MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - omahen - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 06:12 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The Mav's can just say no if they don't get their price.

They can, of course. 

(05-03-2023, 06:12 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: That dynamic doesn't exist between Dallas and Irving. 

It could very quickly, if Mavs would "block" his move to a desired location. If player says he wants to be somewhere else, I don't think you have much leverage.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - DanSchwartzgan - 05-03-2023

(05-02-2023, 11:41 AM)chaparral Wrote: How is the new guy (Lindsey's) history in deals with the Heat or Excel clients?

Too lazy to look this up as it would take time to look at every player and check it against agent lists.  

He kept Hayward when he was a RFA, but pissed him off by making him go get an offer to be matched.  He moved up in the draft one year combining picks and seemed to generally try to build through the draft.  He had some misses, but a cursory glance at those drafts showed me that at the position the player drafted played, the picks usually made sense (in other words, players of the same position taking within the next 5-10 slots weren't any better).  Obviously Gobert and Mitchell were big hits (or big misses by the teams drafting ahead of Utah).

The question in all of this is how much influence he'll really have.  If Cuban is still at the top of the pyramid, none of this may matter.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - DanSchwartzgan - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 06:39 AM)omahen Wrote: It could very quickly, if Mavs would "block" his move to a desired location. If player says he wants to be somewhere else, I don't think you have much leverage.

Look 'Rie' (its OK if I call you Rei?), we want to help you out here, but we just gave up two good players and an unprotected pick for you.  Either Miami sends what we want or you play here (our intention all along) or good luck in Houston.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - omahen - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 06:58 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Look 'Rie' (its OK if I call you Rei?), we want to help you out here, but we just gave up two good players and an unprotected pick for you.  Either Miami sends what we want or you play here (our intention all along) or good luck in Houston.

Smile

Sure Cubes, I can call you Cubes, right. I will gladly sign here for full max. Dallas is best city I have been to. 

Six months later., after missing 75 % of games to different reasons beyond imagination..

I demand a trade, because you disrespected me.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - F Gump - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 06:12 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Miami sits at $179mm counting their pick and empty slots.  And that only fills 13 spots on their roster.  .

I did not know this (as I mentioned, I didn't check the numbers on any of this), and if you addressed it elsewhere, I missed it. But ...
1 MIA wouldn't be allowed to S&T for Kyrie or anyone with a payroll in that vicinity. They have to land below ~$170M (the apron) with a hard cap at that number for the entire roster.
2 At the same time, if you're offloading salary from MIA to DAL, you potentially create insurmountable problems in the Mavs payroll.
3 That may all be solved within the trade as you've outlined. If so, never mind!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - omahen - 05-04-2023

Too bad he didn't do that with Wood, for example Smile

NBACentral on Twitter: "Jason Kidd is happy Jalen Brunson got the bag from the Knicks “I love when I can help people get paid.” (Via @shobasketball ) https://t.co/sGELKvaGSZ" / Twitter

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - omahen - 05-04-2023

A quote from Hollinger piece below:

With my spies telling me that Utah in particular is keeping a very interested eye on Dončić’s situation

Cam Johnson, Ben Simmons, Cam Thomas, draft options and more: Nets’ offseason questions - The Athletic

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - HoosierDaddyKid - 05-04-2023

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37418771/mavericks-luka-doncic-pay-funerals-belgrade-shooting

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 05-04-2023

Man, they can’t fire Kidd soon enough. He’s practically begging for it. You’re happy you got him paid?! By the Knicks? The team that you left Dallas for as a FA after reneging? Cuban must be a masochist. This, DeAndre Jordan. What a loser— Cuban or Kidd. Take your pick.

Also, classic Kidd. Making it about how HE got Jalen paid. He did it himself homeboy.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - BigDirk41 - 05-04-2023

(05-04-2023, 09:08 AM)omahen Wrote: A quote from Hollinger piece below:

With my spies telling me that Utah in particular is keeping a very interested eye on Dončić’s situation

Cam Johnson, Ben Simmons, Cam Thomas, draft options and more: Nets’ offseason questions - The Athletic

Many more Luka rumors will be coming this year. Thanks Cuban!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 05-04-2023

Yes indeed. And we’ve seen how the NBA punishes blatant tampering. Lose a 2nd round pick? For a shot at Luka? I’m sure Pat Riley will be deterred from meeting with Luka like he did with LeBron. You know, the time he got ZERO punishment for meeting with another team’s superstar player in order to collude with them. I’m sure Jeannie Buss and Ballmer are licking their chops.

How long before JB is wooing Luka to New York?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - F Gump - 05-04-2023

(05-04-2023, 07:45 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Many more Luka rumors will be coming this year. Thanks Cuban!

The fact that the sharks are already circling the waters for Luka should alarm Cuban to hire experts who can roster-build, and get out of the way. But I'm not sure he has the requisite humility to acknowledge his own limits and his need to hire people better than himself to steer the ship. Which is sad-disappointing-frustrating-maddening.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - khaled1987 - 05-04-2023

(04-30-2023, 11:37 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Borrego and Hornacek certainly don't have the winning pedigree I'm valuing, but if they were great coaches they wouldn't be looking for an assistants gig anyways...

Stotts would be a very interesting hire. He certainly knows how to run an NBA level offense.

I like Borrego tbh, I think he was building something good with the hornets before they cut it short. Fairly young too.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - HoosierDaddyKid - 05-04-2023

Budenholzer was fired from the Bucks today, how about him?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - F Gump - 05-04-2023

(05-04-2023, 09:14 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Budenholzer was fired from the Bucks today, how about him?

Bud replaced Kidd in MIL. He could be a candidate to replace him next summer.

That makes this idea too threatening to Kidd, who will undoubtedly be under some pressure this year. You want him to focus on being a better coach, rather than spending time feeling he has to watch his back while coaching.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - Mavs2021 - 05-05-2023

(05-04-2023, 09:23 PM)F Gump Wrote: Bud replaced Kidd in MIL. He could be a candidate to replace him next summer.

That makes this idea too threatening to Kidd, who will undoubtedly be under some pressure this year. You want him to focus on being a better coach, rather than spending time feeling he has to watch his back while coaching.

I'm honestly shocked at this development. Guy lost his brother during the series and they fire him for lack of performance? Rolleyes Holyshit. It´s not like he won the NBA title with them. If you thought the death effected his performance, send him home to grieve and let an assistant coach.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - juanc - 05-05-2023

(05-04-2023, 09:07 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: I like Borrego tbh, I think he was building something good with the hornets before they cut it short. Fairly young too.

I would also like to get Borrego, especially as an ofensive coordinator. The ideal scenario would be to bring back Igor, but yeah..

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - HoosierDaddyKid - 05-05-2023

(05-05-2023, 12:46 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I'm honestly shocked at this development. Guy lost his brother during the series and they fire him for lack of performance? Rolleyes Holyshit. It´s not like he won the NBA title with them. If you thought the death effected his performance, send him home to grieve and let an assistant coach.

He got fired because he never made adjustments to control Jimmy Butler who averaged 48 ppg in the series. He never tried using Giannis or Crowder on him (Crowder played 3 mins the whole series) never trapped him to get the ball out his hands, never called timeouts to stop runs, and never put a big under-the-rim to stop the lob to Butler that sent the game to OT. I get it. His firing was insensitive because he lost his brother, but it was justified because expectations were high and they finished with the best record. Nothing less than a Finals appearance was unacceptable.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - ItsGoTime - 05-05-2023

If he’ll take an assistant job, I think Vogel will be Sweeney’s replacement.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - Mavs2021 - 05-05-2023

(05-05-2023, 06:00 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: He got fired because he never made adjustments to control Jimmy Butler who averaged 48 ppg in the series. He never tried using Giannis or Crowder on him (Crowder played 3 mins the whole series) never trapped him to get the ball out his hands, never called timeouts to stop runs, and never put a big under-the-rim to stop the lob to Butler that sent the game to OT. I get it. His firing was insensitive because he lost his brother, but it was justified because expectations were high and they finished with the best record. Nothing less than a Finals appearance was unacceptable.

Yeah I get that, but maybe if you weren´t such a chump of an owner/GM/assistant coach/star player you´d go and say: Listen Bud, seems you are not yourself, maybe take a step back, go home and grieve. We got your back.

To sit there and watch him bottle it for two weeks, cause his mind is with his dead brother, is more on the others than on him.