MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? | Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Dorsey on two-way? - Smitty - 07-07-2022

Luka-Brunson-Bullock-DFS-Maxi
Dinwiddie-                                 Frank-Green-Bertans-Powell

We had 6 guys that were ‘playable’ for a team that made it to the WCF and lost to the eventual Warriors dynasty. Before free agency started the FO made a trade that added Wood (A+). The stated priorities since that trade and before free agency was:

1) resign Brunson (Cuban saying we can pay the most)
2) add a playoff rotation Wing
3) add to the front court (rim protection/rebounding emphasis)

Had they done the three things, they themselves prioritized, they would be indisputable contenders IMO and build off of a great season. As it stands, the Mavs have added McGee (who has his own Powell-like playoff performances or lack thereof) and lost Brunson in free agency. Which means you still need a playoff rotation Wing, in addition to THJ (whom we already had prior to FA) and now a highly efficient scoring ball handler.

The people on this board that are saying common sense tells me the Mavs can’t be done or wait and see, the big trade is coming - aren’t dealing in reality. The Mavs are who they are. Every free agency period is like Groundhog Day. Thank God for Luka!

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? | Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Dorsey on two-way? - SleepingHero - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 12:36 PM)Kammrath Wrote: That's not on Nico. 

It's 1000% on Nico to not plan for this type of event. If he thought JB had this lifelong dream to be a Knick, he should've traded him. 

But I agree with you this offseason isn't even remotely close to a "disaster" YET. I feel like we're only 40% there on being done given our roster holes. How Nico (or Cuban) navigates the rest of the offseason will help me decide if it was a disaster.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? | Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Dorsey on two-way? - Jym - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 05:52 PM)Smitty Wrote: Luka-Brunson-Bullock-DFS-Maxi
Dinwiddie-                                 Frank-Green-Bertans-Powell

We had 6 guys that were ‘playable’ for a team that made it to the WCF and lost to the eventual Warriors dynasty. Before free agency started the FO made a trade that added Wood (A+). The stated priorities since that trade and before free agency was:

1) resign Brunson (Cuban saying we can pay the most)
2) add a playoff rotation Wing
3) add to the front court (rim protection/rebounding emphasis)

Had they done the three things, they themselves prioritized, they would be indisputable contenders IMO and build off of a great season. As it stands, the Mavs have added McGee (who has his own Powell-like playoff performances or lack thereof) and lost Brunson in free agency. Which means you still need a playoff rotation Wing, in addition to THJ (whom we already had prior to FA) and now a highly efficient scoring ball handler.

The people on this board that are saying common sense tells me the Mavs can’t be done or wait and see, the big trade is coming - aren’t dealing in reality. The Mavs are who they are. Every free agency period is like Groundhog Day. Thank God for Luka!

Yeah sad to see that money won out
We got Sarvered
So I don't see any scenario where we now use Brunson is a s&t to bring in comparable salary. Cuban is not doing that.
We just have to hope we can turn Powell and bits (maybe THJ) into someone more useful

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? | Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Dorsey on two-way? - Jommybone - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 06:08 PM)Jym Wrote: Yeah sad to see that money won out
We got Sarvered
So I don't see any scenario where we now use Brunson is a s&t to bring in comparable salary. Cuban is not doing that.
We just have to hope we can turn Powell and bits (maybe THJ) into someone more useful

I dunno. Egg on his face might be when he’s most likely to overspend.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? | Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Dorsey on two-way? - soog - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 06:04 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: It's 1000% on Nico to not plan for this type of event. If he thought JB had this lifelong dream to be a Knick, he should've traded him. 

But I agree with you this offseason isn't even remotely close to a "disaster" YET. I feel like we're only 40% there on being done given our roster holes. How Nico (or Cuban) navigates the rest of the offseason will help me decide if it was a disaster.

Do you tell your employer that you are interviewing with other companies and plan on leaving, or do you say all the right things until the offer is on your desk in order to keep all of your options open?

Remember, we are all playing "Monday Morning GM" with the news about his lifelong desire to be a Knick and with the perspective his playoff performance gives us. And people continue to ignore that this situation only exists because Donnie did a terrible job negotiating Brunson's rookie contract.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? | Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Dorsey on two-way? - Kammrath - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 06:04 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: It's 1000% on Nico to not plan for this type of event.

According to Skin Wade he did. And they have a plan they like just as much as re-signing JB. Let's watch and see if that unfolds.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | Hardy to sign 3-yr deal - mvossman - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 04:19 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I think it's too early to do a post-mortem on this offseason yet. I'm waiting for the shoe to drop on most likely two if not three more moves.

If we're sitting here with this roster at the end of July, then I'm on board with your point. Having just two trustworthy PGs is pretty nightmarish. But the common sense side of me presumes that there's no way we're going into the season without addressing that concern, and perhaps one or two others.

To be perfectly clear, this was a response to the statement that if the offseason ended now then it would be graded a B.  I hard disagreed with that statement.  I understand that the offseason is not over, and I do hold some hope that there will be a trade to improve the situation, but my hopes are not too high.  I have been burned too many times.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? | Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Dorsey on two-way? - soog - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 07:43 PM)Kammrath Wrote: According to Skin Wade he did. And they have a plan they like just as much as re-signing JB. Let's watch and see if that unfolds.

When/where did he say this? I’d love for a bit more context if there was any.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? | Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Dorsey on two-way? - mvossman - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 07:43 PM)Kammrath Wrote: According to Skin Wade he did. And they have a plan they like just as much as re-signing JB. Let's watch and see if that unfolds.

So if this plan falls apart because of excuses (Durant, Irving, whatever) are we willing to ding Nico for it, or are we going to blame everything on Cuban/FO/circumstances for the end result?  This was the point of my original post that got wildly sidetracked because folks wanted to argue about the state of this offseason.  My primary point is that it seems like Nico gets all of the credit for good moves, but none of the blame for bad ones because of the (irrational) hope that he is going to fix the long term dysfunction.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? | Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Dorsey on two-way? - Kammrath - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 09:58 PM)mvossman Wrote: So if this plan falls apart because of excuses (Durant, Irving, whatever) are we willing to ding Nico for it, or are we going to blame everything on Cuban/FO/circumstances for the end result?  This was the point of my original post that got wildly sidetracked because folks wanted to argue about the state of this offseason.  My primary point is that it seems like Nico gets all of the credit for good moves, but none of the blame for bad ones because of the (irrational) hope that he is going to fix the long term dysfunction.

Well I cannot answer for anyone else, but my post history very clearly demonstrates that Cuban is not the go-to scapegoat for me. As far as I am concerned, credit and blame will go to Nico unless there is clear evidence otherwise.

(07-07-2022, 09:58 PM)soog Wrote: When/where did he say this? I’d love for a bit more context if there was any.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1248-the-ben-and-skin-show-57481902/episode/keep-it-or-bleep-itgina-miller-98958837/

Quotes from him in the episode:

Quote:"it is very unlikely they are keeping Dwight Powell"

"I suspect they are gearing up to make a big trade...for a wing player, I would think a deal would happen by the end of August"
(DP, Maxi, Wood, and THJ are the names mentioned around this deal)

"I think they definitely want a wing...they plan on getting that wing through a trade...like the rest of the league they are waiting on the Durant [situation to resolve]"

"if the risk was low enough I think they would go get Kyrie for one year; by risk, I mean 'what are you giving up?'....I don't think the Kyrie market is very strong"

"they took a huge gamble trying to trade JB before the trade deadline and that cost them the ability to sign him for 4 years and $55M...that was the risk they took"

"I know for a fact they have a plan they feel good about that entails losing Jalen...that may have been muddied by the Durant news...they wanted to get assets for JB, they didn't want to pay more than $22M, they knew they were probably going to lose him"

"this is about putting the right people around Luka, you weren't going to win a championship with JB next year....this is about 18 months from now....I think they have a group of players that if we get one of these players this will put us in championship contention"

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? | Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Dorsey on two-way? - F Gump - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 09:58 PM)soog Wrote: When/where did he say this? I’d love for a bit more context if there was any.

I listened to the interview more than once, just for clarity. My sense of the way he spoke to the Mavs situation was that he wasn't speaking with inside info, but instead was reading/reacting like we try to do here. It was all 2+2 reasoning, working from the assumption that they WILL find a good way to address the needs, so anything not addressed must still be in the works.

So, one point he made: The Mavs indicated a wing was a big priority - they haven't gotten one - therefore, they must have a move coming to get one.

A secondary idea: It might be a big move, because look at all the expiring contracts they could use. (He recited Powell, Kleber, Wood.) And THJ too, he mentioned.

Then a few minutes later he's saying how Wood and Kleber will be key big men this year, so he doesn't really see them as trade chips after all, not really. 

However, he didn't have any ideas of who he thinks they might get, or should get. Just a hope, or assumption.

While I'm hopeful they are lining up some answers, imo Skin wasn't very persuasive in what he said about something will happen. It felt like he was being wishful. And a deal MIGHT happen, the Mavs certainly WANT some good wing to be found, so there's that.

The key quote is this:

"I know for a fact they have a plan they feel good about that entails losing Jalen....they knew they were probably going to lose him."

This is not conjecture, this is not fan speculation, this is not just reading the obvious tea leaves. Skin Wade is claiming he knows "for a fact" that the Mavs knew they were probably going to lose him and that they have a plan they "feel good about" that involves the loss of JB.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? | Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Dorsey on two-way? - mvossman - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 10:27 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The key quote is this:

"I know for a fact they have a plan they feel good about that entails losing Jalen....they knew they were probably going to lose him."

This is not conjecture, this is not fan speculation, this is not just reading the obvious tea leaves. Skin Wade is claiming he knows "for a fact" that the Mavs knew they were probably going to lose him and that they have a plan they "feel good about" that involves the loss of JB.

I've seen Mavs plans go awry too many times to get too excited about this.  Not looking forward to waiting potentially 2 months for this to resolve (or not).

(07-07-2022, 11:22 PM)mvossman Wrote: I've seen Mavs plans go awry too many times to get too excited about this.  Not looking forward to waiting potentially 2 months for this to resolve (or not).

1) Of course the plan could fall apart.

2) BUT I am 100% confident that Nico brings more organization and attention to detail to the Mavs processes, so I am ready to give him the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise.

(07-07-2022, 11:29 PM)Kammrath Wrote: 1) Of course the plan could fall apart.

2) BUT I am 100% confident that Nico brings more organization and attention to detail to the Mavs processes, so I am ready to give him the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise.

I feel like we have already seen some "otherwise" with the mishandling of Brunson.  I will be more than willing to do an about face if this FO pulls off something that makes me think "I guess it was fine they let Brunson walk for nothing", but I don't see that happening.  I see very little coming out of a potential S&T because we have very little leverage.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? | Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Dorsey on two-way? - F Gump - 07-08-2022

Kamm, imo the idea that they definitely HAVE something else lined up to do, I think the entirety of what he said and how he said it makes that more wishful and speculative than certain. Skin kinda said they had a plan (past tense) more than they have a plan (present tense). 

"I know for a fact they have a plan they feel good about that entails losing Jalen. They had [past tense] a second plan in which if they lose Jalen, we've got an alternate plan. Now that may have been muddied by the Kevin Durant news [iow it's already dead as we speak?], but they wanted [past tense] to get assets for Jalen Brunson. They didn't want to pay him more than 22. They knew that they were probably going to lose him. And it sucks. It sucks to lose an asset."

Getting assets "for Jalen Brunson" as a plan B sounds like the backup plan was to use him in a trade, either sign-and-trade him  or sign him now and trade him later, with the idea that he wouldn't choose to leave, and the bidding wouldn't make him so high-salaried that he stopped being an asset.

Skin added that JB wasn't the prize, he was only an asset to get one. Clearly he was talking about the Mavs pulling in a Robin for Luka in the next year or two, an all-in move of some sort (which would fit with his assessment that JB was lost as an asset because of the salary demand -- ie, making him not that desirable anymore to a team willing to let go of a star.)

So as i understand him, that plan B was nothing that they had in their hip pocket, it was just something to try. And now it's already a failed plan B.

And other than that one brief sentence, Skin was opining on what HE sees that makes sense, nothing more, and opining on how he thinks it might go, with the same evidence we opine with. He did it on air exactly like that.

My takeaway? Of course they had a plan B! They always have a plan B (and C, D, E, etc). They try hard. But we have seen this tease before. So I'm not getting excited when they tell me they missed out on the obvious, but still have ideas. While I guess it's good they are still big-game hunting, I'm going to assume same-ole same-ole until they have a plan B that actually brings home a prize.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? | Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Dorsey on two-way? - SleepingHero - 07-08-2022

(07-08-2022, 01:07 AM)F Gump Wrote: My takeaway? Of course they had a plan B! They always have a plan B (and C, D, E, etc). They try hard. But we have seen this tease before. So I'm not getting excited when they tell me they missed out on the obvious, but still have ideas. While I guess it's good they are still big-game hunting, I'm going to assume same-ole same-ole they have a plan B that brings home a prize.

Mark "Plan C" Cuban is his new nickname for me.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? | Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Dorsey on two-way? - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-08-2022

https://basketnews.com/news-174862-luka-doncic-is-joining-the-worlds-biggest-streetball-tournament.html

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? | Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Dorsey on two-way? - soog - 07-08-2022

(07-08-2022, 08:37 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: https://basketnews.com/news-174862-luka-doncic-is-joining-the-worlds-biggest-streetball-tournament.html

love this. I know fans and owners get worried about injuries, but I love that he is ballin' all over the world right now like a person who loves the game, not shying away from contact like someone trying to protect their million dollar investment.