MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - SleepingHero - 06-15-2023

(06-15-2023, 08:16 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/fruitsnackeater/status/1669434928302379041?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

https://twitter.com/fruitsnackeater/status/1669438743541960710?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

I'm absolutely loving the workout vids. 

I know I shouldn't drink the "summer workout montage" kool-aid, especially because we've seen so many times before how it doesn't necessarily translate to any meaningful growth (*cough* Ben Simmons yearly shooting montage). 

But I love that Hardy has been seen in basically every summer workout vid that the Mavs released and how his team is releasing.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - Chicagojk - 06-16-2023

Hollinger center free agency rankings.  Wood at 3 and Powell at 5.  Above Vucevic, Naz Reid, plumlee, bamba,

5. Dwight Powell, 31, Dallas: $10,145,237

Powell isn’t the biggest center, doesn’t have 3-point range, is a poor rebounder for a five, racks up fouls and has perhaps lost a bit of athletic juice. All that is concerning if he’s signing a multi-year deal. On the other hand, he shot 73.2 percent last year, which makes up for a lot of ills. A lot of it was on rim runs and freebies from Luka Dončić, but Powell also shot well in floater range. That, and solid defense, is a big reason the Mavs can’t quit on him, despite repeated attempts to try.

Dallas is in a tight spot vis a vis the luxury tax, presuming it re-signs Kyrie Irving for something close to the max, so it will want to shave Powell’s number as low as possible. One way to squeeze things would be to offer him multiple years at a lower number than his market — say, three years and $20 million to $25 million.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 06-16-2023

(06-16-2023, 06:28 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Hollinger center free agency rankings.  Wood at 3 and Powell at 5.  Above Vucevic, Naz Reid, plumlee, bamba,

Powell isn’t the biggest center, doesn’t have 3-point range, is a poor rebounder for a five, racks up fouls and has perhaps lost a bit of athletic juice. All that is concerning if he’s signing a multi-year deal. On the other hand, he shot 73.2 percent last year, which makes up for a lot of ills. A lot of it was on rim runs and freebies from Luka Dončić, but Powell also shot well in floater range. That, and solid defense, is a big reason the Mavs can’t quit on him, despite repeated attempts to try.

Dallas is in a tight spot vis a vis the luxury tax, presuming it re-signs Kyrie Irving for something close to the max, so it will want to shave Powell’s number as low as possible. One way to squeeze things would be to offer him multiple years at a lower number than his market — say, three years and $20 million to $25 million.

LOL.
Hollinger just lost all credibility.

(unless of course, the FO's willing to give DP McGee-type money and prove once again they're the bigger idjetz.)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - DanSchwartzgan - 06-16-2023

(06-16-2023, 06:28 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Hollinger center free agency rankings.  Wood at 3 and Powell at 5.  Above Vucevic, Naz Reid, plumlee, bamba,

Look where Naz Reid lands in his system.

Wood over Lopez doesn’t seem realistic.  Curious if Wood will pursue big money from a cap room team (read crappy team) or will try to S&T his way to a better team.  My guess is the former.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - dirkfansince1998 - 06-16-2023

(06-16-2023, 06:53 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: LOL.
Hollinger just lost all credibility.

(unless of course, the FO's willing to give DP McGee-type money and prove once again they're the bigger idjetz.)

It´s based on a formula that overrates traditional bigmen boxscore production. Resulting in some really bad predictions over the last couple of seasons. He had Whiteside and Drummond in the 15-20m range when both ended up with minimum deals.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - omahen - 06-16-2023

(06-16-2023, 06:55 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Curious if Wood will pursue big money from a cap room team (read crappy team) or will try to S&T his way to a better team.  

I don't see the second option on his table. I think he can sign with a crappy team (is anyone interested?) or take discount at MLE or rMLE to play for a good team. I don't think a good team will give him a big contract and spend assets to get him. Perhaps, if Mavs would take some bad salary back, but why would Mavs do that? I think Mavs successfully tanked his value, at least as far as contenders are considered.

I think the only way for him to be paid more than exception money is if he is a starting centre, I doubt good teams have the luxury to pay more than exception money to third bigs (meaning first big coming from the bench either on PF or C position). Which good team would be looking for offense first starting centre? Perhaps Lakers, but I am not really interested in either Beasley or Bamba, which would be likely pieces coming back with some minor assets. Other than that only teams, that would be perhaps moving their starting centre. For example Phoenix. But with Durant and Booker, I am not sure if they need offense first centre.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - ItsGoTime - 06-16-2023

(06-16-2023, 07:06 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: It´s based on a formula that overrates traditional bigmen boxscore production. Resulting in some really bad predictions over the last couple of seasons. He had Whiteside and Drummond in the 15-20m range when both ended up with minimum deals.
Which is where Powell should end up. I question any market/team/calculation that has him making more.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - vfromlmf - 06-16-2023

edit to remove duplicate

(06-16-2023, 07:11 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Which is where Powell should end up. I question any market/team/calculation that has him making more.
Also, the fact he pointed out Powell’s 73% shooting and doesn’t make mention of 3.5 fga/gm is a large red flag.

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1669731468711542790?s=20

Interesting, glad at least there is that.

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1669720007213817856?s=20

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - Nowitzki Way - 06-16-2023

(06-16-2023, 10:49 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1669731468711542790?s=20

Who knew they even had a center? Depends if you count CWood as a center i guess.  

Wood and Powell free agents. Javale is the only left, so it wont be hard to remake the room.  Not a big proclamation on Stein's part.

McMillan Taking Year Off
Former Atlanta Hawks head coach Nate McMillan is taking at least a year off from coaching, as he politely declined the opportunity to join the Dallas Mavericks' coaching staff to spend time with family, league sources tell B/R.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - dirkfansince1998 - 06-16-2023

(06-16-2023, 12:14 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: McMillan Taking Year Off
Former Atlanta Hawks head coach Nate McMillan is taking at least a year off from coaching, as he politely declined the opportunity to join the Dallas Mavericks' coaching staff to spend time with family, league sources tell B/R.

Just like Kidd. We just didn´t notice because he still showed up for the games.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - Knutsen - 06-16-2023

(06-16-2023, 06:55 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Look where Naz Reid lands in his system.

Wood over Lopez doesn’t seem realistic.  Curious if Wood will pursue big money from a cap room team (read crappy team) or will try to S&T his way to a better team.  My guess is the former.

There could be some good teams where Wood could excel in a clearly defined role. I don’t think they‘ll bid for him, but having him coming from the bench as a scoring option for the Miami Heat next to Bam Adebayo would have helped them tremendously in these finals, wouldn’t it?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - DanSchwartzgan - 06-16-2023

(06-16-2023, 12:31 PM)Knutsen Wrote: There could be some good teams where Wood could excel in a clearly defined role. I don’t think they‘ll bid for him, but having him coming from the bench as a scoring option for the Miami Heat next to Bam Adebayo would have helped them tremendously in these finals, wouldn’t it?

Yeah.  Unlike Dallas, they have the defensive infrastructure to handle that.  I think Cleveland makes sense also.  Miami probably has bigger fish to fry (and would struggle to take in a S&T player).  I think you are onto the right kind of situation (which is what I said all season and which is what Wood apparently wants no part of).

Was curious which players complimented Luka and Kyrie best post trade last season (small sample size warning).  

THJ.     +14.3
DP.       +7.5
Green   +2.6
Maxi.    +1.0
Reggie  +0.2
Wood.  -14.8

Are we really sure we want to get rid of THJ and Powell?

On the salary front, I’ve been carrying Powell as $7.0mm on my spreadsheet.  I don’t know who pays him $10mm/year, but I can see someone paying the $7mm MLE.  If he needs to be more than that, maybe you give him a partially guaranteed 3rd year that you don’t intend to exercise that raises the average over the course of the two years he plays.  I think the ‘Powell Vet Min’ idea is a pipe dream.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs done with Wood, not expected to make offer - SleepingHero - 06-16-2023

Paying Powell anything more than 5mil a year is an overpay. And I'm said because I know they're going to give him another 3/30 contract.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - BigDirk41 - 06-16-2023

(06-16-2023, 01:41 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Yeah.  Unlike Dallas, they have the defensive infrastructure to handle that.  I think Cleveland makes sense also.  Miami probably has bigger fish to fry (and would struggle to take in a S&T player).  I think you are onto the right kind of situation (which is what I said all season and which is what Wood apparently wants no part of).

Was curious which players complimented Luka and Kyrie best post trade last season (small sample size warning).  

THJ.     +14.3
DP.       +7.5
Green   +2.6
Maxi.    +1.0
Reggie  +0.2
Wood.  -14.8

Are we really sure we want to get rid of THJ and Powell?

On the salary front, I’ve been carrying Powell as $7.0mm on my spreadsheet.  I don’t know who pays him $10mm/year, but I can see someone paying the $7mm MLE.  If he needs to be more than that, maybe you give him a partially guaranteed 3rd year that you don’t intend to exercise that raises the average over the course of the two years he plays.  I think the ‘Powell Vet Min’ idea is a pipe dream.

Powell sucks and needs to go to another team. Softest big man in the league and can't finish. No thanks.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs done with Wood, not expected to make offer - Jakeospikez - 06-16-2023

Fine with Powell here on a vet min like 4th backup injury insurance only big acting mostly as a player coach cause he does know what to do very well. Especially if rookie big(s) are added to the roster. Doubt the Mavs have any room to pay him any higher than that.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Stein-Mavs done with Wood, not expected to make offer - Chicagojk - 06-16-2023

I guess I understand some of the Powell hate, but on the other hand, I don't. Sure, he shouldn't be a starter on a good team. But he is they type of guy I want on my team. To have him as a backup behind a legit starter is the role I envision for him. He has played a lot of big games and can fill in when injury or foul trouble. When there isn't he can provide glue minutes 15-20 minutes a night. You can certainly do way worse then him.

While I don't think there is a guarantee he is back, I hope they agree on a team friendly 4-6 million dollar range deal.