MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs done with Wood, not expected to make offer - Jakeospikez - 06-16-2023

Said it somewhere here before, but it's really the FO's fault. They got DFS, Maxi, Seth, etc to all take team friendly deals but for Powell, they chose to overpay him for an extension and never find a suitable big that was capable of starting over him all these years. Maxi was the real starter but he gets injured too easily so he didn't bang at the beginning of games. Powell hasn't really done anything bad himself if the overpay was just his agent doing his job. Of course he accepts the deal, who wouldn't? The FO fell for it for whatever reason cause every Mavs fan knew it was an extreme overpay at the time. Also the torn achilles made things a lot worse but he was still overpaid regardless.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs done with Wood, not expected to make offer - BigDirk41 - 06-16-2023

Powell is fine as a 3rd or 4th big at 4-5 million a year. He is not a starter and he is soft like I previously said and cannot finish at the rim. He's absolutely a great teammate, person, in the community, etc, but this is about winning games. The Mavs cannot pay the guy 7-10 million a year. They aren't smart enough to reduce his pay or let him walk.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs done with Wood, not expected to make offer - F Gump - 06-16-2023

(06-16-2023, 01:44 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Paying Powell anything more than 5mil a year is an overpay. And I'm said because I know they're going to give him another 3/30 contract.

I agree with this.

The Mavs need to get it out of their heads that they MUST have him -- and must COMPETE for whatever other offers there are (or might be). It feels like they have overpaid him TWICE by competing against themselves - both times.

If someone pays more than 5M or so, good for him, but buh-bye if I'm doing the dealing. Powell at 10M or thereabouts is a luxury price that DAL cannot afford to pay. And even though he's a nice guy, there's no crime in offering him the minimum if that's what backup centers with huge flaws are getting paid, especially when your money is so limited.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs done with Wood, not expected to make offer - IamDougieFresh - 06-16-2023

I’m thinking the Mavs should hook up Queta and Bill Duffy with a minimum contract and tell Dwight and and Jeff Schwartz to piss off.

https://youtu.be/L1c9FQfC6-U

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs done with Wood, not expected to make offer - chaparral - 06-16-2023

(06-16-2023, 04:19 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I’m thinking the Mavs should hook up Queta and Bill Duffy with a minimum contract and tell Dwight and and Jeff Schwartz to piss off.

https://youtu.be/L1c9FQfC6-U

Please tell us more about this player.

Thanks.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs done with Wood, not expected to make offer - Jym - 06-16-2023

Yeah I'm curious to see what happens with Powell
It seems like they were more than prepared to move on from him early last year. Easy to forget he was buried on the bench early and I'm sure they were trying to turn his deal into a wing player after the McGee signing
Anything above 4 or 5 mil a year is absolutely idiotic

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs done with Wood, not expected to make offer - MrGoat - 06-16-2023

(06-16-2023, 07:06 PM)Jym Wrote: Yeah I'm curious to see what happens with Powell
It seems like they were more than prepared to move on from him early last year. Easy to forget he was buried on the bench early and I'm sure they were trying to turn his deal into a wing player after the McGee signing
Anything above 4 or 5 mil a year is absolutely idiotic

Anything above vet min is too much for Powell. I would welcome him back on a vet min, though

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs done with Wood, not expected to make offer - The Jom - 06-16-2023

If we used Powell as a backup C instead of starter, we’d all be happy with him. There are few better backup bigs in the league. The problem has always been that we didn’t have a #1. I see him going somewhere like Milwaukee and turning into a real playoff asset where he doesn’t have to defend the rim grab 10 boards to impress.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs done with Wood, not expected to make offer - SkenfromLMF - 06-16-2023

Anything less than $5 mil per should be workable but Powell at more than 5 is just obscene.
mark must secretly want to keep Powell as long as Rondo is in the league...
Moral of the story, l don't trade with Boston OR the Lakers, and I try to avoid dealing with Ainge and Riley for much of the magic is still in them.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs done with Wood, not expected to make offer - ItsGoTime - 06-17-2023

(06-16-2023, 11:40 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: much of the magic is still in them.
So add Orlando to the list?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs done with Wood, not expected to make offer - SkenfromLMF - 06-17-2023

touche'

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs done with Wood, not expected to make offer - IamDougieFresh - 06-17-2023

(06-16-2023, 06:57 PM)chaparral Wrote: Please tell us more about this player.

Thanks.

G League First Team Center. I believe he was 2nd in the running for DPOY. Has been a two way for the Kings playing mostly in the G League. Good defender, lob threat, good rebounder, big body, physical, runs the floor.

21.9 pts
11.4 reb
3.3 ast
1.2 stl 
2.5 blk 

68% fg
80.3% ft

(per 36)

Also, he has the same agent as Luka.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs done with Wood, not expected to make offer - omahen - 06-17-2023

Stein has two things about Mavs:
1) They are after Van Gundy
2) They rejected Collins+15 for Bertans and 10. They want Capela (confirmed report from Fisher)

https://marcstein.substack.com/p/more-nba-trade-free-agency-and-draft?r=p156y&utm_medium=ios&utm_campaign=post

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein: Mavs want Van Gundy. Rejected rumored Collins trade. Want Capela - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 06-17-2023

Geez, what is with the sudden Van Gundy fascination. He was a good coach, but in a totally different era. And has even been mailing it in on broadcasts for the last few years (whereas I think he did once upon a time offer some timely in game commentary.) is this more Cuban star chasing?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein: Mavs want Van Gundy. Rejected rumored Collins trade. Want Capela - Chicagojk - 06-17-2023

I am just not sold on Capella, but the asking price is pretty low if it was just 10 to 15. I am just worried he may dip another level soon.

I was a fan of Collins with the liklihood Lively or a FA center could be attained. Although, some good points that if you have Luka, Kyrie and Collins that is your big salary guys. Pretty tough when your top three players are not better than average defenders and are paid big money. So I get that as well.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein: Mavs want Van Gundy. Rejected rumored Collins trade. Want Capela - Jakeospikez - 06-17-2023

If they actually go through with something based around that Capela deal, I'd hope he's a 1 year stopgap maximum to go along with some draft pick that should be ready to take over next season or something like that. Have something already in the works for moving his expiring contract next offseason cause he shouldn't be here longer than that.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein: Mavs want Van Gundy. Rejected rumored Collins trade. Want Capela - Knutsen - 06-18-2023

(06-17-2023, 06:46 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am just not sold on Capella, but the asking price is pretty low if it was just 10 to 15.  I am just worried he may dip another level soon.

I was a fan of Collins with the liklihood Lively or a FA center could be attained.  Although, some good points that if you have Luka, Kyrie and Collins that is your big salary guys.    Pretty tough when your top three players are not better than average defenders and are paid big money.  So I get that as well.

It wouldn’t be just moving down from 10 to 15 for Capela, another big gain would be to get a possibly good starter in Capela for the wasted money that Bertans presents, who blocks a ton of financial resources without offering any on-court value. Wasted contracts like this keep a team from being really good.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein: Mavs want Van Gundy. Rejected rumored Collins trade. Want Capela - Mavs2021 - 06-18-2023

(06-17-2023, 06:46 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am just not sold on Capella, but the asking price is pretty low if it was just 10 to 15.  I am just worried he may dip another level soon.

I was a fan of Collins with the liklihood Lively or a FA center could be attained.  Although, some good points that if you have Luka, Kyrie and Collins that is your big salary guys.    Pretty tough when your top three players are not better than average defenders and are paid big money.  So I get that as well.

The argument would be that somebody like Paul Reed could potentially do the same Capela does for less money. He outplayed him H2H recently.

He literally plays behind the league MVP. Last season he played over 24 minutes just six times. Sixers were 6-0 in those games.

His stats in those six games were

27.6 MPG
15.0 PPG
11.2 RPG
1.0 APG
1.8 SPG
1.8 BPG
plus 19.33 +/-

He´s a young player. Volatility is expected. Obviously the tendency is you get minutes on good days and benched on bad days, but getting guys before it´s obvious to everybody is how you build successful rosters.

So yes maybe the easy answer is "it´s just five draft spots", but maybe the complex answer is, you keep the pick, take Black, Hendricks or Dick to become your long-term starting SF and then use Reggie Bullock to do a S&T for Paul Reed to avoid a RFA drama.

Of course this is all about talent evaluation and what you believe in. Capela/Bullock for 30M+ is the safe two year window option. Hendricks/Reed could fail or could lead to Luka playing with his version of Shawn Marion and Tyson Chandler just for ten years instead of two AND gain you $20M in cap flexibility for the next five years.
------

Also that JVG situation. Jesus Christ.

His brother came back from the broadcast booth after a break of just 2.5 years and it was a complete bust.

Now here are some of his players that were on the floor the last time JVG coached an NBA team: Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, Dikembe Mutombo, Juwan Howard and they played against the Seattle Super Sonics. Undecided

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein: Mavs want Van Gundy. Rejected rumored Collins trade. Want Capela - dirkfansince1998 - 06-18-2023

Agreed. He is already on a downwards trajectory. But picking up guys like him has been the way of things for as long as I can remember. Just how Cuban and co work. Mavs want proven players and sadly more often than not that translates to past their prime players.

DAJ > Randle or Smart
Bullock > Caruso or Poeltl

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein: Mavs want Van Gundy. Rejected rumored Collins trade. Want Capela - RoyTarpleysGhost - 06-18-2023

It would be nice to get a younger center than Capela but trading from 10 to 15 and getting rid of Bertans is pretty cheap for a starting center. He's signed for 2 more years and still in his 20s so you're not getting a completely washed DAJ and committed for 4 years.

Do you roll the dice on getting Naz Reid or Paul Reed for the taxpayer MLE and then giving them a starting role? I doubt it.