MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | Hardy to sign 3-yr deal (to be RFA) - mvossman - 07-06-2022

(07-06-2022, 01:15 PM)F Gump Wrote: Probably. It also was what was negotiated, so it had to do with what his agent wanted too, and it was mixed with their analysis of what they expected they would have to do when it came to re-sign him and how it would be most advantageous. They gambled on "wait as long as possible before we have to decide on a new deal" and lost.

The 3-year deal is no guarantee. Or a 3-year with an option, Parsons signed that deal with HOU and got away, because it got too rich for their blood. So they only got him for 3 years not 4. RFA is only an opportunity, not a guarantee -- and if we think about it, if the Mavs could have matched the Knicks offer, they apparently wouldn't have, given that the DAL offers were significantly less, so JB would have left anyhow.

Yes, it could have been worse.  For all the complaining that we should have done the contract to make him an RFA last offseason, The Nicks probably offer something more than his max extension (which we never offered) but less than what he is making now and we let him walk (just like this offseason).  In that scenario, the Nicks get a great deal on Brunson, have him a year earlier, and we probably don't go to WCS (or even make it out of the first round).

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | Hardy to sign 3-yr deal - Kammrath - 07-07-2022

https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/status/1545015381416370176

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | Hardy to sign 3-yr deal - Kammrath - 07-07-2022

https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/status/1545013574694846467

RE: Tyler Dorsey

• Height w/o shoes: 6' 3"
  • Wingspan: 6' 5.25" (!!)
  • Excellent athlete with good testing numbers.
  • Shot 39.7% from three the last three season in Europe.
  • Averaged 18.9 pts, 2.9 ast, 4.2 rbd, 1.1 stl, 2.8 TO per 36 mins the last three seasons .

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | Hardy to sign 3-yr deal - dirkfansince1998 - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 07:12 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Averaged 18.9 pts, 2.9 ast, 4.2 rbd, 1.1 stl, 2.8 TO the last three seasons.

Per36?

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | Hardy to sign 3-yr deal - Chicagojk - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 07:12 AM)Kammrath Wrote: RE: Tyler Dorsey

• Height w/o shoes: 6' 3"
  • Wingspan: 6' 5.25" (!!)
  • Excellent athlete with good testing numbers.
  • Shot 39.7% from three the last three season in Europe.
  • Averaged 18.9 pts, 2.9 ast, 4.2 rbd, 1.1 stl, 2.8 TO the last three seasons.

Where are you seeing 18.9?  I am seeing 10 or 11 per game.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | Hardy to sign 3-yr deal - Chicagojk - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 07:04 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/status/1545013574694846467

You are not bringing him back to the states to play in the G-league, I don't believe.  I also don't think you would bring back a player his age and the overseas options he has to be your 12th man.   

I would think the role for him is 9th-10th man shooter off the bench.   The issue is Dallas has Josh, Frankie and Hardy sort of in those slots.  And Hardaway will soak up a large # of the backcourt minutes.

Now maybe you can say he fits better than either Josh or Frankie.   I don't know enough him to weigh in.   With the roster as is today, it doesn't make a ton of sense.  Maybe the picture will be more clear over the next few weeks.

Edited! Forgot to add per 36 mins!

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1545037530579570688

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | Hardy to sign 3-yr deal - KillerLeft - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 07:04 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/status/1545013574694846467

https://twitter.com/KirkSeriousFace/status/1545013356414865408?s=20&t=iconE1aWN5TlRONAeKXP1Q

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | Hardy to sign 3-yr deal - mvossman - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 09:17 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://twitter.com/KirkSeriousFace/status/1545013356414865408?s=20&t=iconE1aWN5TlRONAeKXP1Q

Its interesting to me how there was a ton of praising for Nico after the Wood trade, but since then as the offseason has unraveled into complete disaster, there has not been a single mention of him.  I think folks were so hopeful that Nico would turn this FO around, but if you take a step back and look at things from a distance, it was always unlikely that they were going to be able to fix a dysfunctional FO with an over meddling owner by hiring somebody with zero NBA experience.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | Hardy to sign 3-yr deal - KillerLeft - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 09:23 AM)mvossman Wrote: Its interesting to me how there was a ton of praising for Nico after the Wood trade, but since then as the offseason has unraveled into complete disaster, there has not been a single mention of him.  I think folks were so hopeful that Nico would turn this FO around, but if you take a step back and look at things from a distance, it was always unlikely that they were going to be able to fix a dysfunctional FO with an over meddling owner by hiring somebody with zero NBA experience.

I don't know that this is fair...it might be, but then again, there absolutely IS a set of financial parameters in place, and I'm not talking about only what the rules will/won't allow. I'm talking about a set of "what Cuban is willing to do" rules concerning spending. We don't know exactly what they are, and I'm sure they're contingent on opportunity value (in Cuban's judgement) to a certain extent, but it's clear these rules exist. 

Knowing that, maybe Dorsey is the best option? I'm going to try to give the kid a chance. As @"Chicagojk" mentioned, I don't see him turning down good contract offers from multiple European teams for an NBA two-way at 26. Even those European jobs (the ones from reputable clubs who actually pay what they promise) are kind of hard to get, from what I can tell.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | Hardy to sign 3-yr deal - Winter - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 09:30 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't know that this is fair...it might be, but then again, there absolutely IS a set of financial parameters in place, and I'm not talking about only what the rules will/won't allow. I'm talking about a set of "what Cuban is willing to do" rules concerning spending. We don't know exactly what they are, and I'm sure they're contingent on opportunity value (in Cuban's judgement) to a certain extent, but it's clear these rules exist. 

If people didn't complain, the board would likely go dead. 

But the only logical answer to the present mess is to wait until the Mavericks say they're finished, and then have an opinion. I mean they could be working a S&T or a player-for-player trade, but until we hear from the FO, we won't know.

My exception to this rule is the Jason Brunson swing-and-miss. That's clearly an unforced error, and they should be smacked around for it.

(07-07-2022, 09:40 AM)Winter Wrote: But the only logical answer to the present mess is to wait until the Mavericks say they're finished, and then have an opinion. I mean they could be working a S&T or a player-for-player trade, but until we hear from the FO, we won't know.

Sure, that's logical. But, then again, we all came to talk Mavs, and waiting isn't really very fun.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | Hardy to sign 3-yr deal - Winter - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 09:44 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Sure, that's logical. But, then again, we all came to talk Mavs, and waiting isn't really very fun.

No it's not. 

I have a twitch in one eye. And I may be getting a rash.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | Hardy to sign 3-yr deal - Jommybone - 07-07-2022

Wing depth: 

Doe-Doe, Reg, Timmy, Josh, Frank, Tyler, Theo. Can’t believe they’re all hear come November.

(07-07-2022, 09:59 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Wing depth: 

Doe-Doe, Reg, Timmy, Josh, Frank, Tyler, Theo. Can’t believe they’re all hear come November.

Can't be.....and really Frank, Josh and Tyler aren't really even wings.  They can play a little there.  I view Wings as 6'7 to 6'9 guys.    And Theo probably can't be counted on to help on the floor besides a few spot minutes.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | Hardy to sign 3-yr deal - ItsGoTime - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 10:05 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Can't be.....and really Frank, Josh and Tyler aren't really even wings.  They can play a little there.  I view Wings as 6'7 to 6'9 guys.    And Theo probably can't be counted on to help on the floor besides a few spot minutes.
Interesting that you say their names with THJ on the list too. To me, Green is the most wing-y of that group. The others are pure SGs or Gs.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | Hardy to sign 3-yr deal - Jommybone - 07-07-2022

Huh. When I was playing (80s & early 90s), traditional lineups were 2 guards, 2 forwards, 1 center. And modern lineups were 1 point, 2 wings, 2 posts. So “wing” has a different meaning in my mind.

(07-07-2022, 10:18 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Interesting that you say their names with THJ on the list too. To me, Green is yhe most wing-y of that group. The others are pure SGs or Gs.

I have learned over the past year that there's a huge discrepancy in this community about just how terms like "wing," and "positionless basketball" are used and understood. I believe these concepts are thought to make communication easier around here, but I've noticed that they're actually the cause of quite a bit of misunderstanding. 

For example, when I think "wing" I absolutely include the 2 (off-guard) with that brush. In fact, from a traditional basketball perspective, I think that term used to mean players whose positions were 2 or 3. I believe many people include the 4 in that blanket these days, too. But, that gets confusing, I think, because Kleber (just an example) can certainly play the 4, but I wouldn't really consider him a "wing." Sure, having a wing big enough to man the 4 full time (thinking Durant, as an example) is a huge advantage nowadays, but I think the distinguishing characteristics are what the player brings to the position, not necessarily that the term can be used to describe any player not playing the 1 or the 5. 

I think "positionless basketball" is the most abused idea of all though. Its meaning seems to have been distorted so much by the talking heads in the media (most of whom don't really understand basketball) that we're all just pretending there aren't positions anymore. There are, of course, because each player on the court must know what position they're playing in order to know what their role is in the offensive/defensive systems. I think the term is meant to allow us to view the mix of players on the court as a mix of skills, not positions, but to me, it's an overused and misunderstood term. 

Back to your point: I agree Green is a wing. I think THJ is, too. I also agree that Ntilikina looks like a guard and has guard in his history, but the Mavs seem to be grooming him to play wing in this system, at least to me. I think his chance to handle the ball ended with his opportunity in NY.

(07-07-2022, 10:26 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Huh. When I was playing (80s & early 90s), traditional lineups were 2 guards, 2 forwards, 1 center. And modern lineups were 1 point, 2 wings, 2 posts. So “wing” has a different meaning in my mind.

Yes, I agree. "Wing" derives from a place on the court, as does "posts."