MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - HoosierDaddyKid - 04-18-2023

(04-18-2023, 11:16 AM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Joe Ingles and Royce O’Neale were good undrafted finds on Lindsey’s watch. Definitely a mixed bag draft-wise. Traded up for Gobert with just cash essentially. Traded for Conley.

Jingles got his start with the Clippers then was waived. Jazz picked him up.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 04-18-2023

Oh yeah, I know. I still qualify Jingles as a “Jazz find” though because they signed and developed him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - Chicagojk - 04-18-2023

(04-18-2023, 09:10 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: The report says Nico has been looking for someone in this capacity for a year. I also haven’t seen anything about the guy saying he wants Nico’s job. A consultant job sounds like having a sit back and talk through the pros and cons on all the leg work Nico is doing, and getting paid well to do so. Pretty great retirement gig.

If he is gunning for the job, may the best man win honestly. Don’t really care how we get to contention, just want to get there.

Mavs just need more people who can evaluate talent.  It is sort of disappointing we are going on two years before a move like this is being looked into.

We will see if they can close the deal and if it will work out, but the Mavs clearly want to build around Luka and a resigned Kyrie.   If they keep their pick, they really need to identify and find a player like Royce O'Neal, Cam Johnson, DFS.  That would do wonders.   None were highly rated despite Johnson going higher than expected in the draft.   Those players are out there.   It may not be a one year process, but they need to find players like this.    It is more challenging with our lack of picks, but not impossible.

Lets say in two years we have:

Luka, Kyrie, Jaden, 3rd point in the backcourt

Josh Green, Cam Whitmore (or other draft pick), O'neal/Johnson caliber player and Maxi as your wings

That leaves the hole at center.   This team is not far off with a smart move or two.   Also factoring in Kyrie not going crazy and Luka not demanding a trade.  The Mavs can't screw around any more though.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - Chicagojk - 04-18-2023

(04-17-2023, 05:27 PM)chaparral Wrote: A special assistant to Nico sounds a way better than a special assistant to Cuban.

Some Jazz draft picks in the past.

2013 - # 9 Trey Burke and # 27 Rudy Gobert

2014 - # 5 Dante Exum and # 23 Rodney Hood

2015 - # 12 Trey Lyles

2016 - # 13 Donovan Mitchel and # 28 Tony Bradley

2018 - # 21 Grayson Allen

I can't put too much blame on him for Exum.  I really liked him.  He just got hurt and was never really the same player again.   Hood also got hurt, but he stuck around for a while as a late first.

I really liked Trey Lyles.  I actually thought he was a comparable talent to Booker.  oops.   He is a solid role player now though.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - HoosierDaddyKid - 04-18-2023

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2023/04/18/american-airlines-center-in-dallas-getting-major-upgrades-new-video-boards-seats/

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - SleepingHero - 04-18-2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C-IzHyVGUo

I feel like this guy read this board before he made this video

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - SkenfromLMF - 04-18-2023

Kinda Looks like Devin Harris if he had acting skills...

TRY NOT LOSING TO THE HORNETS TWICE!!!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - SleepingHero - 04-19-2023

Terrance Mann is a guy I think the Mavs should target.

Duffy is his agent. Point of attack defender with offensive capabilities. Balmer's pocket knows no bounds, but on the off chance it isn't, he might've priced himself out of LAC.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - omahen - 04-19-2023

(04-19-2023, 12:20 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Terrance Mann is a guy I think the Mavs should target.

Duffy is his agent. Point of attack defender with offensive capabilities. Balmer's pocket knows no bounds, but on the off chance it isn't, he might've priced himself out of LAC.

Mann already signed new deal with Clippers. He has contract for two more seasons.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - Chicagojk - 04-19-2023

I enjoy listening to Cato’s podcast and Locked on Mavericks podcast.  Tonight I listed to take dat wit you which is Followell and Dameris podcast.  I thought it was excellent about the Mavs heading into the off-season.  Really stresses how much of a delicate balance they have and mistakes can’t be made.  It is going to be real tricky trying to land this thing.

Dameris is in favor of trading the pick while Followell is more interested keeping it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 04-19-2023

If the Mavs get the first pick, they should get VW. This shouldn't even be up for debate.
Unless Luka levels up everything he has (defense, attitude, maturity, conditioning), VW would overtake him as the Mavs franchise player by year 3.

If the Mavs know with certainty, they're going to lose Kyrie and they have the 2nd pick, the best possible way to use the pick is get Scoot.
But I wouldn't be opposed to a trade down, on one condition -- the target of the trade down must be another lottery PG. 
Scoot for any of Wallace/Black/Jalen Hood-Schifino + Proven player + Future first + young prospect/project.

Now if there's indication that Kyrie stays, the target should be Hendricks.
If the Mavs get the number 2 pick, trade down for Hendricks and get a future first with him.

If the Mavs land at 10, and Hendricks isn't available, I'm all for a trade down. Let me repeat. A trade down and NOT entirely trading out of the first round.
Although the Mavs can get proven players in exchange for pick 10, they still need a bit of luck. A pick in the late teens would always give the franchise and its fans some hope, and this team needs fans to be hopeful.

The Mavs can get another Josh Howard by keeping a pick, instead of settling for Nick Claxton and spares. (Josh was at 29th but I'm hopeful any trade down doesn't go beyond pick 20).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - SleepingHero - 04-20-2023

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1649063428143603714?s=20

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - SwisherPrice - 04-20-2023

Pinson is talking like he already knows he will be back himself. Now it's just a matter of how big a contract they give him. His agent can probably sucker the Mavs into raising the price simply by being one of Kyrie's friends on the team

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - DallasMaverick - 04-20-2023

(04-20-2023, 01:11 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Pinson is talking like he already knows he will be back himself. Now it's just a matter of how big a contract they give him. His agent can probably sucker the Mavs into raising the price simply by being one of Kyrie's friends on the team

Vet min is a pretty good living for most of us.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - ItsGoTime - 04-20-2023

(04-20-2023, 01:16 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Vet min is a pretty good living for most of us.
Plus we’ll throw in lifetime season tickets…to the Stars (higher value due to Cuban’s ownership)! But wait, there’s more! Act now and we’ll throw in a replica globe of the flat earth. That’s not all! If you sign on the dotted line, you’ll get a totally free COVID vaccine shot, (coupon good for you AND your family).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - SleepingHero - 04-20-2023

(04-20-2023, 01:16 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Vet min is a pretty good living for most of us.

More like never have to work again type of living. 2 million a year to just cheerlead is a pretty good life.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - DanSchwartzgan - 04-21-2023

(04-19-2023, 09:17 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Tonight I listed to take dat wit you which is Followell and Dameris podcast.  I thought it was excellent about the Mavs heading into the off-season.  Really stresses how much of a delicate balance they have and mistakes can’t be made.  It is going to be real tricky trying to land this thing.

Dameris is in favor of trading the pick while Followell is more interested keeping it.

Thanks for the recommendation.  Besides the pick debate you outline, here are the things I thought stood out.

1. Not trading Green or Hardy.

2. Not putting assets toward a third PG.  See #1, they would like to develop Green and Hardy as people who can "run" the offense, not just get us into the offense.

3. I didn't get the impression either would spend assets on someone like OG.  Instead, they'd try to bring waves of 3&D.  With two ball dominant scorers who are also good passers, a wing who can also score isn't a priority.  

4.  Powell stays on a "team friendly" deal.  Wood is gone.

5.  Scour heaven and earth for young inexpensive guys with upside.  Aminu was the example...both hope they found that in Lawson.  They also want high character vets who are great locker room guys.

6.  Kyrie stays.  Guess is 3 years a full max.  

7.  This was the biggie.  They couldn't be more clear in describing Draymond Green in the strategy they would pursue in looking for the big move.  Someone who can opt into a PO, be traded and then be extended.  Green and Middleton are really the only names their description could apply to.

#7 makes sense.  Non-FA's (like Anunoby) cost more than FA's.  If you give Irving his full max, you are at the first apron and you can't S&T for someone.  Door number 3 is someone like Green.  There is a rule change in the new CBA that helps make this easier to pull off.  Green's extension (starts in 24/25 if he accepts the PO for next season) can get a 40% bump instead of the old 20% bump.  So, he'd be able to get something over $38mm to start.  Dallas needs to come up with about $20.5mm in outgoing salary to make this happen.

One thing about trading for Draymond, it takes some of the pressure off of the level of C that you need.  Green is going to get a portion of his minutes at C and under the Damer-owell plan, you still have Powell, Maxi and maybe McGee.  So, your center could be a TP MLE guy or a trade, but it doesn't have to be a star.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - omahen - 04-21-2023

(04-21-2023, 07:54 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: One thing about trading for Draymond, it takes some of the pressure off of the level of C that you need.  Green is going to get a portion of his minutes at C and under the Damer-owell plan, you still have Powell, Maxi and maybe McGee.  So, your center could be a TP MLE guy or a trade, but it doesn't have to be a star.

This is interesting part. I don't think they are one guy away, I think they need two starter level types. But on the other hand, our centers could look much better with a good PF like Green next to them. Stop playing Powell or Maxi in drop coverage, just switch everything, and you have a good PF to help under the basket after the switch.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - Chicagojk - 04-21-2023

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1649458070077014016

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - Ghost of Podkolzin - 04-21-2023

(04-21-2023, 07:54 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Thanks for the recommendation.  Besides the pick debate you outline, here are the things I thought stood out.

1. Not trading Green or Hardy.

2. Not putting assets toward a third PG.  See #1, they would like to develop Green and Hardy as people who can "run" the offense, not just get us into the offense.

3. I didn't get the impression either would spend assets on someone like OG.  Instead, they'd try to bring waves of 3&D.  With two ball dominant scorers who are also good passers, a wing who can also score isn't a priority.  

4.  Powell stays on a "team friendly" deal.  Wood is gone.

5.  Scour heaven and earth for young inexpensive guys with upside.  Aminu was the example...both hope they found that in Lawson.  They also want high character vets who are great locker room guys.

6.  Kyrie stays.  Guess is 3 years a full max.  

7.  This was the biggie.  They couldn't be more clear in describing Draymond Green in the strategy they would pursue in looking for the big move.  Someone who can opt into a PO, be traded and then be extended.  Green and Middleton are really the only names their description could apply to.

#7 makes sense.  Non-FA's (like Anunoby) cost more than FA's.  If you give Irving his full max, you are at the first apron and you can't S&T for someone.  Door number 3 is someone like Green.  There is a rule change in the new CBA that helps make this easier to pull off.  Green's extension (starts in 24/25 if he accepts the PO for next season) can get a 40% bump instead of the old 20% bump.  So, he'd be able to get something over $38mm to start.  Dallas needs to come up with about $20.5mm in outgoing salary to make this happen.

One thing about trading for Draymond, it takes some of the pressure off of the level of C that you need.  Green is going to get a portion of his minutes at C and under the Damer-owell plan, you still have Powell, Maxi and maybe McGee.  So, your center could be a TP MLE guy or a trade, but it doesn't have to be a star.

Why on Earth would we let Wood go?  As a starter in 17 games he averaged 20.4pts, 9.4rbs, 2.2asts, and 2.3blks in 33.1mins.  Take those 33mins and make him 6th man.  Those numbers will go up vs reserves.  Wood would win 6th man on this team, if given the position and the minutes.  His offensive versatility is absolutely perfect to bring him for the starting C, PF, or SF.