MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - SleepingHero - 04-24-2023

(04-24-2023, 03:05 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: We need a mavsboard.com podcast with our most unhinged posters as hosts and everyone here is allowed to call in.

I would pay $5 a month to see this.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - F Gump - 04-25-2023

It sounds like GS is going to be the competition, not the partner, if you want to get D Green to Dallas.

"Green and the Warriors will have his future to work through in the offseason, with a $27.6 million player option providing several paths. League sources say the Warriors want to retain Green.... Several contenders across the league will value Green as a potential free agent in the offseason. "
- Shams Charania

https://theathletic.com/4443821/2023/04/24/draymond-green-jordan-poole-warriors-shams-interview/

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - IamDougieFresh - 04-26-2023

https://twitter.com/mavs_ffl/status/1651365938824896513?s=46&t=-lW3MUk_hy_SiUq46U-6RA

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - omahen - 04-27-2023

About time... Nothing against St.Jean, but every Mavs player move was a win now move while on the other hand they built FO and coaching staff as they are a rebuilding team with 5 years to develop personel. 

(3) Marc Stein on Twitter: "The Mavericks will soon begin a search for a veteran addition to Jason Kidd's coaching staff, league sources say, on top of adding Dennis Lindsey to the front office as a senior adviser to GM Nico Harrison. Recent coverage: https://t.co/uWV1UpKdsH More: https://t.co/A6ycVmnrjq" / Twitter

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - HoosierDaddyKid - 04-27-2023

Any relation to former coach Jerry St Jean?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - loki - 04-27-2023

Cuban: I thought you said McGee could be a starter?
Kidd: I'm not the savior here. I'm not signing free agents. I'm just watching.
Cuban: ...
Kidd: Look, no one is dying.
Cuban: Seriously?
Kidd: It was Greg's idea.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 04-27-2023

Well..

I guess St. Jean was the reason why the Mavs do not call timeouts at the right time, he was also the reason why Wood isn't getting any PT and the same guy who wanted DP and RB to play extended minutes. St. Jean was also the reason why Luka hero-ball (and lately Kyrie hero-ball) are the main plays. Speaking of plays, St. Jean was also responsible why the Mavs can't get a proper inbounds play at crucial moments of the game. This guy was also the same guy who never accepts faults and throws the team under the bus whenever he feels like it. He's just a pathetic excuse of a coach who's inept and arrogant.

Good call Mark.
JKidd has nothing to do with coaching, he just watches.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - Chicagojk - 04-27-2023

It is the rough side of the NBA.  When your team stinks, changes happen.   Sort of surprised this has been the only move so far.   Did they hire the Utah guy?  If not, why is it taking so long?  Better get him hired before the McGee part Deux summer target gets too far down the road.  

St. Jean may well be a fine coach, but I think a more veteran coach as a sounding board is needed.    I personally would like to see an offensive master brought in.   Or maybe one of the former coaches who have been fired over the past year or so.    Someone with experience and may need that year on the bench to get another head coaching job.   If Kidd is not going to be an X & O coach, they better have a really good, experienced assistant coach.

(04-27-2023, 06:07 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Any relation to former coach Jerry St Jean?

Garry St Jean is his father

(04-27-2023, 08:03 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Or maybe one of the former coaches who have been fired over the past year or so.    Someone with experience and may need that year on the bench to get another head coaching job.   If Kidd is not going to be an X & O coach, they better have a really good, experienced assistant coach.

All this moves are a very interesting dynamics. Nico was reportedly looking for an assistant for a long time (if true), while Kokoskov was allegedly gone because Kidd was affraid he might take his job. Not sure how Kidd could would be less affraid of whoever good they hire. 

So, is this Cuban taking more control because Nico and Kidd lost trust. Or did they figured that honeymoon is over and they have to get serious.

This is a very strange tweet by McMahon. As far as I know Luka loved Mosley and he certainly trusted Kokoskov. So not sure, why he is mentioned with this move.

(3) Tim MacMahon on Twitter: "This is the third consecutive summer that the first-row assistant who worked out Luka Doncic will leave Dallas. Greg St. Jean’s departure comes after Jamahl Mosley and Igor Koskoskov last two years." / Twitter

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - HoosierDaddyKid - 04-27-2023

(04-27-2023, 09:19 AM)omahen Wrote: Garry St Jean is his father

Thought so, thanks...

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - hakeemfaan - 04-27-2023

Cuban, for all his blather on Shark Tank, runs organizations like a mom pop business. He is too loyal, too scared to take the hard decisions, and also seems to worry about how his moves will be perceived by other NBA players and commentators. 

Kidd should be gone. Nico should be on the hot seat.  Everything else is rearranging the chairs on the Titanic.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - RoyTarpleysGhost - 04-27-2023

(04-27-2023, 09:24 AM)omahen Wrote: This is a very strange tweet by McMahon. As far as I know Luka loved Mosley and he certainly trusted Kokoskov. So not sure, why he is mentioned with this move.

(3) Tim MacMahon on Twitter: "This is the third consecutive summer that the first-row assistant who worked out Luka Doncic will leave Dallas. Greg St. Jean’s departure comes after Jamahl Mosley and Igor Koskoskov last two years." / Twitter

I think it's more of a "Mavs are dumb" than blaming Luka.  They let all his friends like Boban, Brunson, and DFS go.  They also let his three coaches he worked with personally go.

Was St Jean the "offensive coordinator" this year taking over for Igor?   If so, I have no problem with the firing and looking for a more experienced offensive coordinator.  (since we're apparently stuck with Kidd)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - ItsGoTime - 04-27-2023

(04-27-2023, 08:03 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: It is the rough side of the NBA.  When your team stinks, changes happen.   Sort of surprised this has been the only move so far.   Did they hire the Utah guy?  If not, why is it taking so long?  Better get him hired before the McGee part Deux summer target gets too far down the road.  
I haven’t seen the report that he was hired either, but have seen tweets talking as if a deal is done. I think it needs to be more than 1 guy. Especially considering the reports that we have the smallest front office.

A full scouting department would go a long way, along with a department of more than 1 salary cap guy (to bounce creativity ideas off of eachother). Having a seasoned guy in there to talk about smart negotiating tactics and ceilings and the like is a good start though.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - DallasMaverick - 04-27-2023

(04-27-2023, 11:11 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I haven’t seen the report that he was hired either, but have seen tweets talking as if a deal is done. I think it needs to be more than 1 guy. Especially considering the reports that we have the smallest front office.

A full scouting department would go a long way, along with a department of more than 1 salary cap guy (to bounce creativity ideas off of eachother). Having a seasoned guy in there to talk about smart negotiating tactics and ceilings and the like is a good start though.

So...

1. In a multitude of counselors there is wisdom, or..

2. Too many cooks spoil the broth?

Many, many arguments have been made on this forum that Cuban's consensus-building style yields poor results, and he should have a single point of accountability for all basketball, scouting, or personnel decisions.

Perhaps the uncertainty of whom to blame when something goes wrong weighs heavy on some of us...

...but it certainly leads to some interesting theories.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - hakeemfaan - 04-27-2023

If nothing else we need someone who is a better negotiator.  

Donnie was awful. Nico not much better. Whether we are giving up more talent or taking back really bad contracts we seem to be the team always ponying up some extra picks. 

I said when the KP deal was made that there was no need to give up 2 first and just stay pat if the Knicks had refused. Then we send off KP who was the most talented player in that deal with the Wiz also desperate to move SD and Bertans and yet we give up a 2nd.  We then give up an unprotected first for Kyrie.  I am not even bringing up who negotiated what with Brunson. Even if you are 100% sure they would reject throw a 5 year 125 mill contract at him so that you can legit claim he turned you down. 

Poor negotiating skills. Almost like a child negotiating with adults. Poor PR skills in terms of at least making an offer for someone to reject. This FO desperately needs a strong GM.  I can guarantee that all other GMs are always ready to make a deal with the Mavs. They know a sucker when they see one.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - Jym - 04-27-2023

(04-27-2023, 12:29 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Then we send off KP who was the most talented player in that deal with the Wiz also desperate to move SD and Bertans and yet we give up a 2nd

I still feel like most people around here haven't accepted how horrible of a deal that truly was

(04-27-2023, 11:23 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: So...

Many, many arguments have been made on this forum that Cuban's consensus-building style yields poor results, and he should have a single point of accountability for all basketball, scouting, or personnel decisions.

Perhaps the uncertainty of whom to blame when something goes wrong weighs heavy on some of us...

You have different things in here. Cuban seems to have a bunch of voices and he decides who he listens too. And often that someone seems to be below GM in the ranking (Parsons, Bob,...). Which means Cuban is the de facto GM and everyone else are just advisors. I don't think he was leading a consensus building style. He was yielding a "I am a GM and know best of all" type of leadership. 

Nothing wrong if someone surrounds himself with smart people, listen to their opinions and then decide. Smart people don't have a problem having smart advisors, best in business types. Smart people are not affraid someone will take his job, because they believe they are the best. Only weak people are affraid to surround themselves with best assistants. 

But, that someone should be able to really understand all the pros and cons of each move. To basically be a professional tasked to make best decisions. Cuban is not that. He is just an owner playing a GM. Part time involved in this business, as he is in thousand others. At the end he is the one signing the checks and he certainly has to approve all the moves. But, if an owner goes over GM head on several occasions, it means he doesn't trust that GM and a good GM would resign after a couple of that occasions. Because, if he ends up doing things he doesn't believe in, it means he is doing the job badly. Donnie didn't resign despite Cuban overruling him on several critical decisions, we know that for sure. We don't know about Nico, but we can assume, based on previous examples, that the story is similar. We can also have our doubts if Nico really is qualified enough to make best possible decision. Unfortunately so far, his track record is not really brilliant.

(04-27-2023, 10:43 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: St Jean

Now I wonder. Will Silas come back to his hive?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Greg St. Jean Fired - ItsGoTime - 04-27-2023

(04-27-2023, 11:23 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: So...

All depends on how Nico handles anyone going over his head to MC. If MC is only to be in the room to observe, Nico can retain his status of top dog. The moment MC feels the need to go to someone other than Nico to make a decision, that is the moment Nico should be fired.