MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - dirkfansince1998 - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 02:36 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Championships are a hell of a drug. Green already shot the ball better than Brown ever has.

People here overrate Brown and his strength like backdoor cutting are well-suited to Jokic´s distribution. I don´t see how it fits with our schemes. The biggsest advantage he has over Green is passing. Not using my MLE on Brown to get a four year older, slightly better Josh Green.

Besides I think he´ll just stay in Denver on a two year deal with a player option, then get out and sign a bigger deal. 

If he´s the top priority in free agency, you get "old" Mavs2021 back. Big Grin

Brown already had two good seasons with the Nets before he joined the Nuggets. It´s hard to come up with a standout ability for a player that is mostly praised for his versatilty but if I had to name one thing it is his decision making. Be it as a screener and short roll option for the Nets. As a ballhandler for the Nuggets. Or off the ball as a cutter/spot up shooter. He finds ways to be in the right spot at the right time. He finds ways to impact the game without the ball.

Agree that if all he can get on the free agent market is MLE money he won´t leave the Nuggets.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - RoyTarpleysGhost - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 02:36 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Championships are a hell of a drug. Green already shot the ball better than Brown ever has.

People here overrate Brown and his strength like backdoor cutting are well-suited to Jokic´s distribution. I don´t see how it fits with our schemes. The biggsest advantage he has over Green is passing. Not using my MLE on Brown to get a four year older, slightly better Josh Green.

Besides I think he´ll just stay in Denver on a two year deal with a player option, then get out and sign a bigger deal. 

They sure are.

The biggest advantage he has over Green is that he stepped up on the biggest stage in the sport.  He was taking contested threes in the finals with the clock winding down.  Green is timid and plays scared the bigger the moment gets.  Having a player with championship experience is invaluable.  You don't just win based on the counting stats a guy puts up on Basketball Reference.  The Mavs are missing a guy with Brown's attitude.  He's got that dawg in him. Plus it's not like they're preparing a $30 million AAV offer for him.

Who was it that said you can't win a title with a bunch of milk drinkers? No thanks on Harrison Barnes.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Mavs2021 - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 03:29 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: They sure are.

The biggest advantage he has over Green is that he stepped up on the biggest stage in the sport.  He was taking contested threes in the finals with the clock winding down.  Green is timid and plays scared the bigger the moment gets.  Having a player with championship experience is invaluable.  You don't just win based on the counting stats a guy puts up on Basketball Reference.  The Mavs are missing a guy with Brown's attitude.  He's got that dawg in him.  Plus it's not like they're preparing a $30 million AAV offer for him.

Who was it that said you can't win a title with a bunch of milk drinkers?  No thanks on Harrison Barnes.

Yeah all guys are losers till they win. 

I know Green still defers too much, but he´s now the same age that Bruce Brown was, when he entered the NBA as a rookie.

Though I give you that it would be classic Mavs to let Green walk in 12 months for Bruce Brown after they nurtured him into a 22 year old 54/40/72 shooter with great athletism and defensive potential.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - SleepingHero - 06-24-2023

https://twitter.com/your_awannabe/status/1671894817981493251

Ignore the actual tweet but look at the video. Sheeeesh so many low IQ/lowlights from this year.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - Tyler - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 01:54 PM)mvossman Wrote: Kuzma at 28 seems like the kind of contract teams are desperately trying to dump right now.

Maybe so. But at some point he's a good value, and he may not have many suitors in a tight market. Lots of trades work at a lower number, too. Wink

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - audiosway - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 04:14 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Yeah all guys are losers till they win. 

I know Green still defers too much, but he´s now the same age that Bruce Brown was, when he entered the NBA as a rookie.

Though I give you that it would be classic Mavs to let Green walk in 12 months for Bruce Brown after they nurtured him into a 22 year old 54/40/72 shooter with great athletism and defensive potential.

I agree. Let's stick with Green and let him continue to grow. No one is a winner until they are.

The best way to build a team is drafting guys and trusting in them.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - DanSchwartzgan - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 02:50 PM)F Gump Wrote: pg - kyrie, morris, hardy
sg - luka, green
sf - brown, thj
pf - gw, maxi, prosper
c - gafford, holmes, lively

I love the resulting roster, but it has a huge flaw -- lack of minutes. Too many mouths (at least 11) to feed,

This begs the question of what number of guys who demand minutes is the right number?  That’s why I brought up the idea of grown-ups vs kids.  You need enough grown-ups to field a 7-8 man playoff rotation.   Let’s go back to what we have currently and assume we do nothing more than spend the MLE.

Initiators:  Luka/Kyrie/(Hardy).   
Hardy will get big boy minutes this season, but in the playoffs?  Not if we get past round one.

Bigs:  Maxi/Holmes/(Lively)/McGee.       
Same thing here.  I expect Lively to get 20 a night during the season.  The playoffs?  Not so much.  Do you fill this void now and plant Holmes on the bench (again).  Or, give him a run trying to build his value knowing you can trade for help at the TDL?

Wings:  THJ/MLE-Brown/Green/(O-Max)/Reggie
I expect OMax to get the Hardy treatment this season (but he’ll get time during Maxi’s annual break).  Green has earned grown-up status.  THJ/Brown/Green seems like enough guys this size.

So, Grown-ups are Maxi/Holmes, Brown/THJ/Green and Luka/Kyrie.  It does kind of feel like there needs to be one more move beyond a Brown-MLE type deal.  I think the bargaining chips are expiring Reggie and McGee.  I feel better about Lively and Holmes’ future than most, so I don’t need a big name guy on a multi-year deal.  A multi-position Olynyk type would be fine with me.  I also like Anderson as mentioned before.  You still don’t have a starting C with either of those guys, but one is one the way.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Jason Terry - 06-24-2023

Sign and trade Bullock for Grant Williams. Makes sense from all the angles. Especially if Boston doesn’t extend KP. They could blow past the 2nd apron for i year and 3pt shooting(Bullock) is a need

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 06-24-2023

Josh Green certainly does seem to be growing into a player that has some Bruce Brown traits, those traits being versatility and being able to adapt to many different roles and offer many different things. Having two of those players on the roster is a positive in my mind.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Luka77 - 06-24-2023

I like the Idea of adding Brown.  He essentially would replace Bullock and be a mentor to Green.  Green has yet to show he knows how to consistently play with Luka and/or Kyrie.

Brown has been playing off ball dominant guards (Kyrie and Murry) for four years now.   Even though I think Josh has more upside he can learn from Brown. 

Brown also brings championship experience and that is a big plus on this team.

Brown would be an excellent signing for the MLE.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - BigDirk41 - 06-24-2023

I don't see Brown leaving the Nuggets. I know he'll lose some money doing so for one year, but they'll make it up to him after next year. Over the 5 year period, he'll make as much or more by staying as long as they take care of him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Luka77 - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 02:50 PM)F Gump Wrote: All the following are possible together (in multiple moves) with Holmes not getting a TK --

Use MLE for Brown
Bullock for GW snt @ 13.6
Hardaway-McGee for Gafford/Morris

This assumes 15 players, and Mavs still under Apron 1 by about 600-700K. Even more room if they leave a slot open (to entice a player to sign, or for a buyout later).

Depth chart is hard to make because of position flex, but just a general idea:

pg - kyrie, morris, hardy
sg - luka, green
sf - brown, thj
pf - gw, maxi, prosper

I love the resulting roster, but it has a huge flaw -- lack of minutes. Too many mouths (at least 11) to feed, and players who need and deserve to play. Green, Hardy, and both rookies have a good chance get lost in the mix. It just won't work. But the jump in talent would obviously be significant.

Love the roster but the lineup has THJ at SF when you traded him to the Wiz.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - F Gump - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 09:12 PM)Luka77 Wrote: Love the roster but the lineup has THJ at SF when you traded him to the Wiz.

Oops. Indeed!

Thanks.

Now edited as follows.

g - kyrie, morris
sg - luka, hardy
sf - brown, green
pf - gw, maxi, prosper

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Branduil - 06-24-2023

Brown makes a lot of sense as an MLE target, so it's worth trying, although I agree he's unlikely to leave Denver. Still, it's a move you have to attempt if you want to become a contending franchise; just don't wait on him. It's not like we can offer more than the MLE.

IF we did get Brown, I have to think THJ should be on the way out, because at that point you have Luke/Kyrie/Brown/Green/Hardy all fighting for guard minutes. So a trade involving THJ for a starting PF would be ideal.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - DanSchwartzgan - 06-24-2023

Something else to chew on.  Mav’s one of three teams with reported interest in a really expensive PF.

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/sixers-trade-rumors-tobias-harris-20230624.html?utm_source=t.co&utm_campaign=edit_social_share_twitter_traffic&utm_medium=social&utm_content=&utm_term=&int_promo=

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - The Jom - 06-24-2023

A $40 million expiring? Not convinced his position has much to do with it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 09:37 PM)F Gump Wrote: Now edited as follows.

g - kyrie, morris
sg - luka, hardy
sf - brown, green
pf - gw, maxi, prosper

GW - I prefer someone bigger and who rebounds better, but if the Mavs can take him for RB, I'm all for it. Against GW if he is an outright signing for 14M and above.
Gafford - I prefer a stretch big but if THJ is going out for him as you proposed, I would love it.
Morris - Third ballhandler. Kyrie could miss games due to injuries, load management, or Kyrie just being Kyrie.

But.... What does Washington get from dealing Gafford+Morris? Gafford has 3 years left but THJ per year is a bigger hit. And McGee seems like a waste of roster spot. And while Morris doesn't fit the Wiz future plans, he has value and not merely some trade filler. I would love the trade if it happens, I just don't see it happening.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - surfpuckmd - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 06:58 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Sign and trade Bullock for Grant Williams. Makes sense from all the angles. Especially if Boston doesn’t extend KP. They could blow past the 2nd apron for i year and 3pt shooting(Bullock) is a need

Reggie Bullock is a poor offensive player and even worse defensively.  The Celtics would be much better off simply letting Grant Williams walk than trading him for Reggie Bullock.  We'd have to include a draft pick to make the Celtics consider this deal.  We only have the 2027 first round pick available to trade and Grant Williams probably isn't worth our last available first-round pick.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - Chicagojk - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 10:03 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Something else to chew on.  Mav’s one of three teams with reported interest in a really expensive PF.

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/sixers-trade-rumors-tobias-harris-20230624.html?utm_source=t.co&utm_campaign=edit_social_share_twitter_traffic&utm_medium=social&utm_content=&utm_term=&int_promo=

I wouldn’t even bother calling Morey.  I assume this is a joke, but with Morey I have no idea.

As someone else wrote, another way this conversation could have happened with Cleveland is:

Morey- We want Prime Lebron back for Harris
Cavs-  Well, one Lebron is not his his prime now and two he does not play for the Cavs any longer
Morey- not my problem

https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1672753746361876481?s=61&t=-aAylloVlVRI2-DRvoajoA

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - F Gump - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 10:03 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Something else to chew on.  Mav’s one of three teams with reported interest in a really expensive PF.

Nope, don't chew on it at all. That was a really horrendous pure-clickbait story purporting Mavs and others supposedly have interest, when clearly nothing is really going on.

As part of the story, they also stated the Cavs were interested, but with the nugget that Philly's ask was "a package of Jarrett Allen, Evan Mobley, and a draft pick" and they stated that PHX was interested in Tobias but Philly had no interest in Ayton or in a 3-way with Ayton going elsewhere (and who else is there to match a salary approaching 40M?). In that context, they may have been wanting Booker or KD. With Dallas, probably Kyrie.

But this clearly is a nonsense idea.