MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - IamDougieFresh - 01-17-2023

(01-17-2023, 03:03 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Kidd said both Green and DFS both practiced and hopeful both can go tomorrow.   Hardaway did not practice, so he is probably out, I think

46 games in we finally might get to see the best version of the Mavs (minus Maxi unfortunately).

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - Kammrath - 01-17-2023

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1615492176171106305

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - ItsGoTime - 01-17-2023

With Tim out does that mean Green starts?

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - IamDougieFresh - 01-17-2023

(01-17-2023, 07:24 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: With Tim out does that mean Green starts?

It's probably going to be Luka - Spencer - Reggie - DFS - Wood unfortunately.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - Mavs2021 - 01-17-2023

(01-17-2023, 05:34 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: One thing that injuries to a team can really highlight is how much national pundits are really paying attention to details at a team level (it's very difficult so it's not really their fault).  Hollinger watching a game with 5 of our 8 rotation players out and trying to make anything of "the rest of the roster" is kind of funny to me.

Russilo did this the other day in his podcast.  He admittedly doesn't watch a lot of Mavs because "Luka is so good it's boring" and then when listing off injuries "that should be noted" he kind of laughed at the idea "the also keep listing Josh Green because I guess he's a huge part of the rotation now".  Shit like that drives me crazy, Josh Green was arguably our 2nd most consistent contributor before he got hurt and we get some sarcastic hand waiving from a guy who prides himself on reporting player development?

It's just weird to me because I like a respect Russilo because he clearly watches a TON of games but it's always clear to me who isn't watching YOUR games when they say stuff like that.

Green is still a 7/2/1 guy. The shooting numbers and the advanced stats are good this year, but I hardly blame national writers not knowing that. They can´t go that deep into the analysis of every player on 30 different teams.

I think the real problem is that the national doesn´t nearly sh*t enough on all the dumb stuff Cuban does. If Skip wasn´t such a bum, he could have wound up Cuban to no end and finally gotten his revenge for 2011. Big Grin

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - mvossman - 01-17-2023

(01-17-2023, 07:29 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: It's probably going to be Luka - Spencer - Reggie - DFS - Wood unfortunately.

It makes sense.  Reggie is showing signs of pulling his head out of his ass and Green is coming back from a long injury layoff.  Probably not the time to insert him into the starting lineup.  That lineup is still more balanced than what we have had in a long time and having Green and Powell play significant minutes form the bench means we might be able to play some defense this game.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - SleepingHero - 01-17-2023

(01-17-2023, 05:34 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Russilo did this the other day in his podcast.  He admittedly doesn't watch a lot of Mavs because "Luka is so good it's boring" and then when listing off injuries "that should be noted" he kind of laughed at the idea "the also keep listing Josh Green because I guess he's a huge part of the rotation now".  Shit like that drives me crazy, Josh Green was arguably our 2nd most consistent contributor before he got hurt and we get some sarcastic hand waiving from a guy who prides himself on reporting player development?

It's just weird to me because I like a respect Russilo because he clearly watches a TON of games but it's always clear to me who isn't watching YOUR games when they say stuff like that.

THIS THIS THIS! +41 +77

I love to listen to Russilo and Simmons and Lowe, but there is no way these guys can give in depth takes for every team. And you can tell when they're on top of a team vs. regurgitating some incorrect tropes found online. 

I feel like they're always a little off on the Mavs. Simmons is usually the most accurate in his takes because he says he watches a lot of Luka (plus he probably had Haralabob feeding him info while he was here).

It's infuriating.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - Kammrath - 01-18-2023

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1615631861736247298

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - omahen - 01-18-2023

Keith Smith on Twitter: "AJ Lawson's Two-Way contract with the Dallas Mavericks is a two-year deal, a league source told @spotrac." / Twitter

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-18-2023

(01-17-2023, 08:04 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Green is still a 7/2/1 guy. The shooting numbers and the advanced stats are good this year, but I hardly blame national writers not knowing that. They can´t go that deep into the analysis of every player on 30 different teams.

Ya agree which is kind of what I was trying to say (about not being able to go that deep on 30 teams).  Just disappointing when it's coming from guys who pride themselves on being focused on young player development like Russilo because Green should be someone to highlight in terms of a second to third year jump.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - Kammrath - 01-18-2023

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/1615739293963624448

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1615739662743519232

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-18-2023

Just to add to the pile of defensive stats without our defensive players.  This kind of shows that we were getting real close to the balance you want right before everyone went down:

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1614683828521504775?s=20&t=vRxd_w_Ia1zSl2qDSD-7ww

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - KillerLeft - 01-18-2023

(01-18-2023, 10:57 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1615739662743519232

Some might disagree, but I think this is a positive development. Too much pressure from Luka might cause some dumb, panic moves, but just the right amount could be what's needed to wake this front office up.

(01-18-2023, 11:00 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Some might disagree, but I think this is a positive development. Too much pressure from Luka might cause some dumb, panic moves, but just the right amount could be what's needed to wake this front office up.

From the article:

Quote:The Mavs are well aware of a modern NBA math problem: Unhappy stars who have only two guaranteed years remaining on their contracts have leverage if they're looking to leave. For reference, see Anthony Davis and the New Orleans Pelicans or James Harden and the Houston Rockets.

That doesn't necessarily mean Doncic will request a trade if the Mavs haven't put a contender-quality supporting cast in place by the summer of 2024. But the Mavs, like the Hawks with Young, surely don't want to fiddle around and find out.

For the Mavs in particular, that means having to balance trying to put the most competitive roster in place this season against diminishing the potential to deal for a co-star in the near future. The latter would likely require a bundle of first-round picks, so the Mavs must be extremely selective while considering giving up a pick now.

"It's a really tough spot," a pro personnel scout for a contending team told ESPN. "And it's the pressure great players place on the organization. You want to be good, but the balance of patience and competitiveness is a really hard line to walk."

(01-18-2023, 11:00 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Some might disagree, but I think this is a positive development. Too much pressure from Luka might cause some dumb, panic moves, but just the right amount could be what's needed to wake this front office up.

I think the pressure is good. But I think it will lead to short term solutions and long term disaster. I hope I am proved wrong.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - KillerLeft - 01-18-2023

(01-18-2023, 11:03 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I think the pressure is good. But I think it will lead to short term solutions and long term disaster. I hope I am proved wrong.

Sure, that risk is real. 

I just think Cuban got really comfortable with Dirk, and I think a sliiiiiiiight nudge from Luka now might help him understand that this is a different situation.

(01-18-2023, 11:08 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I just think Cuban got really comfortable with Dirk, and I think a sliiiiiiiight nudge from Luka now might help him understand that this is a different situation.

Absolutely why I think the pressure is good. 

But until I see this organization prioritize the draft and the development of 25 and under talent and lose its fascination with guys who have already peaked and start selling high on its own players, I will be skeptical.

(01-18-2023, 11:03 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I think the pressure is good. But I think it will lead to short term solutions and long term disaster. I hope I am proved wrong.

This terrifies me.

(01-18-2023, 11:08 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Sure, that risk is real. 

I just think Cuban got really comfortable with Dirk, and I think a sliiiiiiiight nudge from Luka now might help him understand that this is a different situation.

I agree with this sentiment, I just hope that the nudge and slight and understanding of the current situation.

You don't want a Lebron situation who has just straight up decimated multiple rosters now.