MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - omahen - 05-02-2023

(05-02-2023, 09:52 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: ...Herro/Lowry for Kyrie...

Plenty to like about this idea. Also plenty to be worried about. 

I am not sure about your valuation. Kyrie is a FA and even if we "mask" this deal before official start of FA, Mavs don't really have a lot of leverage, if Kyrie wants to be elsewhere. And I think moving Kyrie will happen only, if he comes to Mavs and says he wants to be elsewhere. Mavs are not in position to shop him around, as he is a FA. They can only work with his guys to get him to destination he wants to get to. Historically, the SnT didn't bring much value. You can reject trash for the purpose of salary matching. Philly took just Richardson from Miami in the Butler SnT, while Miami worked with two other teams to send out appropriate remaining salary. Toronto only got Achiuwa from Miami, combined with expiring Dragic. Looking at this, Miami seem to be SnT masters Smile Chicago paid Thad Young a future pick for DeRozan. New Orleans took 1 SRP (!!!) for Lonzo. 

Herro is young and scores a lot, but is not really a defensive savant. Is he able to be a starter on a contender or is he a 6th man instant scoring type? In my opinion, you either like him or you don't. But I think there are teams out there that would give assets for him. Lowry has fallen of a cliff, but is expiring. So not really considered as that bad salary filler. You either take him or force Miami to pay someone to take him. 

All together, I think Herro+Lowry is best you can hope for with Miami eating any additional needed salaries.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - SleepingHero - 05-02-2023

https://twitter.com/Boweman55/status/1653149161439608836?s=20

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - chaparral - 05-02-2023

(05-02-2023, 09:52 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It started for me with the cryptic tweet from Demaris (inferring the Mav's offseason is tied to Miami).   It is easy for me to imagine Miami wanting to sub Kyrie for Lowry for the remainder of the Butler window.  I can also see Brooklyn wanting to send Kyrie west (requiring a two step process for Miami to get him back to the east).  Then it becomes a matter of price and timing.

I played around with some stuff Sunday night and then had to make amendments because I was trying to use the Bullock partial guarantee and had the timing wrong (sound familiar?).   I mention the timeline because last night I searched for Herro trade rumors to see how he was valued in Miami (since Miami is having playoff success without him right now).  I found several Herro/Lowry for Kyrie based rumors both last summer and at the TDL.  There was one really good article at the TDL that explained how a Kyrie/Mills for Herro/Lowry/Jovic deal would work with Herro's PP.  So, ideas like this are in the public domain if the SGITR can do a Google search Smile .

I tend to agree that the trade leaves me wanting a bit (maybe the sign of a balanced trade?).  The issues I have are:

1.  It doesn't solve the center situation.  Something else would need to be done.  Fortunately, Dallas (in the proposed deal) would have Miami's 23 pick (18th) and their own 27 pick to address this.  Whatever Lively becomes, he's not likely to be a playoff starter in year one.  So, Dallas would need to either use the TP MLE to get a center and draft Lively to develop or send the pick(s) out to bring in a more experienced center (Capela, Claxton et al...the usual suspects).

2.  I didn't intend to trade Hardy.  Unfortunately, given the need to make this pre 7/1, we just don't have many contracts to work with to hit the very specific dollar targets.  So, I settled on Kyrie, McGee and Hardy.  Moving McGee in this has value.  Maybe Hardy can go to a third team creating another asset for Dallas as his going to Miami feels like an overpay.  

3.  The draft compensation feels light compared to the unprotected 2029 we gave up.  Maybe Miami's unprotected 2027 would be more valuable than #18 in the upcoming draft.  Maybe it needs to be #18 to make up for Hardy's inclusion AND Miami's 2027 to compensate for the Dallas 2029.

I do like other elements of the deal compared to what we gave Brooklyn:

1.  Herro replaces Dinwiddie.  Herro is younger (with upside) and tied up for years where we were going to need to negotiate with Dinwiddie very soon.  I think that is a clear upgrade.

2.  Lowry is about done, but as a bench PG who holds down the spot for a year (and expires along with Bertans and Reggie), he has some value.  The Dallas cap sheet would clean up a ton a year from now.  I really like Wallace with #10 and a year of Lowry would better prepare Wallace to take over the backup PG role with a similar defensive ability to what Lowry used to provide.

3.  I think Jovic has a much brighter future than DFS.  I'm not anti-Dorian, but he showed a serious regression prior to being traded.  What he did was valuable, but I think we've seen peak Dorian.  Jovic is already a ton more skilled in a bigger body that is cost controlled.  You won't see this looking at stats.  You'll need to watch film of his better games (NBA and GLeague).  He might turn into Markkanen in the not too distant future.  We still have Maxi around to keep us from being too reliant on Jovic's inexperience.

Another interesting aspect of this (for me) is Herro and Jovic are both Excel clients.  Schwartz always seems to be entwined with Dallas in years Powell is a FA and has leveraged that to Powell's advantage.  To me, there is a lot that makes sense about all of this...especially if you think Dameris might have some inkling of what is coming.

How is the new guy (Lindsey's) history in deals with the Heat or Excel clients?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - F Gump - 05-02-2023

(05-02-2023, 09:52 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It started for me with the cryptic tweet from Demaris (inferring the Mav's offseason is tied to Miami).   It is easy for me to imagine Miami wanting to sub Kyrie for Lowry for the remainder of the Butler window.  I can also see Brooklyn wanting to send Kyrie west (requiring a two step process for Miami to get him back to the east).  Then it becomes a matter of price and timing.

I played around with some stuff Sunday night and then had to make amendments because I was trying to use the Bullock partial guarantee and had the timing wrong (sound familiar?).   I mention the timeline because last night I searched for Herro trade rumors to see how he was valued in Miami (since Miami is having playoff success without him right now).  I found several Herro/Lowry for Kyrie based rumors both last summer and at the TDL.  There was one really good article at the TDL that explained how a Kyrie/Mills for Herro/Lowry/Jovic deal would work with Herro's PP.  So, ideas like this are in the public domain if the SGITR can do a Google search Smile .

I tend to agree that the trade leaves me wanting a bit (maybe the sign of a balanced trade?).  The issues I have are:

1.  It doesn't solve the center situation.  Something else would need to be done.  Fortunately, Dallas (in the proposed deal) would have Miami's 23 pick (18th) and their own 27 pick to address this.  Whatever Lively becomes, he's not likely to be a playoff starter in year one.  So, Dallas would need to either use the TP MLE to get a center and draft Lively to develop or send the pick(s) out to bring in a more experienced center (Capela, Claxton et al...the usual suspects).

2.  I didn't intend to trade Hardy.  Unfortunately, given the need to make this pre 7/1, we just don't have many contracts to work with to hit the very specific dollar targets.  So, I settled on Kyrie, McGee and Hardy.  Moving McGee in this has value.  Maybe Hardy can go to a third team creating another asset for Dallas as his going to Miami feels like an overpay.  

3.  The draft compensation feels light compared to the unprotected 2029 we gave up.  Maybe Miami's unprotected 2027 would be more valuable than #18 in the upcoming draft.  Maybe it needs to be #18 to make up for Hardy's inclusion AND Miami's 2027 to compensate for the Dallas 2029.

I do like other elements of the deal compared to what we gave Brooklyn:

1.  Herro replaces Dinwiddie.  Herro is younger (with upside) and tied up for years where we were going to need to negotiate with Dinwiddie very soon.  I think that is a clear upgrade.

2.  Lowry is about done, but as a bench PG who holds down the spot for a year (and expires along with Bertans and Reggie), he has some value.  The Dallas cap sheet would clean up a ton a year from now.  I really like Wallace with #10 and a year of Lowry would better prepare Wallace to take over the backup PG role with a similar defensive ability to what Lowry used to provide.

3.  I think Jovic has a much brighter future than DFS.  I'm not anti-Dorian, but he showed a serious regression prior to being traded.  What he did was valuable, but I think we've seen peak Dorian.  Jovic is already a ton more skilled in a bigger body that is cost controlled.  You won't see this looking at stats.  You'll need to watch film of his better games (NBA and GLeague).  He might turn into Markkanen in the not too distant future.  We still have Maxi around to keep us from being too reliant on Jovic's inexperience.

Another interesting aspect of this (for me) is Herro and Jovic are both Excel clients.  Schwartz always seems to be entwined with Dallas in years Powell is a FA and has leveraged that to Powell's advantage.  To me, there is a lot that makes sense about all of this...especially if you think Dameris might have some inkling of what is coming.

A. This feels like it's way over Cuban's head, both in imagining what and why, and in having the negotiating skill to do it. From past experience, it's fairly certain that if he tried it, he'd get raped in the deal. I hate to be so skeptical, but you have to be after so many years of ineptitude.

B. But it's a good model to think about (and wish for) for the Mavs to do, even if imo (and yours) it feels a bit light in what they will net. Kyrie is a special offensive talent, and I think he's less of an issue than he's typically painted. Your latest idea to include 2 1sts, 2023 and a later one that's unprotected (earliest possible is 2028), does make more sense to me. I think that's the right ballpark of what they should get.

C. Thanks for thinking through the timeline issues and cap totals and salary matching, because it's so tricky to work through, but vital to think about the differences between June and July with the changes coming. On this one, I didn't take time to double-check all the various numbers or details fwiw, but in looking a bit closer I do think this has to be a July deal (S&T) and can't be a June deal (E&T).

D. All of that having been said, the hardest part of the deal seems like it would be how to navigate Kyrie. Or it might not be hard at all. IMO they probably need to find some way to work WITH Kyrie no matter what they do, if they want to come out ahead in the long run, whether it's on a new deal in July or a S&T deal and destination. Unfortunately Cuban has a long history of screwing over players AFTER promising to work with them on this or that, a fact well known around the league, so he might get more cooperation from Kyrie in a S&T to a trustworthy team than on a deal staying in Dallas.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 05-02-2023

(05-02-2023, 09:52 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I really like Wallace with #10

Same here but I think you're better off not getting your hopes up.  I think both Wallace's and Hendricks will be off the board at 10 and those three feel like the ones to make an immediate impact.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - IamDougieFresh - 05-02-2023

In a shocking turn of events, the best Mavs reporter works for MIKE FISHER. On a serious note Grant is the best.

https://twitter.com/grantafseth/status/1653386514762530818?s=46&t=-lW3MUk_hy_SiUq46U-6RA

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - ItsGoTime - 05-02-2023

What flies in the face of them trying to trade him is him at least not getting more time. When he started our record was also much better than any other C’s starting record. If they wanted to trade him they did it opposite of how it should be done. SGitR strikes again? This is the point where SGitR HAS to meet the EitR (elephant in the room) isn’t it?

This is such a great contrast to an unhinged Skin screaming calling the fan base crybabies.

A recent episode of "Inside the Mavs" mentioned how the coaching staff "never really wanted him," while framing the trade to acquire Wood as being a "salary dump." A team with depleted assets must be calculated in how they use them. Packaging four non-rotation players on expiring contracts wouldn't even be an effective salary dump, especially when contracts for players like Davis Bertans and Tim Hardaway Jr. were kept. 

"You don’t give up a first-round pick just for one run at a playoffs,” Mavs owner Mark Cuban said during his court-side talk with reporters late in the season.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - RoyTarpleysGhost - 05-02-2023

It also cited one anonymous Mavs official who stated that assistant coach Sean Sweeney's easiest stretch of the season came when Wood was sidelined due to a fractured thumb since he didn't have to stand up and call out defensive assignments on every possession. 

This is a tale as old as time. Happens in every sport. Most coaches don’t look at the overall production of a player. There are certain traits that are deal breakers for coaches. 

Even if Wood overall is a better player than Powell, not knowing defensive assignments is one of those deal breaker traits.

(05-02-2023, 03:17 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: It also cited one anonymous Mavs official who stated that assistant coach Sean Sweeney's easiest stretch of the season came when Wood was sidelined due to a fractured thumb since he didn't have to stand up and call out defensive assignments on every possession. 

This is a tale as old as time. Happens in every sport. Most coaches don’t look at the overall production of a player. There are certain traits that are deal breakers for coaches. 

Even if Wood overall is a better player than Powell, not knowing defensive assignments is one of those deal breaker traits.

No matter what you think about Wood, the logical conclusion is that Dirty Mark and the boys are idiots. 

They traded a first for a guy they knew before hand wasn’t what they wanted. Then they had to give up additional assets to get Hardy.

(05-02-2023, 03:17 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: It also cited one anonymous Mavs official who stated that assistant coach Sean Sweeney's easiest stretch of the season came when Wood was sidelined due to a fractured thumb since he didn't have to stand up and call out defensive assignments on every possession. 

You mean coach Sweeney, who worked with Wood in Detroit for two years and knew exactly what to expect?

Here is what the cryptic tweet was about Smile

Brian Dameris on Twitter: "Yes, there are lessons for the Mavs to learn from Miami's upset of the Bucks. It's just not what you think. My latest for @DMagazine https://t.co/hTjE2CtJLD" / Twitter

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - F Gump - 05-02-2023

That article contrasts the stark difference between MIA evaluation and player development, and Dallas. Cuban's GM-ing is so bad.

The reality is that for teams who know how to evaluate, negotiate, and develop, there are many opportunities to create a pipeline of affordable talent. But Cuban doesn't want to pay for the staff to create that pipeline -- an expense that the cap doesn't limit. It's just hard work.

For the last two minutes of overtime, the Heat rolled out a lineup of Butler and four guys who were on two-way contracts at some point in their careers. Gabe Vincent started as a two-way player in Miami. Max Strus had a two-way in Chicago before Miami signed him to one in 2020. Caleb Martin signed a two-way in 2021 and was converted to a standard contract that year because of his stellar play. Haywood Highsmith started in Miami on a 10-day contract. And that doesn’t even include Duncan Robinson, who started on a two-way contract in 2018. 

Theo Pinson, who started on a 10-day contract during COVID-related absences in December 2021, is the only Mavs two-way player who converted to a standard contract. The likes of Johnathan Motley, Jalen Jones, Daryl Macon, Antonius Cleveland, and more have never signed a standard NBA contract, for the Mavs or any other team.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 05-02-2023

Love all the creative ideas for the different directions this team can go in the summer, Kyrie or no. Put me in the “only including Hardy for a star,” camp. Shot 40% from 3 as a 20yr. old rookie. By all accounts a gym rat. No fear. Pedigree. May turn out to be one of the best contracts in the league in a year or two (if not already.)

If we sign Kyrie, Hardy is our super 6th man and replaces him in a couple years pretty seamlessly. If we SnT Kyrie, Hardy is a starter next year. Either way he’s a core piece going forward to me unless someone is dangling a star and we are really, truly all-in.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - dirkfansince1998 - 05-03-2023

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/1653384002206588932

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - IamDougieFresh - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 01:00 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/1653384002206588932

It's over.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - Mavs2021 - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 01:00 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/1653384002206588932

Is that supposed to be Powell on the left and no Kyrie? Got to love this franchise. Their level of incompetence knows no boundaries in any department.

Also not my interpretation of the drawing, but camel jockey is kind of an insensitive term for Middle Easterners, so that picture is at the minimum stereotypcial, unfortunate and uncreative.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - omahen - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 01:44 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Is that supposed to be Powell on the left

I think that is supposed to be Green. No FA in this picture, which kind of makes sense.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - DanSchwartzgan - 05-03-2023

(05-02-2023, 11:15 AM)omahen Wrote: I am not sure about your valuation. Kyrie is a FA and even if we "mask" this deal before official start of FA, Mavs don't really have a lot of leverage, if Kyrie wants to be elsewhere. And I think moving Kyrie will happen only, if he comes to Mavs and says he wants to be elsewhere. Mavs are not in position to shop him around, as he is a FA. They can only work with his guys to get him to destination he wants to get to. Historically, the SnT didn't bring much value. You can reject trash for the purpose of salary matching. Philly took just Richardson from Miami in the Butler SnT, while Miami worked with two other teams to send out appropriate remaining salary. Toronto only got Achiuwa from Miami, combined with expiring Dragic. Looking at this, Miami seem to be SnT masters Smile Chicago paid Thad Young a future pick for DeRozan. New Orleans took 1 SRP (!!!) for Lonzo. 

All together, I think Herro+Lowry is best you can hope for with Miami eating any additional needed salaries.

This may all be moot since the Dameris tweet turned out to be different than I was hoping (thanks for posting).

I wonder if the calculus isn't different now given the limits of the CBA.  Miami sits at $179mm counting their pick and empty slots.  And that only fills 13 spots on their roster.  They'd have to send out more salary than they take back as this time they don't have mid-sized expiring contracts like Dragic and Richardson to move (great examples BTW).  There aren't really any viable threats among good teams to force Dallas's hand.  The Mav's can just say no if they don't get their price.

I'd also point out that Toronto was done with Lowry and the relationship between Butler and Philly was trash.  That dynamic doesn't exist between Dallas and Irving.  I think we got him at a quite reasonable price and I'm only looking at this because 1. Everyone wants to go to Miami and his timeline aligns well with the three years remaining on the Butler and Bam contracts (it makes more sense to me than Phoenix or LAL) and 2. There might be an opportunity to 'flip' him for more than we paid for him while at the same time.  

FG points out that this needs to be a 23/24 trade.  That means it can be as simple as Irving for Herro/Lowry/Jovic and pick if Kyrie gets his max (as long as Dallas stays under the second Apron).  Miami would be hard capped, and would have to fill out their roster with the room created by this trade.  

To be clear, I'm not interested in giving up Irving for Herro/Lowry.  I like Herro.  I think he's basically a 23 year old Zach LaVine (with better on/off numbers).  But, the reason to take on Lowry in my mind is to get Jovic and the draft capital.  Miami's 2028 and the Dallas 2027 might be super valuable picks given the age and/or contract status of their stars.  Part of the reason for doing this would be to use those picks to add another piece.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - DanSchwartzgan - 05-03-2023

(05-02-2023, 12:41 PM)F Gump Wrote:  

B. But it's a good model to think about (and wish for) for the Mavs to do, even if imo (and yours) it feels a bit light in what they will net. Kyrie is a special offensive talent, and I think he's less of an issue than he's typically painted. Your latest idea to include 2 1sts, 2023 and a later one that's unprotected (earliest possible is 2028), does make more sense to me. I think that's the right ballpark of what they should get.

C. Thanks for thinking through the timeline issues and cap totals and salary matching, because it's so tricky to work through, but vital to think about the differences between June and July with the changes coming. On this one, I didn't take time to double-check all the various numbers or details fwiw, but in looking a bit closer I do think this has to be a July deal (S&T) and can't be a June deal (E&T).

D. All of that having been said, the hardest part of the deal seems like it would be how to navigate Kyrie. Or it might not be hard at all. IMO they probably need to find some way to work WITH Kyrie no matter what they do, if they want to come out ahead in the long run, whether it's on a new deal in July or a S&T deal and destination.  

Thanks for the response...agree with all of the above.  I removed the less hopeful parts as I'm optimistic even if my optimism is often dashed by this team.  As mentioned in the response to Omahen, a 23/24 deal removes the need to include Hardy (never wanted to include Hardy, but his was the only salary that worked).  I do envision Dallas working with Kyrie if both team and player can get what they want out of such a transaction.  

I'm really interested to see the specifics on how the second apron rules will be phased in.  I'm especially curious about the aggregation rules and using the TPE as a trade exception.  The deal in 23/24 can be as simple as Irving for Lowry, Herro, Jovic and pick(s).  But, that puts Dallas within $1mm of the second apron (assumes we keep 10 and 18 and fill in the roster with mins and don't use the TPE).  Dallas can stretch Reggie's guarantee to give itself more room as I don't think anyone wants to cross the line.  But they might be able to trade him into someone's MLE saving the full amount if they identify an MLE player they think is more valuable than Reggie.