MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - HoosierDaddyKid - 03-11-2023

(03-10-2023, 11:38 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Mavs back to 6th place in West.  Really need a little 5-game win streak here.

Mavs have to go on the road East. This is going to be fluid the rest of the season. The standings are too close for one team to get separation. The Lakers are back in it without LeBron and who would have thought that a month ago.

(03-10-2023, 03:39 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: https://twitter.com/Underdog__NBA/status/1634278400851431426

Redditors mentioning someone in his “family” passed away recently.

Him and Luka are out. Memphis thrashed the Warriors last game with no Ja, Clarke and Adams. Not going to be a easy game.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - Chicagojk - 03-11-2023

Kyrie out with a foot injury.  Hello .500.

It is not the biggest need, but Dallas needs a third guy who can lead an offense next year.  No reason why they went into the season without one.  There are a ton of guys who they could have gotten to fill that need.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - SwisherPrice - 03-11-2023

Embarrassing...letting David Roddy torch them for 24 points. Teams just have zero respect for the Mavs' front court and it won't change anytime soon. Powell will get a big contract extension and Kleber will continue to be touted as a defensive savior for the next 5 years

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - Chicagojk - 03-11-2023

No game thread, but a fun game.  Mavs almost stole a win but poor free throw shooting, late turnovers and a great Roddy fourth proved a little too much.

Green was shaky in the first half but was great in the second.  Dude just needs to play and not think.  Much better in faster pace and when he gets more touches.

Saw the really good from Hardy and the areas where he is not quite ready yet.  But with this team, you need to play him.  He already wants the ball after he makes a mistake.  He knows he belongs.  He always has.  Great for a rookie second rounder.

Nice minutes from Wright.  If this team makes the playoffs, don’t you need to consider releasing Frank or Pinson for him?  Offense was much better tonight when he was in the game.

Not a great perforce by Reggie and Powell.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - donzingis38 - 03-11-2023

Never thought the Lakers could actually pass us. It's going to happen this coming week.

Kidd has been so disappointing, man. What a shit year. Never thought coaching would be our main issue this season.

Feels like this team never truly recovered from blowing a 22pt lead vs Suns in game 1 of the season.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - ballsrchr - 03-11-2023

(03-11-2023, 10:29 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: No game thread, but a fun game.  Mavs almost stole a win but poor free throw shooting, late turnovers and a great Roddy fourth proved a little too much.

Green was shaky in the first half but was great in the second.  Dude just needs to play and not think.  Much better in faster pace and when he gets more touches.

Saw the really good from Hardy and the areas where he is not quite ready yet.  But with this team, you need to play him.  He already wants the ball after he makes a mistake.  He knows he belongs.  He always has.  Great for a rookie second rounder.

Nice minutes from Wright.  If this team makes the playoffs, don’t you need to consider releasing Frank or Pinson for him?  Offense was much better tonight when he was in the game.

Not a great perforce by Reggie and Powell.

I agree with this.  We have some trade fodder...but Wright is not one of them.

Maybe we could trade our coach for--anybody...

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - IamDougieFresh - 03-12-2023

https://twitter.com/keefmorris/status/1634769966414147584?s=46&t=-lW3MUk_hy_SiUq46U-6RA

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - HoosierDaddyKid - 03-12-2023

(03-11-2023, 10:35 PM)donzingis38 Wrote: Never thought the Lakers could actually pass us. It's going to happen this coming week.

Kidd has been so disappointing, man. What a shit year. Never thought coaching would be our main issue this season.

Feels like this team never truly recovered from blowing a 22pt lead vs Suns in game 1 of the season.

If they beat the Knicks at home tonight, they will tie the Mavs and T-Wolves at .500

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - Chicagojk - 03-12-2023

Smart, tough defenders are going to be huge this off-season.  Hardy is another one who is legit but he will always struggle being even average on defense.  

I wish I had confidence in this front office finding another DFS and Maxi.  It doesn’t happen overnight, but they are eventually,  maybe soon, are going to need replacements for Bullock and Maxi.  It would be nice if they found them in house.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - ThisIStheYear - 03-12-2023

The defense stinks but the offense isn’t even good enough. 9th best rating is absurd.  They weren’t good enough on offense last year either.  If you have Luka and an offensive minded supporting cast, you should be top 2, no question.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - loki - 03-12-2023

(03-12-2023, 11:58 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The defense stinks but the offense isn’t even good enough. 9th best rating is absurd.  They weren’t good enough on offense last year either.  If you have Luka and an offensive minded supporting cast, you should be top 2, no question.

It's a small sample size, but their offensive rating since the trade for Kyrie would be #1 if sustained through the entire season.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - IamDougieFresh - 03-15-2023

W

https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1636025741228777472?s=46&t=-lW3MUk_hy_SiUq46U-6RA

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - SleepingHero - 03-15-2023

(03-15-2023, 01:39 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: W

https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1636025741228777472?s=46&t=-lW3MUk_hy_SiUq46U-6RA

HUGE W.

Hopefully we can get better options for streaming in the future.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - SleepingHero - 03-18-2023

Warriors, Pelicans, Timberwolves and Portland all lost tonight. Probably as good of a result as you could've hoped for. MEM almost lost too, but I'll take 4/5 Smile 

Edwards just got hurt for Minnesota too. Hopefully he isn't hurt too bad but without Edwards MIN is dead in the water.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - omahen - 03-23-2023

I very much agree with this piece

The Dallas Mavericks Are Taking a Gap Year They Can't Afford | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - Chicagojk - 03-23-2023

(03-23-2023, 07:52 AM)omahen Wrote: I very much agree with this piece

The Dallas Mavericks Are Taking a Gap Year They Can't Afford | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

The healthy, available and committed Irving is the big concern.   I think a competent front office can put us in a much better spot next year and for the years moving forward if they make smart moves.    

On the court, Irving has been really fun to watch.   I have enjoyed his play more than I thought I would and I really like his disposition on the court.  

But, there is definitely concern in the back of my head.     Does he blow up a situation like he did in Boston and New Jersey. Both situations were different and you can make a case that he wasn't totally at fault with both.  But both were teams that really needed him and should have been contenders.  If he does that here (and why wouldn't he eventually), this thing is like a house of cards and could come tumbling down fast.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - omahen - 03-23-2023

(03-23-2023, 08:34 AM)Chicagojk Wrote:  Does he blow up a situation like he did in Boston and New Jersey.

And Cleveland. Irving might be well liked by (some?) players, but looking as a grown man, he is far from being a role model I would want my kids to look up to. I just find it extremely difficult to agree with his views of the world. I sure hope the experience will work out, but I don't really have much trust about it in the long term

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - KillerLeft - 03-23-2023

(03-23-2023, 01:14 PM)omahen Wrote: And Cleveland. Irving might be well liked by (some?) players, but looking as a grown man, he is far from being a role model I would want my kids to look up to. I just find it extremely difficult to agree with his views of the world. I sure hope the experience will work out, but I don't really have much trust about it in the long term

I agree, but at this point, they need to max him and get his sig on the dotted line. No way around it. 

They could get something for facilitating his path to a team of his choosing, but it probably won't be commensurate with the value of DFS/Dinwiddie/unprtected '29 (UNPROTECTED!!). 

Even if he's not a fit, better to sign him and trade him a year or two into the deal, after (hopefully) a relatively quiet time here. Or, maybe he fits great and they keep him. Anything but one of those two outcomes and it was one of the dumber trades I can remember.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - SkenfromLMF - 03-23-2023

(03-15-2023, 01:39 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: W

Not sure this is exactly good news. IF they can convince a a bankruptcy court that the rights to the games are protectable assets then the contracts will stay in place until they expire (or Bally emerges from Bankruptcy).

BTW I have a theory that the NBA & NHL colluded to to damage Bally -

3 years ago, there was consistently a run of 4 out 5 (sometimes 5 out of 7) nights that there was either a Stars game or a Mavs game on Bally. Very rarely did we have to access ALT (.1 or -1) channels on Bally to get a game due to double booking game nights. This year it is polar opposite: Many (I would say most) nights the Stars and Mavs are either double scheduled (home/road) on the same night so that even if they were staggered where one was on the West Coast, it forced Bally to use multiple channels to provide both broadcasts. This scheduling without a doubt seriously hurt Bally's ratings. Knowing that both leagues are unhappy with Bally and their hold on streaming rights, this cannot be a mere coincidence. I think there is something brewing and both leagues through their respective offices are aware of how the other is handling scheduling. I would wager a great deal that Gary Bettman (NHL Commissioner) still has a great many contacts in the NBA Offices if not direct access to the Commissioner's office from his time as Adam Silver's predecessor under Stern.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 24th D | 19th Net | 8th in West - ItsGoTime - 03-23-2023

(03-23-2023, 01:33 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree, but at this point, they need to max him and get his sig on the dotted line. No way around it. 

They could get something for facilitating his path to a team of his choosing, but it probably won't be commensurate with the value of DFS/Dinwiddie/unprtected '29 (UNPROTECTED!!). 

Even if he's not a fit, better to sign him and trade him a year or two into the deal, after (hopefully) a relatively quiet time here. Or, maybe he fits great and they keep him. Anything but one of those two outcomes and it was one of the dumber trades I can remember.
Regardless of me liking his current on court play, this is exactly my thoughts with him. 

We can even look at things now where he plays 1-3 games and is out 1-3 games. I’ve argued that Kidd plays him too many minutes, but that pattern when he’s trying to secure his future contract looks to me to just be worse when he’s not. 

We absolutely have to sign him for whatever will keep him here, then trade him for as much as we can get as soon as we can.