MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - dirkfansince1998 - 06-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 10:40 AM)F Gump Wrote: What? Are you sure?

The new CBA has a limit of 10% cap increases. If we calculate 110% of last year's MLE it lands at only about 11.4M.

The new CBA uses 12.2 for the MLE. It seems unlikely there would be much jump (if any) off that number, in light of the 10% ceiling.

Starting at 12.2M, with max raises, a full MLE deal is only 4/54.

Base projections that I have seen on most sites are in the 5-10% cap/MLE increase range. But I guess you could be right. We have seen seasons without any MLE changes in the last ten years.

Just to play with the numbers. For 2024/25

+5%   12.83 first year salary
+10% 13.47 first year salary

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - F Gump - 06-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 01:07 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Base projections that I have seen on most sites are in the 5-10% cap/MLE increase range. But I guess you could be right. We have seen seasons without any MLE changes in the last ten years.

Just to play with the numbers. For 2024/25

+5%   12.83 first year salary
+10% 13.47 first year salary

Oh, I thought when you said "current MLE" you were talking about the looming numbers for this summer.

If we assume 12.2M MLE this summer, and are talking about MLE in summer of 2024 and factor in a 7.5% bump (right in the middle of your preferred range), another team with full MLE can offer him up to 4/56.4.

70M still looks a good bit too rich to me.

My concern is that while he took a decent jump in the 1st half of last season, he leveled out or even came back down in the last half. It would be helpful if we had behind-the-scenes knowledge of whether he's showing something more that we don't see in the games, but we don't.

IMO it's not about whether he is tradable at that number, but rather the question of what you can spend -- he just doesn't produce enough to merit 17M/year. At this point, if he was wanting and insisting on 70M (or who knows, maybe even more?), I'd have to leave him for the RFA world.

(06-06-2023, 01:38 PM)F Gump Wrote: Oh, I thought when you said "current MLE" you were talking about the looming numbers for this summer.

If we assume 12.2M MLE this summer, and are talking about MLE in summer of 2024 and factor in a 7.5% bump (right in the middle of your preferred range), another team with full MLE can offer him up to 4/56.4.

70M still looks a good bit too rich to me.

My concern is that while he took a decent jump in the 1st half of last season, he leveled out or even came back down in the last half. It would be helpful if we had behind-the-scenes knowledge of whether he's showing something more that we don't see in the games, but we don't.

IMO it's not about whether he is tradable at that number, but rather the question of what you can spend -- he just doesn't produce enough to merit 17M/year. At this point, if he was wanting and insisting on 70M (or who knows, maybe even more?), I'd have to leave him for the RFA world.

Just looking at it from Green´s perspective. I think an offer below the MLE would encourage him to test his value. Something I would like to avoid. Wouldn´t be happy about a 4/70 deal but maybe they can find a reasonable number inbetween.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - BigDirk41 - 06-06-2023

I like Green's potential, but I mean he's not even guaranteed a starting spot. He doesn't deserve 4/70 or anywhere close. I don't even like the 4/56 mentioned, but that would be much more tolerable. Smart teams do not overpay their own players. That being said they also don't allow the Brunson situation to happen. I probably won't be happy on a new deal for Green. I just hope it's team friendly as much as possible and I am now ok with including him in trades if it moves the needle on this team. To me that's the smarter play if he actually wants the reported number. Who knows though. That number could be totally made up.

(06-06-2023, 02:04 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I like Green's potential, but I mean he's not even guaranteed a starting spot. He doesn't deserve 4/70 or anywhere close. I don't even like the 4/56 mentioned, but that would be much more tolerable. Smart teams do not overpay their own players. That being said they also don't allow the Brunson situation to happen. I probably won't be happy on a new deal for Green. I just hope it's team friendly as much as possible and I am now ok with including him in trades if it moves the needle on this team. To me that's the smarter play if he actually wants the reported number. Who knows though. That number could be totally made up.

Just think that many people are still stuck in the mid 2010s when it comes to player salaries. For me it comes down to one question. Is Green a player that should be getting 20-30 minutes per game? If the answer is yes he is at least an MLE level player.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - BigDirk41 - 06-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 02:10 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Just think that many people are still stuck in the mid 2010s when it comes to player salaries. For me it comes down to one question. Is Green a player that should be getting 20-30 minutes per game? If the answer is yes he is at least an MLE level player.

I get what you are saying on modern salaries. From what I've read on here from F Gump and Dan and others, the new CBA sounds like salaries really have to be handled correctly going forward. I think Green looked great at times last year and I think he completely disappeared a lot also. I am more encouraged than discouraged with his progress,  but I'm not convinced yet that he's for sure turned the corner and will be worth that money. Also I fully expect Cuban to pay Kyrie 200 million or whatever his crazy max is. We can't afford to overpay role players with Luka and Kyrie on the team. F Gump thinks it's an overpay and he's the cap guru around here along with Dan so I don't feel like this is a smart move. I don't have a problem with him getting the full mid level or even the 4/56 F Gump proposed, but I think that's the high end of his value currently. The Mavs have a history of overpaying their own players. They have to be smarter going forward.

(06-06-2023, 02:18 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I get what you are saying on modern salaries. From what I've read on here from F Gump and Dan and others, the new CBA sounds like salaries really have to be handled correctly going forward. I think Green looked great at times last year and I think he completely disappeared a lot also. I am more encouraged than discouraged with his progress,  but I'm not convinced yet that he's for sure turned the corner and will be worth that money. Also I fully expect Cuban to pay Kyrie 200 million or whatever his crazy max is. We can't afford to overpay role players with Luka and Kyrie on the team. F Gump thinks it's an overpay and he's the cap guru around here along with Dan so I don't feel like this is a smart move. I don't have a problem with him getting the full mid level or even the 4/56 F Gump proposed, but I think that's the high end of his value currently. The Mavs have a history of overpaying their own players. They have to be smarter going forward.

I would prefer to pay Green MLE money before I ever touch Kyrie´s max but I guess the ship has sailed and the Mavs are all in.
And to double down on my last post. 4/56 is right around the projected number for the MLE in 2024/25. It´s not an "or even" situation. Maybe that´s not the smartest way to operate under the new CBA. We will see if teams completly abandon MLE contracts and start to split exception into cheaper deals.

(06-06-2023, 02:10 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Just think that many people are still stuck in the mid 2010s when it comes to player salaries. For me it comes down to one question. Is Green a player that should be getting 20-30 minutes per game? If the answer is yes he is at least an MLE level player.

Actually I don't think so. The issue is a LIMITED amount to spend, combined with the fact that (in all likelihood) you have 2 players making 40M apiece that eats up half your possible payroll.

Now you have to weigh EACH added contract, not in light of "what does it take to keep him," but also (and maybe mostly) in light of "will he give me what I need, for paying him that pct of the total payroll?"

I posted a possible way to look at how you spend that 170M, and it's not easy. While my numbers aren't gospel, they do reflect the issue of how all contracts impact each other. If you spend 18M a year on Josh the Scrub, you can't spend it on your 3rd best player that you need to be super productive. (The same applies to someone like Ayton and his 33M, by the way. Unless he's reallllly good, that will be killer slice out of the payroll.) Looking at it for what it is, it's easy to see what a mess Cuban has made of the payroll. And it's hard to build a team without money to spend.

Plugging Mavs current numbers into a reasonable way to split payroll....
40-star  LUKA 40
40-star  KYRIE  40
20-starter and strong key player  THJ  18
20-starter and strong key player  [BERTANS 17 - alternate DB sw 4.5 + MLE player]
10   MAXI 11
10   BULLOCK 10
5    GREEN 5
5    MCGEE 6
5    #10 PICK   5
6x2 each - all minimums  HARDY

(06-06-2023, 02:54 PM)F Gump Wrote: Actually I don't think so. The issue is a LIMITED amount to spend, combined with the fact that (in all likelihood) you have 2 players making 40M apiece that eats up half your possible payroll.

Now you have to weigh EACH added contract, not in light of "what does it take to keep him," but also (and maybe mostly) in light of "will he give me what I need, for paying him that pct of the total payroll?"

I posted a possible way to look at how you spend that 170M, and it's not easy. While my numbers aren't gospel, they do reflect the issue of how all contracts impact each other. If you spend 18M a year on Josh the Scrub, you can't spend it on your 3rd best player that you need to be super productive. (The same applies to someone like Ayton and his 33M, by the way. Unless he's reallllly good, that will be killer slice out of the payroll.) Looking at it for what it is, it's easy to see what a mess Cuban has made of the payroll. And it's hard to build a team without money to spend.

Plugging Mavs current numbers into a reasonable way to split payroll....
40-star  LUKA 40
40-star  KYRIE  40
20-starter and strong key player  THJ  18
20-starter and strong key player  [BERTANS 17 - alternate DB sw 4.5 + MLE player]
10   MAXI 11
10   BULLOCK 10
5    GREEN 5
5    MCGEE 6
5    #10 PICK   5
6x2 each - all minimums  HARDY

Don´t disagree that this would be a good salary structure for the future but as you implied there are many ways to get it done. Heat are in the finals. A couple of month ago many posters argued that they have even more bad salary (Herro, Lowry and Robinson combine for 75) than the Mavs.
In Green´s case I just don´t see how the Mavs can replace his production/role for less than what it would cost them to keep him. Options are limited. If they resign Kyrie capspace isn´t a realistic option. That leaves them with the MLE (might as well use similar money to keep Green) or a trade (will cost assets that the Mavs lack and may need for bigger moves).

(06-06-2023, 04:54 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Don't disagree that this would be a good salary structure for the future but as you implied there are many ways to get it done. Heat are in the finals. A couple of month ago many posters argued that they have even more bad salary (Herro, Lowry and Robinson combine for 75) than the Mavs.

In Green´s case I just don´t see how the Mavs can replace his production/role for less than what it would cost them to keep him. Options are limited. If they resign Kyrie capspace isn't a realistic option. That leaves them with the MLE (might as well use similar money to keep Green) or a trade (will cost assets that the Mavs lack and may need for bigger moves).

1 The Heat's issue was never about this year but next. (This year they weren't even taxpayers. Next season they'll be over the moon, with similar issues that the Mavs have with Green, but a massive salary jump for Herro all in place, and more to come on better players than Green in Strus and Vincent.)
2 The discussion is not whether Green has some value, but rather what number makes sense to pay for the value he offers, and where you draw the line.
3 "I just don´t see how the Mavs can replace his production/role for less than what it would cost them to keep him." -- What if he wants max money? No way to do better than just give it to him? What players are you moving, and how will you do it, to find that much payroll room (or however much you are willing to pay) - remember, with a hard cap, every dollar (or million) you pay him means you have to find a way to cut somewhere else.

At MLE, or a bit over, he works imo. Much beyond that and I think you have to look for alternatives. That's based on what I think he's showing.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - Chicagojk - 06-06-2023

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1666193613410238464?s=20

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 06-06-2023

4yr-60m ballpark seems perfect for both the team and Josh Green. He gets security, we get an ever-so-slight discount. He doesn’t turn 23 until after next season. He’s by all accounts a hard worker.  He’s on an upward trajectory with massive improvements shown in his game last season. He’s super athletic, plays hard always and is an excellent and potentially highly versatile defender when he gets stronger and smarter and gets more benefit from the whistles—- all qualities this team is sorely lacking.. He’s most certainly a starter here going forward. Let’s not overthink this.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - Chicagojk - 06-06-2023

Some Mavs pictures.  Dwight showing how he wants his statue to look like and McGee informing Cuban how much longer his contract is for.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtKPFxDOWSL/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - omahen - 06-07-2023

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1666193613410238464

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - ItsGoTime - 06-07-2023

(06-07-2023, 02:15 AM)omahen Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1666193613410238464
So Russillo only likes Josh Green on our roster past Kyrie and Luka. That’s it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - Mapka - 06-07-2023

(06-07-2023, 04:03 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: So Russillo only likes Josh Green on our roster past Kyrie and Luka. That’s it.

That's more than I like, if we talk about starters.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - Mavs2021 - 06-07-2023

Hardy putting in the "just trade Kyrie" or the "I´ll be an All-Star, whereever they send me, after Kyrie gets his 250/5"-work.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - BigDirk41 - 06-07-2023

(06-07-2023, 05:53 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Hardy putting in the "just trade Kyrie" or the "I´ll be an All-Star, whereever they send me, after Kyrie gets his 250/5"-work.

I really expect Hardy to blow up this year. I'm excited about him going forward.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - ItsGoTime - 06-07-2023

(06-07-2023, 11:26 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I really expect Hardy to blow up this year. I'm excited about him going forward.
If given consistent minutes, I agree. Consistent minutes is much harder to do with THJ still here.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - DanSchwartzgan - 06-11-2023

From Stein (remember when I brought up this possibility some time back):

IfIIIf Harden stays put in Philly …

James Harden is routinely billed as the Rockets' top target in free agency, but several other names have circulated, not surprisingly, given that Houston is projected to have an estimated $59 million in salary cap space this summer.

IifIFOther free-aagents-to-be that have been linked to the Rockets in recent weeks include Toronto's Fred VanVleet, Brooklyn's restricted free agent Cam Johnson, Memphis' Dillon Brooks and the Milwaukee duo of Khris Middleton and Brook Lopez.

I have also heard that the Rockets, in the event that they are unable to lure Harden away from Philadelphia and back to Houston, plan to weigh a run at Dallas' Kyrie Irving.

The Mavericks remain the league's only known team with definitive interest in signing the mercurial Irving next month, but league sources say that the Rockets have been increasingly cited as a team that could (stress: could) join the bidding if Harden elects to stay with the 76ers

Of course, Houston will provide leverage to every FA of any note this summer until they actually use their space.