MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - Chicagojk - 05-01-2023

(05-01-2023, 09:08 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/1653036762002862084?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

So Mavs thinking probably:

Ring ring- Hi Milwaukee, tough loss.  You must really want to blow things up.  How about Bertans and THJ for Middleton?

Milwaukee- hangs up phone

Mavs panic as they had no backup plan and we are left scrambling.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - SwisherPrice - 05-01-2023

Middleton and/or Ayton?  Sick But it wouldn't surprise me...and knowing Cuban, he will overpay because he is desperate. The Mavs haven't had a real roster-building plan or strategy since before 2011.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - SleepingHero - 05-01-2023

I actually don't mind Middleton depending the cost. 

THJ+Bullock for Middleton seems fair and saves MIL a bunch of money. 

Also just to remind ourselves how Cato operates and why his writing should be viewed with the craftiest of lenses, "

Quote:"If there’s any other glimmer of hope from the miserable season that was, it’s how clearly it exposed the team’s flaws, one team executive said in a late-season conversation. That another season, where the team had been luckier, might not have sparked such conviction in meaningful change.

'I saw this coming a long time ago,” one former team employee said, “but I didn’t expect it to be this bad.'"

What are the chances that this quote is from none other than Donnie Nelson?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 05-01-2023

(05-01-2023, 11:27 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: What are the chances that this quote is from none other than Donnie Nelson?

Was thinking the same thing.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - RDB - 05-01-2023

Randon thoughts:

Cuban
IMO, Cuban’s biggest problem is he is his own worst enemy.  He had a huge amount of success early in life in a world that rewards a hands on self determination, visionary views, and a blind faith in oneself.  The qualities that made him successful in the tech world are not going to be rewarded the same way in the basketball world.  

Couple that with things like the worship he gets from Shark Tank, his pharma business, movie star treatment, and even calls for presidential runs and it’s easy to see why he might have a permanent sugar high from drinking his own Kool-aid.  A good slice of humble pie could be the best thing for him.  The question will be does he have enough self awareness to know what he is eating.  Often the only way people with his success & personality type know how to handle adversity is to continue to double down.  

Brunson
There is no doubt that in hindsight, Dallas screwed the pooch.  This is not a defense of the Mav’s, they are the one’s who saw him every day and should have had the best gauge of his future potential.

However, there were plenty of folks on this site that questioned the price at which Brunson should be retained.  He looked underwhelming in the ‘21 postseason and basically looked like a high quality backup at that point.  All the way up to the TDL, there were still many folks suggesting he would be exposed once the playoffs started.  

Again, in hindsight there were mistakes made in how the Mav’s evaluated Brunson and handled the situation.  I also don’t think it helped that there was a pissed off father who told them they wouldn’t negotiate once the season started, later went back on that statement in January, and finally decided to play out the season once the TDL passed.  At that point, I believe the situation was misread & the damage was done.  

I always liked Brunson and felt like he didn’t get his due early on this site.  I will also admit that I NEVER in a million years saw him turning out like he has.  But let’s not act like we all saw this ultimate outcome.  There were valid questions still unanswered and we are paying the price for that misreading.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - HoosierDaddyKid - 05-01-2023

https://theathletic.com/4474477/2023/05/01/kyrie-irving-dallas-mavericks-free-agency/?source=nbatw

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - ItsGoTime - 05-01-2023

(05-01-2023, 11:51 AM)RDB Wrote: Randon thoughts:

Cuban
IMO, Cuban’s biggest problem is he is his own worst enemy.  He had a huge amount of success early in life in a world that rewards a hands on self determination, visionary views, and a blind faith in oneself.  The qualities that made him successful in the tech world are not going to be rewarded the same way in the basketball world.  

Couple that with things like the worship he gets from Shark Tank, his pharma business, movie star treatment, and even calls for presidential runs and it’s easy to see why he might have a permanent sugar high from drinking his own Kool-aid.  A good slice of humble pie could be the best thing for him.  The question will be does he have enough self awareness to know what he is eating.  Often the only way people with his success & personality type know how to handle adversity is to continue to double down.  

Brunson
There is no doubt that in hindsight, Dallas screwed the pooch.  This is not a defense of the Mav’s, they are the one’s who saw him every day and should have had the best gauge of his future potential.

However, there were plenty of folks on this site that questioned the price at which Brunson should be retained.  He looked underwhelming in the ‘21 postseason and basically looked like a high quality backup at that point.  All the way up to the TDL, there were still many folks suggesting he would be exposed once the playoffs started.  

Again, in hindsight there were mistakes made in how the Mav’s evaluated Brunson and handled the situation.  I also don’t think it helped that there was a pissed off father who told them they wouldn’t negotiate once the season started, later went back on that statement in January, and finally decided to play out the season once the TDL passed.  At that point, I believe the situation was misread & the damage was done.  

I always liked Brunson and felt like he didn’t get his due early on this site.  I will also admit that I NEVER in a million years saw him turning out like he has.  But let’s not act like we all saw this ultimate outcome.  There were valid questions still unanswered and we are paying the price for that misreading.
We’re not paid to do that job, nor did we see the years of practices with him. JKidd saw him for a training camp and was quoted as saying he’s gonna get paid. That’s all the time it took for him to realize. Get more talent evaluation and creative cap minds in the FO.

(05-01-2023, 12:41 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: We’re not paid to do that job, nor did we see the years of practices with him. JKidd saw him for a training camp and was quoted as saying he’s gonna get paid. That’s all the time it took for him to realize. Get more talent evaluation and creative cap minds in the FO.

Did you not read my first paragraph under Brunson or did you just feel the need to be a contrarian?  If you just read the post instead of immediately becoming defensive, you might see that I absolutely did not let the Mav’s off the hook for the decision.

The best and worst thing about the internet is that voiced opinions tend to become permanent records.  Selective memory after the fact doesn’t solve for that.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - RoyTarpleysGhost - 05-01-2023

Mavs: we need to surround Luka and Kyrie players that defend 

Also Mavs: interested in Middleton

Enamored with chasing big names.

(05-01-2023, 03:38 PM)RDB Wrote: Did you not read my first paragraph under Brunson or did you just feel the need to be a contrarian?  If you just read the post instead of immediately becoming defensive, you might see that I absolutely did not let the Mav’s off the hook for the decision.

The best and worst thing about the internet is that voiced opinions tend to become permanent records.  Selective memory after the fact doesn’t solve for that.
I read the whole thing and didn’t think any “however” or “but” needed to be used. You say you don’t let them off the hook but using those words does just that.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - omahen - 05-01-2023

Kirk on Twitter: "You know, considering I've heard that Middleton was the one who ended up being a key factor in Kidd finally getting ousted with the Bucks, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess he might not be super interested." / Twitter

(05-01-2023, 04:46 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I read the whole thing and didn’t think any “however” or “but” needed to be used. You say you don’t let them off the hook but using those words does just that.

OR…maybe I’m speaking about the incessant obsession about how much of an idiot Cuban is and how the Brunson situation is unforgivable when half the board had many of the same concerns.  It would be a fun exercise to go back and dredge up old posts from that time.

Now, re-read the post and see if it still triggers your sensitive feelings.  And I don’t know why I should be too concerned with what words you think I should use.  HOWEVER, if you are open to it, maybe I can DM you before my next post to run my words by you?

OR, maybe you know better than I what my intent was. 

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - DanSchwartzgan - 05-01-2023

(05-01-2023, 12:06 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: https://theathletic.com/4474477/2023/05/01/kyrie-irving-dallas-mavericks-free-agency/?source=nbatw

Seems most here have gravitated back to tired old Wood and Brunson positions as a response to this article.  What I found most interesting is the idea that Kyrie’s Max is basically double what we weren’t willing to pay Brunson.

OK, you are the smartest guy in the room and you are at the Kyrie resigning press conference.  $46.9mm severely limits your flexibility under the new CBA (which you’ve pointed out in typical SGITR fashion).  How do you answer the inevitable questions about paying double for Kyrie compared to Brunson and doing so with knowledge of the limitations of the new CBA?

Maybe the answer is you don’t.  I’ve said keeping Kyrie is my base assumption, but I’m still looking for options (see my latest in the roster thread involving Miami).  Isn’t the SGITR thing to do to trade Kyrie for more than you paid for him while adding youth, flexibility and defense?  Basically flipping him for greater value.  If you just bring back a different version of Brunson, you’ll always be answering question of “why didn’t you just keep Brunson”?  Seems a bigger change might be coming.  Us Smartest Guys on the Message Board (SGOTMB’s) might not agree with the SGITR that his idea is….you know…smart.  But, I’m kind of wondering what the “smart” pitch is if/when we get to the Kyrie resigning press conference.

(05-01-2023, 05:25 PM)RDB Wrote: OR…maybe I’m speaking about the incessant obsession about how much of an idiot Cuban is and how the Brunson situation is unforgivable when half the board had many of the same concerns.  It would be a fun exercise to go back and dredge up old posts from that time.

Now, re-read the post and see if it still triggers your sensitive feelings.  And I don’t know why I should be too concerned with what words you think I should use.  HOWEVER, if you are open to it, maybe I can DM you before my next post to run my words by you?

OR, maybe you know better than I what my intent was. 
Look my brother, I’m sorry I got you ramped up. 

I read what you said as you lumping the FO in with the couple posters that were ok with how things played out. They don’t deserve that IMO because of what I said (you did say that too as a part of a “however”). 

A few other posters (myself included) didn’t think JB was worth the probable max he was gonna need to turn his head from his mind already being made up on going to NY. On this team, JB would not do what he is doing for NY. I have yet to see anyone dispute that point.

Turns out he was much more vital to the team psyche than even a lot of the lamenters originally thought. If he is that guy, what the heck is the reason for all the “lockerroom” guys, the “culture” guys that we’ve paid and overpaid and who have been defended as such through the years? It’s the exclusive job of the FO to know that because we could not possibly know until something like this happens. They fed us a lie about those players and due to having no clue about it, many bought into the facade. 

Again, sorry for getting you upset about what I wrote, peace.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - Jmaciscool - 05-01-2023

(05-01-2023, 04:55 PM)omahen Wrote: Kirk on Twitter: "You know, considering I've heard that Middleton was the one who ended up being a key factor in Kidd finally getting ousted with the Bucks, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess he might not be super interested." / Twitter

If Middleton could do the same thing for the Mavs then I'd like to sign him.

(05-01-2023, 07:20 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: If Middleton could do the same thing for the Mavs then I'd like to sign him.
Such a chicken shiz Cuban thing to do. Bring in multiple people to oust the guy you don’t have the balls to do yourself.

Unfortunately Middleton will find himself in the Rosas tenure as he’s the first one.

(05-01-2023, 07:12 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Look my brother, I’m sorry I got you ramped up. 

I read what you said as you lumping the FO in with the couple posters that were ok with how things played out. They don’t deserve that IMO because of what I said (you did say that too as a part of a “however”). 

A few other posters (myself included) didn’t think JB was worth the probable max he was gonna need to turn his head from his mind already being made up on going to NY. On this team, JB would not do what he is doing for NY. I have yet to see anyone dispute that point.

Turns out he was much more vital to the team psyche than even a lot of the lamenters originally thought. If he is that guy, what the heck is the reason for all the “lockerroom” guys, the “culture” guys that we’ve paid and overpaid and who have been defended as such through the years? It’s the exclusive job of the FO to know that because we could not possibly know until something like this happens. They fed us a lie about those players and due to having no clue about it, many bought into the facade. 

Again, sorry for getting you upset about what I wrote, peace.

I appreciate it but I wasn’t upset.  I stopped letting sports or social media get under my skin a long time ago.  As a lurker, it does seem pointless and a waste of energy to keep rehashing certain topics over and over again.  Sometimes it feels like I accidentally clicked on CowboysZone.

I was actually trying to be tactful in pointing out some of the inconsistencies of opinions that keep getting dredged up.  I want to see improvement as much as the next guy.  While I often don’t agree with many of the decisions, it’s hard for me to have a strong negative opinion in hindsight when I shared many of the same concerns initially.  That doesn’t mean I let Dallas off the hook.  It just means I choose not to be hypocritical in hindsight.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - F Gump - 05-02-2023

(05-01-2023, 06:16 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Seems most here have gravitated back to tired old Wood and Brunson positions as a response to this article.  What I found most interesting is the idea that Kyrie’s Max is basically double what we weren’t willing to pay Brunson.

OK, you are the smartest guy in the room and you are at the Kyrie resigning press conference.  $46.9mm severely limits your flexibility under the new CBA (which you’ve pointed out in typical SGITR fashion).  How do you answer the inevitable questions about paying double for Kyrie compared to Brunson and doing so with knowledge of the limitations of the new CBA?

Maybe the answer is you don’t.  I’ve said keeping Kyrie is my base assumption, but I’m still looking for options (see my latest in the roster thread involving Miami).  Isn’t the SGITR thing to do to trade Kyrie for more than you paid for him while adding youth, flexibility and defense?  Basically flipping him for greater value.  If you just bring back a different version of Brunson, you’ll always be answering question of “why didn’t you just keep Brunson”?  Seems a bigger change might be coming.  Us Smartest Guys on the Message Board (SGOTMB’s) might not agree with the SGITR that his idea is….you know…smart.  But, I’m kind of wondering what the “smart” pitch is if/when we get to the Kyrie resigning press conference.

I agree with 100% of this ... flip Kyrie for a better result than they began with (DFS, SD, and unprotected 2029) ...but will argue that it has left out the most important point. Which is ....

Can they REALLY flip Kyrie for better assets than they began with (including the issue of whether the contracts are cap-efficient or not)? I'm skeptical. Part of that has to do with how hard I think the market will be to find a friendly deal (everyone will expect a lot and offer nothing), and the other part has to do with my lack of trust in Mavs ability to make a deal that really moves the needle in the right direction.

I did read your MIA idea, btw. Kinda liked it, kinda didn't. But think that even though I don't think that's better than what they traded to BKN, I think getting something that good is way beyond Cuban's ability. The idea they got Wood to trade him, and then had no clue how to make that happen, is indication enough that Cuban's FO has no clue how to roster-build around Luka.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - DanSchwartzgan - 05-02-2023

(05-02-2023, 02:28 AM)F Gump Wrote:  
Can they REALLY flip Kyrie for better assets than they began with (including the issue of whether the contracts are cap-efficient or not)? I'm skeptical.  

I did read your MIA idea, btw. Kinda liked it, kinda didn't. But think that even though I don't think that's better than what they traded to BKN, I think getting something that good is way beyond Cuban's ability.  

It started for me with the cryptic tweet from Demaris (inferring the Mav's offseason is tied to Miami).   It is easy for me to imagine Miami wanting to sub Kyrie for Lowry for the remainder of the Butler window.  I can also see Brooklyn wanting to send Kyrie west (requiring a two step process for Miami to get him back to the east).  Then it becomes a matter of price and timing.

I played around with some stuff Sunday night and then had to make amendments because I was trying to use the Bullock partial guarantee and had the timing wrong (sound familiar?).   I mention the timeline because last night I searched for Herro trade rumors to see how he was valued in Miami (since Miami is having playoff success without him right now).  I found several Herro/Lowry for Kyrie based rumors both last summer and at the TDL.  There was one really good article at the TDL that explained how a Kyrie/Mills for Herro/Lowry/Jovic deal would work with Herro's PP.  So, ideas like this are in the public domain if the SGITR can do a Google search Smile .

I tend to agree that the trade leaves me wanting a bit (maybe the sign of a balanced trade?).  The issues I have are:

1.  It doesn't solve the center situation.  Something else would need to be done.  Fortunately, Dallas (in the proposed deal) would have Miami's 23 pick (18th) and their own 27 pick to address this.  Whatever Lively becomes, he's not likely to be a playoff starter in year one.  So, Dallas would need to either use the TP MLE to get a center and draft Lively to develop or send the pick(s) out to bring in a more experienced center (Capela, Claxton et al...the usual suspects).

2.  I didn't intend to trade Hardy.  Unfortunately, given the need to make this pre 7/1, we just don't have many contracts to work with to hit the very specific dollar targets.  So, I settled on Kyrie, McGee and Hardy.  Moving McGee in this has value.  Maybe Hardy can go to a third team creating another asset for Dallas as his going to Miami feels like an overpay.  

3.  The draft compensation feels light compared to the unprotected 2029 we gave up.  Maybe Miami's unprotected 2027 would be more valuable than #18 in the upcoming draft.  Maybe it needs to be #18 to make up for Hardy's inclusion AND Miami's 2027 to compensate for the Dallas 2029.

I do like other elements of the deal compared to what we gave Brooklyn:

1.  Herro replaces Dinwiddie.  Herro is younger (with upside) and tied up for years where we were going to need to negotiate with Dinwiddie very soon.  I think that is a clear upgrade.

2.  Lowry is about done, but as a bench PG who holds down the spot for a year (and expires along with Bertans and Reggie), he has some value.  The Dallas cap sheet would clean up a ton a year from now.  I really like Wallace with #10 and a year of Lowry would better prepare Wallace to take over the backup PG role with a similar defensive ability to what Lowry used to provide.

3.  I think Jovic has a much brighter future than DFS.  I'm not anti-Dorian, but he showed a serious regression prior to being traded.  What he did was valuable, but I think we've seen peak Dorian.  Jovic is already a ton more skilled in a bigger body that is cost controlled.  You won't see this looking at stats.  You'll need to watch film of his better games (NBA and GLeague).  He might turn into Markkanen in the not too distant future.  We still have Maxi around to keep us from being too reliant on Jovic's inexperience.

Another interesting aspect of this (for me) is Herro and Jovic are both Excel clients.  Schwartz always seems to be entwined with Dallas in years Powell is a FA and has leveraged that to Powell's advantage.  To me, there is a lot that makes sense about all of this...especially if you think Dameris might have some inkling of what is coming.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - omahen - 05-02-2023

(05-01-2023, 06:16 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: OK, you are the smartest guy in the room and you are at the Kyrie resigning press conference.  $46.9mm severely limits your flexibility under the new CBA (which you’ve pointed out in typical SGITR fashion).  How do you answer the inevitable questions about paying double for Kyrie compared to Brunson and doing so with knowledge of the limitations of the new CBA?

Let me try to answer as the man who thinks is the smartest man in the room. We have seen plenty that comments from smartest man in the room aren't always really smart. 

We would offer Brunson much more money, but we were never given a chance. He wanted to be in NY, so there is really nothing to compare here. Irving is a top 10 player in the league and how would you put value on that? There is only 10 top players in the league, you can't really put value on that. Considering everything, one could say we underpaid.

Smile