stop, I beseech you all.

I am dumb but Ayton would surprise you here.

Despite that the deal above is good enough I'm fine to move on from an Ayton deal. Harris+Maxey for Kyrie should still allow for the full MLE. 

THJ+Bullock+McGee can still be packaged for someone later down the line. MLE can be the starting 3. Harris the starting 4 and Maxi insurance. Maxey fills 80% of what Kyrie can do and is much younger (and won't need to be extended till next year). 

Seems like a no brainer to me.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - DanSchwartzgan - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 01:21 PM)Tyler Wrote: That's exactly what I'm saying. Wink

And maybe Nico pulls another magic double trade and flips Harris for Ayton.

Luka/Maxey/Hardy/Green/OMax/Ayton/Lively would be quite the foundation. All under 25.

Holy young studs Batman.  Give that crew a couple more years and WHAM, POW, BANG.  That could really be something.  You probably need one more defensive wing in this age range for the MLE.

I also like the version where we just keep Tobias.  Just takes longer to add another young stud, but at least it wouldn't duplicate Lively.

(06-25-2023, 01:03 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Me thinks thou doth protesteth too much...

Or the modern version...Please step away from the crack pipe.

For those who are interested, I don't think there is any way to do this in July from the Phoenix POV.  So, no inclusion of Wood or Holmes is possible.  So, if this is a thing (IF), Philly could take just THJ/Maxi in June.  They could also take all three of THJ, Maxi and McGee in a June deal.  They could also do THJ/Reggie/McGee.  BTW, I don't look at the supposed Moray comment to Cleveland as anything more than hyperbole.  

BTW, if you do the latter two versions that include McGee, there is room to also use the full MLE.  Rotation is probably:

Ayton/Lively/Holmes                Ayton/Lively/Holmes
MLE/O-Max/Min                      Maxi/O-Max/Min
Green/Reggie/Min      OR         Green/MLE/Min
Kyrie/Hardy/Min                      Kyrie/Hardy/Min
Luka/Min                                Luka/Min

If we had any thought to trading for Ayton, it would make absolutely zero sense to draft Lively.  They had their chance to trade for him prior to the draft.  I feel like the Lively pick shut the door to long term big salary centers.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - BigDirk41 - 06-25-2023

I would do Maxey and Harris for Kyrie. We would have a more balanced team and Maxey is a great young player.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Scott41theMavs - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 01:38 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I am dumb but Ayton would surprise you here.

Despite that the deal above is good enough I'm fine to move on from an Ayton deal. Harris+Maxey for Kyrie should still allow for the full MLE. 

THJ+Bullock+McGee can still be packaged for someone later down the line. MLE can be the starting 3. Harris the starting 4 and Maxi insurance. Maxey fills 80% of what Kyrie can do and is much younger (and won't need to be extended till next year). 

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Wasn't aware we were getting rid of Kyrie. Cool story.

Harris + Maxey really is the best we could expect if Kyrie didn't want to sign here. Not sure I buy that Morey does that for us. 

If Harris is just an expiring deal, then Ayton makes a bit more sense as the de facto second max surrounded by several dwarfs, as in Dan's post. Still hate him, but it's a little less killer if he has to step up to a bigger role. I doubt he can do that, but who knows.

(06-25-2023, 03:03 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I would do Maxey and Harris for Kyrie. We would have a more balanced team and Maxey is a great young player.

Of course you would. What I'm not sure of is that Morey would.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - F Gump - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 01:03 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: For those who are interested, I don't think there is any way to do this in July from the Phoenix POV.  So, no inclusion of Wood or Holmes is possible. 

Actually there is a workaround to allow the inclusion of Wood or Holmes if all the teams wanted to bother. (And sometimes teams go to great lengths to get their deal.)

The trick would be to make it a pair of 2-team deals, the 2nd one pre-agreed (but to be delayed), rather than a 3-way.

In June - Harris for Ayton
In July - Mavs pkg (which could include Holmes or Wood or both) for Ayton

Because I'm not a fan of Ayton on that contract, and because I don't want a team full of centers, I would include both Holmes and McGee in the outgoing, along with THJ. Not Kleber, who is likely to be key in your mix as a PF as much as a C.

In a 3-for-1, Mavs end up having to spend to fill 2 more roster slots (and PHI 2 less), so the net payroll for apron accounting is about a wash. (PHI gets a savings of about 800K.)

There is still room for the big MLE if Holmes is included, but signing Wood (then using him in a snt) changes the math considerably.

(06-25-2023, 03:13 PM)F Gump Wrote: Actually there is a workaround if all the teams wanted to bother. (And sometimes teams go to great lengths to get their deal.)

The trick would be to make it a pair of 2-team deals, the 2nd one pre-agreed (but to be delayed), rather than a 3-way.

Because I'm not a fan of Ayton on that contract, and because I don't want a team full of centers, I would include both Holmes and McGee in the outgoing, along with THJ. Not Kleber, who is likely to be key in your mix as a PF as much as a C.

In a 3-for-1, Mavs end up having to spend to fill 2 more roster slots (and PHI 2 less), so the net payroll for apron accounting is about a wash. (PHI gets a savings of about 800K.)

[Image: 1620234277641?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=p7TA...da9jXpH3PU]

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/dallas-mavs-sign-trade-draymond-green-golden-state-warriors-free-agency-rumors

Mavs receive: Draymond Green (sign-and-trade with new contract being four years, $100 million)
Warriors receive: Josh Green (sign-and-trade with new contract being four years, $50 million) and Maxi Kleber

-OR-

Mavs receive: Draymond Green (sign-and-trade with new contract being four years, $100 million)
Warriors receive: Tim Hardaway Jr., Maxi Kleber, 2027 first-round pick

I would love Draymond, but he would have to force his way here for that to happen.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - DanSchwartzgan - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 03:13 PM)F Gump Wrote: Actually there is a workaround to allow the inclusion of Wood or Holmes if all the teams wanted to bother. (And sometimes teams go to great lengths to get their deal.)

Well, they were more creative at the draft than we dreamed possible.

(06-25-2023, 03:19 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/dallas-mavs-sign-trade-draymond-green-golden-state-warriors-free-agency-rumors

Warriors receive: Josh Green (sign-and-trade with new contract being four years, $50 million) and Maxi Kleber

-OR-

Warriors receive: Tim Hardaway Jr., Maxi Kleber, 2027 first-round pick

Option C:

Neither deal and the Mavs keep all those guys and look elsewhere. Draymond would fit here as a defensive vet leader that can teach Luka how to win. But that price is insane. He ain't worth anything close to that. The 2nd deal, THJ+Maxi makes sense, but the inclusion of a first doesn't. Especially since the Mavs are the ones paying the exorbitant deal here.

https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/status/1673071812538761218?s=20

According to Mark Cuban, Nico Harrison identified OMax Prosper as a potential undrafted free agent target just a couple weeks after the Mavs’ season ended, but once he started rising up draft board, Nico remained adamant on finding a way to land him.

(06-25-2023, 04:28 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Option C:

Neither deal and the Mavs keep all those guys and look elsewhere. Draymond would fit here as a defensive vet leader that can teach Luka how to win. But that price is insane. He ain't worth anything close to that. The 2nd deal, THJ+Maxi makes sense, but the inclusion of a first doesn't. Especially since the Mavs are the ones paying the exorbitant deal here.

https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/status/1673071812538761218?s=20

According to Mark Cuban, Nico Harrison identified OMax Prosper as a potential undrafted free agent target just a couple weeks after the Mavs’ season ended, but once he started rising up draft board, Nico remained adamant on finding a way to land him.

I don't know what to say if you think that is too much for one of the most impactful players in the NBA. What he would add to this team, Kleber and Green will never touch. Plus he's rumored to want 4/100. That's so much better than Ayton's 33 plus you keep pushing. The impact he would have on this franchise and especially Luka go way beyond his stats. He is the motor of the Warriors.

(06-25-2023, 05:12 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I don't know what to say if you think that is too much for one of the most impactful players in the NBA. What he would add to this team, Kleber and Green will never touch. Plus he's rumored to want 4/100. That's so much better than Ayton's 33 plus you keep pushing. The impact he would have on this franchise and especially Luka go way beyond his stats. He is the motor of the Warriors.

Not excited about a 4 year contract for a 33 year old.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - The Jom - 06-25-2023

Draymond would foul out in 15 mins/game here. Fool’s gold.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - F Gump - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 05:39 PM)mvossman Wrote: Not excited about a 4 year contract for a 33 year old.

That's a good point - the point at which his game and impact ebbs away is probably not far away, and adding him may just be a short dead end.

But it's also a moot point. He'll be back in GS, with the aging castmates looking for their last title run.