MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - SleepingHero - 06-23-2023

(06-22-2023, 11:44 PM)F Gump Wrote: My own thinking is
1 Anything is negotiable
2 I like the "same as Luka" offer (both amount, and length) because it has a reason to it, that he might embrace
3 You are committing to him, so let him commit to you too, as one of your 2 big-salary guys
4 I don't like a random number or scheme with the premise "let's wrestle and scheme for the best way to beat down the other side in this agreement" because then his goal is "the biggest number" (max) rather than the best team possible
5 Does 37 allow anything that 40 doesn't? Or does it just pad Cuban's wallet instead of Kyrie's?

All sound logic. 

I came up with 5/210 as it was rumored Kyrie wanted a 4yr max, which would be right around 4/210. Figured we'd offer the same amount of money but just tack on a PO in year 5 so the yearly salary would be reduced significantly.

Ky is a wildcard. He might get wildly offended the Mavs didn't offer him a full max and bolt, or he might really take to the "same as Luka" approach in terms of being respected. Who knows? 

In either case, the next hurdle for Nico is to get Kyrie to sign on the dotted line in such a way that the Mavs preserve the MLE+BAE as you outlined. I don't really care how they go about it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - SkenfromLMF - 06-23-2023

So Cuban, Nico and Kidd better be ready to get to Ky at midnight 7/1 and get this thing signed. In the meantime Nico and and Kidd need to make sure the relationship part of their duties have made Kyrie feel welcome and in FACT help him realize his choices have a LARGE impact on the success of the summer for the franchise.

BTW also approach Powell with a 1 yr contract that sits between his ~$3 million minimum salary and the $4.5 million BAE, so 1 yr $3.75 million. This would be in lieu of using the BAE on another player.

My numbers show about $37 million to start for Kyrie to stay under the tax IF the Full MLE and the BAE are both used in full.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - Jym - 06-23-2023

(06-23-2023, 03:13 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: So Cuban, Nico and Kidd better be ready to get to Ky at midnight 7/1 and get this thing signed. In the meantime Nico and and Kidd need to make sure the relationship part of their duties have made Kyrie feel welcome and in FACT help him realize his choices have a LARGE impact on the success of the summer for the franchise.

BTW also approach Powell with a 1 yr contract that sits between his ~$3 million minimum salary and the $4.5 million BAE, so 1 yr $3.75 million. This would be in lieu of using the BAE on another player.

My numbers show about $37 million to start for Kyrie to stay under the tax IF the Full MLE and the BAE are both used in full.

I don't know if it's good news or bad news but the real hard cap for using the full MLE and BAE should be the tax apron at $172 million. 7 million above the tax line itself

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - BigDirk41 - 06-23-2023

(06-23-2023, 03:13 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: So Cuban, Nico and Kidd better be ready to get to Ky at midnight 7/1 and get this thing signed. In the meantime Nico and and Kidd need to make sure the relationship part of their duties have made Kyrie feel welcome and in FACT help him realize his choices have a LARGE impact on the success of the summer for the franchise.

They should just skip the approach Powell part and move on. I'd rather use that money on someone new.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - HoosierDaddyKid - 06-23-2023

(06-22-2023, 07:47 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Black and Ausar gone which is good. Don’t want non-shooters

You've got plenty of shooting. You need defensive minded players. Both fit the bill, and should turn out to be great pros. The Thompson twins especially.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - ThisIStheYear - 06-23-2023

Guess we have to take MLE targets seriously now. First up, G Williams. PER and real plus minus hate him. Lebron and Raptor have him as a slightly negative player. Winscore and winshare have him as slightly positive. TS% easily over 60% so he’s efficient but not a shot hunter. Should be a good fit with Luka. Still pretty young. Sounds like a solid 7th or 8th man when this team is finally ready to roll. Not a home run, but not the worst idea either.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - Chicagojk - 06-23-2023

(06-23-2023, 07:49 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Guess we have to take MLE targets seriously now. First up, G Williams. PER and real plus minus hate him. Lebron and Raptor have him as a slightly negative player.  Winscore and winshare have him as slightly positive. TS% easily over 60% so he’s efficient but not a shot hunter. Should be a good fit with Luka. Still pretty young.  Sounds like a solid 7th or 8th man when this team is finally ready to roll. Not a home run, but not the worst idea either.

Williams would be the chef kiss for me for the offseason.  Has played in a lot of big games, does things this team needs, and would bring some toughness/wild card to the team.   Would love him as a rotation piece.  I just don't think you get him for the MLE and I am not sure how excited Boston is to give him away.    Might not be a fit there now, but he is a good name to keep in the back of your mind.

I think we need to be aggressive but also patient.  Atlanta is going to need to do something.    Just a pure shorter contract dump for Collins would be intriguing.   Bullock plus Hardaway.   Something like that.   Collins would be in the higher tier of players, but he also has a bad contract.   If we just use the MLE, we probably get a lesser tier player but one on a more manageable contract.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - Mavs2021 - 06-23-2023

Could we work Dario Saric into the OKC- Sacramento trade, depending how large the remaining TPE is, that could be a fantastic small addition to the trade. All the small details and dealings matter.

We have a need for a veteran back-up SF/PF.

After recovering from ACL surgery, next year could be his full bounce back season.

OKC stats to finish the season:

20 games (9-11 team record)
plus/minus +65 !!!
14 MPG
7/3/1
Shooting numbers 52/39/84!!!

Perfect veteran off the bench and still some upside, just turned 29.

Still could be a target for the BAE, too. Cool

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - DanSchwartzgan - 06-23-2023

(06-23-2023, 08:33 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Could we work Dario Saric into the OKC- Sacramento trade, depending how large the remaining TPE is, that could be a fantastic small addition to the trade. All the small details and dealings matter.

Still could be a target for the BAE, too. Cool

He's UFA.  No need to do a S&T with OKC unless you think he gets more than the MLE.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - Mavs2021 - 06-23-2023

(06-23-2023, 10:19 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: He's UFA.  No need to do a S&T with OKC unless you think he gets more than the MLE.

I think he´s more than a vet min, but I´d rather preserve the MLE and BAE for other players. I wonder whether they can expand the size of the trade exception to fit in a S&T for Saric. You alluded to more flexibility and options to expand the trade exception.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - RoyTarpleysGhost - 06-23-2023

Grant Williams declined a 4/$50 extension with the Celtics for whatever that's worth.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - DanSchwartzgan - 06-23-2023

(06-23-2023, 10:26 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I think he´s more than a vet min, but I´d rather preserve the MLE and BAE for other players. I wonder whether they can expand the size of the trade exception to fit in a S&T for Saric. You alluded to more flexibility and options to expand the trade exception.

Gotcha.  There is about $3mm of TE left as the deal currently stands.  If we do Kyrie at $40mm and run with 14 players and keep Reggie's guarantee and use the Full MLE at $12.4mm, we are at about $169.5.  So, $2.5mm under the first apron.  So, under those assumptions, I think you use the BAE or you S&T him into the TE, but not both.  I believe either option hard-caps you though.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - Chicagojk - 06-23-2023

(06-23-2023, 10:38 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Gotcha.  There is about $3mm of TE left as the deal currently stands.  If we do Kyrie at $40mm and run with 14 players and keep Reggie's guarantee and use the Full MLE at $12.4mm, we are at about $169.5.  So, $2.5mm under the first apron.  So, under those assumptions, I think you use the BAE or you S&T him into the TE, but not both.  I believe either option hard-caps you though.

How would it work if we resigned Dwight into this calculation?  Depending what player we target via trade or MLE, I would greatly prefer resigning Powell over McGee.   Hopefully we can find a spot for McGee somewhere.   I just trust Powell much more.    Not sure if him coming back is in the cards now.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - HAguiar95 - 06-23-2023

Luka, Kyrie (hopefully), Green, Bullock, Hardaway, Kleber, Holmes (if we keep him) are our locks to be on our rotation if we make no more trades. Besides our two stars, all remaining players aren't starter level caliber player, at best they could fill the 5th starting spot if we want to contend.

IMO McGee+Bullock or THJ (or both) could net us a starter to be our 3rd/4th options (Harris from PHI or another good overpaid guy).

Hardy (still), O-Max, Lively will be on the Garbage Time Deluxe team (I'm not putting them in trades).

Who we targeting with the MLE?

Brooks, Barnes, Brown, Strus, Divincenzo, Williams make sense. All could play the 4th-7th man options

How about the BAE?

Carter, Schroder, Craig, Crowder, McDaniels, Thybulle, Powell could be our 8th-10th man.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - RoyTarpleysGhost - 06-23-2023

(06-23-2023, 10:43 AM)HAguiar95 Wrote: Besides our two stars, all remaining players aren't starter level caliber player, at best they could fill the 5th starting spot if we want to contend.

Yep.  That's the current problem.

You could say Green is a starter although our coach did bench him for a guy coming in off the unemployment line.  (Justin Holiday)

Holmes couldn't beat out Alex Len or Chimezie Metu.  Maybe Nico knows something there but it's quite optimistic thinking he's any better than McShaqtin.

(06-23-2023, 10:41 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: How would it work if we resigned Dwight into this calculation?  Depending what player we target via trade or MLE, I would greatly prefer resigning Powell over McGee.   Hopefully we can find a spot for McGee somewhere.   I just trust Powell much more.    Not sure if him coming back is in the cards now.

It all depends if you are worried about the hard cap or not.  If we don't use the MLE (and replace it with a min), we are $13mm under the hard cap (and have $15mm to use because adding a body removes the need to account for the minimum) given the previous assumptions.  We could use that money on Powell and the spread on a trade match instead of the MLE.  They've given themselves options.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - BigDirk41 - 06-23-2023

(06-23-2023, 10:43 AM)HAguiar95 Wrote: Luka, Kyrie (hopefully), Green, Bullock, Hardaway, Kleber, Holmes (if we keep him) are our locks to be on our rotation if we make no more trades. Besides our two stars, all remaining players aren't starter level caliber player, at best they could fill the 5th starting spot if we want to contend.

IMO McGee+Bullock or THJ (or both) could net us a starter to be our 3rd/4th options (Harris from PHI or another good overpaid guy).

Hardy (still), O-Max, Lively will be on the Garbage Time Deluxe team (I'm not putting them in trades).

Who we targeting with the MLE?

Brooks, Barnes, Brown, Strus, Divincenzo, Williams make sense. All could play the 4th-7th man options

How about the BAE?

Carter, Schroder, Craig, Crowder, McDaniels, Thybulle, Powell could be our 8th-10th man.

Hardy and Lively will be in the top 8 rotation in my opinion. I don't think they will be garbage time players.

Paywall

https://theathletic.com/4634258/2023/06/23/mavericks-nba-draft-recap-dereck-lively/?source=user_shared_article

Hollinger draft article

Best night: Dallas

I would have never believed the Mavs would be able to dump Dāvis Bertāns’ contract while only moving down two spots in the draft and still walk away with the absolute perfect-fitting piece for them in Dereck Lively II. Getting a Tyson Chandler clone on a cost-controlled four-year deal to catch alley-oops and protect the rim next to Luka Dončić and possibly Kyrie Irving is the absolute best-case scenario for what could have possibly happened for Dallas. Doing it while fixing the cap sheet? Brilliant.

It speaks to the disparity in value between the two trades that Dallas dumped a bad contract to move down just two spots, from 10 to 12, and then took on a similar but smaller contract from Sacramento (Holmes) to obtain the 24th pick. That player, defensive stopper Olivier-Maxence Prosper, also is a fairly ideal fit.

With Bertāns removed, the Mavericks can now re-sign Irving at or near his max and still have the full non-taxpayer midlevel exception available to tackle their glaring lack of depth. Dallas should also have a small trade exception ($5 million) left over from the Bertāns trade. The Mavs will likely barely skirt the tax apron, but they can now pull off something that seemed extremely difficult 24 hours ago.

I hate to say it, but the final-week tank turned out to be worth it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs may defy pundits, keep 10 if Whitmore or Hendricks is there - cow - 06-23-2023

(06-23-2023, 11:05 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Hardy and Lively will be in the top 8 rotation in my opinion. I don't think they will be garbage time players.

I wish we could trade THJ for a useful big to assure Hardy gets into the top of the rotation.