MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - F Gump - 06-13-2023

(06-13-2023, 07:06 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Respectfully, this is Miami.  They are the best in the biz at this kind of thing.

1 That's true, particularly when it comes to seeing a path. (Although it doesn't mean they can do whatever they wish - trades require another front office to agree.)
2 If they can erase Lowry and the only real cost is pick 18, I think it happens regardless of any other plans. That would allow them to re-sign Vincent and Strus and end up below Apron 2.
3 If I'm Dallas, I'm really not interested in Herro/Dipo/Jovic for KI. That's way light in talent return - MIA wants to offer a package of players who were not in their playoff mix? Hard pass.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 06-13-2023

I agree if that’s the return for Kyrie to Miami, Luka is as good as gone. What’s the most cap space they can get to if they dump Lowry for air and we don’t play ball? Wouldn’t they still need to dump Dipo and Herro to get Kyrie $?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - dirkfansince1998 - 06-13-2023

(06-13-2023, 10:42 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: The Denver blueprint for roster construction has been talked about alot. When you read about their trades and signings, you keep hearing one word. FIT. They know what they have in Jokic/Murray and they find role players who compliment and FIT their big 2. I only hope we can do the same with Luka/Kyrie.

Thing is that the fit starts with your big 2 and I am not sure if Kyrie/Luka is a natural fit. So far we saw a lot of "your turn...my turn". Can Luka develop an off ball game? Can the coaches find ways to involve both without turning one into a spot up shooter? Not to even mention potential defensive issues.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - Knutsen - 06-13-2023

(06-13-2023, 10:42 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: The Denver blueprint for roster construction has been talked about alot. When you read about their trades and signings, you keep hearing one word. FIT. They know what they have in Jokic/Murray and they find role players who compliment and FIT their big 2. I only hope we can do the same with Luka/Kyrie.

It also interesting to see that they only played 8 guys the whole series. This is normal come playoff/finals time, but to see they acquired 3 of the 8 in this last off season gives us hope. 

Murray = Kyrie
Jokic = Luka
Gordon = ???
Porter Jr = ????
Caldwell-Pope = THJ

Brown =  Hardy
Braun = Josh Green
Green = Maxi

We are technically missing two pieces from an 8 man Finals rotation. The problem is one of them is a center and the other should be one of these tall athletic forwards like Gordon, Siakam, or to a lesser extent Vanderbilt, DFS, etc. With both needing defense as their calling card. 

This view pushes me towards trading #10 for a 3rd wheel like the Nuggets did with Aaron Gordon.  This would probably need to be a big.
Then we'd only need our Porter Jr.  Or is Josh Green ready to step up and be our version of Porter Jr?

If so then maybe we only need our Christian Braun. The 21st pick in the previous draft. Do we get a pick past the lottery for trading down past 10?  
This is where versions of the Atlanta trade would be a homerun for us.   Dallas get Collins/#15 for Bertans/Bullock / #10

At 15 we draft the best fit of who could be available. Lively, Hood-Schifino, Leonard Miller, Coulibaly, Jordan Hawkins

New roster compared to Denver:
Murray = Kyrie
Jokic = Luka
Gordon = John Collins
Porter Jr = Josh Green
Caldwell-Pope = THJ

Brown =  Hardy
Braun = #16 
Green = Maxi

Brown is probably going to opt out. I would love to have him in a starting role between Kyrie and Luka, because he’s a great rebounder and good defender and shooter. But we probably can‘t pay him much more than Denver could (7.8 million). And he said that he‘s willing to stay for less money because winning is more important to him than money right now.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - Nowitzki Way - 06-13-2023

(06-13-2023, 11:57 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Thing is that the fit starts with your big 2 and I am not sure if Kyrie/Luka is a natural fit. So far we saw a lot of "your turn...my turn". Can Luka develop an off ball game? Can the coaches find ways to involve both without turning one into a spot up shooter? Not to even mention potential defensive issues.

I have the same questions. When i posted that, i almost mentioned that Denver has the perfect set up with their "big 2". A ball handler and a super hybrid big. He's basically a 7 foot Luka. 

Our "big 2" was two ball dominant handlers. Hard to make work, but it can work.

(06-13-2023, 12:09 PM)Knutsen Wrote: Brown is probably going to opt out. I would love to have him in a starting role between Kyrie and Luka, because he’s a great rebounder and good defender and shooter. But we probably can‘t pay him much more than Denver could (7.8 million). And he said that he‘s willing to stay for less money because winning is more important to him than money right now.

Brown is one of those "glue" guys. Any team would love to have him.  

I bet Denver keeps him, 100%. But he would fit on this team for sure.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - DanSchwartzgan - 06-13-2023

(06-13-2023, 11:30 AM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: I agree if that’s the return for Kyrie to Miami, Luka is as good as gone. What’s the most cap space they can get to if they dump Lowry for air and we don’t play ball? Wouldn’t they still need to dump Dipo and Herro to get Kyrie $?

Just to be clear with everyone, I’m not advocating for a Kyrie to Miami trade with Herro, Dipo and Jovic as the return (even if they added a future pick).  I’m trying to think through the “what could go wrong” side of this.

People think Kyrie to Houston rumors are about getting Kyrie more money.  They could just as easily be about forcing the Mav’s to send him where he wants to go rather than losing him for nothing.  I think Miami would certainly have interest in Kyrie as the missing piece for the rest of the Jimmy/Bam era.  And it isn’t hard to imagine Kyrie wanting to join.  So, it comes down to Miami being able to dump salary to be eligible for a S&T (I think they can) and putting together a package for Dallas.

Here is an important aspect of this if we assume Kyrie wants out and Dallas takes the Houston threat seriously.  The Miami package DOES NOT have to equal what we gave up to get Kyrie.  It DOES NOT have to represent fair value in the market place.  All it has to do is be better than what Dallas could do in the open market with cap room and the room MLE (vs. the Miami package and the full MLE).  Without Kyrie, Dallas suddenly needs another creator.  Who in the FA market is better at that than Herro?  Where would Jovic be taken in the current draft if he were available.  I would submit it would be much higher than last year’s #27:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EToc4VjAoiQ

Dipo is injured and can’t be counted on to be more that salary filler (though he is expiring filler).  I personally don’t think we can use cap space any better than this in free agency.  Yes, there is a theoretical trade out there that is better than Herro/Jovic.  But, what is that trade and is it realistic.  This would be a bit of a reset around #10, Jovic, Green and Hardy with Luka and Herro being the scorers.  We still need a shut down big in the paint.  But, that was the case with Irving, so that hasn’t changed in this scenario.  Again, not my preferred outcome, but I struggle to trust that Kyrie won’t screw us.  One more thing about cap room vs. assets…if we take cap room, we gave up SD, DFS and 2029 for nothing.  If we take Herro/Jovic, we can at least debate the relative value of those two groups of players over time.

Oh, the board is going to lose it's SH!T in 3, 2, 1.....

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - Knutsen - 06-13-2023

(06-13-2023, 12:13 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: I have the same questions. When i posted that, i almost mentioned that Denver has the perfect set up with their "big 2". A ball handler and a super hybrid big. He's basically a 7 foot Luka. 

Our "big 2" was two ball dominant handlers. Hard to make work, but it can work.

It can definitely work, because LeBron and Kyrie did work just fine together. But we can‘t afford a Love-type as our best big man because LeBron was a much better defender than Luka is - our big men have to even this out.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - Scott41theMavs - 06-13-2023

(06-13-2023, 03:01 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Oh, the board is going to lose it's SH!T in 3, 2, 1.....

link please

(06-13-2023, 03:04 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: link please

Never mind.  I was duped.

Dwight Powell got you!

(06-13-2023, 03:06 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Dwight Powell got you!

Step Back Jay got me.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - Chicagojk - 06-13-2023

You have to be leary of the Heat. Great organization, favorite place to live and they just seem to walk into stuff. The Voodoo S they did getting Butler was just crazy. I mean look at this below. I know there were reasons for this but still. Dallas would have traded liked 4 first round picks in this scenario.

Heat acquire:

SG: Jimmy Butler
C: Meyers Leonard
76ers acquire:

SG: Josh Richardson
Trail Blazers acquire:

Hassan Whiteside
Clippers acquire:

Mo Harkless
Protected 2023 first-round pick

I read somewhere today (was it here ?) that the Heat did put in an offer for Irving prior to being traded to Dallas.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - Jym - 06-13-2023

(06-13-2023, 03:17 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: You have to be leary of the Heat.  Great organization, favorite place to live and they just seem to walk into stuff.  The Voodoo S they did getting Butler was just crazy.    I mean look at this below.  I know there were reasons for this but still.  Dallas would have traded liked 4 first round picks in this scenario.

Heat acquire:

SG: Jimmy Butler
C: Meyers Leonard
76ers acquire:

SG: Josh Richardson
Trail Blazers acquire:

Hassan Whiteside
Clippers acquire:

Mo Harkless
Protected 2023 first-round pick

I read somewhere today (was it here ?) that the Heat did put in an offer for Irving prior to being traded to Dallas.

Still such a weird off season for us 
We could have gotten Dragic plus that 2023 first round pick if we tried at all

(06-13-2023, 03:43 PM)Jym Wrote: Still such a weird off season for us 
We could have gotten Dragic plus that 2023 first round pick if we tried at all

That's part of what was so impressive about what Miami did.  It was plan B after the draft night trade with us blew up if I remember right.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - HoosierDaddyKid - 06-13-2023

(06-13-2023, 12:16 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Brown is one of those "glue" guys. Any team would love to have him.  

I bet Denver keeps him, 100%. But he would fit on this team for sure.

And to think Detroit traded him away for a guy that isn't in the league anymore.  Kudos to him for developing his game. Brooklyn even had him playing PF and the "Dunkers Spot" when he was there.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - IamDougieFresh - 06-13-2023

The gentleman from MavsDraft on twitter said he thinks Hendricks will be the one to fall to us at 10.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - F Gump - 06-13-2023

(06-13-2023, 12:28 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Here is an important aspect of this if we assume Kyrie wants out and Dallas takes the Houston threat seriously.  The Miami package DOES NOT have to equal what we gave up to get Kyrie.  It DOES NOT have to represent fair value in the market place.  All it has to do is be better than what Dallas could do in the open market with cap room and the room MLE (vs. the Miami package and the full MLE). 

"The Miami package DOES NOT have to equal what we gave up to get Kyrie. It DOES NOT have to represent fair value in the market place." --

Actually, DAL is the one who sets the parameters on what it takes for MIA to get Kyrie, not MIA. It has to equal whatever DAL says it must, or the Mavs can just say no and MIA doesn't get him. The threat of "or else, Houston" is meaningless for Miami to use, since Miami doesn't get Kyrie if they shoot that bullet. Nor does it help Kyrie either (and it's kind of a hollow threat, since if he really wanted HOU, he could sign there before all the discussion. If they even want him, that is)

The Kyrie negotiation first begins with Dallas. It only gets past that should he and the Mavs fail to see eye to eye.

A snt begins to be considered should there be an impasse between DAL-Kyrie on the numbers -- and then, it becomes to both of their best interest to find another good team who will want to pay Kyrie his money AND offer what satisfies the Mavs. Although the discussion here keeps pushing MIA as the place, I don't think that trade convo is necessarily with MIA.

I believe the alternative to "MIA snt" will be other bidders, both for Kyrie's salary and to satisfy DAL, and not HOU. Kyrie does have a big say, of course, but it takes all 3, not just 1 or 2, to make a snt.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - Chicagojk - 06-15-2023

https://twitter.com/fruitsnackeater/status/1669434928302379041?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

https://twitter.com/fruitsnackeater/status/1669438743541960710?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg