MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - omahen - 04-27-2023

(04-27-2023, 02:27 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: All depends on how Nico handles anyone going over his head to MC.

I don't think he talks to them separately. It is his "circle of trust". I think they get together, he listens to everyone and then decide. But you are right, in a normal world it would be just Nico and Cuban.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - IamDougieFresh - 04-27-2023

(04-27-2023, 02:42 PM)omahen Wrote: I don't think he talks to them separately. It is his "circle of trust". I think they get together, he listens to everyone and then decide. But you are right, in a normal world it would be just Nico and Cuban.

It's all fun and games until Bob is making the pick instead of the GM.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - SleepingHero - 04-27-2023

(04-27-2023, 12:29 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: If nothing else we need someone who is a better negotiator.  

Donnie was awful. Nico not much better. Whether we are giving up more talent or taking back really bad contracts we seem to be the team always ponying up some extra picks. 

I said when the KP deal was made that there was no need to give up 2 first and just stay pat if the Knicks had refused. Then we send off KP who was the most talented player in that deal with the Wiz also desperate to move SD and Bertans and yet we give up a 2nd.  We then give up an unprotected first for Kyrie.  I am not even bringing up who negotiated what with Brunson. Even if you are 100% sure they would reject throw a 5 year 125 mill contract at him so that you can legit claim he turned you down. 

Poor negotiating skills. Almost like a child negotiating with adults. Poor PR skills in terms of at least making an offer for someone to reject. This FO desperately needs a strong GM.  I can guarantee that all other GMs are always ready to make a deal with the Mavs. They know a sucker when they see one.

I think with Cuban's recent comments it has all but confirmed that he is the one negotiating behind the scenes. Sure Nico is making the call, but I have no doubt that Cuban is sitting in the room listening in and telling Nico what to say.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - ItsGoTime - 04-27-2023

(04-27-2023, 02:42 PM)omahen Wrote: I don't think he talks to them separately. It is his "circle of trust". I think they get together, he listens to everyone and then decide. But you are right, in a normal world it would be just Nico and Cuban.
I think that was happening towards the end of Donnie’s tenure.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - hakeemfaan - 04-27-2023

(04-27-2023, 01:34 PM)Jym Wrote: I still feel like most people around here haven't accepted how horrible of a deal that truly was

I am ok if you needed to get rid of KP but the Wiz were desperate too. Plus their guys were overpaid and less talented. Yet we are the team throwing in a 2nd?  At that time I thought someone like Hachimura was an untouchable.  Yet the Lakers get him for Nunn who the Lakers didn’t even care about?  Meanwhile we get fleeced again?  Wth is going on?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - BoredAssistant - 04-27-2023

Jerry West needs a new challenge and the Clippers' future looks boring.  Kick the tires, write the check, and get out of the way.  Ignore that he doesn't want to leave CA nor leave Ballmer for this.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - ItsGoTime - 04-27-2023

I would also rather have a too many cooks in the kitchen scenario with everyone bouncing ideas off eachother and a revolving door so as to get fresh perspectives and not turn into a hive mind than continue with little to no input other than Mark’s and a bunch of yes men.

(04-27-2023, 03:59 PM)BoredAssistant Wrote: Jerry West needs a new challenge and the Clippers' future looks boring.  Kick the tires, write the check, and get out of the way.  Ignore that he doesn't want to leave CA nor leave Ballmer for this.
Wanted West for so long and wished Cuban would just money whip him!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - BoredAssistant - 04-27-2023

(04-27-2023, 04:05 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Wanted West for so long and wished Cuban would just money whip him!
Me too! Nico is smart and knows he would have maybe the greatest to ever do it to learn from and work with.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - SwisherPrice - 04-27-2023

I doubt Kidd would bring in an experienced HC to join his staff...especially if he actually wanted Kokoskov gone last year. I'm guessing he will bring in Joe Prunty

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - Chicagojk - 04-28-2023

(04-27-2023, 12:29 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: If nothing else we need someone who is a better negotiator.  

Donnie was awful. Nico not much better. Whether we are giving up more talent or taking back really bad contracts we seem to be the team always ponying up some extra picks. 

I said when the KP deal was made that there was no need to give up 2 first and just stay pat if the Knicks had refused. Then we send off KP who was the most talented player in that deal with the Wiz also desperate to move SD and Bertans and yet we give up a 2nd.  We then give up an unprotected first for Kyrie.  I am not even bringing up who negotiated what with Brunson. Even if you are 100% sure they would reject throw a 5 year 125 mill contract at him so that you can legit claim he turned you down. 

Poor negotiating skills. Almost like a child negotiating with adults. Poor PR skills in terms of at least making an offer for someone to reject. This FO desperately needs a strong GM.  I can guarantee that all other GMs are always ready to make a deal with the Mavs. They know a sucker when they see one.

Yes, this has always bothered me as well.

It also helps if you can negotiate in power and if you can evaluate talent correctly.   Mavs are always looking for that shiny move so they are typically negotiating with little leverage and they aren't very good evaluating talent.    Those are just killers.

The only way Dallas gets out of this (besides getting the #1 pick) is finding guys who can evaluate talent and giving the resources to do so.    Not every move will work, but throw stuff at the wall.    The more smart decisions you make, the more likelihood you will stumble on something really good.    If we keep #10, I think I will be in strong favor of keeping that pick.  That pick will not be a win now move but will be a great test to see if this team can make the hard decision at #10.  It could pay off huge in 2 years.     

This may be really small and there are much bigger things to worry about, but I will be really curious how aggressive they are with the 3 two way guys next year?  Do the Mavs do their thing where they move really slow and treat those spots as hinderances or do they move quickly and evaluate talent and secure a few of those spots?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - hakeemfaan - 04-29-2023

(04-28-2023, 03:45 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yes, this has always bothered me as well.

It also helps if you can negotiate in power and if you can evaluate talent correctly.   Mavs are always looking for that shiny move so they are typically negotiating with little leverage and they aren't very good evaluating talent.    Those are just killers.

The only way Dallas gets out of this (besides getting the #1 pick) is finding guys who can evaluate talent and giving the resources to do so.    Not every move will work, but throw stuff at the wall.    The more smart decisions you make, the more likelihood you will stumble on something really good.    If we keep #10, I think I will be in strong favor of keeping that pick.  That pick will not be a win now move but will be a great test to see if this team can make the hard decision at #10.  It could pay off huge in 2 years.     

This may be really small and there are much bigger things to worry about, but I will be really curious how aggressive they are with the 3 two way guys next year?  Do the Mavs do their thing where they move really slow and treat those spots as hinderances or do they move quickly and evaluate talent and secure a few of those spots?

You still have to be patient and have a plan. 

People used to mock the Knicks current management when KP asked out, but they have quietly built a solid team. They traded our when they could have selected Duren They trusted  Sims and Robinson and ended up with two FRPs. They held off on media pressure to go all in on Mitchell.  They gave up nothing for JB and quietly created space. 

That’s a team that is desperate with management on the hot seat. Yet they didn’t panic. That is all I am looking for. Results are never guaranteed but you have to do the right things and be judicious on when and for whom you go all in. The Mavs operate with no real plan. If any of us on this board go and negotiate a trade with the Mavs we might be able to fleece them. That has to change.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - DanSchwartzgan - 04-30-2023

From Stein regarding hiring of an experienced assistant coach:

[Image: 72.png] Former head coaches James Borrego (Magic and Hornets) and Jeff Hornacek (Suns and Knicks) are among the expected top targets for the opening Dallas has created on its bench to bolster Jason Kidd's coaching staff.

Frank Vogel would also be a natural target, given the close relationship he forged with Kidd in Los Angeles when Kidd served as an assistant to Vogel for two seasons with the Lakers, but it's believed that Vogel is currently focused on a return at the head coach level.

Borrego and Vogel both interviewed for the Houston coaching vacancy that went to Udoka.
Terry Stotts, who has a career record of 517-486 (.515) in head coaching stints in Milwaukee, Atlanta and Portland, is a former Mavericks assistant from Kidd’s second Maverick stint as a player who likewise could emerge as a Dallas candidate.

Stephen Silas, another former Mavericks assistant coach, is said to be sought by Boston as an assistant on Joe Mazzulla's staff for next season after Silas coached the Rockets for the past three seasons. Silas was in Boston recently to watch the Celtics’ Game 5 home defeat to Atlanta in the first round. …

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - SleepingHero - 04-30-2023

Borrego and Hornacek certainly don't have the winning pedigree I'm valuing, but if they were great coaches they wouldn't be looking for an assistants gig anyways...

Stotts would be a very interesting hire. He certainly knows how to run an NBA level offense.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - HoosierDaddyKid - 05-01-2023

(04-30-2023, 01:17 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: From Stein regarding hiring of an experienced assistant coach:

[Image: 72.png] Former head coaches James Borrego (Magic and Hornets) and Jeff Hornacek (Suns and Knicks) are among the expected top targets for the opening Dallas has created on its bench to bolster Jason Kidd's coaching staff.

Frank Vogel would also be a natural target, given the close relationship he forged with Kidd in Los Angeles when Kidd served as an assistant to Vogel for two seasons with the Lakers, but it's believed that Vogel is currently focused on a return at the head coach level.

Borrego and Vogel both interviewed for the Houston coaching vacancy that went to Udoka.
Terry Stotts, who has a career record of 517-486 (.515) in head coaching stints in Milwaukee, Atlanta and Portland, is a former Mavericks assistant from Kidd’s second Maverick stint as a player who likewise could emerge as a Dallas candidate.

Stephen Silas, another former Mavericks assistant coach, is said to be sought by Boston as an assistant on Joe Mazzulla's staff for next season after Silas coached the Rockets for the past three seasons. Silas was in Boston recently to watch the Celtics’ Game 5 home defeat to Atlanta in the first round. …

Mazzulla needs to replace Damon Stoudemire who left to be the Head Coach at Georgia Tech.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - Chicagojk - 05-01-2023

Portion from a depressing article fromCato today.  Some other nuggets in the article too.  Mavs had produced a video they hoped to show to Jalen in meeting.  LOL.  Kidd was the driving factor for McGee.

, Cuban once again claimed that the team was never provided an opportunity to negotiate with Brunson — something Cuban blamed on Brunson’s father, Rick, who was hired as an assistant coach for the Knicks in May 2022. Brunson’s agents, according to a team source, did inquire about the team’s planned offer in the days leading up to free agency, but Dallas declined to reveal its thinking, saying it would withhold that for the meeting the team ultimately never received.

————
If there’s any other glimmer of hope from the miserable season that was, it’s how clearly it exposed the team’s flaws, one team executive said in a late-season conversation. That another season, where the team had been luckier, might not have sparked such conviction in meaningful change.

“I saw this coming a long time ago,” one former team employee said, “but I didn’t expect it to be this bad.”

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - DanSchwartzgan - 05-01-2023

(05-01-2023, 06:05 AM)Chicagojk Wrote:  
If there’s any other glimmer of hope from the miserable season that was, it’s how clearly it exposed the team’s flaws, one team executive said in a late-season conversation. That another season, where the team had been luckier, might not have sparked such conviction in meaningful change.

“I saw this coming a long time ago,” one former team employee said, “but I didn’t expect it to be this bad.”

This is the silver lining of the season assuming they learn from their mistakes.

Edit:  If you change the font before you post what you've copied, all those extra words go away.  Same with bolded content.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - Mavs2021 - 05-01-2023

(05-01-2023, 06:05 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Portion from a depressing article fromCato today.  Some other nuggets in the article too.  Mavs had produced a video they hoped to show to Jalen in meeting.  LOL.  Kidd was the driving factor for McGee.

, Cuban once again claimed that the team was never provided an opportunity to negotiate with Brunson — something Cuban blamed on Brunson’s father, Rick, who was hired as an assistant coach for the Knicks in May 2022. Brunson’s agents, according to a team source, did inquire about the team’s planned offer in the days leading up to free agency, but Dallas declined to reveal its thinking, saying it would withhold that for the meeting the team ultimately never received.

————

Translation: We all know it, but Mark is a sensitive butthurt little flower, so if you confront him, you´ll get a kick in the Rosas, until they look Voulgaris.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - omahen - 05-01-2023

This paragraph from same article should also be noted. Mavs just didn't evaluate the importance and value of Brunson correctly. Even if they could make their offer, it would be lower than NY one.

In the end, it didn’t matter that the meeting never took place. As a league source close to Brunson said, “You always want to feel wanted.” Perhaps only Brunson knows to what extent Dallas’ hesitations to retain him — either by extension or by outbidding the Knicks, which Dallas reportedly did not plan to do even if given the opportunity — affected what was, at that point, his certainty that he would leave for New York.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - SleepingHero - 05-01-2023

https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/1653036762002862084?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - Mavs2021 - 05-01-2023

(05-01-2023, 09:08 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/1653036762002862084?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

So the plan is for the inferior Mavs front office to out-evaluate superior front offices starting from a point of information disadvantage. I see absolutely no way how this approach could fail. Big Grin Big Grin