MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 06-24-2023

Love Monte Morris. He’s a pro’s pro. He is expiring after this season too. 9m+ salary though. Not sure we can find 25 minutes per night with Hardy needing more time. Guessing Morris wants one last payday. I guess the inevitable trade of Reggie or THJ would help the minutes crunch.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - Mavs2021 - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 09:27 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I'm not a fan of a Gafford plan either.  Center two years from now is presumably covered.  Even if that turns out to be wrong, we have to act like it is covered and give Lively developmental time.  I happen to be a believer in Holmes, but I've been wrong before about big men.  I mean, I was wrong last summer about Powell getting 'dramatically more minutes than people expected (oh wait, that actually happened).  I was wrong about Wood's best role being bench big (wait, that was true also).  Never mind (actually, I probably was wrong about Wood's best position being PF instead of C).

If we take on someone else from the outside, I'd like it to be more of a 4/5 with a short contract.  Olynyk would be the (uninspiring) prototype.  Either he or Maxi could get center minutes (in case Holmes doesn't work out).  His ability to shoot makes him multi-positional.  And, as Lively grows, either he or Holmes are easily phased out.  I think you have to have contingencies for 1. Holmes not bouncing back, 2. Maxi's annual injury and 3. Lively not ready yet.  Someone with Olynyk's profile checks those boxes.

Oh, and I'd like to do that in addition to adding a wing who can play either the 3 or the 4.

Gafford is exactly the kind of center you are describing to cover for Lively´s development and Holmes not bouncing back. He´s fairly young himself, 24. His contract is very fair. He is proven in the league. Even showed he can play with another center in Porzingis. He has a career FG% of > 70%. He´s averaging 1.3 BPG for his career. Good advanced stats. He´s like a better and younger version of Powell, but I don't hate the Olynyk idea.

Best case would be Gafford/Olynyk/Lively.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - loki - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 09:27 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I'm not a fan of a Gafford plan either.  Center two years from now is presumably covered.  Even if that turns out to be wrong, we have to act like it is covered and give Lively developmental time.  I happen to be a believer in Holmes, but I've been wrong before about big men.  I mean, I was wrong last summer about Powell getting 'dramatically more minutes than people expected (oh wait, that actually happened).  I was wrong about Wood's best role being bench big (wait, that was true also).  Never mind (actually, I probably was wrong about Wood's best position being PF instead of C).

If we take on someone else from the outside, I'd like it to be more of a 4/5 with a short contract.  Olynyk would be the (uninspiring) prototype.  Either he or Maxi could get center minutes (in case Holmes doesn't work out).  His ability to shoot makes him multi-positional.  And, as Lively grows, either he or Holmes are easily phased out.  I think you have to have contingencies for 1. Holmes not bouncing back, 2. Maxi's annual injury and 3. Lively not ready yet.  Someone with Olynyk's profile checks those boxes.

Oh, and I'd like to do that in addition to adding a wing who can play either the 3 or the 4.

If Olynyk isn't available I'd be interested in Mike Muscala who was just moved to Washington in the Porzingis deal. Maybe we can dump McGee at the same time?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - Mavs2021 - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 09:57 AM)loki Wrote: If Olynyk isn't available I'd be interested in Mike Muscala who was just moved to Washington in the Porzingis deal. Maybe we can dump McGee at the same time?
Not a bad idea. Wouldn´t Muscala fit in the remaining trade exception, too? I´m telling you Washington is the place to plunder for us. They are full of useful role players on good contracts. GM is trigger happy, too. Tongue

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - loki - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 09:59 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Not a bad idea. Wouldn´t Muscala fit in the remaining trade exception, too? I´m telling you Washington is the place to plunder for us. They are full of useful role players on good contracts. GM is trigger happy, too. Tongue

Muscala is owed $3.5m and I believe the remaining trade exception is only $3.1m.

They do have quite a few decent role players. Going to be interesting to see how many they move. You don't really need them, but you don't want to be historically bad either.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - ItsGoTime - 06-24-2023

Here’s an idea. What if they envision Lively starting day 1 (doubt it, but it could make some sense especially considering they we’re probably ready to take him at 10)? Holmes as a bounce back candidate off the bench then doesn’t look so volatile. If we get off McGee, Powell at vet min becomes insurance should 1 of them not be ready for their roles. Could also happen that Lively isn’t ready but Holmes is.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - ItsGoTime - 06-24-2023

I say all that being the person getting called out for my Gafford “love”. Gafford is a better plan (better players is always the better option), but since the Holmes trade (maybe we find a team to move him to, probably not though), I see little reason to use more brain power on the C position.

Now, if Morris is worth a couple seconds, that could be a bridge gapped by adding Avdija in a Bullock and 27 unprotected for Morris and Deni trade. Seems a bit of a light return (unless Avdija finds a shot here) so in my mind it’s not a first choice type deal.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - RoyTarpleysGhost - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 09:35 AM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Love Monte Morris. He’s a pro’s pro. He is expiring after this season too. 9m+ salary though. Not sure we can find 25 minutes per night with Hardy needing more time. Guessing Morris wants one last payday. I guess the inevitable trade of Reggie or THJ would help the minutes crunch.

His job just got taken by Tyus Jones.

I also love Monte Morris.  He's a player that doesn't make mistakes.  Great locker room guy.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - cow - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 10:36 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Here’s an idea. What if they envision Lively starting day 1 (doubt it, but it could make some sense especially considering they we’re probably ready to take him at 10)? Holmes as a bounce back candidate off the bench then doesn’t look so volatile. If we get off McGee, Powell at vet min becomes insurance should 1 of them not be ready for their roles. Could also happen that Lively isn’t ready but Holmes is.

I'd say the odds of Lively starting day 1 are really, really low but I do think he'll get a good chunk of minutes off the bench right away.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - mvossman - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 09:44 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Gafford is exactly the kind of center you are describing to cover for Lively´s development and Holmes not bouncing back. He´s fairly young himself, 24. His contract is very fair. He is proven in the league. Even showed he can play with another center in Porzingis. He has a career FG% of > 70%. He´s averaging 1.3 BPG for his career. Good advanced stats. He´s like a better and younger version of Powell, but I don't hate the Olynyk idea.

Best case would be Gafford/Olynyk/Lively.

If we were going to get Gafford, there would much less reason to draft Lively.  We would have Gafford, Holmes, Maxi, McGee and possibly Powell.  The new NBA model is to spend limited assets on centers or get a truly elite one (I am skeptical Lively is going to fit that bill).  Adding Gafford and Holmes would be enough for me.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - mvossman - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 10:36 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Here’s an idea. What if they envision Lively starting day 1 (doubt it, but it could make some sense especially considering they we’re probably ready to take him at 10)? Holmes as a bounce back candidate off the bench then doesn’t look so volatile. If we get off McGee, Powell at vet min becomes insurance should 1 of them not be ready for their roles. Could also happen that Lively isn’t ready but Holmes is.

Its hard to imagine this happens, and it would probably be just as bad for Lively as it would be for the team.  Unfortunately I feel the same way about the Lively pick as I did about the Green pick.  For a team that wants to get both younger and better, it makes way more sense to go after a high floor, medium ceiling guy like Bane than a low floor, high ceiling project like Green that will take years to develop.  Its why I love the OMax pick.

Its a shame that Whitmore tanked his value pre draft, otherwise there was a good chance Hendricks falls down to us (he would have been a perfect fit).  Personally I would have preferred trading down from 12 for a decent young center (like Gafford) and then go after another two way player later in the first.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - F Gump - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 08:35 AM)omahen Wrote: I am not really a fan of this for several reasons.
1. Adding another nothing special center on a multiyear deal doesn't make a lot of sense, imho. Only, if Holmes is going somewhere else (I don't think Holmes has any value, or Sacramento wouldn't be paying to get rid of him).

2. Wizards will likely be the hardest tanking team in the league. They don't have any cap issues and have to pay someone. I just don't see them paying anything to get rid of contracts. 

3. The player I like most on Wizards now is Morris. I think he would be perfect back-up PG, especially when either of Luka or Kyrie doesn't play. I think Mavs still need that third PG - I think Hardy can be great next to Luka or Irving, but will strugle as a single PG. But, Mavs don't have any smaller assets (his value is likely a couple of second rounders, lottery protected first at best).

1 If you don't see Gafford as worth having, then it's no surprise you wouldn't want to get him. Your view may be more astute than mine, but I think Gafford fits exactly what the Mavs are looking to have in a center -- he defends, rebounds, and is an excellent rim-runner. Contract is MLE-ish.

In addition, the very reason you DON'T want him is the reason I think he would make a good target for the Mavs -- ie, the Mavs C mix so far lacks a starter-caliber C to use while Lively learns the NBA game. My trade thought swaps him for McGee (the obvious player to send), and keeps Holmes from being the default starter at C. Even if Gafford is not the perfect Mavs-style center (although, who knows?) imo he would be a BIG step up.

2. I agree that WAS doesn't need to move more salary, but with them obviously embracing the tank for several years, they have no incentive to keep Gafford. And unless they see him as a BARGAIN at 12M, they might want to move the salary and also open up minutes on the floor, in the Presti model.

I note your point on the pick, but think it makes sense to ask anyhow, with the rationale that we are taking a lot of salary for you. The Mavs need to target adding the small pieces whenever they can.

3 I would think the same things with Morris, of course. Seems he would be very gettable, and the role you describe makes sense. What might entice a Gafford-Morris swap? THJ + McGee?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - DanSchwartzgan - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 10:13 AM)loki Wrote: Muscala is owed $3.5m and I believe the remaining trade exception is only $3.1m.

More for clarification sake than advocacy...The remaining TE is somewhere between $5m and $3.1m depending on the Holmes TK.  It is negotiable anywhere from the full TK to zero.  So, if this were the plan, I'm guessing you could get Holmes to accommodate.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - F Gump - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 10:13 AM)loki Wrote: Muscala is owed $3.5m and I believe the remaining trade exception is only $3.1m.

Actually, the space available via trade is bigger than 3.1M (and bigger than 3.5M) when rolled into the same trade, because [warning: CBA technical jargon coming] it becomes a simultaneous TPE use rather than non-simultaneous.

However, about Muscala, I think he looks better from afar, and better than the numbers, than he really offers in his play. I wouldn't hate the idea, since his salary is small, but it doesn't excite me at all.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - DanSchwartzgan - 06-24-2023

Stein with a very minor Bruce Brown mention in his notes today.

"Dallas instead used Bertāns' contract to move down two spots in the draft to select Duke center Dereck Lively II at No. 12 and likewise move far enough away from luxury-tax territory to gain use of the full non-taxpayers’ $12.4 midlevel exception in free agency to pursue top wings in free agency (starting with Denver’s Bruce Brown)."

That may seem redundant with so many guards on the roster, but would make sense if you move off of Reggie.  Maybe Reggie for Slow-Mo or Olynyk or some other non-star bigger forward.  Brown is still young, obviously defends well and can handle a few minutes at PG.

Oh man, that would be a fantastic get.

If that were to happen, I would consider moving off Josh Green for a 4. Either Green or Bullock depending on what you can get for each and what Green wants on a contract extension. Hard to say without knowing how much the Mavs like Josh.

edit: not sure how THJ would fit either. Gotta think Bruce Brown wants to start.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - DanSchwartzgan - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 12:21 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Oh man, that would be a fantastic get.

If that were to happen, I would consider moving off Josh Green for a 4.  Either Green or Bullock depending on what you can get for each and what Green wants on a contract extension.  Hard to say without knowing how much the Mavs like Josh.

Since they've now refused to trade him in deals for Irving and Capela, I'd say they REALLY like him.  Why wouldn't they.  He's just about the perfect Swiss army knife of an NBA player and still very young.

(06-24-2023, 12:26 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Since they've now refused to trade him in deals for Irving and Capela, I'd say they REALLY like him.  Why wouldn't they.  He's just about the perfect Swiss army knife of an NBA player and still very young.

Well...it would've been bad value to move him in a Capela trade.

They also benched him for Justin Holiday. If they like Green that much, why would they pursue Bruce Brown with the MLE instead of say Grant Williams?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs DID defy expectations. - dirkfansince1998 - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 12:14 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Stein with a very minor Bruce Brown mention in his notes today.

"Dallas instead used Bertāns' contract to move down two spots in the draft to select Duke center Dereck Lively II at No. 12 and likewise move far enough away from luxury-tax territory to gain use of the full non-taxpayers’ $12.4 midlevel exception in free agency to pursue top wings in free agency (starting with Denver’s Bruce Brown)."

That may seem redundant with so many guards on the roster, but would make sense if you move off of Reggie.  Maybe Reggie for Slow-Mo or Olynyk or some other non-star bigger forward.  Brown is still young, obviously defends well and can handle a few minutes at PG.

Not that long ago he was playing small ball center for the Nets. Basically the modern day dream of a versatile positionless player that can play any given role depending on the teams needs.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - DanSchwartzgan - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 11:10 AM)mvossman Wrote: If we were going to get Gafford, there would much less reason to draft Lively.  We would have Gafford, Holmes, Maxi, McGee and possibly Powell.  The new NBA model is to spend limited assets on centers or get a truly elite one (I am skeptical Lively is going to fit that bill).  Adding Gafford and Holmes would be enough for me.

Tyler has been promoting a plan where we flip Holmes for Kuzma.  More would need to be added.  While I don't support Gafford added to what we have, I would support it if it were him instead of Holmes rather than in addition to Holmes.