MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - Scott41theMavs - 01-18-2023

(01-18-2023, 11:02 AM)Kammrath Wrote: From the article:

I like the article commentary. Shows that the Mavs recognize that 1) they have to improve short-term, AND 2) keep their major assets (future firsts) for the future. I get that everyone's concerned that they'll overdo the first, but the balance in their mind is good news.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - omahen - 01-18-2023

(01-18-2023, 12:02 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I like the article commentary. Shows that the Mavs recognize that 1) they have to improve short-term, AND 2) keep their major assets (future firsts) for the future. I get that everyone's concerned that they'll overdo the first, but the balance in their mind is good news.

Every trade partner knows Mavs are desperate and will be more desperate after each passing deadline. In a market where sellers are rare and a range of potential contenders is very broad, prices will certainly be high. I think way out for Mavs is:
(at TDL) another Wood like gamble for a player with question marks with everyone praying it will work out
(in the summer) all in on a legit 2-way wing

Another comment - McMahon is writing a book about Luka focused on the pressure a young star brings on an organization. A lot of sentences from that article seem as sentences that should be in such book Smile

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-18-2023

(01-18-2023, 12:34 PM)omahen Wrote: I think way out for Mavs is:
(at TDL) another Wood like gamble for a player with question marks with everyone praying it will work out

This is the way.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - Chicagojk - 01-18-2023

(01-18-2023, 09:28 AM)omahen Wrote: Keith Smith on Twitter: "AJ Lawson's Two-Way contract with the Dallas Mavericks is a two-year deal, a league source told @spotrac." / Twitter

Good.  I have no idea if he can play, but he fits the measurables.   Ideally, I would want one two way guy who plan is to make the roster the next season and then another on a two year plan.   That doesn't mean you stick with them, but that should be the vision.    Next year, I hope we either buy a pick late or go very aggressive at an UDFA type right away and sign him as a two way.

(01-18-2023, 12:34 PM)omahen Wrote: Every trade partner knows Mavs are desperate and will be more desperate after each passing deadline. In a market where sellers are rare and a range of potential contenders is very broad, prices will certainly be high. I think way out for Mavs is:

Another comment - McMahon is writing a book about Luka focused on the pressure a young star brings on an organization. A lot of sentences from that article seem as sentences that should be in such book Smile

Yeah, that is what I have been thinking as well.  Although, I was thinking another Wood type gamble may be this offseason.   I am trying to think who may qualify at this trade deadline.    Mavs are going to need to gamble on some upcoming moves.   Lets hope they have put in the work and are lucky when they decide to do so.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - ItsGoTime - 01-18-2023

(01-18-2023, 01:29 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Good.  I have no idea if he can play, but he fits the measurables.   Ideally, I would want one two way guy who plan is to make the roster the next season and then another on a two year plan.   That doesn't mean you stick with them, but that should be the vision.    Next year, I hope we either buy a pick late or go very aggressive at an UDFA type right away and sign him as a two way.

Yeah, that is what I have been thinking as well.  Although, I was thinking another Wood type gamble may be this offseason.   I am trying to think who may qualify at this trade deadline.    Mavs are going to need to gamble on some upcoming moves.   Lets hope they have put in the work and are lucky when they decide to do so.
To me, that Rozier rumor fits the bill (it gets us pretty close to last year’s team because we don’t have to use SD like a Russell trade would). Biggest issue is getting the prize to go with him, because being stuck with his contract for 3 1/2 more years would be dangerous too.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - F Gump - 01-18-2023

(01-18-2023, 10:57 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Just to add to the pile of defensive stats without our defensive players.  This kind of shows that we were getting real close to the balance you want right before everyone went down:

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1614683828521504775?s=20&t=vRxd_w_Ia1zSl2qDSD-7ww

I don't think it showed that, unfortunately. I looked closely, excited by your comment, but I don't think that's what was there. Unless I missed something, of course.

The ranking numbers showed that when the offense got better, the defense got worse (and vice versa). If we rank both the offense and the defense on a scale from 1-10, the total of the two was always about a 10. A 9 and a 1, or a 1 and a 9, and so on.

At one point in the season both were mediocre 5s, still adding up to a 10, but there was never a time when both were good.

(01-18-2023, 11:14 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Absolutely why I think the pressure is good. 

But until I see this organization prioritize the draft and the development of 25 and under talent and lose its fascination with guys who have already peaked and start selling high on its own players, I will be skeptical.

Agree 100%. And all this derives from Cuban and his preferences -- and the limits of his skill as the (defacto) GM.

I've said it a million times -- Cuban is not good enough to set the direction and make the decisions. But he thinks he is. What they need is an EXPERT to do the roster-building.

Whether Luka's words are an effective wake-up call remain to be seen. I'm pessimistic of Cuban having the humility to accept the truth he needs an EXPERT and act on it, in light of the way Cuban responded to that mural about Luka needing help.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - Chicagojk - 01-18-2023

Put the crack pipe down Tim

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1615820089093144576?s=20&t=mj6O6V54KskdZrwwzzTMzg

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - cow - 01-18-2023

It will take Luka bailing, if that, for Cuban to change his ways.  I could just as easily see Cuban penning a Dan Gilbert style letter to the Dallas Morning News.  Cuban has all of the Joneses worst traits with none of the positives.

(01-18-2023, 12:02 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I like the article commentary. Shows that the Mavs recognize that 1) they have to improve short-term, AND 2) keep their major assets (future firsts) for the future. I get that everyone's concerned that they'll overdo the first, but the balance in their mind is good news.

That's an excellent, and very fair, observation.

The article did point out how the Mavs have been diligent in preserving their draft assets for a future stab at a star.

OTOH What wasn't said, and what continues to be concerning, is that Cuban is fairly clueless about how to acquire more assets as they go along. He has regularly put finances above acquiring assets, where instead of picking up this extra asset or that given the opportunity, they instead (supposedly) are keeping more money to spend later (which they don't spend). All he can do is hoard what the NBA gives him, and then spend all they have, like with KP. It's the ability to gather more -- to keep the pipeline full and keep refilling it, even after you spend, that has been way beyond Cuban's level of expertise. (And unfortunately, the competition does know how to do this, which leaves the bad-GM'ed Mavs working with a handicap in roster building.)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - Kammrath - 01-18-2023

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1615820089093144576

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - sterlingmallory - 01-18-2023

(01-18-2023, 05:01 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1615820089093144576

Cuban denying it means it's true

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - Kammrath - 01-18-2023

https://twitter.com/MikeBacsik/status/1615833314543247383

McMahon tweeting Cuban's denial of what TM wrote (MacMahon: "Mark Cuban denies that Luka Doncic has indicated he wants the roster to be upgraded before the trade deadline") is a major in-your-face call out.  

This is TM saying "I see you saying I don't know what I'm talking about, and I want everyone else to see you say that as well."

Either Luka is saying it (which means TM got it right, and Cuban is full of crap) or he isn't (in which case TM is just making crap up). 

This has the potential to expose one or the other as quite the liar.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - Mavs2021 - 01-18-2023

These are hard times for Cuban. Usually he had the Knicks and Kings to shield him from becoming the focus of bad ownership. Now our little snowflake is the center of attention. Tongue

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - LifeAquatic - 01-18-2023

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-18-2023

(01-18-2023, 04:44 PM)F Gump Wrote: I don't think it showed that, unfortunately. I looked closely, excited by your comment, but I don't think that's what was there. Unless I missed something, of course.

The ranking numbers showed that when the offense got better, the defense got worse (and vice versa). If we rank both the offense and the defense on a scale from 1-10, the total of the two was always about a 10. A 9 and a 1, or a 1 and a 9, and so on.

At one point in the season both were mediocre 5s, still adding up to a 10, but there was never a time when both were good.

I feel like just before those injuries hit you had both coming together close to top 10 offense and top 10 defense.  We had to sacrifice some offense to get there but that balance was what I was eluding to.  Since then we've had to go all offense and it's starting to show on the screen as well as in that graph.

You're right, mostly. In looking closer, it looks like the overall place on the scale is a bit higher than I noticed. So at one point they were about 10th and 10th. And they have been 1st/20th and 20th/1st, more or less.

But the chart does look like it's always been a trade-off. When the offense gets better, the defense gets worse, and vice-versa -- and by about the same amount.

I'm guessing that's a personnel thing, and perhaps points to the skill sets of players who are essentially one-way talents. If you play a bunch of offense-only guys, the offense is better and the defense is worse. And the reverse is true as well.

This team really needs two-way talents.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - speedkilz88 - 01-18-2023

https://twitter.com/SportsSturm/status/1615840432969195522

(01-18-2023, 05:43 PM)F Gump Wrote: This team really needs two-way talents.

Amen