MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - SleepingHero - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 09:44 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Maxi and THJ for a bona fide young, starting center who was the first pick in the draft and has already made one finals appearance as a “third best” player for just Maxi and THJ, two aging role players with questionable NBA futures and bad contracts?  What’s the problem?  Ok, if Maxi and THJ really have that kind of value (why would they), I’d use it for a different position that’s not a progress stopper for Lively, but in a vacuum, that trade is basically a give away. I’d file this under pipe dream.

I don't think any trade for Ayton would be a progress stopper for Lively. We need a starting center. I can very easily see a reality where Holmes isn't working, Lively isn't ready, and we're right back to starting Powell 25 mins a night.

But despite that I don't think PHX trades Ayton now. No one is offering anything of value and they aren't too desperate. Maybe if the season starts and their lack of depth is killing them they'd get more motivated but I can't see it now.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - khaled1987 - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 11:37 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: But despite that I don't think PHX trades Ayton now. No one is offering anything of value and they aren't too desperate. Maybe if the season starts and their lack of depth is killing them they'd get more motivated but I can't see it now.

The idea is that they want Tobis for Ayton,  although I don't get who will start at C for them.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - ThisIStheYear - 06-25-2023

I’m not against an Ayton for basically nothing trade. He won’t stop Lively’s  progress at first, but by sometime in year two, I think he could. And there’s no way they can share the court. But I’d still do this trade and sort it out later. Next year isn’t the year anyways. I just want the Mavs to win regular season games and develop players.

As for Maxi, I’m sorry to say that he’s awful. PER under 10. VORP of 0, very negative LEBRON, negative everything statistically, and he’s a near 7 footer who rebounds like a six footer, and that’s probably being generous. And that’s just when he can play. If he gets more than 15 minutes a game, he’s sure to suffer a longish term injury, which is why his production has fallen off a cliff. His body isn’t going to get better.  He’s a great dude, like a slightly better version of Pinson, but as a business proposition, the only reason to keep him at his salary is because he and Luka seem close, which isn’t nothing, but it’s not worth eight figures.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - cow - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 11:37 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't think any trade for Ayton would be a progress stopper for Lively. We need a starting center. I can very easily see a reality where Holmes isn't working, Lively isn't ready, and we're right back to starting Powell 25 mins a night.

But despite that I don't think PHX trades Ayton now. No one is offering anything of value and they aren't too desperate. Maybe if the season starts and their lack of depth is killing them they'd get more motivated but I can't see it now.

Holmes, Luka and Kyrie starting doesn't seem like that would work defensively.  Even if Lively picks up things quickly, he'll have the learning curves of the NBA to figure out so he isn't always in foul trouble.  I really think we'll see Powell or Maxi starting with the rest of the group getting heft minutes as well.   And that's the optimistic scenario where Holmes rounds back into form and Lively is a day one contributor.  

I think Phoenix would trade Ayton for pennies, nickels, or quarters on the dollar is you could give them three contributors.  Maybe they'd consider some combination of THJ, Maxi, Bullock, McGee and Holmes to give them depth.  Or maybe throw in a Wood S&T to the mix.  Trade machines are saying they can take back $40.4M.  

I don't really want any part of Ayton though.  Maybe if he were still on his rookie contract but his skillset seems a little outdated for the NBA as you can take him off the floor with matchups and that's not want I want to be spending $30+ on per year.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - mvossman - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 11:37 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't think any trade for Ayton would be a progress stopper for Lively. We need a starting center. I can very easily see a reality where Holmes isn't working, Lively isn't ready, and we're right back to starting Powell 25 mins a night.

I would rather start Powell 25 minutes a night for one season than have Ayton clogging up the center position for 3 years at 35 per.  The goal should be for Lively to get 20 minutes a game his first season and ideally start soon after.  Not sure how that happens with Ayton on the roster.

I think there is a reasonable chance Holmes has a rebound season.  There are a lot of reasons to think this is possible.  We bring in Ayton and we will never find out.  With Ayton and Lively, Holmes is not getting any minutes and he immediately becomes a dead asset that we are stuck with for two years unless we pay assets to dump him like Sacto did.

With the new CBA its a killer to spend elite money on good players.  Its why you see teams trying to dump those contracts.  Ayton is a good young center, but I don't see a path to elite.  We would have over 50 mil devoted to the 5 spot without an elite option.  Teams just can't operate that way, especially now.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - BigDirk41 - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 11:56 AM)mvossman Wrote: I would rather start Powell 25 minutes a night for one season than have Ayton clogging up the center position for 3 years at 35 per.  The goal should be for Lively to get 20 minutes a game his first season and ideally start soon after.  Not sure how that happens with Ayton on the roster.

I think there is a reasonable chance Holmes has a rebound season.  There are a lot of reasons to think this is possible.  We bring in Ayton and we will never find out.  With Ayton and Lively, Holmes is not getting any minutes and he immediately becomes a dead asset that we are stuck with for two years unless we pay assets to dump him like Sacto did.

With the new CBA its a killer to spend elite money on good players.  Its why you see teams trying to dump those contracts.  Ayton is a good young center, but I don't see a path to elite.  We would have over 50 mil devoted to the 5 spot without an elite option.  Teams just can't operate that way, especially now.

I absolutely despise Powell as a player, but I too would rather have him than Ayton and that salary. We just can't tie up that much money in a center that isn't a elite player.

(06-25-2023, 11:53 AM)cow Wrote: Holmes, Luka and Kyrie starting doesn't seem like that would work defensively.  Even if Lively picks up things quickly, he'll have the learning curves of the NBA to figure out so he isn't always in foul trouble.  I really think we'll see Powell or Maxi starting with the rest of the group getting heft minutes as well.   And that's the optimistic scenario where Holmes rounds back into form and Lively is a day one contributor.  

I think Phoenix would trade Ayton for pennies, nickels, or quarters on the dollar is you could give them three contributors.  Maybe they'd consider some combination of THJ, Maxi, Bullock, McGee and Holmes to give them depth.  Or maybe throw in a Wood S&T to the mix.  Trade machines are saying they can take back $40.4M.  

I don't really want any part of Ayton though.  Maybe if he were still on his rookie contract but his skillset seems a little outdated for the NBA as you can take him off the floor with matchups and that's not want I want to be spending $30+ on per year.

If you want to maximize defense before Lively is ready, then you probably start Maxi at center.  Otherwise I'm not sure Powell or even Ayton are better choices than Holmes defensively.  Holmes is a better rim protector than either of them, and a better rebounder than Powell.

With the Lively pick and getting back into the draft tells me the FO is not aiming for a championship this season.  They are actually looking a little longer term than previously.  If that is the mindset, then you don't spend more assets at the center position (other than possibly Powell) unless/until you determine Lively is not going to be the long term solution.

(06-25-2023, 11:52 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I’m not against an Ayton for basically nothing trade. He won’t stop Lively’s  progress at first, but by sometime in year two, I think he could. And there’s no way they can share the court. But I’d still do this trade and sort it out later. Next year isn’t the year anyways. I just want the Mavs to win regular season games and develop players.

As for Maxi, I’m sorry to say that he’s awful. PER under 10. VORP of 0, very negative LEBRON, negative everything statistically, and he’s a near 7 footer who rebounds like a six footer, and that’s probably being generous. And that’s just when he can play. If he gets more than 15 minutes a game, he’s sure to suffer a longish term injury, which is why his production has fallen off a cliff. His body isn’t going to get better.  He’s a great dude, like a slightly better version of Pinson, but as a business proposition, the only reason to keep him at his salary is because he and Luka seem close, which isn’t nothing, but it’s not worth eight figures.

Maxi had a bad injury riddled season last year, but if you look at a really big sample (the last several seasons) you see that this team is always significantly better defensively when he is on the court than when he is off.  Last season the team defense was so bad he could not salvage it, but in seasons past he was the most consistently positive force on defense.  I realize his offense is very limited and comes and goes, but for a team that is desperately trying to improve its defense (and has huge question marks at the 4 and 5) he still holds value.

(06-25-2023, 12:10 PM)mvossman Wrote: If you want to maximize defense before Lively is ready, then you probably start Maxi at center.  Otherwise I'm not sure Powell or even Ayton are better choices than Holmes defensively.  Holmes is a better rim protector than either of them, and a better rebounder than Powell.

With the Lively pick and getting back into the draft tells me the FO is not aiming for a championship this season.  They are actually looking a little longer term than previously.  If that is the mindset, then you don't spend more assets at the center position (other than possibly Powell) unless/until you determine Lively is not going to be the long term solution.

Issue is if Maxi can stay healthy.  You could be right about Holmes, but we really don't know what he is or how he fits.  Powell has actually become more important to sign, I just hope he doesn't get more than the veteran minimum.  

I do think the Mavs are being more forward looking, but they'll want to compete while building up the roster.  There is no reason to sign Kyrie otherwise and we will give him a massive contract.  Nico also said that the FO isn't done.  A lot of the piecemeal bigs on the roster might not even be here.

(06-25-2023, 11:46 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: The idea is that they want Tobis for Ayton,  although I don't get who will start at C for them.

I totally understand that the rumor is they want Tobias for Ayton. But if Morey's supposed asking price from CLE for Tobias was Mobley+Allen+FRP, then one can assume the asking price for a 3-team trade where the team that receives Ayton gets the luxury of paying Kyrie+Hardy+Green+FRP to Philly. 

Of course that's silly. No shot it would ever happen. The realistic alternative of THJ+Maxi for Ayton I'm on board with, but there are a lot of signals PHX is sending out that they've surveyed the landscape of Ayton trades and don't like where his value is at and aren't going to sell low.

Gambo (PHX's Stein) says as such and goes so far as to say this PHI rumor is total BS: 
Quote:https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/1672971404919316480

This is incredible just total BS. Suns have no interest. Once again - I do NOT expect them to trade Ayton..

Haynes echoes the same point: 
Quote:Phoenix Suns are moving forward with the plan of keeping Deandre Ayton to play alongside Devin Booker, Kevin Durant and Bradley Beal, league sources tell @NBAonTNT, @BleacherReport.
https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1672995568099160064?s=20

https://twitter.com/chrisbhaynes/status/1672996546324082688?s=46&t=xNHF873rjt7IFVxyn62T2g
Suns believe Ayton’s value to the franchise is at an all-time high with the additions of Beal and Durant. Phoenix wants to see them play together.

Yet despite these guys clearly saying the Ayton market has closed, one has to wonder:
Quote:"Deandre Ayton's value to the franchise is at an all-time high" is a thing the Suns are leaking about Deandre Ayton, whose value to the franchise is such that it needs to be leaked that his value to the franchise is at an all-time high.

https://twitter.com/perdhapleynba/status/1673002313651200001?s=46&t=whLvje1nnUIC2GVBVD1v8w

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Jakeospikez - 06-25-2023

Imo all these random rumors the Mavs are being dragged into are for multi-team deals that the Mavs would be used for salary matching and other stuff rather than the primary trade target (Harris, Ayton etc). Mavs help facilitate the deal by throwing in the likes of THJ/Bullock/McGee for short term deals that help the deal get finished and get some other roleplayers that they're interested in in return. I could see something like the Hawks wanting Tobias' mega expiring to shed their long term money while also getting a starting PF plus his bird rights and Philly getting like Hunter plus picks in return, then the Mavs help by sending THJ/Bullock to Philly for shooting depth cause Philly doesn't want all of Atl's bad money for picks. Who they get depends on what other teams get dragged in I guess but I doubt the Mavs are trying to directly target someone like Harris/Ayton. Harris would be fine here but since that expiring is pretty valuable with the new CBA, he'll cost picks that the Mavs can't really afford.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Tyler - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 12:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I totally understand that the rumor is they want Tobias for Ayton. But if Morey's supposed asking price from CLE for Tobias was Mobley+Allen+FRP, then one can assume the asking price for a 3-team trade where the team that receives Ayton gets the luxury of paying Kyrie+Hardy+Green+FRP to Philly. 

I believe you're thinking about the math wrong. The rumor that Morey wants 2 good players and a FRP for Harris certainly sounds strange, unless you think about players that have recently been valued at 2 good players and a FRP. Kyrie is EXACTLY the type of big name that Morey chases all the time, and my tinfoil-constructed Morey propaganda translator is indicating that he's sending a public message that most people are missing.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Jakeospikez - 06-25-2023

Maxi is fine here as long as his minutes are kept low and he's used as depth. His 3&D skillset fits with pretty much any big. Nobody is going to go into a game and say, lets leave Maxi wide open for 3. He's already doing his job. His defense is fine and he's on a below MLE contract. He should be kept because of the lineup versatility and not looking at wack box score metrics.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - DanSchwartzgan - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 12:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I totally understand that the rumor is they want Tobias for Ayton. But if Morey's supposed asking price from CLE for Tobias was Mobley+Allen+FRP, then one can assume the asking price for a 3-team trade where the team that receives Ayton gets the luxury of paying Kyrie+Hardy+Green+FRP to Philly. 

Of course that's silly. No shot it would ever happen. The realistic alternative of THJ+Maxi for Ayton I'm on board with, but there are a lot of signals PHX is sending out that they've surveyed the landscape of Ayton trades and don't like where his value is at and aren't going to sell low.

Gambo (PHX's Stein) says as such and goes so far as to say this PHI rumor is total BS: 

Haynes echoes the same point: 

Yet despite these guys clearly saying the Ayton market has closed, one has to wonder:

Me thinks thou doth protesteth too much...

Or the modern version...Please step away from the crack pipe.

For those who are interested, I don't think there is any way to do this in July from the Phoenix POV.  So, no inclusion of Wood or Holmes is possible.  So, if this is a thing (IF), Philly could take just THJ/Maxi in June.  They could also take all three of THJ, Maxi and McGee in a June deal.  They could also do THJ/Reggie/McGee.  BTW, I don't look at the supposed Moray comment to Cleveland as anything more than hyperbole.  

BTW, if you do the latter two versions that include McGee, there is room to also use the full MLE.  Rotation is probably:

Ayton/Lively/Holmes                Ayton/Lively/Holmes
MLE/O-Max/Min                      Maxi/O-Max/Min
Green/Reggie/Min      OR         Green/MLE/Min
Kyrie/Hardy/Min                      Kyrie/Hardy/Min
Luka/Min                                Luka/Min

(06-25-2023, 12:23 PM)cow Wrote: Issue is if Maxi can stay healthy.  You could be right about Holmes, but we really don't know what he is or how he fits.  Powell has actually become more important to sign, I just hope he doesn't get more than the veteran minimum.  

I do think the Mavs are being more forward looking, but they'll want to compete while building up the roster.  There is no reason to sign Kyrie otherwise and we will give him a massive contract.  Nico also said that the FO isn't done.  A lot of the piecemeal bigs on the roster might not even be here.

The uncertainty of Holmes does make this tough.  The ideal answer is Powell on a min contract, but they might have to go BAE to keep him.  If I read the numbers right, Kyrie will have to take a fairly big haircut to allow for both full MLE and BAE.

(06-25-2023, 12:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Yet despite these guys clearly saying the Ayton market has closed, one has to wonder:

I don't think anyone has to wonder.  The Suns statements are obviously bullshit.  He's currently on the roster so you float out pleasantries when asked, similar to how the Mavs always did with KP.  He's the only thing they have and would be willing to trade to help round out the roster.  They didn't really want to give him that contract in the first place but didn't want to lose him for nothing.  That's still the case.  They aren't going to give him away.  They'll want contributing pieces in return.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Tyler - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 01:03 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: BTW, if you do the latter two versions that include McGee, there is room to also use the full MLE.  Rotation is probably:

Ayton/Lively/Min                     Ayton/Lively/Min
MLE/O-Max/Min                      Maxi/O-Max/Min
Green/Reggie/Min      OR         Green/MLE/Min
Kyrie/Hardy/Min                      Kyrie/Hardy/Min
Luka/Min                                Luka/Min

Love both options. And since Holmes isn't in your lineups, I wonder what level of wing Dallas could get for him in a trade.

(06-25-2023, 01:06 PM)mvossman Wrote: The ideal answer is Powell on a min contract, but they might have to go BAE to keep him. 

I can't imagine anyone would compete for his services above a league minimum.  And if they do, you thank him and wish him well.  Roll the dice with another vet minimum big for a year.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - DanSchwartzgan - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 01:11 PM)Tyler Wrote: Love both options. And since Holmes isn't in your lineups, I wonder what level of wing Dallas could get for him in a trade.

Dang it.  You replied before I could fix it.  I do have him in my spreadsheet.  Trading him later would make sense.

(06-25-2023, 12:52 PM)Tyler Wrote: I believe you're thinking about the math wrong. The rumor that Morey wants 2 good players and a FRP for Harris certainly sounds strange, unless you think about players that have recently been valued at 2 good players and a FRP. Kyrie is EXACTLY the type of big name that Morey chases all the time, and my tinfoil-constructed Morey propaganda translator is indicating that he's sending a public message that most people are missing.

And PHI just has no realistic avenue of getting close to offering Kyrie any sort of contract. At all. They'd have to move off of Harris+Maxey for nothing, renounce all their team options, renounce all their FA rights, waive Melton, and then only then they'd have carved out about 50~ mil of cap space. They'd have Embiid, Kyrie, Tucker, House, around ~7 mil of space, MLE+BAE for 9 roster spots.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- you can ignore all of this because it doesn't really matter

Start here:

That is of course you think the Mavs are better off with Tobias Harris+Maxey for Kyrie. That is a different conversation. Does Harris+Maxey make you a better team than just keeping Kyrie?

Harris+Maxey combine for roughly 43 mil in salary. Maxey has been proven as a lethal SG. Harris is a fantastic 4th option scorer. Adding them to the roster:

Luka/Hardy/Vet min
Maxey/Green/
THJ/Bullock/Pinson
Harris/Maxi/OMP
Holmes/Lively/McGee
Total salaries: 159~ mil. Wouldn't the Mavs still be able to use the MLE here as well?