MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs want to change the entire array of centers, won't trade #10? - audiosway - 06-21-2023

I say just stay at 10 and draft a big. Bam, Giannis, and plenty of other guys were available at that point in the draft. You pay these scouts to identify these guys. Make it happen. Quit going after washed up players that are living off their name. There will be players available at 10 that will be great players going forward.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs want to change the entire array of centers, won't trade #10? - cow - 06-21-2023

(06-21-2023, 12:37 AM)audiosway Wrote: I say just stay at 10 and draft a big. Bam, Giannis, and plenty of other guys were available at that point in the draft. You pay these scouts to identify these guys. Make it happen. Quit going after washed up players that are living off their name. There will be players available at 10 that will be great players going forward.

Would be nice but i can't imagine Mark being that patient.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein: Mavs only "serious" bidders for Kyrie. - Mapka - 06-21-2023

(06-20-2023, 01:04 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Exactly. History has shown us that the Mavs will be signing Kyrie to his max deal. Anyone expecting anything less is foolish imo.

They WILL be bidding against themselves, only because if they don't and Kyrie walks, this team is in a worse position than just having Kyrie overpaid.

Not sure about that, Kyrie on his max will make us a bad team the next 4 years.

If he is gone, there might be hope.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs want to change the entire array of centers, won't trade #10? - MFFL - 06-21-2023

https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/1671621415106228224

Adam Himmelsbach
According to multiple league sources, the completion of the Porzingis deal would likely mean that Grant Williams's time in Boston has come to an end.

The Celtics now need shooting. THJ for SnT Grant Williams?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs want to change the entire array of centers, won't trade #10? - DallasMaverick - 06-21-2023

(06-21-2023, 05:15 PM)MFFL Wrote: https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/1671621415106228224

Adam Himmelsbach
According to multiple league sources, the completion of the Porzingis deal would likely mean that Grant Williams's time in Boston has come to an end.

Bertans

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs want to change the entire array of centers, won't trade #10? - KillerLeft - 06-21-2023

I like Grant Williams as a target. Great fit.

I sure hope it doesn’t cost Kleber or THJ, because I’d see either move as lateral (at best). But, that’s the asset-poor life, I suppose.

Jason Terry - Jason Terry - 06-21-2023

(06-21-2023, 05:45 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I like Grant Williams as a target. Great fit.

I sure hope it doesn’t cost Kleber or THJ, because I’d see either move as lateral (at best). But, that’s the asset-poor life, I suppose.
Same. I like Willams. I want to keep both of those guys if possible. Maybe there’s a better path to Williams

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs want to change the entire array of centers, won't trade #10? - DanSchwartzgan - 06-21-2023

(06-21-2023, 05:15 PM)MFFL Wrote: https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/1671621415106228224

Adam Himmelsbach

Brogdon alone doesn't match KP, so probably Gallo getting added to the outgoing or something roughly equivalent.  So this adds $5-$7mm to Boston's salaries that are already in the mid $160's.  Add in required roster spots and you are getting to the high 170's.  I don't see how Boston takes back matching salary for outgoing Grant Williams. without getting into the mid-180's.

So, for this to be true, Dallas would need to generate a TE as part of the other wheeling and dealing it is doing or Dallas needs to send salary to a third team.  I like the idea of Grant Williams, but hard to picture financially unless we are missing a piece.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs want to change the entire array of centers, won't trade #10? - Jym - 06-21-2023

(06-21-2023, 07:00 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Brogdon alone doesn't match KP, so probably Gallo getting added to the outgoing or something roughly equivalent.  So this adds $5-$7mm to Boston's salaries that are already in the mid $160's.  Add in required roster spots and you are getting to the high 170's.  I don't see how Boston takes back matching salary for outgoing Grant Williams. without getting into the mid-180's.

So, for this to be true, Dallas would need to generate a TE as part of the other wheeling and dealing it is doing or Dallas needs to send salary to a third team.  I like the idea of Grant Williams, but hard to picture financially unless we are missing a piece.

Yeah hard to see a deal happening unless he just loves the fit and is willing to take the non-tax MLE

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs want to change the entire array of centers, won't trade #10? - ThisIStheYear - 06-21-2023

Jones Jr. Is headed toward free agency. I like him as a low cost acquisition.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs want to change the entire array of centers, won't trade #10? - DanSchwartzgan - 06-22-2023

(06-21-2023, 07:00 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I don't see how Boston takes back matching salary for outgoing Grant Williams. without getting into the mid-180's.

This from Mass Live following the KP/Smart trade:

Boston has the ability to address that depth issue if they bring back Grant Williams but that seems to be a long shot at this point barring another big move, per sources. The money and likely role for him is not there with Porzingis signed at $36 million. Instead, look for the Celtics to try to swing a sign-and-trade with him per sources and instead add another player for guard/wing depth or grab a future draft asset or traded player exception.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs want to change the entire array of centers, won't trade #10? - omahen - 06-22-2023

(06-22-2023, 07:36 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This from Mass Live following the KP/Smart trade:

Boston has the ability to address that depth issue if they bring back Grant Williams but that seems to be a long shot at this point barring another big move, per sources. The money and likely role for him is not there with Porzingis signed at $36 million. Instead, look for the Celtics to try to swing a sign-and-trade with him per sources and instead add another player for guard/wing depth or grab a future draft asset or traded player exception.

My guess would be Bullock and probably some minor draft compensation. Or just draft compensation, and Mavs send salary to a third team. Mavs problem is of course, that they don't have minor draft compensation. At least not yet.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs want to change the entire array of centers, won't trade #10? - SleepingHero - 06-22-2023

Am I the only one that doesn't really care all that much for Grant Williams and think it's a waste of time for the Mavs to try and come up convoluted methods to acquire him?

Bullocks value as a semi-expiring dude I believe is WAY higher than just Grant Williams.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs want to change the entire array of centers, won't trade #10? - BigDirk41 - 06-22-2023

(06-22-2023, 07:54 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Am I the only one that doesn't really care all that much for Grant Williams and think it's a waste of time for the Mavs to try and come up convoluted methods to acquire him?

Bullocks value as a semi-expiring dude I believe is WAY higher than just Grant Williams.

I don't understand the Grant Williams love either. I get why some want his toughness, but I don't want to pay him what he will cost.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs want to change the entire array of centers, won't trade #10? - omahen - 06-22-2023

(06-22-2023, 07:54 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Am I the only one that doesn't really care all that much for Grant Williams and think it's a waste of time for the Mavs to try and come up convoluted methods to acquire him?

I am also not really impressed by him, especially if they intend to pay him north of 15 per. In theory he fits, but Mavs need one more good player. If they spend assets and salary on G.Will, how can they solve that?

btw - I am even less of a fan of the other Collins, as long as we are speaking about starter material. This is the problem I have with the general idea of creating a TE with SA. Mavs need two players and TE can only cater to one, while spending the best asset getting it (and then some more to execute the SnT). Of course I may be wrong about Collins.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs want to change the entire array of centers, won't trade #10? - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 06-22-2023

I'd be so underwhelmed if the Mavs get G. Williams at 15M.
He is 24 and at this point he is what he is.
And what he is isn't that good.

On a sign and trade, I wouldn't add a second round pick for him (and luckily the Mavs don't have any to give).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs want to change the entire array of centers, won't trade #10? - Nowitzki Way - 06-22-2023

I don't see it with him either.  If it was an outright signing for him to be our 7th or 8th man, i'd be ok with.  But not trading anything of value for him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs want to change the entire array of centers, won't trade #10? - SweetFidelia - 06-22-2023

(06-22-2023, 08:05 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I don't understand the Grant Williams love either. I get why some want his toughness, but I don't want to pay him what he will cost.

100%.  I wish I could find that really smart post someone made a couple weeks ago about roster construction with the new CBA.  It had something like 2 stars at 40 mil, 2 starters around 20 mil, etc. and on down...I can't remember the exact details.  But, what do you pay (in the new CBA) a really quality 8th man on a playoff team?  So many role players got extremely overpaid the last few years.  It doesn't feel like that can continue, but I guess we'll find out in a week or so.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs want to change the entire array of centers, won't trade #10? - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 06-22-2023

Would you trade the 10th+Bertans+Mcgee+RB for Collins+Okungwu+JalenJohnson+46?

Hawks are going to pay Okungwu eventually, but they can reset the clock by picking Lively. They also keep their 15th pick, all the while unloading Collins.
Mavs lose a lottery pick, but gets a former number 6 pick who's ready to contribute. Okongwu likely won't be a star but even if he doesn't improve (he likely will), his current play is still way above any center the Mavs had in recent years.

Now if Black is available at 10. I wouldn't do this.
But Hendricks? I'm on the fence.

Just to simplify --
JalenJohnson+pick 46 are the rewards taken by the Mavs for taking in Collins (advantage Mavs).
The 10th pick is the payment for Okungwu (who wins this is up in the air for at least a year).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs want to change the entire array of centers, won't trade #10? - Nowitzki Way - 06-22-2023

(06-22-2023, 10:12 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Would you trade the 10th+Bertans+Mcgee+RB for Collins+Okungwu+JalenJohnson+46?

Just to simplify --
JalenJohnson+pick 46 are the rewards taken by the Mavs for taking in Collins (advantage Mavs).
The 10th pick is the payment for Okungwu (who wins this is up in the air for at least a year).

I think this is a fair trade. Maybe slightly in the Mavs favor. 

Bertans/McGee/Bullock is the payment for Collins.  

You can argue that Okongwu + Johnson is equal value for 10. They might be throwing 46 as a sweetener. 

Would I do this deal? I think it depends on who is there at 10 and would you rather have Okongwu or that guy. The rest of the trade is a wash. 

If i'm left with Lively, Dick, Wallace, Coulibaly then i might take the deal. I think i'd prefer to have Hendricks, Black, or Whitmore over Okongwu