MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - SkenfromLMF - 06-25-2023

A couple of days worth of digestion from Thursday has me starting to believe in this Front Office *.
Dallas started the night with the 10th Pick valued at 1720 on a 4000 (#1) scale.
The trade with OKC netted the 12th pick scale valued at 1500 and $16 million worth of Trade Exception
Dallas used the TE get Holmes and acquire the 24th pick scale valued at 750

So Dallas nets 2250 in scaled draft value and between $3-4 million in TE, in exchange for 1720 scaled draft value...

* Now I would also say that something similar happened last year acquiring Christian Wood. However, it does not appear that Kidd was on board with Wood being on HIS team at all. That said, it appears Nico & Co have acquired Kidd types this summer. IF Kidd has similar issues (communication) he needs to go.

I have flipped and flopped on Kidd. Hated him replacing Carlisle, WCF run abated my fears, got comfortable with Kidd and last year happened. I will give him the benefit of the doubt regarding Wood (4 other teams felt similarly, and the other 25 don’t appear to be creating a line for his services), but it cannot happen again where he completely destroys any value of an asset.

Turn this thing around or get a new captain! The engine room (F/O) has been deemed operational!!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 02:15 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: * Now I would also say that something similar happened last year acquiring Christian Wood. However, it does not appear that Kidd was on board with Wood being on HIS team at all. That said, it appears Nico & Co have acquired Kidd types this summer. IF Kidd has similar issues (communication) he needs to go.

Kidd needs to go regardless.
Just a less than mediocre coach who does not show a lick of accountability.
And I'm even counting how he handled Wood in the equation.

I still don't think Wood was Nico's mistake. JKidd just couldn't make it work.
Now Nico has made these brilliant moves and the weakest link now isn't exactly the lineup, nor Nico -- it's Kidd's coaching, or lack thereof.

This season could feel like a fresh start, but with Kidd around, I don't think the team's full potential could be reached.
This team will win despite of Kidd and not because of him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - DallasMaverick - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 03:09 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Kidd needs to go regardless.
Just a less than mediocre coach who does not show a lick of accountability.
And I'm even counting how he handled Wood in the equation.

I still don't think Wood was Nico's mistake. JKidd just couldn't make it work.
Now Nico has made these brilliant moves and the weakest link now isn't exactly the lineup, nor Nico -- it's Kidd's coaching, or lack thereof.

This season could feel like a fresh start, but with Kidd around, I don't think the team's full potential could be reached.
This team will win despite of Kidd and not because of him.

That's an interesting theory.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Chicagojk - 06-25-2023

Man, I am just so thrilled with the moves over the past week. Time will tell if they made the right moves and hopefully more roster improvement moves happen as we move into FA. But all the moves the Mavs have made go in the direction of the vision I hoped the Mavs front office had while building around Luka and probably Kyrie.

1) draft a young guy who fits around a star(s) and something this franchise has lacked- Lively
2) Find another youngish prospect in the draft. I had hoped this would be a second round pick, but they got a first round pick- Omax
3) Look for a distressed asset. Now these are gambles and may not work out, but that is the game-- Holmes
4) Be aggressive in the UDFA market and sign a two way guy who has NBA toughness- Miles
5) keep most of your limited assets to be opportunistic for another move

I really hope the Mavs find at least one more good perimeter player this offseason. Last year, they had a ton of reasons why their defense sucked. I like adding more bodies who you can throw at the good/great perimeter scorers. Great scorers are so good that you can do everything right and they can still score 40 on you. But I want guys who will battle. Beat you to the spot, put a body on you, contest shots, not give cheap fouls, etc. Hopefully OMax can develop into this type player. I think Josh and Maxi are two other ones. Bullock was one, but hopefully they find at least one more guy to fill this spot. If you are a perimeter player with no rim protection, it makes your job really hard. Wing players had very little resistance last year when they got into the lane against the Mavs. Now, we will hopefully have more perimeter players who can play aggressively on the perimeter knowing they have better rim protection this year. It may take Lively some time, but that is my hope.

So while the offseason is really just beginning, the first week gets a big thumbs up for me.

Jason Terry - Jason Terry - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 08:34 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Man, I am just so thrilled with the moves over the past week.  Time will tell if they made the right moves and hopefully more roster improvement moves happen as we move into FA.  But all the moves the Mavs have made go in the direction of the vision I hoped the Mavs front office had while building around Luka and probably Kyrie. 

1) draft a young guy who fits around a star(s) and something this franchise has lacked- Lively
2) Find another youngish prospect in the draft. I had hoped this would be a second round pick, but they got a first round pick- Omax
3) Look for a distressed asset.  Now these are gambles and may not work out, but that is the game-- Holmes
4) Be aggressive in the UDFA market and sign a two way guy who has NBA toughness- Miles
5) keep most of your limited assets to be opportunistic for another move

I really hope the Mavs find at least one more good perimeter player this offseason.  Last year, they had a ton of reasons why their defense sucked.  I like adding more bodies who you can throw at the good/great perimeter scorers.  Great scorers are so good that you can do everything right and they can still score 40 on you.  But I want guys who will battle.  Beat you to the spot, put a body on you, contest shots, not give cheap fouls, etc.  Hopefully OMax can develop into this type player.  I think Josh and Maxi are two other ones.  Bullock was one, but hopefully they find at least one more guy to fill this spot.    If you are a perimeter player with no rim protection, it makes your job really hard.  Wing players had very little resistance last year when they got into the lane against the Mavs.  Now, we will hopefully have more perimeter players who can play aggressively on the perimeter knowing they have better rim protection this year.  It may take Lively some time, but that is my hope.

So while the offseason is really just beginning, the first week gets a big thumbs up for me.
I feel the same way. I’m still shocked over the moves. It was perfect. They checked off so many boxes. And there’s still more to go

RE: Jason Terry - Chicagojk - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 08:55 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: I feel the same way. I’m still shocked over the moves. It was perfect. They checked off so many boxes. And there’s still more to go

Yeah, we will see if they made the right direction.  Last year was just brutal basketball to watch.  They had a top player but literally did none of the winning things.   What made it so frustrating was the previous year they did most of the winning things right.   Even in a brutal year, most of the Mavs games were close.  They did themselves no favors to give them advantages in close games.   Now close games are tough year to year.  Some years you win more than you lose, other years it is the opposite.    

So I wanted to upgrade the talent of the roster but also focus on players who can impact winning.   Tough players.   Making it a little harder for the other team to score.  Limit the easy baskets.   Limit the turnovers (Mavs are typically good here).  Make your free throws (Not good at this).   Rebound better on both the defensive and offensive glass.  Win the hustle plays.

Winning in the NBA is really tough.  But the formula can be really easy to get there.  Finding those players in the right scheme is the hard part.   It is much easier to get there when you have a franchise player already.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - HAguiar95 - 06-25-2023

IMO we're still ways to go.

I think we've underestimated Wood's departure. Even though he was a bad defender, he provided a very good spark off the bench in terms off scoring (C&S, Foul Drawing), efficiency and rebounding. I really don't want to rely on Thimothy or Hardy to get buckets every game. Maybe re-sign him as a 6th man? Options are very limited.

I know we're not close to finished, but right now:

Offense: B+ (Probably 8th-12th in the league) - We lack of another ball-handler (I'm low on Hardy) and reliable scorer other than Doncic/Irving.

Rim pressure - B-
Paint production - C+
Mid-range - B
3pt-shooting - B
Playmaking - B+
Self Creation - B+
Foul Drawing - B+
Off Ball - C-
Free Throws - D
Catch and Shoot - B+
Turnovers - A
Offensive rebounding - F

Defense: C- (probably 22nd-26th in the league). Still major concearns over rebounding and rim-protection. Have not added a starting caliber defender to play with Luka/Irving. Relying on Green/Bullock/THJ to cover for them on rotations is our demise.

Point of Attack - C+
Post defense - C
Rim protection - D
Versatility - C
Help defense - C-
Perimeter defense - C
Defensive rebounding - D
Generating turnovers - C-

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - DanSchwartzgan - 06-25-2023

Don't shoot the messenger...

This Philly based "multi-media journalist" sees the Tobias Harris deal being:

Harris to Phoenix
Ayton to Dallas
Maxi/THJ to Philly

That may just be painful enough to be realistic.  Obviously, it assumes Phoenix really wants Tobias and Philly isn't asking for the sun, stars AND the moon. Math doesn't work for Phoenix in July. I'd have to check on June, but heading out the door.

https://twitter.com/louallendoc/status/1672797453945282560?s=46&t=Ofn9ihgBPdBFQJpnkEDS0A

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - vfromlmf - 06-25-2023

Seems like Dallas would have more use for Harris than Ayton at this point but a Holmes bounce-back is only a guess and LIvely could take a couple of years. Ayton gets picked on by the media but he's an awesome talent and very good.

Is Louallen the guy who called Kyrie for SD + DFS?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - khaled1987 - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 09:22 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Don't shoot the messenger...

Harris to Phoenix
Ayton to Dallas
Maxi/THJ to Philly

That may just be painful enough to be realistic.  Obviously, it assumes Phoenix really wants Tobias and Philly isn't asking for the sun, stars AND the moon.  Math doesn't work for Phoenix in July.  I'd have to check on June, but heading out the door.

https://twitter.com/louallendoc/status/1672797453945282560?s=46&t=Ofn9ihgBPdBFQJpnkEDS0A

Tim and Wood S&T works for me tbh

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - DanSchwartzgan - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 09:33 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: Tim and Wood S&T works for me tbh

Wood is July and no way Phoenix can take Harris for Ayton in July.

Holmes could sub for Maxi in June (that would be Holmes going...Back...to Philly).

Harris to Phoenix
Ayton to Dallas
Maxi/THJ to Philly

That may just be painful enough to be realistic.  Obviously, it assumes Phoenix really wants Tobias and Philly isn't asking for the sun, stars AND the moon.  Math doesn't work for Phoenix in July.  I'd have to check on June, but heading out the door.

I actually like that(Ayton) more now than before the draft. We would just let him walk after his deal is up and pay Lively. Or if he somehow becomes a good player we could keep him and trade Lively once he’s developed. 

Only if it’s a good deal though. I wouldn’t include Maxi 

THJ/Reggie/Mcgee to Philly. It would leave us thin on the wing so we’d need to address that with Brown and some vet mins

Ayton/Holmes/Lively
Love/Maxi/O-Max
Brown/Green/Ingles
Kyrie/Hardy
Luka/Dragic

Edit: even better, sub in Holmes, re-sign Powell and keep Bullock

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - ThisIStheYear - 06-25-2023

Harris to Phoenix
Ayton to Dallas
Maxi/THJ to Philly

Maxi and THJ for a bona fide young, starting center who was the first pick in the draft and has already made one finals appearance as a “third best” player for just Maxi and THJ, two aging role players with questionable NBA futures and bad contracts?  What’s the problem?  Ok, if Maxi and THJ really have that kind of value (why would they), I’d use it for a different position that’s not a progress stopper for Lively, but in a vacuum, that trade is basically a give away. I’d file this under pipe dream.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - BigDirk41 - 06-25-2023

Harris to Phoenix
Ayton to Dallas
Maxi/THJ to Philly

This isn't aimed at you Dan, but I have had it with the Ayton to Dallas rumors and will be EXTREMELY disappointed if that's our big move. We cannot afford to pay his salary in the current CBA. If someone could assure me that they could fix Ayton and give him some heart out on the court, I could live with it. His problem is he doesn't give 100% at all times.

(06-25-2023, 09:29 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Seems like Dallas would have more use for Harris than Ayton at this point but a Holmes bounce-back is only a guess and LIvely could take a couple of years. Ayton gets picked on by the media but he's an awesome talent and very good.

Is Louallen the guy who called Kyrie for SD + DFS?
I would rather have Harris too. Would rather cut out Phoenix and get him. 

Phoenix and Atlanta seem destined to trade with each other

If Ayton made 20-25 per year, I'd be all over this by the way.

(06-25-2023, 09:47 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: I would rather have Harris too. Would rather cut out Phoenix and get him. 

Phoenix and Atlanta seem destined to trade with each other
Suns get: Collins and Capela

Hawks get: Ayton and Payne and stay out of the tax.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Tyler - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 09:48 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: If Ayton made 20-25 per year, I'd be all over this by the way.

How much would you expect to pay for a good backup big man? MLE money ($12mm)? So if you'd happily pay Ayton $25mm and sign a good backup, you're looking at paying $37mm for the center rotation. What if I told you that Ayton + Lively would cost control your center position in that range for the next 4 years? 

Nico said he wanted to completely remake the Mavs frontcourt. Drafting Lively and OMax while trading vets for Ayton would certainly accomplish that. Ayton would start, Lively would be an A+ backup and have the space to develop. And if you hopefully reach a point where you have to pick one or the other either because Lively is so damn good that he's gonna get paid, then you pick your favorite and trade the other. You can't go wrong with accumulating talent and dealing from a position of strength.

So if Dallas can get Ayton for THJ and Maxi alone, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The next immediate steps would be to dump Holmes and McGee for more useful players, but that seems reasonably doable. And BTW, if THJ/Maxi is real then I would expect Dallas to include McGee in the deal to keep it salary-neutral and preserve their MLE options.

Luka/Hardy/Green/OMax/Ayton/Lively -- Even before thinking about Kyrie, that's the type of exciting young core (all under 25) we've been wanting for ages.

(06-25-2023, 10:09 AM)Tyler Wrote: How much would you expect to pay for a good backup big man? MLE money ($12mm)? So if you'd happily pay Ayton $25mm and sign a good backup, you're looking at paying $37mm for the center rotation. What if I told you that Ayton + Lively would cost control your center position in that range for the next 4 years? 

Nico said he wanted to completely remake the Mavs frontcourt. Drafting Lively and OMax while trading vets for Ayton would certainly accomplish that. Ayton would start, Lively would be an A+ backup and have the space to develop. And if you hopefully reach a point where you have to pick one or the other either because Lively is so damn good that he's gonna get paid, then you pick your favorite and trade the other. You can't go wrong with accumulating talent and dealing from a position of strength.

So if Dallas can get Ayton for THJ and Maxi alone, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The next immediate steps would be to dump Holmes and McGee for more useful players, but that seems reasonably doable. And BTW, if THJ/Maxi is real then I would expect Dallas to include McGee in the deal to keep it salary-neutral and preserve their MLE options.

Luka/Hardy/Green/OMax/Ayton/Lively -- Even before thinking about Kyrie, that's the type of exciting young core (all under 25) we've been wanting for ages.

I'm not a cap expert but I think 37 mill per year tied up into the 5 spot and it not be elite sounds like a bad move to me, but that being said, if you are saying we would still have the MLE and BAE, then I'm ok with it. I personally don't want to give up Maxi for Ayton. I think that minimizes the improvement because of his unique defensive abilities and 3 point shooting.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 06-25-2023

(06-25-2023, 10:31 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I personally don't want to give up Maxi for Ayton. I think that minimizes the improvement because of his unique defensive abilities and 3 point shooting.

Seems crazy to think people wouldn't give up Maxi for a C with stats like Ayton has.
But I'm with you on this.

Mavs traded DFS for offense-only Kyrie and the wheels came off.
I'd expect the same thing happens if you trade away Maxi with an offense-only C like Ayton.

Yes the Mavs have Omax and Lively, both known for their defense, but it would take time for them to contribute. It would be unwise and unfair to expect them to be good NBA calibre defenders on day 1.
The same goes for Richaun. Mavs shouldn't expect him to be a contributor after his disastrous year with the Kings.

Trading away Maxi means, there's going to be no front court player who could defend (GWilliams doesn't count -- still not with the Mavs and too small).
If the Mavs plan on trading for Ayton, they'd better be sure Maxi isn't included on a deal, or at least, have a front court player above 6'9" who's an established defender.