MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Cuban: Kidd absolutely the coach next season| 3 game losing streak - omahen - 04-11-2023

Another gem. So if defense fell apart with basically same roster (unless you think Brunson was the defensive anchor), is it perhaps the scheme? Or Mavs just didn't see 30+ year old players could regress?

(1) Mavs Film Room ?? on Twitter: "That’s that brutal Nico Harrison honesty right there lol He’s right" / Twitter

Oh, really? Last offseason really gives us confidence in this statement.

(1) Mike Leslie on Twitter: "Nico Harrison: “To fans that are frustrated, they should be frustrated. This year was not acceptable… I feel for them, and the only confidence I can give them is we’re going to evaluate everything, and we’re not going to be in this position again.”" / Twitter

RE: MAVS NEWS: Cuban: Kidd absolutely the coach next season| 3 game losing streak - cow - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 05:08 PM)omahen Wrote: Another gem. So if defense fell apart with basically same roster (unless you think Brunson was the defensive anchor), is it perhaps the scheme? Or Mavs just didn't see 30+ year old players could regress?

(1) Mavs Film Room ?? on Twitter: "That’s that brutal Nico Harrison honesty right there lol He’s right" / Twitter

Oh, really? Last offseason really gives us confidence in this statement.

(1) Mike Leslie on Twitter: "Nico Harrison: “To fans that are frustrated, they should be frustrated. This year was not acceptable… I feel for them, and the only confidence I can give them is we’re going to evaluate everything, and we’re not going to be in this position again.”" / Twitter

There are a lot of factors to the defense falling apart.

-Dorian and Maxi being hurt for part of the season.
-Jalen being gone meant that other people had to fill his minutes and scoring role who might be worse defenders than Jalen.
-The McGee/Wood experiment failing spectacularly.  
-Bullock falling off a cliff.
-Kidd
-Luka not giving a shit on the defensive end for large chunks of the season.

Nico's comments are absurd about Dorian.  Yes, they were terrible on defense last year but they are further away from being a good defense now that Dorian is gone.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Cuban: Kidd absolutely the coach next season| 3 game losing streak - SleepingHero - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 05:50 PM)cow Wrote: Nico's comments are absurd about Dorian.  Yes, they were terrible on defense last year but they are further away from being a good defense now that Dorian is gone.

Yeah I have no clue why Doe of all people got called out, if at all.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Cuban: Kidd absolutely the coach next season| 3 game losing streak - The Jom - 04-11-2023

That’s not calling out Dorian. That’s defending the trade. The reason we sucked on D wasn’t that we traded away our best defender. We already sucked defensively with our best defender. He’s right, and Dorian is awesome.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Cuban: Kidd absolutely the coach next season| 3 game losing streak - HoosierDaddyKid - 04-14-2023

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpears/status/1646917663636217856

RE: MAVS NEWS: Cuban: Kidd absolutely the coach next season| 3 game losing streak - ItsGoTime - 04-14-2023

Still hypocritical to fine 1 team for doing it when you know others are too.

Same with the tampering rule.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Cuban: Kidd absolutely the coach next season| 3 game losing streak - cow - 04-14-2023

(04-14-2023, 12:39 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Still hypocritical to fine 1 team for doing it when you know others are too.

Knowing a team is doing it and an idiot coach admitting to the media that the team is doing it are two different things.  Plausible deniability.  Cuban deserves all the idiot tax coming his way.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Cuban: Kidd absolutely the coach next season| 3 game losing streak - Jym - 04-14-2023

(04-14-2023, 12:39 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Still hypocritical to fine 1 team for doing it when you know others are too.

Well it just comes back to Kidd being an idiot
All actions could have been the same but if Kidd did not outright admit to it being a management decision, there would not have been a fine

RE: MAVS NEWS: Cuban: Kidd absolutely the coach next season| 3 game losing streak - ItsGoTime - 04-14-2023

I’m well aware that the league turns a blind eye until it’s shoved in their face. Still doesn’t make it right. Kidd is and was absolutely an idiot for many more reasons than this isolated issue, same with Cuban. That is besides the fact that an investigation of all the bottom teams would reveal the same finable offense.

And an investigation into all teams that sign FAs in the offseason would reveal the Mavs are the only team that shouldn’t be fined for tampering…shame on them!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Cuban: Kidd absolutely the coach next season| 3 game losing streak - cow - 04-14-2023

(04-14-2023, 01:23 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I’m well aware that the league turns a blind eye until it’s shoved in their face. Still doesn’t make it right. Kidd is and was absolutely an idiot for many more reasons than this isolated issue, same with Cuban. That is besides the fact that an investigation of all the bottom teams would reveal the same finable offense.

And an investigation into all teams that sign FAs in the offseason would reveal the Mavs are the only team that shouldn’t be fined for tampering…shame on them!

You aren't wrong but even these types of fines wouldn't dissuade teams from chances at Wemby-like opportunities.

(04-14-2023, 01:34 PM)cow Wrote: You aren't wrong but even these types of fines wouldn't dissuade teams from chances at Wemby-like opportunities.
For sure. I also feel like if it wasn’t Kidd saying it, it would’ve been Cuban. Peas in a pod those two.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Cuban: Kidd absolutely the coach next season| 3 game losing streak - SleepingHero - 04-14-2023

https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/1646903979110981632?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

Kidd isn't going anywhere folks ;(

RE: MAVS NEWS: Cuban: Kidd absolutely the coach next season| 3 game losing streak - omahen - 04-15-2023

(04-14-2023, 04:44 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/1646903979110981632?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

Kidd isn't going anywhere folks ;(

That's why JJ Barea, Bobi, Mejri and other friends of Luka all still wear Mavs jerseys Smile

This is not me saying Kidd is gone. Kidd will most likely stay.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Cuban: Kidd absolutely the coach next season| 3 game losing streak - Chicagojk - 04-17-2023

How many weeks has it been since Cuban's comments before the Sacramento game?  It still pisses me off when I think about it.   It is either a giant FU to the fans and/or delirious thinking by the main decision maker who will need to take us out of this mess.   Maybe you can think he was just trying to take heat off Nico and Kidd, but there were answers to questions that he could have given without makin him look petty and/or incompetant.   I am glad we saw though.   Eliminate any doubt things are being run any differently there.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Cuban: Kidd absolutely the coach next season| 3 game losing streak - DanSchwartzgan - 04-17-2023

From Stein:

League sources tell The Stein Line that the Mavericks, fresh off plummeting from the Western Conference finals into the lottery, are in advanced discussions to hire former Utah Jazz lead decision-maker Dennis Lindsey to join the organization as a special assistant to general manager Nico Harrison.

Dallas’ front office is headed by Harrison and assistant general manager and former Mavericks All-Star guard Michael Finley — with the longstanding involvement, as seen since he bought the franchise in January 2000, from Mavericks owner Mark Cuban. Harrison’s most recent two hires came from the Brooklyn Nets: Senior director of pro personnel Matt Riccardi and senior director of salary cap and strategy Andrew Baker.

Sources say Harrison has been looking for an experienced sounding-board voice to join the Mavericks in a consultant’s role dating to last offseason. This is a pivotal summer in Dallas, with the Mavericks not only faced with trying to re-sign Kyrie Irving in free agency but addressing well-chronicled concerns about its interior and wing defense and rebounding despite limited trade assets or salary-cap flexibility to make moves.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Cuban: Kidd absolutely the coach next season| 3 game losing streak - omahen - 04-17-2023

(04-17-2023, 04:24 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: From Stein:

League sources tell The Stein Line that the Mavericks, fresh off plummeting from the Western Conference finals into the lottery, are in advanced discussions to hire former Utah Jazz lead decision-maker Dennis Lindsey to join the organization as a special assistant to general manager Nico Harrison.

Dallas’ front office is headed by Harrison and assistant general manager and former Mavericks All-Star guard Michael Finley — with the longstanding involvement, as seen since he bought the franchise in January 2000, from Mavericks owner Mark Cuban. Harrison’s most recent two hires came from the Brooklyn Nets: Senior director of pro personnel Matt Riccardi and senior director of salary cap and strategy Andrew Baker.

Sources say Harrison has been looking for an experienced sounding-board voice to join the Mavericks in a consultant’s role dating to last offseason. This is a pivotal summer in Dallas, with the Mavericks not only faced with trying to re-sign Kyrie Irving in free agency but addressing well-chronicled concerns about its interior and wing defense and rebounding despite limited trade assets or salary-cap flexibility to make moves.

Finally. I think he is a very respected figure around the league.

I stumbled accross this today and I remember Hollinger writing about "no depth" in the Mavs FO when they parted with Donnie. 

[/url][url=https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1648063395126562822]
(1) Mavs Film Room ?? on Twitter: ".@EricPincus shared some great insight into his perceived weaknesses of the Mavs’ front office: There isn’t enough healthy disagreement or collaboration because the FO is smaller than other teams’. Apple: https://t.co/UqH3vjfv97 Spotify: https://t.co/6afpY3YQ0D ??? https://t.co/PH8HEU4bHF" / Twitter

Also of note - what is with Mavs and NY? Not only the two FO signings came from BKN. It was also the Kyrie trade. And KP for SD as a former BKN guy (do you still remember big words Cuban used when they made the move and how they discussed it in NY). Most of the other players that came in latetly were playing in NY (THJ, FN, Bullock, Pinson). Is NY the only town Cuban is doing business with? Smile

RE: MAVS NEWS: Cuban: Kidd absolutely the coach next season| 3 game losing streak - DanSchwartzgan - 04-17-2023

(04-17-2023, 04:32 PM)omahen Wrote:  

Also of note - what is with Mavs and NY? Not only the two FO signings came from BKN. It was also the Kyrie trade. And KP for SD as a former BKN guy (do you still remember big words Cuban used when they made the move and how they discussed it in NY). Most of the other players that came in latetly were playing in NY (THJ, FN, Bullock, Pinson). Is NY the only town Cuban is doing business with? Smile

Houston (Wood trade).  It is a relationship business baby.  Apparently Cuban's relationships are limited.  I doubt we do anything new with the Knicks for awhile.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Cuban: Kidd absolutely the coach next season| 3 game losing streak - HoosierDaddyKid - 04-17-2023

(04-17-2023, 04:35 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Houston (Wood trade).  It is a relationship business baby.  Apparently Cuban's relationships are limited.  I doubt we do anything new with the Knicks for awhile.

"Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on you"

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - sterlingmallory - 04-17-2023

Love the updated thread title

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs in discussions to hire Dennis Lindsay as Ass. GM - SleepingHero - 04-17-2023

(04-17-2023, 04:52 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Love the updated thread title

I try : )

Hopefully this is a real hire and not a Rosas situation all over again. I gotta check out Lindsay.