MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Dennis Lindsay signs according to Stein - F Gump - 05-23-2023

(05-20-2023, 11:12 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The expectation in rival front offices, when it comes to the Mavericks' selection, nonetheless continues to be that they will try to package No. 10 with, say, Tim Hardaway Jr. and/or Dāvis Bertāns and/or JaVale McGee in a trade to be consummated after Dallas makes the pick.

To me the ideal trade for what the Mavs need to get back on the right track is with BKN.

Package 10 with THJ (or Bertans) + McGee

Get back 21 with Claxton + DFS

(Can be agreed to on draft day, but has to wait until July to be able to include DFS)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Dennis Lindsay signs according to Stein - IamDougieFresh - 05-23-2023

(05-23-2023, 10:12 PM)F Gump Wrote: To me the ideal trade for what the Mavs need to get back on the right track is with BKN.

(Can be agreed to on draft day, but has to wait until July to be able to include DFS)

+41

Where do I sign?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Dennis Lindsay signs according to Stein - BigDirk41 - 05-23-2023

(05-23-2023, 10:12 PM)F Gump Wrote: To me the ideal trade for what the Mavs need to get back on the right track is with BKN.

I love this for the Mavs, but I don't understand why BKN would entertain it. Is the #10 pick this valuable or maybe I'm missing something. Claxton is a young athletic big with potential already putting up solid numbers and DFS is a really good role player, 5th starter. I'm definitely all for it if this is on the table.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Dennis Lindsay signs according to Stein - F Gump - 05-24-2023

(05-23-2023, 11:30 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I love this for the Mavs, but I don't understand why BKN would entertain it. Is the #10 pick this valuable or maybe I'm missing something. Claxton is a young athletic big with potential already putting up solid numbers and DFS is a really good role player, 5th starter. I'm definitely all for it if this is on the table.

I think (or hope) the perceptions in BKN might be very different than here.
1 For them, DFS wasn't that valuable at all. He shot 35% overall, and 30% on 3s. That's the guy you want -- one the other team doesn't value highly, but that you have reason to see as potentially a better player here who fits in how he fills a need.
2 Claxton does have value to them, but he's about to want to get paid (summer 2024 free agent who is not extension eligible and will be UFA), and is a danger to walk. Since they aren't on the cusp of being a big winner any time soon, maybe they would opt for a younger cheaper talent with cost control (pick 10) to play for a leap in the standings further down the line.
3 The Nets don't have their star player to carry them very far in the playoffs (they were swept 0-4 in the first round), but 10 certainly gives them a way better lottery ticket than 21 does.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Dennis Lindsay signs according to Stein - omahen - 05-24-2023

I agree that would be great deal for Mavs. Even if we would get O'Neale instead of DFS. I think the basic construction is also fair for both sides. The only question I think is the Nets direction. Most of their picks are going to Houston, so they don't have the incentive to tank. However, they do have a bunch of other picks to trade. They have a solid core of role players, but lack the star(s). So, there is a possibility their interest is mostly on keeping the core and just executing a deal for a star or two.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Dennis Lindsay signs according to Stein - DanSchwartzgan - 05-24-2023

We've come full circle.  When I proposed something less aggressive a few weeks back, you asked me why Brooklyn would do that.  Obviously, I love this.  I'm not sure THJ/10 gets all three of Claxton, DFS and 21.  Maybe you get two of the three elements from Brooklyn.  The pick value chart says 10 = the combo of 21 and 22.  So, you are getting Claxton and DFS for THJ and 22 if you keep 21.  Seems a tad strong on the Dallas side of this.  Remove 21 and it is Claxton/DFS for THJ/10.  Seems more fair to Brooklyn.

Since they already have Joe Harris, I wonder if they'd prioritize someone other than THJ.  Maybe Reggie/McGee for Claxton/ONeal and the pick swap.  The main thing obviously is moving off of the risk of Claxton walking and getting a shot at someone who can grow into something better than will be available at 21 or 22.  The rest is just deck chairs.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Dennis Lindsay signs according to Stein - Chicagojk - 05-24-2023

(05-24-2023, 06:17 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: We've come full circle.  When I proposed something less aggressive a few weeks back, you asked me why Brooklyn would do that.  Obviously, I love this.  I'm not sure THJ/10 gets all three of Claxton, DFS and 21.  Maybe you get two of the three elements from Brooklyn.  The pick value chart says 10 = the combo of 21 and 22.  So, you are getting Claxton and DFS for THJ and 22 if you keep 21.  Seems a tad strong on the Dallas side of this.  Remove 21 and it is Claxton/DFS for THJ/10.  Seems more fair to Brooklyn.

Since they already have Joe Harris, I wonder if they'd prioritize someone other than THJ.  Maybe Reggie/McGee for Claxton/ONeal and the pick swap.  The main thing obviously is moving off of the risk of Claxton walking and getting a shot at someone who can grow into something better than will be available at 21 or 22.  The rest is just deck chairs.

I haven't thought much about Brooklyn.   I agree all three for 10 is too much.   I don't know if DFS and O'neal is enough value for #10.    Don't think Claxton would interest Brooklyn switching one of those out, but I am just guessing.

I think the player I would have interest most though is Cam Johnson.   He is a restricted FA and he may garner some big offers.    Could do a sign and trade with him for #10 while also taking back #22?    Not sure how it would work and is probably not likely, but he would be the guy who would interest me.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Dennis Lindsay signs according to Stein - BigDirk41 - 05-24-2023

(05-24-2023, 01:10 AM)F Gump Wrote: I think (or hope) the perceptions in BKN might be very different than here.
1 For them, DFS wasn't that valuable at all. He shot 35% overall, and 30% on 3s. That's the guy you want -- one the other team doesn't value highly, but that you have reason to see as potentially a better player here who fits in how he fills a need.
2 Claxton does have value to them, but he's about to want to get paid (summer 2024 free agent who is not extension eligible and will be UFA), and is a danger to walk. Since they aren't on the cusp of being a big winner any time soon, maybe they would opt for a younger cheaper talent with cost control (pick 10) to play for a leap in the standings further down the line.
3 The Nets don't have their star player to carry them very far in the playoffs (they were swept 0-4 in the first round), but 10 certainly gives them a way better lottery ticket than 21 does.

That makes sense. Thanks for the response.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Dennis Lindsay signs according to Stein - HoosierDaddyKid - 05-26-2023

https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1662152461782482951

Luka puttin in work!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Dennis Lindsay signs according to Stein - SleepingHero - 05-27-2023

https://www.qcnews.com/news/former-nba-player-current-assistant-coach-darrell-armstrong-facing-impaired-driving-charge-gpd/amp/

Darrell Armstrong just got arrested for a DWI

RE: MAVS NEWS: Darrell Armstrong arrested for DWI - speedkilz88 - 05-27-2023

Former Asst Coach I guess will be updated soon.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Darrell Armstrong arrested for DWI - SkenfromLMF - 05-27-2023

(05-24-2023, 08:49 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I haven't thought much about Brooklyn.   I agree all three for 10 is too much.   I don't know if DFS and O'neal is enough value for #10.    Don't think Claxton would interest Brooklyn switching one of those out, but I am just guessing.

I think the player I would have interest most though is Cam Johnson.   He is a restricted FA and he may garner some big offers.    Could do a sign and trade with him for #10 while also taking back #22?    Not sure how it would work and is probably not likely, but he would be the guy who would interest me.

The issue at that point is that it requires multiple picks being held up by a FA signing - which if prearranged might draw the ire of the tampering police. We do not have a good line of credit when it comes to guideline breaks

RE: MAVS NEWS: Darrell Armstrong arrested for DWI - The Jom - 06-01-2023

Have we not shamed Darrel Armstrong long enough with this thread title? This is a basketball joint, no? Seems kinda tabloidish.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Darrell Armstrong arrested for DWI - SleepingHero - 06-01-2023

(06-01-2023, 10:42 PM)The Jom Wrote: Have we not shamed Darrel Armstrong long enough with this thread title? This is a basketball joint, no? Seems kinda tabloidish.

You right. I wasn't trying to shame the dude, more like I forgot to change the title lol.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - DallasMaverick - 06-04-2023

[Image: 350827288_207178882225617_13522950111078...e=6481CB3B]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - DanSchwartzgan - 06-05-2023

You say you don't like JVG as an announcer.  What if.....

From Stein:

The Mavericks remain interested in former Suns and Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek to potentially join Kidd's staff, league sources say, as I reported here on April 30.

Yet I'm also told that they plan to gauge Jeff Van Gundy’s interest in a potential return to the bench as an aide to Kidd after 15-plus years in broadcasting. The ESPN analyst is, of course, in the midst of working the NBA Finals.

Van Gundy hasn't coached in the NBA since the 2006-07 season with Houston. But the former Knicks and Rockets coach did serve as head coach of USA Basketball's 2017 FIBA AmeriCup team and its 2019 World Cup qualifying team largely featuring players from the G League. Gregg Popovich then made Van Gundy an assistant coach on the team of NBA stars that won the 2020 Tokyo Olympics contested in 2021.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - omahen - 06-05-2023

(06-05-2023, 08:24 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: You say you don't like JVG as an announcer.  What if.....

From Stein:

The Mavericks remain interested in former Suns and Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek to potentially join Kidd's staff, league sources say, as I reported here on April 30.

Yet I'm also told that they plan to gauge Jeff Van Gundy’s interest in a potential return to the bench as an aide to Kidd after 15-plus years in broadcasting. The ESPN analyst is, of course, in the midst of working the NBA Finals.

Van Gundy hasn't coached in the NBA since the 2006-07 season with Houston. But the former Knicks and Rockets coach did serve as head coach of USA Basketball's 2017 FIBA AmeriCup team and its 2019 World Cup qualifying team largely featuring players from the G League. Gregg Popovich then made Van Gundy an assistant coach on the team of NBA stars that won the 2020 Tokyo Olympics contested in 2021.

I am not really convinced. Sure he is a name. But, over 15 years without real league coaching experience is a very long time. And in my opinion, coaching USA teams has very little to do with X and Os, it is all about managing superstar personalities, imho. 

In general, I am dissapointed how Cuban is building the FO and coaching staff, areas where salary cap doesn't come into consideration. Most ambitious teams show the money and hire what are considered top talents. Mavs hired a nobody GM. I don't see any rising stars in their FO under him. They hired a very average coach (who hired mostly a bunch of inexperienced assistants). Not a good outlook when you have a top5 player.

I said after the Donnie fiasco, how that story ended. The only way to show you are serious is to go after what is undoubtfully a respected name, both at GM and coach position. Mavs did neither. Results are not a surprise.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - ItsGoTime - 06-05-2023

(06-05-2023, 08:24 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: You say you don't like JVG as an announcer.  What if.....

From Stein:

So, I think that might work in the sense that I don’t think JVG will be a yes man to Kidd. He’ll have opinions and voice them. Whether they are outdated opinions is another concern. He is also a draw up plays type of coach, so maybe Kidd turns that over to him?

If he is the guy, it looks like they are getting older “consultants” to advise on the side to make up for the lack of actual personnel (in the FO case at least). Don’t really have an opinion one way or another, just really hope it works, but bracing for another disaster.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - Chicagojk - 06-05-2023

LOL. Had to double check this was not a parody account. Hilarious.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1665747152327389186

Oh they are all coming out. LOL

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1665748449260883968

RE: MAVS NEWS: Waiting for Draft/FA to start - SwisherPrice - 06-05-2023

Cuban is about to trade #10 for any pick in 2024 so they can take Bronny